Exalted General - /exg/

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release:
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf
>Backer Charm Book:
mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies:
mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

>Resources for Previous Editions:
pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Miracles of the Solar Exalted is out. While we've already got the leak, this version has the Errata and a previously missing Resistance charm.

drivethrurpg.com/product/184596/Miracles-of-the-Solar-Exalted

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/881714-a-clutch-of-dragons-hub-thread
docs.google.com/document/d/1sG52v0QCij7-vI0Y3Mb2s2gusu8dfkzdUOLkmMshw3Q/edit#
inuitmyths.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hm, I'd hoped they added more errata since adding the missing charm - oh well.

So just recently picked up the PDF and there are two problems Im kind of trying to wrap my head around. For context my experince with tabletops is mostly D&D, Shadowrun, and Savage Worlds.

1st. Exactly what is supposed to amount to progression in this game? From what I gather the PC's already start out something akin to near max D&D characters and with the traits/Resources you already can start out with all the riches and other toys that would come out of that. So exactly where do you go outside of the usual "And then we conquer the world"?

2nd. Exactly to what extents are the PC's assumed to be "Good Guys" The book kind of paints the Solars as these perfect and pure beings, and how the whole affair with Sidereals way back was just the Sidereals being dicks when they should have just talked it out. But from other sources such as forums online that apparently was not always the case. Is that true? Or did the setting lore get rewritten across editions

Thanks you all in advance. So far it seems like it could be a fun system.

I wonder if they reworded Poised Lion Attitude so that it does something.

Most of the world thinks you're a demon possessing a body, so not really that good of a thing. Also, Creation-America-China-USSR wants to kill you. Creation-CIA too.

a quick addressing of these points

1) Exalted is a game about the consequences of power almost as much as the power you yourself have. Let players do insane shit with their power, then follow through on how that would actually work out.

2) Solars are not inherently "good guys", they inflect to the classical world's definition of "heroism" which is just "a person of great power/deed", divorced from ethics.

I strongly recommend hemming in character concepts to the game theme you want to run as an ST, or else you get shitty games.

Same wording.

So basically the Spiderman problem?

Yep, except they can spy on you from Heaven and send color-coded assassins. UNLESS the other heavenly spy organization intervenes. It gets complicated. Best to ignore it unless you want to use it for plot.

A person becomes a Solar by being excellent in a particular human endeavor, and winning a lottery. So, some crazy ninja who can throw ten babies into the air, take a flying leap, and disembowel all ten of them before they hit the ground, is way further ahead in line than a dude who saves one puppy from one burning building. The Flying Baby Disembowelment Typhoon is just more technically impressive, objectively speaking, and the Solar Exaltation doesn't make moral judgments. Morals are tricky, arbitrary things that change with the times, and Exaltation is an eternal thing, created by very ancient beings whose personal morals skew towards heroin addiction and railing lots of prostitutes consecutively.

That doesn't stop you, or anyone else (as in, most people playing the game), from making all of your Solars shining exemplars of social justice who swoop in to free slaves and teach people about gender pronouns, before flying into the sunset on a chariot of technicolor transgender ponies and kitten giggles.

>>That doesn't stop you, or anyone else (as in, most people playing the game), from making all of your Solars shining exemplars of social justice who swoop in to free slaves and teach people about gender pronouns, before flying into the sunset on a chariot of technicolor transgender ponies and kitten giggles.

Not saying I have anything against good Solars, but thats just asking to get ejected from a game for being a huge shitter.

>That doesn't stop you, or anyone else (as in, most people playing the game), from making all of your Solars shining exemplars of social justice who swoop in to free slaves and teach people about gender pronouns, before flying into the sunset on a chariot of technicolor transgender ponies and kitten giggles.
Prince Diamond: "Um. Wow. Okay. This is *very* problematic."

What do you mean?

Prince Diamond is a whiny little bitch that needs to die so that Exaltation can go to someone who isn't a waste of space.

I am a Solar with no Charms (somehow).

A hobo with a knife jumps out at me and tries to shank me with a rusty spoon.

I spend a single action to use a Presence based Social Influence to attempt to convince him to go home and think about his life. I do not take another action. I do not flurry. I merely take a single Presence-based Social Influence action in combat.

This is completely covered by the core rules.

Guess what Poised Lion Attitude does?

>This Charm allows the Exalt to engage in Presence or Socialize based social influence on her turn during combat without the use of a flurry.

(That's the entire rules text. There is no additional context.)

OH WAIT I CAN ALREADY DO THAT. The charm does nothing as worded.

What I'm pretty sure they meant was that it lets you flurry a non-social combat action and a social combat action without taking a penalty. But that's not even remotely close to what it says.

>implying that anybody should be allowed to edit Morke's work for clarity
Good one.

Has anything else changed in the book, besides the inclusion of the missing charm? Care to post the PDF for us?

You sound like a bitter 2E fan. Show the page number where Exalted touched you.

It was page XX

No? 2E was garbage. 3E is somewhat less garbage, as far as RPGs go. Overall, I like it better.

You clearly have something to get off your chest. Why not share it? We're here to discuss, after all. You might find it more satisfying than trying ineffectually to insult a stranger on the internet.

You do realize you could be fighting this person, defending yourself, or taking any other action in the game and also get a free Social Action at them.

LESSONS CLAD IN WHITE MARBLE STYLE

Student's Sutra of alienation:

Once, there was a maiden,
Who was tasked with protection of Heaven.
Beset by enemies from eight directions, she decided to build a wall.
She built that wall even as cement destroyed her skin.
She built that wall even as bricks warped her spine.
She built that wall even as Heaven screamed in protest.
"Survive is to split off the Other", — she said.

Master's Sutra of alienation:

Why did the Maiden build the wall?

To keep the Mexicans out.

STAR-SHINING CHIPPED BEHEMOTH STYLE

Student's Sutra of safety:

Once, there was a maiden...
...who was terribly wronged,
And her kin were in ruins.
So she sold her house
And clad herself in finest armours,
Yet did not feel safe.
She seduced an armorsmith,
and put him to toil,
Yet did not feel safe.
She bought luck and traded freedom.
Yet did not feel safe.
"I must save myself", she said.

Master's Sutra of safety:

So she dug out a great pit, and lined the walls with her ribs.
She cured her flesh to charcoal, and fired the pit.
She boiled her blood to iron,
And struck it into a blade
with a hammer of bone.
She quenched it in her tears, and sharpened it on her spine.

As the blade entered her enemy's heart,
"I'm safe now," — it whispered.

Would a kind user explain to me how one gets into god sanctums, what they're called (is it sanctum? its been years), and so forth in 3e? I genuinely can't figure out how an exalt, or whoever, could get into a god's sanctum other than by trickery. Any other info would help, I think its like a pocket dimension

/exg/, I have begun to finally import A Clutch of Dragons homebrew found here into my character sheet.

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/881714-a-clutch-of-dragons-hub-thread

The most important part however, before any work can begin, I need an appropriate default portrait for Dragonbloods. Pic related is what I have for Sidereals and Solars, does anyone have such a picture that would perfectly encapsulate the Dragonblooded as a whole? I was of course thinking some Sentai team but no specific picture springs to mind.

We build the wall to keep us free
We build the wall to keep out the enemy.

There's no mention of gods having sanctums in the corebook.

But, otherwise, custom Occult charms would do it.

God, the new signature Circle in 3E is fucking awful.

> That doesn't stop you, or anyone else (as in, most people playing the game), from making all of your Solars shining exemplars of social justice who swoop in to free slaves and teach people about gender pronouns, before flying into the sunset on a chariot of technicolor transgender ponies and kitten giggles.

Jesus fucking christ. Maybe Primordial rule wasn't so bad after all.

At least they don't have a black man.
Named Panther.
Whose goal is to free the slaves.

I joked about a bunch of rings like this after Avatar came out and everyone was talking about how they can use it for inspiration for Dragon-Blooded games.

>There's no mention of gods having sanctums in the corebook.
Jewel of the Celestial Mandarin

Keep them coming if you have more. I love the sidereal sutras.

Uh... You do realize that the clear intention of that Charm is to allow you to use social action AND other actions without flurrying? It could be worded better but it's not that hard to rule at your table.

Things have changed. In 2e solar exaltation was a floating ball that went around scanning for targets and then latched itself on the nearest person who met all the magic solar criteria.
Now it just means getting chosen by the unconquered sun. There may or may not be a pattern to his choosing depending on the table.

>Solar Exaltation usually arrives in a moment of great stress, danger, pressure, or turmoil. The Solar feels a great rush of energy suffusing her, and begins to instinctively draw on her Essence for the first time. Her Caste Mark erupts on her brow, and her anima banner quickly builds to the fullness of its radiant splendor—a state in which it will remain for several hours. Often the Solar finds herself facing a difficult or insurmountable trial of some sort, and Exaltation grants her the power necessary to survive or triumph. Solar Exaltation could bless anyone of sufficient mettle at any time and station of life—it has uplifted princes and paupers, children and great-grandfathers, savants and sell-swords, saints and assassins.

Straight from the corebook.

Yeah and thats different from how things worked in 2e. In 2e if there wasn't a exaltation in your area when you did your cool thing then touch shit better luck next time. Now it simply happens to who it should, when it should.

There's no explicit "you won the lottery" thing but I'm dubious the reader is intended to take it as Perfect Divine Intent when it's also explicit that Solars fight among themselves.

ARMS FUCKING WHEN?

When you write it.

Hey y'all, I've been working on an Exalted 3e Storytelling chapter. Basically information on how one can plan, run, and stat things in Exalted for the ST. For the player side, I also go into detail about custom charm Creation and some charm breakdowns for abilities.

Still somewhat WIP, but I'm mainly wondering what else I could add to chapter 2 (How to run the game) aside from what I got down here already.

docs.google.com/document/d/1sG52v0QCij7-vI0Y3Mb2s2gusu8dfkzdUOLkmMshw3Q/edit#

DB book is next, according to Miracles.

I just want help with my N/A longfang

I have all of them, right now.

So does anyone in this thread have the new backer PDF with the errata? Can you drop it in the thread if you do?

Couldn't you just spend $4 ?

I'm a poorfag.

It's functionally the same, with a charm that works as a slightly above average Diamond Body Prana, which is incompatible with DBP. It's also got the NOT REAL Tag.

Still, though. I'd like to be able to read through the PDF and not recall an hour later that I'm not missing a charm. Besides, aren't we going to be making a folder with every Ex3 book, like we did with the last two editions?

>So exactly where do you go outside of the usual "And then we conquer the world"?

Even that is a pretty damn tall order. The world is fricken huge and you can't be everywhere, see everywhere, and punch everyone/thing at once.

You're Superman, but Exalted doesn't just ask you to punch villains and avert natural disasters, it also asks you to stop world hunger, end racism, fix the economy, solve the crime issue, end religious extremism, and other more subtle things that can't be fixed merely by punching stuff or even throwing a lot of money at it.

>>Exactly to what extents are the PC's assumed to be "Good Guys" The book kind of paints the Solars as these perfect and pure beings, and how the whole affair with Sidereals way back was just the Sidereals being dicks when they should have just talked it out. But from other sources such as forums online that apparently was not always the case. Is that true? Or did the setting lore get rewritten across editions

Exalted are god-kings. Some are nice. Some are dicks. All are capable of amazing things. Player Exalted are generally expected to be good (even if all the others were dicks) but it's kind of up to them and the storyteller to determine whether or not it was worth it. Was putting up with the bad apples some horrible god-kings worth putting up with the good ones?

Also, you might be Superman but other people are Superman too who might not agree with your implementation or rule even though neither of you are good/evil.

In Exalted, you're not supposed to take any Divine Intent as being Perfect.

300 Supermen running around, 400 or so Martian Manhunters, 100 Dr Stranges, and 10000 Batmans. All of them with their own view of how the world should be.

It's worth noting that Solars are the easiest splat to 'get'. Dragon-blooded, weirdly enough, are hard. One PC was pretty confused that his mother was apparently younger and more attractive than his actual love interest, a mortal.

(That was an absolute shitshow of a session, by the way, and the last time we played 2E.)

What

How does that even happen

DBs age way slower than mortals.

The mother probably(?) wasn't age wise actually younger but just appeared to be because being an Exalt is a helluva drug.

She had Breeding 3, and looked like a woman in her early 20s. Her unexalted son, who aged normally, looked older than her.

It just illustrates how weird things can get. Like, the PC - a prenaturally skilled swordsman - is less dangerous fully armed and armored than his mother was when she was in casual clothing. (Particularly since she practiced Air Dragon Style.)

So, a challenge for your sense of good taste and measure. Give us a good Iconic - the kind you'd be content to see in the Core. That would illustrate Exalted, Solars and their Caste well, without going for bizarre subversions or oversimplifications.

are there any statted first circle demons from adorjan?

Demons Descending from the Silent Wind:

1st Circle: Jacint, the Prince Upon the Tower:

->2nd Circle: Zsofika, the Kite Flute

->->->3rd Circle:
Angyalkae, the Harpists
Teodozjia, the Lions Sent into the World

->2nd Circle: Gumela, the Jeweled Auditor

->->->3rd Circle:
Amphelisiae, the Teakettle Courtiers
Demjen, the Quickeners of Ores
Marottes, the Hopping Puppeteers

All of them are statted.

You got your circles backwards.

Shit, messed up the hierarchy - Circles go the other way around.

I'll just repost my Starter Demonologist Handbook.

Lunars need a knack to talk as an animal right?

It's really old but this is an A+ post

What are some good animals from the north for a full moon totem warrior? Wolf, bear, et all are a bit obvious. I want something unique,

Yeti or something. Turn big and hairy.

yep

A mammoth. A walrus.

IIRC I did say such a thing in the exalt break, so I covered my ass there.

Why are all the serious candidates for the Realm throne hot redheads?

Pattern Spiders did it

This is a 200 years old Dragon-blooded. She probably has score of wrinkled great-grand son with grey hair.

because they are directly related to the scarlet empress who has red hair?

>Dragon-blooded, weirdly enough, are hard.

Not really. They are thematically powerful - Chinese wuxia family dynasties, with lots of backstabbing and manipulation. But the strength of their thematics is enough for anyone to get them almost immediately.

When you paint the matriarch of your family in silk kimono discussing about your familial duties while strolling under the moon, people just get it. When you talk about backstabbing dynasties and the strength of the imperial chine- I mean, Realm army, people get it.

Solars can be far more difficult to get, because there thematics are more diluted. They are heroes. Good news, heroes are everywhere and can be anyone. Sure, but they are shining heroes. Well, okay, but what does that mean, explicitly? What's the tone of my characters? How should I interact with others? What's the tone of the campaign? Should I play a divine paladin? What?

Lunars are really tricky to get too when people want to play something else than a barbarian. Lunar barbarians of the wild are easy to explain and play, but what happens when you play a Lunar socialite? A Lunar crafter? A Lunar lore-master?

Abyssals and Infernals are easy. You are emo kid / vampire count and rock star from hell, respectively.

The most difficult to get is Sidereals. Try explaining that you are part jedi, part kung-fu master, part James Bond and part civil servant.

She is sometimes depicted as dark-haired as well. Hair-colour is not as important as Aspect, though. Empress and Mnemon are Earth, but Cainan and Ejava are Fire and Wood respectively - and they are also farther removed. And Roseblack may be barely related at all.
There is also Ledaal Kes, who is not a redhead, but probably not as serious a candidate as well.

Muskox
White tiger
Snow leopard
Yo mama (IC one)
Wendigo

Maybe find something here inuitmyths.com/

>Keep them coming if you have more. I love the sidereal sutras.

Effervescent Black Mantle of Regret Style:

Student's Sutra of Regret:

Once, there was a maiden...
...with a heart full of sorrow.
She took up a pen
And splashed herself on the page. It did not help.
She took up a sword
And shattered herself across the battlefield. It did not help.
She drank and drank
And wed herself to a bottle. It did not help.
She walked in aimless circles,
And tried to leave herself behind. It did not help.

Elder Sutra of Regret:

Her patience ran thin and she tore out her heart,
Leaving a nagging sore.
"You cannot escape what is not chasing you," - she said.

Solars do have a theme but I guess it takes a while to notice it. They are kings of the world that hates them. You have divine right to rule everything but powers that be rarely want you to actually do it. You were banished for unspeakable crimes and now you return. How will the history unfold this time?

Above is all about doing the "right" thing and being heroic so some people mistake Solars for paladins. But in Exalted being right and glorious doesn't mean you are "good".

Solars aren't heroic, they're the protagonists, the main characters. And like any other protagonists, they can be anti-heroes or douchebags.

Good does not mean nice, after all.

Why are people who aren't hot redheads allowed to hold positions of authority in the real world?

"Heroic" as in "mighty and driven", not necessarily good. That's what I meant.

They're "heroic" in the same sense that Hercules, Odysseus, Abraham, or Gilgamesh.

Did some awesome stuff, but they weren't above reproach and at times would have modern readers going "WTF?"

Because back then, a "hero" wasn't just a brave person and definitely wasn't a selfless person. A "hero" was a person who layed down the law and the smack down and shaped the world the way THEY wanted it.

They did great things, terrible, but great, in the words of Harry Potter.

I'm reading Empathic Aegis Discipline, and hang on a second:
>If the Solar has a Major or Defining Tie for a character who shares one of her Defining Principles, when the subject feels physical or emotional agony the Solar senses it and understands the context of their suffering.
So, if I understand correctly, to properly activate this Charm, I have to have a Major or Defining Tie to a given character, AND we have to share a Defining Principle?

In other words, if my Solar has a child, they cannot use this Charm to detect when their beloved little one is in danger, UNLESS said child (who could be an infant) also happens to agree with mommy that "Showing mercy to an enemy is a fool's errand" or "I will die to protect the ones I love"?

It's no big deal to make a higher repurchase to remove that part.

Never forget that custom charms are a thing for Solars.

>In other words, if my Solar has a child, they cannot use this Charm to detect when their beloved little one is in danger, UNLESS said child (who could be an infant) also happens to agree with mommy that "Showing mercy to an enemy is a fool's errand" or "I will die to protect the ones I love"?

Are you suggesting your Solar isn't singing lullabies to their child about the glory of slaughtering their enemies and hearing the lamentations of their women?

It shouldn't be a requirement to begin with. Why do I have to not only deeply care about this person, but ALSO, we have to agree on politics?

Because why do Solars give a flying wet fuck about people that aren't useful to their ideals? Solars are creatures of principles.

If you want to care about someone just because you wuv them and have your magic reflect that, Lunars are over.

>Lunars are over there.

You know, I always thought of Solar parents ENCOURAGING their kids teenage rebellion.

>Oh, your armed uprising against me failed and you got captured?
>Well, do better next time!
>lets kid out of prison