RE:Monster Ex Quest 134

You are certain that, should this situation have arisen somewhere else, somewhere very far away, a girl named Sarah would have been booed at, admonished for metagaming.

And she would have argued back that old men in robes, unarmed but unafraid, who were essentially proposing some sort of vague omniscience aren't people that an experienceed adventurer would allow their guard down around.

Old men with ritual implements and ancient stone altars don't just pop out of nowhere.

Or maybe they do in dungeons?

The precise metaohysical nature of alternate dimenion ecosystems isn't your area of study.
You're a student of the nature of pointy objects, and this is field work- 'A treatise on how monsters react when stabbed with a spear, By L. Niallasdottir. Foreword By a moth.'

In any case, you've taken your distance from the old man, legs splayed just far enough to give you the acceleration you'd need to dodge something, spear held low and ready, armour forming up across your limbs as your companions hop free from your shell.

The old man gestures simply with his sickle, the altar grinding back into the stone platform so he can step forward over it.

He smiles, and the rustling of the fields all around you grow louder.

>You can... probably talk this out. Right?
>This is cheating, isn't it? Druids can't use metal items.
>You probably shouldn't let him cast anything.
>Other(?)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/u/REQM
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Re-Monster
youtube.com/watch?v=SmsRN78qMxM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Announcements: twitter.com/REQMX

Q&A: ask.fm/REQM

Character Sheet and Misc:
pastebin.com/u/REQM

Archive:
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Re-Monster

woo, I missed this quest a bunch!
>other
Step one: Ask if we've got to fight him, or if he's one of those riddle challenges.
Step two: Throw a boulder at him.

Fuck yeah, spiderquest!

The first for safety, the second for laughs.

>Other(?)

Well, he can communicate somewhat with gesture. Oh, and he can control the stone.

Let's show him up by raising several stone chairs and a table for everyone. With an extra chair for him.

>>This is cheating, isn't it? Druids can't use metal items.

> Not when you're around anyways.
> Melt the spear.

I would never let a moth write the foreword on any treatise of mine, but I guess we're just two different people/monsters.

>This is cheating, isn't it? Druids can't use metal items
>You probably shouldn't let him cast anything

Though as a druid wielding metal he'd probably just end up using a bevy of fire spells as well. Just to take the number of things druids usually frown up a notch

he sounded cool

Going to support this on the basis that if he is preparing to fight us this will likely throw a wrench in it.

Also fuck yes spider quest.

>>You probably shouldn't let him cast anything.

Cheats and magic, or a lack thereof?

I'll take 1d100, please!

>>This is cheating, isn't it? Druids can't use metal items.

Rolled 19 (1d100)

Rolled 67 (1d100)

I'm hoping we're not in the fight phase yet.

Depends how he's depicted. Sworn guardian, protecting the path in a god-touched dungeon? Probably already dead? It he really wants to fight, we're not talking him out of it. I wouldnt mind a diplomancing, though.

Rolled 19 (1d100)

Rolled 25 (1d100)

I just feel it's common good manners to ask a guy if we're supposed to fight him before we throw boulders at him.

Rolled 23 (1d100)

67 and writing!

Anyway, fight or not, I'm super stoked for going back to the surface and dicking with people.
Did we ever climb all over that dam under the bridge like was on our mental checklist?

oh, and we have to get nin and that bee to interact.
Either it will turn out awful, or they'll be self cancelling.

He's a druid. Probably. Definitely.
Stones and plants and he'll probably turn into a bear or something-

No, wait. That'd be awful. You can't eat a bear-person. Who would even do that? Make a bear you couldn't eat.

Cheating. This is definitely cheating, right?
This-

Druids can't use metal weapons. It's a rule. They lose their magic. Only wood and-

"Pfff- Kahahahah-"
"Huh?"
"What manner of nonsense are you spouting, little one?"

You frown.
"I am very large, yes."
"You are very young. And you have all sorts of strange ideas about magic, apparently. Why would metal of all things stop it, no matter from whence it came?"

"Isn't it... Something about spirits, I think? That the trees and spirits of the woods wouldn't let their representative wield their enemy?"
Was that how it went?

He laughs again.
"Absurd, absurd. A tree with an opinion? And nevermind the metal- Before there was steel, there was iron, and before iron, stone. Insects and animals eat the trees, storms and wind uproot them, the earth dries and they die- If I was to be limited to only things a plant would approve of, would I not attack you with a gentle spring shower and a few hours of sunlight?"

"Could you do that instead of whatever you were planning?"
"Dungeons don't quite work in that manner, I'm afraid."
"I tried, yes."

The rustling grows louder, and the blade in his hand glows, the crescent of the weapon gleaming with green light before he sweeps it towards you, the wind whistling into a blade that flies to crash into your spear, the metal creaking gently as you use it to block the blow.

That was definitely magic.
But there was no mana build-up, no spell forming, nothing.

A divine caster?

You knew he was cheating.

>Surround him, keep the fight up close!
>There's no spirits here, but that doesn't mean you can't hit him with his own altar!
>Maybe he can't cast without the sickle? It was the first thing he picked up.
>Other (?)

>There's no spirits here, but that doesn't mean you can't hit him with his own altar!

>>There's no spirits here, but that doesn't mean you can't hit him with his own altar!

>>There's no spirits here, but that doesn't mean you can't hit him with his own altar!

Also, stop listening into our inner monologue! It's rude! No I don't care if I say it out loud!

How could I not vote for a line of thought this compelling.

>.. earth magic to box him in? No spirits, but some magic, right?

I'm hesitant to crowd around a magic user we don't really understand. And if he's cheating, the sickle won't make a difference.

wait, how does a spear block a windblade, shouldn't it go around or something?
Magic is confusing.

Light saber style likely

Man, lightsabers are also confusing.
I'm glad we're going with the "hit him with a large rock" plan. Large rocks aren't confusing.

Looking like Lyra don't need no spirits!

Gimme 2d100, please!

>how does a spear block a windblade
Same way anything blocks wind? The force needs to be concentrated into a certain spot and if the spear is in that spot it gets transferred to the spear and lost to the windblade.

Rolled 48, 15 = 63 (2d100)

oraa!

Rolled 24, 20 = 44 (2d100)

Rolled 94, 16 = 110 (2d100)

Not completly true, the earth spirits are our bros.

I'm going with the lightsaber theory of the other guy.
Because like... a windblade is long. and a spear blocks it only for one point along the blade. So the rest should go past?
Much safer to just think of it as a lightsaber.

Down that path lies madness, with questions like why Lyra doesnt perforate whatever she's walking on and where Sheszka's clothes go when she transforms.

Rolled 11, 1 = 12 (2d100)

wait, where DO shezka's clothes go when she transforms?
Shezkaaaa
Tell meeee

>So the rest should go past?
Ever heard of windbreaking? You know, when people set up buildings in such a way it breaks the wind during a storm, its like that.
The rest of the wind definitly went past, but it didn't have any strength anymore to actually harm someone.

94 and ... 20.

Writing!

I really hope the first number was Lyra and the second was the other guy..

Wut? We never roll for our opponents. First was altar smashing and second was disarming.

maybe it, like, becomes her fur coloration?
Or we're just offscreen making a lot of clothes?

Thank you for being slow

I really hope it wasn't for Shez trying to doubleteam the guy.
Girl got real shitluck with the dicegods.

why does shez always get hurt?
We need to do something about that.

I can't see a reason why only Shez would roll then, so she should be safe.

solution: pic related

She's a giant spider. Also pic related.

Making her some actual protective armor would be a good start.

>Making her some actual protective armor would be a good start.
Kinda impossible due to the shapeshifting.
But with her wolf-trait of picking up abilities from her alpha, she might get a version of our chitin armor, that'd be cool.

Why can easily afford some magic armor for her.

>Armored bus-sized wolf running down at you at highway speeds, freezing everything in her path.
Yeah, it's a good image.

I'm more curious why she didn't use her shield. Did something happen to her shield and I forgot?

>Why can easily afford some magic armor for her.
Thats just a dumb statement, we have literally no idea how much such magic armor would cost or if its even available for purchase at all.

we basically use that thing exclusively as a water spigot.
Which is why I wanted the kite shield config, for MAXIMIZED POURING POTENTIAL, but whatever.

Our shield is for drinking and literally nothing else.

>Which is why I wanted the kite shield config
Which would have gotten in the way of our spear use and grappling. Nah, the buckler is fine.

youtube.com/watch?v=SmsRN78qMxM

but the POURING NOZZLE, user!

No, someone pointing it out when someone says something completly retarded has little to do with autism.

You said something stupid because you didn't think shit through, your damage control of "hur autism dur" just makes you even more pathetic.

One of us needs to get a Blessing by the God of Water one of these days. With all our bathing, someone HAS to.

I hope its Nin. Healing water is the best.

Enlarging it somehow with earth magic and using it to surf down inclines. Mixing dirt with it and throwing mud at our enemies. Using it to threaten passing fire elementals. The possibilities are endless!

Just dont ask us to block anything with it.

I prefer the healing power of the sun. Water should be reserved for supposedly drowning your political enemies.

But to each their own

Lyra was probably just relying on her spear to block the hit at a greater reach than she could manage with the shield.

I don't like the it's magic explanation.
Mostly because if we go in an antimagic field, shit gets SUPER FUCKED.

For a wizard maybe.

well, for us too, if all our bodily systems and abilities rely on magic to work.

More likely they're extrordinary abilities, rather than supernatural ones.

You're already down one power to cheating dungeon druids, so you skip back as he approaches, and try another.

There's a moment of hesitance, a split second where the dungeon itself resists-

And that's what it is, you realize. The air around you, the stone and the wheat and the water and monsters. It's all from the same origin, that thing called a dungeon. The realization strikes you as odd, even as your will crushes that resistance, and your magic exerts itself over the stone at your feet-

-and the altar reappears, in a far more violent manner than it left in, the stones around it shattering to make way for the jutting stone.
There's a sensation beneath your feet, like you've taken ownership of this small piece of the dimension.

But all around that is the encroaching feeling of something else, pushing and pulling and striking, forcing its way back, the feeling fading even as the old man strikes the stone, the whole thing liquefying and passing him by like a broken wave.

He glances at your feet before laughing, and you're suddenly sure, absolutely positive, that he knows.

"I must admit," He chuckles as he circles you, pacing slowly, his eyes never leaving yours.
"We haven't had a guest with quite so many blessings in a very, very long time. You've quite the audience, dear."

"I usually carry my audience, yes."
"I'm not speaking of your little followers."
"I understand. I am trying to distract you."

You thrust loosely with your spear, aiming wide, then sweeping it towards him, trying to hook the wide guard of your weapon through his to wrench it loose.

He steps away, moving further than his stride should allow, adeptly slipping past your blow before dusting himself off.

"Well. I plan on starting soon."
"I thought that's what the wind was, yes."
"Just a greeting."
"You are worse than my mother."

>Take the fight to him!
>Call in a tactical bird strike.
>Stone again! Don't lose that feeling!
>Other(?)

>>Take the fight to him!

I'm torn. That feeling got a lot of emphasis.
Moth too? At least airborn?

>Take the fight to him!

One more attempt at crushing him with rocks, then we change strategies.
Probably won't work.

Also, is there a way to forego this dungeon's blessing? I'm not sure we even want it.

>>Take the fight to him!
>>Call in a tactical bird strike.
Fuck this dungeon.

>Also, is there a way to forego this dungeon's blessing? I'm not sure we even want it.
Not all dungeons give blessings, I don't think we were told this one does.

I'm wondering if we're gonig a little outside the dungeon rules. Claiming a little bit of it. Is it something anyone can do are are we cheating in a new way?

> Try disenchanting his weapon, then melting it.

I think that's the point. Maybe we will get a new blessing out of it. Future Dungeon Lord or something.

>>Take the fight to him!
>>Call in a tactical bird strike.

>>Stone again! Don't lose that feeling!
>>Other(?)

This time unravel the spell he uses to make the stone liquefy. I assume it was a spell. The writing wasn't clear. If he can punch hard enough to liquefy stone we've got problems...

I don't think we ever aren't cheating

>Is it something anyone can do are are we cheating in a new way?
Our abilities aren't unique or unprecedented, so its likely something anyone can do, provided they have the right abilities (blessings). Wether or not someone already did it, we can't really know of course.

Pfft cheating there's no cheating in a fight just creative ways of winning

Stones and birds, a combination outside the realm of nature!

Gimme 3d100 please!

Rolled 84, 80, 38 = 202 (3d100)

It's called a roc