EDH/Commander General

Worrying mechanics edition.

Last thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

How much do you think Monarch will change the format?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sydri-ver-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/renaissance-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/conspiring-to-the-greatest-aurora-ft-zada/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Post your decks.

Honestly? Not at all unless there's some insane monarch cards that go into every deck and worth the risk of backfiring. It might make some white a little stronger since it is supported well by things like white likes to do (swarm, pillowforting, removal both mass and targeted), but I've yet to see a strong enough monarch card besides maybe Queen Marchesa which as a commander neither requires or even probably wants to play other monarch cards

Been dicking around with Mayael and I just cant get over how slow she is. Maybe I'm building wrong, but holy hell is it ever battlecruiser/Timmytown

Reposting my silly/evil combo so folks will see it.
Basically you turn their commander into an equipment, use Magnetic Theft to equip it to a creature token, then phase the token out. The equipment will phase out indirectly along with the token, then the token will cease to exist as a state-based action. The equipment can only phase back in along with whatever it originally left attached to, so it'll remain phased out indefinitely. The player can't simply move the commander to the command zone, as phasing is explicitly not a zone change. There are no effects in the game that can recover a permanent phased out this way, irrevocably locking their commander out of the game.

>playing grixis combo/control
>cast phyrexian negator
>equip it with darksteel plate and assault suit
>give control of it to narset player

The classics will always triumph

You have got to think of it as essentially letting you cast your big creatures for cheap, so focus on utility effects as opposed to just generic fatties. Cards like Blazing Archon, Molten Primordial, Tyrant of Discord, Spearbreaker Behemoth, Terastodon and Woodfall Primus are good examples of cards that yes, are fatties, but fill roles that normally would be assigned to spells or smaller creatures.

How useful is Muzzio for Sharuum/Sydri decks, really? He seems kinda slow.

Doesn't work. Tokens can phase just fine

>Tokens can phase just fine
And then they cease to exist once they phase out. And all the shit that was equipped to said token goes bye-bye too.

>Worrying mechanics
why? it's just shit.

Who is the best Rakdos commander?

Nope

post thicc teysa

Need some help cutting down to 100 cards. Expedition Map? Basic Lands?

I would recommend a Liquimetal Coating to blow up those troublesome lands that your opponents control

It's a janky voltron deck. It's super slow, for my friend's meta.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/renaissance-2/

Sydri can do that herself with Mycosynth Lattice already, no?

Do you really need Disciple of the Vault and Bitter Ordeal for the combo? If you are struggling with what to cut I would just take out one of them.

Oh I missed the Lattice, whoops

Darien, King of Kjeldor builder back, found some things I'm sitting on. Any more suggestions welcome

It doesn't work, but you're picking the wrong nit.

>702.25f. When a permanent phases out, any Auras, Equipment, or Fortifications attached to that permanent phase out at the same time. This alternate way of phasing out is known as phasing out "indirectly." An Aura, Equipment, or Fortification that phased out indirectly won't phase in by itself, but instead phases in along with the permanent it's attached to.
>An Aura, Equipment, or Fortification that phased out indirectly won't phase in by itself, but instead phases in along with the permanent it's attached to.

>An Aura, Equipment, or Fortification
>won't phase in by itself,
The Commander can phase back in by itself after phasing out indirectly provided it isn't a Aura, Equipment, or Fortification when phasing in tries to happen.

>702.25e. Continuous effects that affect a phased-out permanent may expire while that permanent is phased out. If so, they will no longer affect that permanent once it's phased in. In particular, effects with "for as long as" durations that track that permanent (see rule 611.2b) end when that permanent phases out because they can no longer see it.
And it can stop being Equipment while phased out as long as the continuous effect stops applying to it.

Bludgeoning Brawl will stop applying if it is removed, if the Commander starts being a creature, or if the Commander stops being an artifact.
Which it will before phasing in occurs. Liquimetal Coating stops applying at the end of turn.

Let's see a list so far

>702.23j Phased-out tokens cease to exist as a state-based action. See rule 704.5d.
At least you tried

???

I'm not disagreeing with that.
But the combo doesn't work.

>shit
>free card draw every turn
Please close your browser and dont open it ever again, you need to get to the nearest mental hospital and check yourself in

Daretti
Artifact decks just got access to targeted removal and more graveyard recursion

Sure. On mobile so will be awhile

New Daretti, Spaghetti ofc
Not old Daretti, Never Forgetti

If the permanent the Aura, Equipment or Fortification just stops existing once it phases out, all that other shit is gone too

It doesn't suddenly change back to being a creature when it's treated like it doesn't exist and is gone from the game forever

But New Daretti is just a planeswalker

Old Daretti is just monored

It was an equipment at the time it phased out, then it's phased out indirectly, and can't return on it's own. It doesn't matter that the effect that would make it the equipment expires, because it's already indirectly phased at that point. 702.25e is only relevant if it would phase back in, which it is incapable of doing.

And so he is, well fuck rakdos then back to derevi stax

Legendaries/planeswalkers/creatures
Darien, King of Kjeldor
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Crovax, Ascendant Hero
Hixus, Prison Warden
Odric, Master Tactician
Thalia, Heretic Cathar
Kytheon, Hero of Akros
Dragon throne of Tarkir
Godsend
Spear of Heliod
Hall of Triumph
Sword of the Animist
Nykthos, Shrine of Nyx
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Angelic Field Marshal
Bastion Protector
Seraph of the Masses
Crusader of Odric
Burnished Hart
Gold Myr
Goldnight Redeemer
Requiem Angel
Lightkeeper of Emeria
Evangel of Heliod
Geist-Honored Monk
Sanctifier of Souls
Akroan Horse
Crusading Knight(2 black players in local meta, plus flavor as fuck)
Mirror Entity
Knight of the White Orchid
Aegis of the Gods
Felidar Sovereign
Wall of Essence
Lone Rider
Wall of Reverence
Nyx-Fleece Ram
Serra Avatar

>>free card draw every turn
unless your opponent attacks you, which certainly wil happen.

>when it's treated like it doesn't exist and is gone from the game forever
???

Not how attaching works. It still exists, it's just has it's status changed to phased out.
The tokens counters (if any) will cease to exist with it (instead of being removed), but nothing else will.

>then it's phased out indirectly, and can't return on it's own.
702.25f prevents indirectly phased out Auras, indirectly phased out Equipment, and indirectly phased out Fortifications from phasing in normally.
It *does not* blanket prevent all indirectly phased out permanents from phasing in normally.
702.25e allows the Commander to (among other things) stop being Equipment while it's phased out.

Marchesa Prison/Stax
Nice try attacking
And if you do ill get free untapped creatures every turn while you are only untapping one land till i get the crown back :^)

No if it ceases to exist you can tear it up and throw it in the bin, it never returns from phasing and can never be played again, not even put back in your binder, its fucking gone bro read the rules it NEVER phases back in

>when it's treated like it doesn't exist and is gone from the game forever
???

Not how attaching works. It still exists, it just has it's status changed to phased out.
The token's counters (if any) will cease to exist with it (instead of being removed), but nothing else will.

>then it's phased out indirectly, and can't return on it's own.
702.25f prevents indirectly phased out Auras, indirectly phased out Equipment, and indirectly phased out Fortifications from phasing in normally.
It explicitly *does not* blanket prevent all indirectly phased out permanents from phasing in normally.
702.25e allows the Commander to (among other things) stop being Equipment while it's phased out.

It can never phase back in.

702.24k Phased-out tokens cease to exist as a state-based action.

702.24f When a permanent phases out, any Auras, Equipment, or Fortifications attached to that permanent phase out at the same time. This alternate way of phasing out is known as phasing out "indirectly." An Aura, Equipment, or Fortification that phased out indirectly won't phase in by itself, but instead phases in along with the permanent it's attached to.

702.24b If a permanent phases out, its status changes to "phased out." Except for rules and effects that specifically mention phased-out permanents, a phased-out permanent is treated as though it does not exist. It can't affect or be affected by anything else in the game.

This is due to being phased out "indirectly".

Are you actually retarded? You've refuted your own argument multiple times

hmm, just some other possible includes:
Secure the Wastes
Cathars' Crusade
White Sun Zenith
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite (expensive, but I love the card)
Wrath of God/Day of Judgment/Rout
Path to Exile/Swords to Plowshares
Riot Control
Heliod God of the Sun
Archon of Justice
Sun Titan

Fair enough.

Court Street Denizen
Catapult Master
Conclave Phalanx
Artifacts
Caged Sun
Well of Lost Dreams
Staff of the Sun Magus
Pristine Talasman
Pearl Medallion
Sun Droplet
Thought Vessel
Mask of Avacyn
Swiftfoot Boots
Lightning Greaves
Sol Ring
Stoneforge Masterwork
Elixir of Immortaity
Prism Ring
Deploy to the Front
Launch the Fleet
Martial Coup
Decree of Justice
Mobilization
Raise the Alarm
Celestial Convergence
Cradle of Vitality
Armored Ascension
Vow of Duty
True Conviction
Noble Purpose
Marahal's Anthem
Path of Bravery
Honor of the Pure
Congregate
Indestructability
Shielded by Faith
Ghostly Possession
Spirit Mantle
Mass Calcify
Descend upon the Sinful
Suppression Bonds
Oblivion Ring
Bound by Moonsilver
Banishing Light
Soul Tithe
Darksteel Mutation

This is just a rough list, gathering cards still

Get that Hixus outta there, he's just bad. Get that Nyx-Fleece Ram outta there, it does nothing for you. You need a Mentor of the Meek for some card draw, which mono-white desperately needs and it goes well with the 1/1s

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/conspiring-to-the-greatest-aurora-ft-zada/

You guys were right, Wort looks hilarious.

Yes, need to get one of those.

Either you can't read, or I've been caught.
To resolve or dispel the notion of the former,
>702.25f.
let's dissect this.

>When a permanent phases out, any Auras, Equipment, or Fortifications attached to that permanent phase out at the same time.
Certain things attached Auras, Equipment, or Fortications can be phased out by the phasing out of other permanents that they are attached to.
>This alternate way of phasing out is known as phasing out "indirectly."
"Indirectly" phasing out is shorthand for being phased out by rule 702.25f
>An Aura, Equipment, or Fortification that phased out indirectly won't phase in by itself, but instead phases in along with the permanent it's attached to.
If a permanent is phased out, is either an Aura, an Equipment, or a Fortification, and was phased out by rule 702.25f, it will not phase in by itself.

... they key point here is that the only part of 702.25f that prevents things from phasing in alone only applies to Auras, Equipment, and Fortifications.

>Except for rules and effects that specifically mention phased-out permanents, a phased-out permanent is treated as though it does not exist.
Lo and behold! Rule 702.25e specifically mentions phased-out permanents, and is therefor an exception to rule 702.24b

Kind of want to focus on Darien generating the tokens, but secure the wastes is probably an include. Would adding Emeria Shepherd, Twilight Shephard, Adarkar Valkyrie, And/or Death or Glory be good additions?

No picture because fuck you

>Ezuri, Claw of Progress
Typical dork setup but no infect because I don't play to be degenerate

>Gitrog Monster
Princess and the Frog setup, use life from the loam and splendid reclamation with landfall triggers.

>Isperia the Inscrutable
Probably my weakest deck, flying creatures everywhere and keep opponents from having flyers.

>Mimeoplasm
Heavy reanimator and self mill, only run because of the colors

>>Retired

>Nekusar the Mindrazer
>Nekusar the Mindrazer

>Kemba Kha Regent
Group is too competitive to play

If i cast serra ascendant and my opponent casts mental misstep which is the better card?

Also can you mental misstep a mental misstep? Is its casting cost 0 or 1

its cmc is always 1, even if you cast it for phyrexian mana.

Doesn't matter you're a faggot either way. Yes you can counter mental misstep with mental misstep, alternate cost doesn't change the cmc

Which continuous effect is expiring while the card is phased out, exactly? And how does that somehow cause the card to phase back in?

Where is gA when you need him

re serra ascendant

Where do you guys even see Daretti2 fitting? Rakdos doesn't seem like the most artifact-heavy decks.

Nigga I will beat your ass with a ball peen hammer

Leave that shit in the old thread

Goes straight into my Mishra deck.

Lord of Riots can use him fine. Most artifacts are colorless, but I see him being pushed to the side

I like him a lot. Grenzo Arcbound was a pretty fun deck.

>If i cast serra ascendant and my opponent casts mental misstep which is the better card?
next best meme

So the rules you're citing clearly work to show that it stays phased out. What you fail to recognize is that the phasing out of a card doesn't change or revert properties. While the commander is an equipment, it still counts as being phased out indirectly, and stays phased out until the nonexistent token phases in, which it wont.

Liquimetal Coating's effect on the Commander expires at the end of turn, so the Commander stops being an Artifact.
Bludgeon Brawl's effect on the Commander expires when the the Commander stops being an Artifact, so the Commander stops being an Equipment.

Probably asleep. He answered the phasing thing in his ask a judge thread saying it works and our resident fuckwit doesn't believe him

Effects like that can't really expire on a phased out object. I believe.

Not asleep. Answered it again.

The continuous effect created by Liquimetal Coating does indeed end, but that doesn't matter. Rule 702.25e tells us that if a continuous effect that affected a phased-out permanent expired while the permanent was phased out (as in this scenario), then they will no longer affect the permanent ONCE IT'S PHASED IN. The continuous effect does end, but because we treat phased out things like they literally do not exist, that doesn't matter until it phases back in. Which it never will, because it phased out indirectly, and the thing it phased out WITH stopped existing, so it can never phase back IN indirectly.

Isnt the commander a forest tho? Or does that expire too?

>our resident fuckwit
That's not me. I'm only lurking that thread.

>ONCE IT'S PHASED IN
Well shit. Missed that part.

If i phase out a serra ascendant is it still a 6/6 flying lifelink for 1 mana?

He's shitposting. Ignore him.

>thinking attacking and dealing with 1-2 cards is difficult
explain to me the exact trouble you're having attacking another opponent?

Nah, that effect doesn't have a stated duration like Liquimetal Coating's does.

Basically, here's how to treat Phasing. Turn an empty Big Gulp cup upside down, and write "CUP O PHASING" on it. When something phases out, put the cup over it, but otherwise don't mess with it. It didn't technically go anywhere, the continuous effects that were messing with it still technically exist, but we're all just ignoring it. When it goes to phase back in, you take the cup off, and start paying attention to it again. If a continuous effect messing with it ended while it was in the Cup o Phasing, it doesn't know that yet because it was underneath a giant styrofoam cup. Once you remove the cup, it DOES know that though!

Yes, see rules 608.2g and 702.25e. The power and toughness won't modify themselves until it phases back in, regardless of what your life total does in the meantime.

Technically yes, assuming it was 'online' at the time it phased out. That doesn't really MATTER in any situation I can think of off-hand, but yes, it is technically still a 6/6 with flying and lifelink while the game is treating it like it doesn't exist.

>ill get free untapped creatures every turn while you are only untapping one land till i get the crown back
if the opponent is getting +1 card, chances are that he will deal with whatever bullshit you prepared.

At 101. Thinking of dropping Lightning Greaves, since they're only there to protect Sydri really.

gA please do not answer any Serra Ascendant or Mental Misstep questions, someone is forcing a hot new meme down our throats

608.2g isn't really relevant here, since CR608 deals with resolving spells and abilities, and Serra Ascendant has a static ability rather than a triggered or activated one, so the rules for how to resolve an ability don't really apply here.

What a terrible thread

Oops, my bad.

Daretti vs Kurkesh as mono-red artifact deck. Pros and Cons? Just include Kurkesh in Daretti's 99?

Serra Ascendant is a new meme? Is it 2010 again already?

Nah, no worries. You were wrong, and you learned from it. How the hell do you think I got to know anything? By being hilariously, violently wrong over and over again. The important thing is to learn from mistakes and avoid them in the future, if possible. Also, tacos. Tacos are important.

Anyway, I've done my work here. Taking the tripcode off and going to bed. If you guys think up anything else while I'm asleep, just chuck it into the AAJ thread and say it's for the EDH General. I'll answer them when I get back in whatever EDHG is still running.

Looks like you had a mental misstep :^)

While you guys spam the thread with rules text blocks the reprint boogaloo proceeds.

>Darien
Patrician taste friend

commander is still a forest. not that it matters
song of the dryads is indirectly phased out by the commander, which is itself indirectly phased out (by the token)
song of the dryads is not effecting the commander while they're both phased out
the commander doesn't notice (because it's phased out) and stays a land
the commander never phases in

if the commander were allowed to phase in (say, it was equipped to a non-token):
song of the dryads phases in simultaneously with and attached to the commander
the phased in commande's continuous effects check if they apply
song of the dryads is still attached, it still applies

Depends on what these cards would be providing to your overall deck. Not sure what meta you play in, but if you're looking to protect your squad/commander, maybe try something lower cmc-wise like a selfless spirit. Death or Glory is a fun one, just for how political it is based on whom you pick to divide your grave

Why do they always post 5-10 nice rares/mythics on the first few days that make me want to buy a box, then the shit floodgates open and im really not ready to pay $6.50 a pack to get a turd like this

It's Conspiracy after all, you're not supposed to buy a box and not draft it. Limited and shit. I do think Dragonlair is a p good token maker for RGx and I wanted one for Animar

I prefer daretti as thec commander cause he gives you card advantage.

Why does Veeky Forums always make four card combos that don't win the game?

Except he doesn't.

Any spicy tech for GW Enchantress?