Cursed Mask Ideas

a player of mine recently raided a vault of magical items and stole three things, one of which was a cursed mask that was calling his name.

I tempted the player with this mask, fully expecting him to be smarter than that, however he called my bluff and took the mask. the session ended and he asked what the mask did and i told him his character would find out.

i didnt expect this, just started brainstorming but i thought i should come here since I'm no good at cursed objects

Seriously, how is it not obvious?

If the mask is removed, the character dies.
Periodically, the mask starts to itch

It makes everything he says sound like a lie and 'melds' with his face and makes it appear like he is making rude facial expressions.

>nobody cared who i was until i put on the mask

Give him bonuses to detect evil, enough so that the mask feels like it's an active benefit, however - make sure that it can't be removed, not until some side-BBEG is slain.

THe mask also gives most demons/undead/ghosts near him an instant hard-on and they know where he is, so it's a cutoff for it.

For roleplaying, make him see some horrific shit when he closes his eyes or something similiar

While wearing his vision will be 10 times better. Eyes like an eagle. When taking it off his natural vision will be worse. Duration and extent of bad eyesight depends on how long he was wearing the mask.

how could i have been so blind!

>If you keep making that face it will get stuck like that
>Putting it on gives him detect evil, detect enchantment, etc but occasionally gives false positives/negatives
>Dark sight, increased vision range, mask hurts to wear (Like hot metal without damaging, just the pain)
>Put it on, "Congrats this is the face version of tongue-eating louse! It acts as your face since you no longer have a face, don't piss it off or you'll start losing senses"

It's a mask of lies. When wearing it the mask fades away into an illusion of the wearers face that does not give away any secrets.

It looks like it grants a bonus to lying and social rolls, but in reality the illusionary face contorts into silly and childish faces during intimidation attempts. Winks constantly at people during diplomacy, and makes it obvious that the wearer is lying if they lie while wearing it.

(the mask is semi sentient, and has a bonus to it's OWN rolls to convince it's wearer, that no really, it makes you really convincing and deceptive.)

You know what to do OP

You could at least post quality fetish art.

Requesting the fetish art with the man turning into a wolf due to a wolf pelt

Sorry I only have people turning into cute girls of various kinds.

Look up an insanity table

Each day he makes a check, and on failure he gets a new one.

Every morning one of his stats gets drained a dice amount.

Those are the best, quad-fetish user.

Oh

._.

>mask shows the wearer cryptic hints and signs, like the SPC signs or hobo signs
>these signs can be very helpful and allow the wearer almost prescience in certain situations
>it can do things like make the user aware of danger, tell them who can be trusted and sometimes down to the exact actions to take to succeed in combat
>however the mask (potentially demonic) has it's own motives, and after it has gained the wearer's trust will begin trying to sway them towards what the mask wants, prompting them to not trust their friends and start fights that end bloodily.
>mask also discourages telling others about the mask's powers etc
Go wild with what the mask wants, could have a specific goal or just general chaos. Bonus points for actually drawing the symbols and handing them to the player.
I was planning on having this be a ring or some such that the player would never tell their party about so it could really start to fuck things over.

Damn straight they are.

Sorry user.

Do you have anything that isn't shygirls? I kinda prefer when the mask melds with the wearer and becomes their face rather than stay a mask.

>anything that isn't shygirls?
blasphemy

Why not a mask that causes the wearer to become a vampire?

The comic version is ven better in that regard.

First thing that pops to mind is Gray Fox's mask from TES oblivion.

>The character slowly loses the ability to see in color. First they see in shades of gey, and finally just black and white.
>The change in vision also effects their judgement. Over time their thinking becomes more, and more rigid.
>Next stop lawful stupid land!

This is a really cool mask concept

What does the mask look like...?

>a cursed mask that was calling his name
It seems like given this the only thematically sound choice is:
>the mask knows secrets, and reveals them to him
>it whispers in his ears (via the ear coverings of the mask, obviously), and shows him things through the eyes
>the things it says are forbidden knowledge
>the eyepieces probably just show the hidden truth like True Seeing, Detect Magic etc.
>this is devised to make him trust the stuff it says
>which also does grant power
>BUT obviously it's also diabolical and anti-human, and will eventually turn him solidly evil, probably into a BBEG with dark magical powers
>also you can't take the mask off once you put it on, obviously

Go home, Slaanesh.

Removes all sense of pain. Removes all mental limitations, like the limits on muscle strength imposed by the brain, so as to prevent you from crushing your own bones. Grants +2 STR, +2 DEX and +2 CON, or equivalents, but tell your player that it gives you +4 or 5 to all of those. Also, they don't fall unconscious upon reaching 0 HP, but they do bleed out. They will continuously over-estimate themselves and push themselves past the point of breaking, all the while not knowing why.

Oh, very important, let them take it off if they want to. Never treat it as a cursed item. Even though they keep failing checks they "should" be passing and taking more damage than they "should" be taking, "+4 or or 5" to STR, DEX and CON is too much to pass off.

>>Putting it on gives him detect evil, detect enchantment, etc but occasionally gives false positives/negatives

Hmmm, I propose an addition to this, give him true seeing, but on occation, say each day has a 3% chance, he sees either something from his past as or a sight from his future as if it were a real thing hidden by invisibility.

Once every rest/after every fight/... the wearer has to make a Constitution/Wisdom save or gain an Exhaustion level/Disadvantage on an ability check.

On top of that, removing the mask takes a Constitution check because the mask is attaching itself to the wearer's face. Failed Constitution check means damage.

Plus, throw in various non-mechanical stuff. Making him paranoid about other characters, seducing him into doing things he wouldn't otherwise do, give him relevant clues (some true, some not) about the world. Perhaps the character dreams about the mask calling out for help, the character wakes up and finds the mask in a party member's belongings to add to the paranoia.

To make him keep wearing the mask, throw in one or two of the usual magic abilities. If he's a caster, give him Advantage on Concentration checks. If he's a warrior, give him one of the Battle Master abilities (re-skinned to make it thematically appropriate to the character), perhaps a simple +2 ability...

Ha! Shades of gayyy!

That is to say he sees things more vibrant and colorful, blindingly so

Oh god, that's literally the premise of a strip of some dumb Christian comic I read when I was, like, 10.

heaveno, fellow Christian sir

What about the were-used diaper?

Cursed Mask, you say? Put that shit on immediately.

Genuinely mortifying if my gm gave me a mask like that

For when one evil mask isn't enough... why not three?

Bonus points if the vault's owner really, REALLY wants the mask back.

Ocasionally makes the wearer see horrific demons in place of ordinary people.

When he wears the mask everything seems normal at first. A very high Perception check reveals that there's some object off in the distance that he can't make out.

It goes without saying that he's now forced to wear the mask, either by psychic compulsion or because it's physically fused to his body.

As the days go by he notices strange little oddities; irregularities in shadows, the feeling of being watched, etc. Strange figures appear, distant and indistinct at first, but gradually drawing closer. The closer they get the more clear they become, and the more hideous and horrifying they appear. The other PCs don't see or notice any of this, of course.

They draw nearer and nearer, reaching out for him. And then one day they're all gone. And he feels hungry.

It turns him into an undead monster but in return buffs his charisma and strength

*Coughs*

>mask curses you to fight evil and become a role model to the people of the world

reject your humanity

idgi

what is the name if this meme/technique - I see it all the time.

Mask messes with smell and taste an urge for food. All foul, rotten food turns to be GOOD. Although, his belly isn't ready for this, causing constant diahrea, poisoning and etc.

Tri-fusion.

It's a gas mask. It emits poisonous gas.

>wearing a mask while eating

Halfmask or mask with big mouth so you could stick your dick in it , so why not?

Holy shit, is that CandleJack? I haven't seen him outside of /b/ si

Said the name

>"Heaven-o, neighbors!"
Because that wouldn't get old incredibly fast. At first, I thought the guy was aiming to just get it changed to something like
>"Lo, what brings you to this neck of the woods?"
Or something like that that also sounds old as shit

I have no idea what that phrase means, but I'll hazard it's "I Don't Get It".

Same reference went for. Jojo's Bizarre adventure. There's an ancient south american mask that turns you into a Vampire.

Make it into literal face of ancient deity
Make the player play as deity now

The mask allows the wearer to see into the near past of wherever he's looking. Like a looking glass into the past, up to say like a week in the past. The catch is that it's not perfect and there's a risk of the person being dragged into the past by the mask.

Mask allows the player to see creatures from different planes, and allows the player to see things as they truly are, this making him immune to illusions. However he can be detected with almost any detect spell or spell like ability while using the mask.

Bonus points if something is hunting him/the mask down.

When he puts the mask on it simply disappears. There's no way to remove it because it looks like there's nothing there. Maybe send him out of the room, tell the other players that he set it down, and then have him come back in so that when he describes anything to do with the mask everybody just says, "what mask?"

He appears completely normal though sometimes when he looks into a mirror he sees himself blinking.

Later on, he begins sleepwalking.

This makes most sense.

Oh yeah, I remember that. If you say the name "Candle Jack" you ge

a mask that lets you enter a slip between your world and the next, a purgatory, in this place you cannot interact with beings of the normal world.

Be careful, this mask has a tendency to draw you in and keep you there. The longer you remain the more likely it will try to trap you.

There's even something In there with you, a creature that feeds on those who are trapped until they are lost forever, some say the mask is the creatures tool to be fed.

None that are mask related.
The stuff that has the mask become their face is usually more like bimbo or latexification, which I dislike.

OP back form being a wagecuck, I'm loving all of these ideas.

seems to be going in a great direction, i really like it

Thank you

Superglue on the inside.

Fuck off, Dio.