/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByXalmSD
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJtVb9Uw
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1-L3BTod
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkpZBnJ_
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Going to be running a group of 4 new players and a somewhat-used-to-the-system player through LMoP. At the end when they find the map and it states to develop the adventure from there, what should I do? I'm not the most knowledgeable of the Realms and I don't want them going off to someplace like Thay or Ten-Towns and then I'd have to do a fuck-ton of research to make sure it's decently played up...

Anybody have a link to all the Veeky Forums character sheets for 5E?

Either buy another adventures or make stuff up.
There are enough "empty space" in FG setting to let you put in your own town, dungeon and stuff.

Does your players know anything about the Realms? No? Then I don't see the problem

That's an issue because 1 player is a huge FR novel fan, the others know jack and shit.

Wait! I know! I'm going to use the map to act as a secret teleport scroll to remove the players from the Realms! Ohohoho! This is perfect...

>DM seems to be depressed more and more every session
>Nobody else in the group seems to see it

How would you handle your DM seeming to be at the edge of it all and nobody else seeing it?

If you want to Dexbarian, Is there any reason to take more than one level of barb?

Segway into CoS, perhaps? You'd need to beef up the adventure since they're starting at 5 instead of 3.

Nah, I'm thinking of making it a custom adventure where they will need to acquire the knowledge and equipment to shift back into the Realms since even their regular plane shift spells will not work.

Hookers and blow. Nothing pulls you out of the doldrums like no strings pussy. Then get someone else to DM for a few sessions and start alternating after that. Maybe call the guy to hang out to do something besides D&D.

What consistent methods exist for someone to improve their initiative?
>Alert Feat (+5)
>Barbarian 7 Feral Instinct (Advantage)
>Bard Jack of All Trades (+ Half Proficiency)
>Swashbuckler 3 Rakish Audacity (+ Cha Mod)

So... You throw them into Dark Sun? If memory serves, it's super hard to Plane Shift off there, if only because a spell that powerful would probably drain half a mile of life from the area.

So are there any programs like the 4E Insider character creator for 5E?

I'm gonna move my friends over to it and they all love that for creating characters and it's a million times easier than going through the books and paper route with each of them.

Nothing official as far as I know. There might be some third part stuff, but what is out there is pretty crappy. Your best best is probably just an editable and saveable PDF, which might be in the Mega.

not really. There is a wonky generator on EnWorld. Its called Forged Anvil. There was a phone app but it got removed because it violated copyright,

No, mostly because I know nothing. Probably will make a setting to throw them at the old modules (I'm thinking Against the Slavelords and then GDQ...)

Are there any notable ways to break the game as a Wizard other than anything involving Wish? I don't mean any huge damage crap but actual game breaking tricks.

What parts of a character sheet do you type out /5eg/?

Spell list, maybe literal copy+pasting class features for stuff like Battlemaster Fighter.

Otherwise I give a brief description to refresh myself, and a foot-note on the page the thing I'm referring to is located in the PHB, or DMG if it's a magic item.

Everything that isn't going to ever change under any reasonably foreseeable circumstances.

what's the best way to get more spells for my wizard aside from levelling up?

trade with other wizards? roll to search rooms for scrolls? just looking for suggestions

Necromancy. Assuming you can get past the social ramifications. You might have to google the exact steps, but there was a way to get enough simultaneous minions to use mob rules in combat, and at that point they'd curb stomp anything at your current challenge level.

I'm a newfag, can you spell out what most of those would be?

On the scale of cheese and absolute cancer, how bad is my L4 Bear Barbarian's build?

STR 19
CON 17
DEX 11 (so AC 13 without armor)
52 HP
Glaive +2 as a weapon
Polearm Master
Great Weapon Master

My first character in DnD, did I do good?

Fighting other Wizards, sleeping the Rogue a couple of gold to steal it and/or asking nicely if they want to trade spells.

Do you have a cleric in your party to give you +2 to AC? Or do you at least have a heavily armored companion to keep you from getting ripped apart?

Name, Race, Class Abilities, Skills, Biography, Languages. It's easy to add new things to the Sheet but I doubt you will ever LOSE any of those.

Yeah I sit behind a Dwarf Fighter with 21 AC in doorways and use my glaive over him.

*Slipping

Wear Armor and kiss you DM's dick for the +2 Glaive.

Trade with other wizards
Copy every scroll you find
Ask your GM about magic academies or mentors to apprentice under
Independent research (if your GM allows it)
Studying/Deconstructing magic items
Mind-reading abilities (if your GM allows it) on other casters.

Hmm Never thought about mind reading. You would most likely need them tied up or something for the whole duration of copying it.

>Dwarf Fighter with 21 AC
I hope he just plants himself there with his shield held out, because that's how I imagine this.

Nah m8, theyre gone. Forever. No ones saved them. Nor out them in other links

Which is a better Dex based combatant? Barb 1/Fighter X, or Barb 1/Rogue X?

My DM raised the ability score max from 20 to 30 and let us roll a d20 for our stats, so currently my Monk has 23 Dex and 16 Wis. Next time I get an ability score, should I raise my Dex or my Wis?

The novels are usually shite portrayals of what the Realms are like in the suppliments and RPG products anyway; they're always about a band of armed fuckwits or near-demigods farting around doing shit that sometimes is about saving the world but largely revolves around their personal friends and enemies even if gets to that scale, so generally nothing of real importance happens in most books.
A great example; in over fifteen novels written over a decade and change despite Drizzt being the setting's most famous novel protagonist, precisely three things have ever happened in them that actually legitimately mattered in the setting as a whole and was noticed by the rest of the world,
The rest of the "important" things happening only really matter to Drizzt and Friends.

The big things that happen in the Realms tend to be described in a few (usually bad) novels, but actually are editorially mandated changes and thus if the player is a novel reader the important details of basically everything will sort of escape him.

I guess I should mention that it's a fairly hard campaign; my characters died twice.

1d12 HD/lvl, Danger Sense, no level penalty to ASI and Extra Attack, Fast Movement, Feral Instinct, Brutal Critical, Relentless Rage, and Primal Champion. Plus your choice of the 4 primal paths depending on what exactly you're building (solo DPS, tank, scout, team DPS.)

The question is: does that fabulous prize pack equal up to 19 levels of something else? I can't tell you, that you'll have to decide for yourself. But it doesn't exactly suck, either.

CoS has a +2 shield and a +2 plate

A paladin with sunsword and those two is a insane powerhouse

26 AC and 2d8+7 vs undead with. Chuck on icon of ravenloft with permanent protection from fiends and undead and you have an invincible character

Anyone else love playing DnD but hate the general playerbase it attracts?

There's always 1 or 2 "that guy"s any time i play. Like people who play uncooperative characters and the justify it by saying "thats jst what my character would do hee hee :^)"

Like, i dont mind if you want to play an evil or chaotic character, but there's a difference between tasteful evil/clever chaos and being a jerkass

Yeah I get you.

My best friend is playing a character that's not very good for the party, but he RPs it as the party are the only people capable of helping him so he's willing to put aside differences except when it comes to murdering mages, he loves it.

whats the highest possible AC you can get for a fighter?I plan on making the boss a donald trump rip-off who calls himself "THE WALL" and tanks hits all day, he has to be tough enough to survive 1v3

This is usually fixed by playing among friends, especially of the long-term sort.
If you keep playing with random assholes then in all likelihood they will in fact be random assholes; the vast majority of the human race is something you get can along with peaceably relatively easily (coworkers and such) but not necessarily someone you would actually call friend at any point.

If you have a +3 full plate and +3 shield that's 26 right there. I guess you could throw in a ring/cloak of protection and get even higher.

I don't know exactly but an Eldritch Knight/Bladesinger most likely.

18(21) Armor (Magic Armor)
+2(+5) Shield (Magic Armor)
+ 5 from Bladesinging
+1 Defence FIghting Style
+5 as a Reaction with Shield

That's 37 but you could most likely get higher if you tried.

OH wait that doesn't work because of the heavy armor and Bladesinging

if a person is selfish but not malicious, what alignment would you describe them as?

ex: doesnt really care about the quests/adventures, is just trying to better himself + achieve his own goals. won't backstab other party members but won't go out of his way to help them either. kind of a less-than-heroic go along guy until he's powerful enough to make it on his own, where he'll break away from the party and go live his own life.

is this a true neutral? i first thought he'd be neutral good, but then i figured if he's not out to be a hero or help people unless it helps himself in the process he's not really 'good'

Assuming only Fighter 20, probably an EK Fighter.

18 (Plate Armor) being +3 (so 21)
+2 from off-hand Shield (23), +3 Magic Item enchantment (26)
Cloak of Protection (+1, attunement, 27)
Ring of Protection (+1, attunement, 28)
+1 from Defensive Fighting Style (29)
Defender (+3 weapon from DMG, attunement, lets you apply the +3 bonus to AC instead of attack and damage rolls, 32)
and a situational +5 from using Shield spell as a reaction (37)

not necessarily a pure fighter, you can take anything to maximize toughness

bladesinger? i wish i had the SCAG

magical armour sounds good, but it should destruct so the party cant take absorb armor mans ability

thanks that'll help
maybe i can stack all 3 of them at once, but give them only daggers, and they will just wait out the battle

everything is in the trove.

Ng. Doing good acts because youre payed doesnt make them not good. Youre not resprting to theft or murder to get your goals, even if you likely could/wouldnt care.

>equip enemy with magical items
>Waah I am a baby so it will self destruct

Just give it natural armour. FYI no player has fun missing every round from the DMs super cool boss with 30AC

That and a few magical items allow advantage on initiative rolls, a weapon of warning is the one I can think of.

he was suppsosed to parody donald trump, and be named the wall
im trying to see if my party is smart enough to use the environment, or trying to talk to him

Give him normal armor but resistance to everything except Radiant.

Why? Are you trying to be funny? Are you one of those wits who believe they are the first to make a Trump joke, and who expect a laugh every time?

Yes, we get it, you are a bluepill, change the fucking record.

I've always thought of evil at its core is selfishness, so he could be evil. True neutral would be you could be convinced to help any side, or at least see every sides pros and cons.

He seems like neutral evil in my opinion.

its also a reference to this guy
that would double his effective health, that could work

I would give him High Armor with one or two pieces of magic gear, fairly good health, some ability to help his Saving throws and resistance to everything but one damage type. Assuming you want them to feel like they are sitting there trying to hit a very agile piece of rock. Make his damage shit though.

damage is not necessary, he might be supported by his own party, or minions, for real damage

Is Eldritch Knight any good?
What about Arcane Trickster?

define good

Not totally helpless when I'm thrown into combat or social situation.

I would go with archers and give him some sick Opportunity Attack. Of course it could be a death trap.

Arcane Trickster is imo the best Rogue by far.

eldritch knight can be pretty powerful, although the competition is strong, battlemaster has some impressive damage
eldritch knights make great wrestlers by casting spells at people they've grappled

Rate my Gray Ooze remake

Because a pile of goo is just so boring

I type out the name, race, class and personality traits. Everything else I fill out by hand, cause it changes

3/10 would make a playable race

How would the Wall fight the Sign?

Dumping some homebrews I've been working on the past few weeks. Already had some good input here, would love to hear some more before I tidy these up, make some graphical changes, and throw them on the DMsGuild.

Barbarian Paths
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByXalmSD

> Primalist - Spellcasting variant
> Warboss - Ork inspired
> Dervish - Tazmanian Devil

Bard Colleges
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJtVb9Uw

> College of Faith - Divine healing / support
> College of the Phoenix - Martial Support / buffs

Monk Ways
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1-L3BTod

> Way of the Beast - Animal styles for better martial options
> Way of the Wukong - Mage Slayer variant
> Way of the Kensai - Sword Wielding sandal wearing weeb samurai

Ranger Archetypes
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkpZBnJ_

> Dreadstalker - Inspired by Spirit of the Night MTG cards
> Maverick - Trick shooting ranged option
> Sky Sentinel - Niche fluff centered ranger of the skies

Rogue Archetypes
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD

> Revolutionary - Stop the gubment!
> Ruffian - Thug, hooligan, bruiser
> Time Bandit - Prince of Persia

Fucking Silver Age...

So, am I the only one who hates backgrounds as a mechanic?

What's the problem?

silver age is ripe for adventure ideas! the sky is the limit

My party has a meatwall Bearbarian with 80 hp at level 6. He is absurdly difficult to kill, and to top it off another PC is a life domain cleric which means doubly effective heals out the ass. I am having trouble designing any encounter that would challenge the barbarian without straight up one shotting any other party member.

I've tried using banishment/charms but then the barbarian just gets to sit there and do nothing and that's no fun. Any advice?

strike him with wis save spells, or pit him against blinding attacks

dont overcome force with force

what's your goal? what are the party members' goals in the campaign? what kind of campaign is it? are you trying to kill the barbarian?

need more info senpai

there's a minor magic item property called guardian that gives +2

My goal is to have construct encounters in which everyone can participate meaningfully. It's a pretty standard campaign, and I don't have a desire to kill the barbarian in particular

are D&D comics any good ? are there other related comics that are good.. I think Berserk fits in here well...

Case in point.

Fell's Five is amazing.

who else is in your party? what are their goals (ie is everybody just playing thru together, what's happened so far)?

DMs have a lot more tools than just HP damage. That barbarian likely has crap saves outside Strength and Constitution at that level. His HP doesn't mean dick if Hold Person lands. Also Dominate Person would likely scare the crap out of the whole party.

If you're insistent on avoiding charms and banish, use wall spells to throw lots of obstacles around the barbarian. The barbarian gets to play around the obstacles and the rest of the party has to deal with the encounter, help the barbarian, or hold off until he gets free.

Also stop laying so many attacks into the barbarian if he's so hard to kill. Use ranged/flying stuff to go at the back line characters.

Alternatively, stop coddling your characters. Throw stuff that can kill the barbarian and make the others use their abilities intelligently to avoid damage. If there's a wizard, he might learn that hypnotic pattern saves his ass and wins the encounter better than fireball does.

Stop worrying about killing the tank, it's a team game. Challenge the *party*. If everyone else falls he's as good as dead anyway.

Half-Elf Ranger, Halfling Bearbarian, Dwarven Life Cleric, halfling rogue, and a tiefling sorcerer. Everyone is level 6, the group seems to have settled on "make money" as their primary motivation.
I've mainly run into this problem since everyone hit level 5 and got more attacks/level 3 spells. Now it's like if he just absorbs 2-3 rounds of focus, the party can dish out enough damage against just about anything to kill it.

I think the biggest problem I'm having is that the party chose to follow the plot hook that involves fighting giants, orcs, and hobgoblins- creatures that lack spells/battlefield control.

To be expected of Dwarven work.

Hobgoblins are pretty smart, aren't they? Why not have them draw the players into more favourable terrain, or use cover for better AC or something? Have a smarter giant unleash a bunch of rolling boulders down hill during a fight to make reaching the enemy more difficult/dangerous.

Have an orc caster I found.

Found pic related in one of the previous threads, and couldn't stop thinking of a character concept for her. Would you allow this at your table?

Worshipper of birds and/or the Phoenix. Human, but mechanically taking the stats / features of aarakocra. Either Fiend Warlock or Draconic Sorcerer, but every feature / ability would be refluffed to worshipping some Bird God or the Phoenix again.

Basically, the only thing that seems questionable to me is the swapping of features for races (bonuses, flying, languages, the whole gamut).

Do you think my four level 6 players could go up against a fighter 1/ Warlock 9

A warlock with a patron Wind Duke sounds neat. Maybe hold off the flight til a 5th level invocation?

I rolled a dungeon via the dungeon creation tools in the DMG. Ended up with

> Located in a Glacier
> Built by Giants
> Worshippers of Air Element
> Purpose Stronghold
> History abandoned by its creators

So my idea to tie it into the current campaign is that the creator was a powerful wizard who sculpted this stronghold out of a cemetery of dead storm giants. Was doing evil experiments, because he's evil which will involve a number of failed simulacrum (and maybe one escaped successful one), Flameskulls, and other mad science wizard stuff.

My question is, what are some good traps or already triggered traps that fit the theme, and how could I populate this for a 3rd level party (barbarian, paladin, warlock, + I might give them a decent CR hireling).

Probably. Especially if you have a caster with counterspells. Unless it has legendary actions, it tends to be pretty easy to kill a single creature.

Find an appropriate CR monster (aka CR6) and take away / give it the abilities and spells you want it to have.

Alright I'll give him some legendary actions

Adding on to this, the entrance is underwater which will require some swimming / freezing water endurance to get to.

Buy or download the 4E NeverWinter Campaign Book. Ignore the 4E stuff, its mostly irrelevant in terms of the book and steal all the amazing amount of setting detail complete with interconnected factions , all the areas laid down in detail, multiple dungeon complexes, multiple BBEG's and a huge sandbox to play around in inside and outside the city.

Thats exactly what I'm doing and we have our first session tonight. Pic is my own network of nodes ( using node based design and the 3 clue rule) to lead the players around the plot.