Pet peeves

>Introduced several groups to RPG's
>"Look user, I bought my own dice!"
>Players start showing up with their own fancy dice bags, even though all dice are provided
>Players start showing up with necklaces, daggers and other collectibles to "enhance the play"
>Players ask if they should come dressed in fantasy gear
>"Maybe I'll just do my hair and wear this mask and bracelet"
>None of them have even asked to take a look into the rule book
>None of them have looked into the list of items and monsters for inspiration
>None of them have wondered about the various splats and expansions I've talked about

What the hell? Why are they so fixed on the material side of the hobby? Isn't that the least relevant and most boring part of the game? What about the rules, the imaginary possibilities, the immersion?
What the hell?!

If your story is actually true you're playing with a bunch of unawakened LARPers.

Only one way to find out.

OP, hold an orgy and invite them.

Also make sure they never discover Vampire.

>GM brings his laptop to play immersive music from during the campaign
>That Guy is asking to borrow the laptop every 5 goddamn minutes to play unfunny youtube videos nobody in the group gives a shit about.
>Start telling him he can't see the GM's laptop anymore because campaign notes are on it
>Brings his own despite us all agreeing not to bring electronics
>GM doesn't have the balls to make that guy that stop or kick him from the group
>Literally gets so bad the rest of us start getting up and closing his laptop every he starts playing a video
>That Guy bitches and threatens to leave the game because we're "too serious". GM doesn't want to run the game without That Guy there because they're IRL roomates or some shit, despite agreeing that he's a problem. Entire game falls apart when GM basically refuses to be in the middle of this and no game happens.

>People like different things about X than I do
>''Pet Peeves''

Congrats, OP. You have legit autism.

This is why playing with people you know is just about the WORST idea possible. Roleplaying can be worse than Diplomacy when it comes to destroying relationships, and if you have any obligations to a relationship with another player you done fucked up.

>I dislike something
>I realise this is my personal opinion and present it as such
>autism

Have you tried curing yours before accusing others of autism?

I'm skeptical if they have the skills and social attitude to go into larp though.
They were big fans of collectibles and cosplay even before I introduced them though.
You know lootcrate? They have lootcrate.

To be honest, I just googled the word 'pet peeve' because I heard it somewhere and I was unsure what it meant, but I wanted to give this thread a title. Not a native english-speaker.
Also, it seems like you're not really aware what 'legit autism' is.

Try running a modern game and see how they react to it. If they dress up like their characters, they're larpers and you are playing with larpers, if they don't then you will know.

To be fair, I didn't know the GM or That Guy until I started playing with them. I was introduced through another of the players in the group who knew them both though.

>the WORST idea possible
But the other option is playing with total fuckwits you've met at some game shop. That also seems like a bad idea.

You mean a modern game as in a modern setting, or a more freeform, not-classic game?

At least you can leave the total fuckwits and continue searching for non fuckwits. Unless the tabletop scene in your area is completely dead, in which case that sucks.

Modern setting. Like nWoD mortals (NOT Vampire or Werewolf, because they will buy gothic shit), Unknown Armies, Delta Green, Over The Edge, etc.

True. But I'm pretty lucky with my friends.
I've only had the opposite happen actually: couples I play with breaking up and therefore crashing the campaign.
I know Veeky Forums is against couples at the table and now I have a reason to believe it.

I'll write it down, but they won't be tired of their current game for a long time.

The sad part is, everyone in the group were good roleplayers, even That Guy. Just for the love of FUCK he could not stay focused on the game for more than 5 minutes. It's like he desperately wanted to socialize or bask in the attention of having people around... but couldn't understand that we wern't there to talk about his stupid "LE FUNNY INTERNET" shit. Couldn;t understand that game time was game time, not "bullshit around and hang out" time.

maybe you just need better friends
>been playing with a group of my friends and my brother for the last 8+ months, over ~4 campaigns
>started with a short gurps campaign of my own, then we drifted through a couple of very short games while trying out different systems until settling on a swd20 campaign from one of the more experienced dms of the group and a mekton zeta campaign from one of the newer ones, while i run occasional shadowrun games on the side
>no that guys
>have even had one of the player's girlfriends drop into a shadowrun session with no real issues
>the only problems we have are mechanical, with shit like mekton zeta's dumb balancing
>last swd20 session one player outright killed another during an arena fight and they didn't flip out or anything
>and i know they weren't sore over it because the fuck who got destroyed was my brother
maybe i've just stumbled across a miracle group, or maybe Veeky Forums likes to exaggerate and make shit up

>maybe i've just stumbled across a miracle group, or maybe Veeky Forums likes to exaggerate and make shit up
I don't think it's either of those.
Good groups with good, mentally sane people are not rare, I found quite a few of them among my friends.
But you know who are more likely to be crap players in my experience? Nerds. Real nerds, not just people who are a little nerdy. There is a noticeable difference.

And similar kinds of people will flock together. That's why Veeky Forums encounters way more nerd groups among their friends, in game stores or online. At least that's my guess.

I had a GM who would do this, definitely a peeve. He'd invite everyone over for DnD, then we all got there he'd spend like an hour "preparing" then come up with some excuse about being too tired or not feeling it and just wanting us to hang out and play videogames the rest of the night.

It's like "No, I get 2 nights off every week, I didn't come here to waste one of those night doing stuff I could do at home by myself."

About every 3 weeks he'd relent and actually run a session, but it was pretty annoying. I ended moving away after a year though and have since found a much better group, thank Gygax.

I agree with this notion.
>Always played with a group of friends with perhaps one or two extras

I have never, ever had a serious problem in any of these groups. The aboslute worst that has happened is when someone feels their character is shit, so they have to change some things around with the DM.

Or when somebody accidentally kills an NPC the group liked, or another player character, and they'd suffer from our teasing and murder accusations for a couple of sessions.

>Players whose character consists of a stat block and a funny voice
>Players who don't even attempt to roleplay beyond the occasional monosyllabic word
>Players who make the same FUCKING character every time, regardless of the system
>FOUR FUCKING CHARACTERS, ALL THE SAME
>Unavoidable ant damage

OP get your shit sorted out. Do you just hate fun? Its fantastic that players are bringing this level of passion to the field.

The GMs job is to ensure that everyone has fun, not impose his idea of it on others.

Use the things they are most interested in as inspiration and to guide your game design. Work with them, not against them.

And make sure you have a discussion about what the expectations are upfront - it sounds like you've already had an issue

>Unavoidable ant damage
.. explain?

The ant damage would have been avoidable if you didn't piss off the queen, dumbass

One of the dungeons was in an earthy cave underground, filled with ants. Every round in combat and randomly when out of combat the DM would roll a d4 and we'd take that much damage from the ants. No saves, no protective gear, just ants.
We even managed to raise a drawbridge over lava to try and cut them off. It worked, but not before flinging a load of ants on top of us.

This is why you use the heaviest rule system you got, it separates people.

Yeah, well good luck trying to find players for Phoenix Command.

>players are excited to insert things they enjoy into the game
>this is a bad thing

This is an amazing thing.

Good sir, my shit is sorted out.
I've had multiple discussions about what they expect and what they should expect from me. I've loosened up rules where they didn't seem to agree with the groups play-style and introduced new rules and quirky progression systems where it felt necessary or fun. I've build a campaign entirely around their characters, not just some campaign where they got dropped in.
They are having fun, I've actively made sure they could have fun based on their own choices and I am in no way imposing my sense of fun on them.

I haven't brought the issue up, because it's not really an issue. It's not a hindrance to the game and it's not like they are lacking something.

My shit has been sorted out and I will continue to do so.
I am just really wondering why on earth they are more exited about gizmo's rather than game-options. They are bringing passion to the field, but in a way that seems just weird. It baffles me, and I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences in order to have a discussion.

tl;dr: you're wrongly assuming shit.

And about working with what they bring to the table: that necklace has become part of the campaign and there are some stylish new maps waiting on my desk for the next campaign.

Because they care more about the roleplay than the rules of the game.

They care more about expressing themselves than the system.

>forum game
>very high-power setting with magic, illusions and monster people n'shit
>one of the more powerful players has sort of wings mutation that allowed him to fly
>one of admins suddenly goes "But birds are only allowed to fly because they have empty wings etc., you should be only allowed to glide :^)"
And I emphasise, the guy had otherwise human-sized body and was probably able to casually punch holes in iron. And the admin in question was otherwise really chill guy.
Whenever people try to apply logic/science when it -clearly- shouldn't even be a concern, i get far more mad than i should

Yes but why would they feel the urge to do that with limiting IRL-items instead of exploring the unending possibilities of in-game items? Because to me, that's where in the roleplay is situated most: in the mind, not in the object you have on your table, right?
And then why do they need the fancy dice to roleplay?

>Bitching about people bringing their own dice.
Fuck off you sperg, I don't want to use your unlucky tard dice

IRL is more unending possibilities than in-game

There are more things in heaven and earth and such.

The gear thing is kind of odd, but also awesome IMO. They show enthusiasm, they are immersed in the game world, that means you, the GM, is doing a good job! If they have fun roll with it, if you are not having fun then have a talk about why.

In regards to rules some players just care more for the storytelling than anything else. Played with a guy for several years, great player, good guy, he never learned the rules we were playing - it was fucking Savage Worlds, easiest RPG this side of Risus. But we had fun so that didn't matter.

My friends were sane and good, but just didn't have the patience or willingness to accept the time commitment.

>online game with separate OOC chat
>immediately after every die roll, OOC chat fills with AW YEAH or FUCK NO from every player except me, before we even know whether the roll succeeded or not
>to the point where the GM had to tell them to stop
At least wait for the result to be described!

Nigga I roll Querps, DM ain't got no Querps