MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Hot Garbage Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grenzos-open-door-policy/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-08-16-jund-lands/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rock-me-to-the-top/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/angry-xenagos-roar-noise/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OH YEAH

What are some commanders that are just anti fun except for one person? Gonna try the turbo fog one tomorrow.

so what are fun strategies for this guy?
I'm thinking of just putting him in a goodstuff shell but there has to be something more interesting

Any of them stax fellers. Like the great man of cloth, or harlot who ain't God fearin enough to stay off them boats. Evry respectable people know that be a bad omen.
That nigger runaway also does them tricks too.

I mean his ability is pretty obvious, you use it to kill tapped creatures or blocking creatures so add some tap creature effects

Both teferis
Hokori
old Kozilek assuming you can get him t4 or sooner
Mizzix or the storm dude

Jesus Christ, I've never had so much fun in EDH in my life since I retired Ghave!

Built my Azusa deck a few days ago and it is a beast!!!!

Any cool cards you guys can suggest?

He seems pretty unique and I love the Rakdos color combo, any tips/spicy combos?

I think he works best with a high count of low cmc creatures so you don't have to spend that much mana to cast him

Most grenzo decks build around a sweet spot of a certain power. For example if you build around power 4, you can include all sorts of creatures with that power, whereas if you build around power 5,the creatures will be bigger but grenzo will be more expensive. scry engines are useful, as are effects that put stuff from your raveyard to the bottom of your library. also heartstone and Ashnod's Altar

mizzix can be built to be fun at least. there's enough big dumb blue spells to make things interesting at the table.

Literally just play him on 2
>duplicant
>canal dredger and all the other cards that dunk graveyard cards
>all the good goblins, kiki jiki, goblin matron, ect
>doomsday combo
Grenzo + Doomsday with 2 mana up is literally an instant kill, you order your library
1: Zealous Conscripts
2: Kiki Jiki
3: Goblin King or any other goblin that improves power
4: Priest of Urabrask
5: Priest of Gix
from the top down. Pay 2 then ride the chain up to infinite creatues. Even able to kill through a propaganda or crawlspace type effect since you can target it with your first zealous conscripts. Different doomsday piles can be made with more mana to deal with other lock pieces (IE tuktuk scrapper to destroy an ensnaring bridge)
Play lots of efficient mana rocks to accelerate the rate at which you grenzo
If you find yourself losing just jam in more tutors and mana rocks, if optimized a deck like this could win turn 4 fairly frequently.

But then you exiled your whole library and they can blow you out with a removal

Cool combo though, doomsday is rad

Built mine today as well. Horn of Green, Burgeoning, and I've found that Helix Pinnacle is totally viable.

Horn of Greed, Life From the Loam, Oracle of Mul Daya. If you have the cards or the cash to get extra spicy, fetch lands and Crucible of Worlds can get real stupid real fast. I guess from there it depends on how you want to win, I personally just filled the rest of my Azusa deck with gigantic monsters, more ramp, card drawing, and a few mana dumps like Kamahl, Fist of Krosa and Helix Pinnacle.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/grenzos-open-door-policy/

gib suggestions pls

Getting my friend one of these babies for his birthday. Were all going to suffer.

I want on of these so bad, but I can't get an english copy below 88 eurobucks only italian ones.

He likes foreign cards, luckily.

This seems pretty cool. If you get one late, say fourth or fifth pick, all the future Gargabe Fires you see then become premium removal while remianing jank for everyone else at the table. People could theoretically try to hate you out by picking all the Garbage Fires that they see, but then they're also picking jank and passing good cards to you.

Dubs don't lie, thats some good shit user

>But then you exiled your whole library and they can blow you out with a removal
Only if the removal is Sudden Shock. Otherwise you can just get infinite creatures and steal all their permanents at instant speed in response to their removal.

Come to think of it, what are the best commanders for Doomsday deck?

Zur for most competitive.

Maybe Grenzo for most fun.

Magnificent

My friend plays Jeleva, and it's a pretty good deck

Yeah, Grixis storm is up there with Zur, better colour for it, but Necropopo in the command zone is so busted.

>Birds of Paradise reprint
>rumors of a fucking Show and Tell reprint

Oh goodness, this set is the real EMA

FUCKING YES IM BUYING A BOX NOW

>EDH
Zur, Jeleva, probably the new guy Leovold.
Mono-B sidisi. three color Sidisi is ok.

>rumors of a fucking Show and Tell reprint
what

holy shit

Confirmed now.

I can't wait for Muzzio to make Fiora great again.

Vorniclex, Plated Stagwurm isn't bad. Worldspire Wurm is pretty good. Tooth and nail, Nissa's Revelation, anything with landfall. The Great Aurora might be okay. Ulvenwald Hydra and Rude Awakening might also be good too.

WHERE

I've_been_waiting_for_this.png

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN EMA WAS RERELEASED

Possible Show and Tell reprint

I don't think it looks legit but that's just me, that holofoil stamp looks too small

It's like we're all forgetting about Berserk reprint too.

If you have tons of land ramp, you can skimp out on the lands themselves, right?

I currently got like 36 lands and 7-ish mana ramp cards. That should be enough for a deck that revolves around playing typically 1 big card per turn? (xenagos deck)

oh, forgot to clarify that i have 7 cards that put lands on the table or in my hand, and around 3 artifacts that give mana

Why ffs can't people use cameras right? I could print a proxy on my printer and it would look legit on a photo like this...

>121/221

Would make sense, right after Serum Visions.

>I'll tap Kiki Jiki to copy Zealous Conscripts
>With that on the stack, Swords to Plowshares

Was getting caught part of your plan?

I run 36 lands and 10 prices of acceleration in every deck personally. Anything with green in it and I throw in a bunch things that ramp basics onto the battlefield. Most other decks I use a combination of rocks and dorks, prioritizing things that are cost effective and generate multiple mana. But, that being said, I build on a good curve, so I can get away with it. If you have a lot of high mana cards that you can't get out game after game, try putting in more lands or swapping some of the jankier things around.

>Got burned out on EDH a while back because both of my decks were just goodstuff decks with consistent game plans and high win rates
>Sold them and finished a couple Modern decks
Now I sort of want to make a deck again, but it'd just devolve into the same pile of generic goodstuff that I had before. I could build a theme deck, but once someone wipes your board, you just lose because you're stuck in topdeck mode.

Is there a solution to this? I'm looking at the new Grenzo at the moment just because if I spam weenies and rocks I can play everyone else's decks for variety. But then I run into the problem of being easily left in topdeck mode.

You could try building a 75 deck. The idea is that you take whatever deck it is, and build it to 75% optimal status, then play it at 100%. By intentionally falling a bit short of 'optimal' during construction, it lets you go all-out during games without just steamrolling.

Stop building goodstuff

Embrace the jank

That doesn't sound enjoyable. My brain tries to solve things constantly, so playing a deck I know isn't optimized would just bug me. I think the problem is likely the rules of the format itself. Multiplayer invokes game theory, making offensive play detrimental, leading to defensive play and combo win conditions. If life totals were lower and the ban list was a lot bigger I think the format would be a lot more enjoyable.

Wew

who /hopingsheldonbansfoodchain/ here?

You want Tiny Leaders.

According to the one game he played with a poorly built Prossh list, Food Chain is fine because you don't have to abuse it.

How about you suck my fat chode.

Okay, if you're gonna pull that pseudo-intellectual "I am too smart for this format" bullshit, go fuck yourself. I'm not gonna waste time trying to help your smug ass.

Build a combo deck that excludes infinite cycles of something, and optimize it for a game ending combo that is fun to assemble. Usually you don't need goodstuff or modern staples or w/e for that.

You said you'd prefer lower life and a larger ban list. That's Tiny Leaders.

I don't think EDH is the format for you

But his SUPERIOR BRAIN tries to solve things, and game theory! He's too smart to NOT have his decks devolve into no-synergy goodstuff!

Just tried to brew up a Jund deck with a focus on LANDS. Xira Arien is at the helm for the colours, and to try and build advantage/lower hate

Any thoughts? I'm trying for win conditions based around lands and HUEG mana, like big x spells, valakut, landfall tokens, obliterate -> natural rec, with plenty of tutors and wipes to smooth it out.

It still feels like the deck tries to do a few too many different things, and if there were things I should drop/add. Any suggestions/thoughts?

You said you want a more aggressive game without the 'game theory' that multiplayer has which causes offensive play to be detrimental, a lower life total, and a longer ban list.

You literally described Tiny Leaders, which is an abomination of a format that's been solved for months.

You think there might be some correlation, what with the literal definition of your 'perfect format' being a steaming pile of shit?

Whoops

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-08-16-jund-lands/

Teferi's puzzle box

Nobody but vendors want tiny leaders

New Selvala

Seems good for Mayael, but idk what else.

Clone with FLASH

Could be fun

yeah i counted and it turns out i have like 13 acceleration cards. i decided to cut a few of the shittier ones out.

any xenagos players here? i'm thinking it's best to keep ramp cards that cycle, like yavimaya elder and commander's sphere, and cut stuff like cultivate out. i also like having land-fetch creatures because of the added synergy with pump, skullclamp and various sac things, as well as having some bodies on the table to block early on.

if there are any skilled xenagos players here, i could paste my deck here if you guys wanna look at it. i'm still pretty new to the format and this deck is new

Ruric Thar likes her quite a bit.

Also, new Clone with Flash.

That is now two 'strictly better' Clone variants at 3U. Three if you count Phyrexian Metamorph; I don't count that as 'strictly' because while you can play it for only 3 mana, as well as copy artifacts, tacking "ARTIFACT" on as a type makes your clone easier to kill

It's just more green goodstuff as far as I'm aware, it's not particularly interesting.

I love the name.

What's the pile in monoblack?

Don't you run out of mana after the goblin king

Omnath? G,T: Double the mana in your mana pool.

Yesss!
now I'm buying a box

I am sick of this pseudo-realistic card art. You can tell they've just traced some arches in the background and copy pasted some dude into it.

They're doing BFZ art again

Pay 2 to get Priest of Gix, which gives you BBB. Use 2 of that to get Priest of Urabrask, you have B floating, Priest gives you RRR. Use 2 of that for Goblin king, still have 2 floating. Use 2 of that to get Kiki Jiki, use it to copy either of your Priests. Use the mana they gave you to get Zealous Conscripts, untapping Kiki. Tap Kiki to make a Conscript, repeat, repeat, repeat, kill.

>Handful of chase cards at mythic
>2-3 rares people care about
>1 uncommon worth more than $1
Still not worth buying boxes.

>Helps your opponents

eh...

Decent mana rock though

Aren't most Clone variants strictly better than Clone?

Generally better than does not mean strictly better than. Sure Phantasmal Image is usually better than Clone, but not always.

Friends are actually looking forward to buy boxes

I don't buy boxes because I'm piss poor

Elves, the first ability won't trigger too often but Ezuri is always looking for more sources of ridiculous mana.

I used to have Xenagos but I crammed a lot of goodstuff in it.
Please post deck.

Most of them don't cost the literal exact same amount. Clever Impersonator is strictly better because it can copy whatever you need, but it costs 2UU. Not a big change, but it IS slightly harder to cast. Ditto with shit like Evil Twin and Vesuvan Doppelganger and Body Double- they have 'better' effects, but either a more color-intensive or higher cost (or both)

Gigantoplasm was literally "Clone, except with a one-creature Mirror Entity built in", and this is "Clone, except with Flash" for the same price as 'base' Clone.

Don't forget about the newest scalable Clone that can't be countered.

I have a feeling this might find a spot in my Mina & Denn deck with a ton of X/X Hydras

Same boat as Evil Twin and Dack's Duplicate- it's better than clone at the same (well, close enough) CMC, but it does cost 2 colors, which kinda 'justifies' the increase in power. Something that costs 2GU can be stronger than something that costs 3U because it's harder to cast.

Gigantoplasm and Stunt Double have the exact same cost as Clone, but are better.

Why Mina and Denn hydras instead of Rosheen Meanderer?

I'm the resident r/g and g/b player. If you're around in 3 hours I'll take a look, I'm just on my phone at the moment.

Mainly for the landfall abuse the deck was structured around. I should probably find a spot for Rosheen Meanderer though now that you mention it.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rock-me-to-the-top/

Are we posting these now?

Shoe in for my Surrak Dragonclaw Chaos deck.

here

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/angry-xenagos-roar-noise/

Some notes about the deck:

- it's a budgety deck, otherwise i would run cards like sneak attack, survival of the fittest, sylvan library etc.
- there are some slightly subpar creatures (at least in my opinion) for the sake of maintaining consistency and navigating the deck for answers. that's why i have cards like fierce empath, mwonvuli beast tracker, brutalizer exarch and acidic slime.
- i focused on creature-based ramp, fetch and tutoring since i have a bunch of stuff that requires creatures to be around (skullclamp, hunter's prowess, life's legacy, momentous fall) so it helps to have some extra bodies. also, early blockers are good in my meta
- also tried to have most of my ramp cycle since it's not fun to draw a non-cycling ramp card in topdeck mode
- my card draw is kinda janky but what are ya gonna do with these colors

cards i'm thinking of cutting

>archetype of endurance
expensive and doesn't really do anything by itself. could be useful later on as a tutor target, though. i'd like to playtest it a bit more
>chandra's ignition and soul fire
kind of janky, but fun and effective when applicable
>vandalblast
don't know if i really need mass artifact destruction, feels like a dead card a lot of time
>inquisitor's flail
kinda win-more

oh yeah, also thinking of cutting bloodbraid elf because the chances of her cascade hitting something actually useful are pretty small. i'm just keeping her in for now since i haven't drawn here yet

>4 generic good stuff decks

What do you think of Karlov in a life gain deck? I was posting about my Obzedat extort deck last night, but Karlov may make more sense as a commander of it, not a card n it.