/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Cuddling abominations edition.

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for Haskill.
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JAPUVs1asFg
youtube.com/watch?v=kQqlOYExL9k
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivek
uesp.net/wiki/Lore:A_Dance_in_Fire),
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Morrowind best setting
>ash yams
>slavery
>ebony, glass, egg mines
>emperor parasols
>Bitter Comfy Coast
>Dagon Fel
>Jump spells
>Spears
>Dank lore unspoiled by asspull retcons

And you would be right.

Too soon?

Too early. It's only 8 here on the east coast. I guess that means it's like 4am on the west coast.

How much tougher then steel is ebony? Is glass tougher then steel? Why isnt dwemer metal betterr then it is?

>clapistan is the only country in the world

Shout-out to the UESRPG team for having one of the best TTRPGs I've seen. Been spending a lot of time recently researching game systems for making one of my own and there's a ton of good ideas in there.

because linear progression of equipment

This thread belongs to the Order of the Black Worm.

>implying every country in the world doesn't belong to america

No, Morrowind is the only country in the world you n'wah.

>Bitter Comfy Coast
N'wah, swamps aren't comfy. Azura's Coast, Ascadian Isles, Grazelands, and even Sheogorad are comfy.

Can somebody explain Lord Jornibret's Last Dance to me? I feel like I'm missing something.

Nth for lizard tiddy autism.

>literally tumblr
Refrain from that 'round these parts.

They're fun to laugh at.

Nth for Black Marsh doesn't deserve sovereignity

How did he not tag it #lizardtitties

Maybe not IRL but vanilla Morrowind's earthy green and brown bogs, stumps, mossy trees, rainfall, ruins half-sunken in the mud, it's ultra-comfy.
Now that I think about it, Boethiah's shrine is sunken so far down but doesn't appear to have sat on its own island, does this mean the shores of Vvardenfell, or at least the Bitter Coast region, have sunken since the days of Veloth? Was Vvardenfell part of the mainland prior to some point in the Merethic?

Dwemer metal is old and unserviced and all the good stuff has been taken/broken already?

>Was Vvardenfell part of the mainland prior to some point in the Merethic?
Before an eruption of the red mountain, yes.

Inb4 water is memery implications

youtube.com/watch?v=JAPUVs1asFg

>swamps aren't comfy
Come to Finland and I'll fucking fight you n'wah
youtube.com/watch?v=kQqlOYExL9k
1:30 onwards for best shots

Sunk in the water, water is memory, lost in the water, lost to memory?
I don''t care for Kirkbride's tomfoolery, but that kind of makes sense.

First of all. That's not a swamp, that's a lake. Second of all, cold marshes and hot, humid marches are different.

>metal
>unserviced
What
And the stuff is perfectly fine. Buy you solid dwemer metal here! Perfect value for its weight!

How good is it for stickin up me ass?

Solid 10/10.

It's actually a lot of trouble choosing the right words when translating from Finnish, in English a fitting word for it might be a bog. See there's a whole bunch of words describing wetlands in both languages. Wouldn't you agree it's pretty comfy though?

Yes
Until mosquitos find you

Damp is not comfy.

And mosquitos

It's really jut metaphorial (yes, I know metaphors are beyond the ability of the more literal-minded people in lore debates)

It's really not.

>It must all be literal
There's a neurological cause to that limitation.

It's only ever been implied to be literal. That's why we're talking about it. If it was just metaphorical it wouldn't be lore. It would just be a random metaphor.

>Everything weird must be metaphorial

>There is no middle point

>It's another MK metaphysics wankery episode

I want MK to leave

bring up a topic

non-beastfolk slavery

It's justified.

Uh... How about Bosmer. Exactly what circumstances would make the Bosmer go through a wild hunt? Makes it seem as if it's an I-win button for whenever they get fed up with the Empire, alternatively the Altmer.

>MK lore
That's TES lore.

All of it. Let's be honest. At least all of it that's worth discussing. Him and Kurt.

Something extremely big.

For the record, the Wild Hunt is MK lore.

But that's not what's being said.

What about it?

MK metaphysics wankery doesn't equal MKs other lore.

Are they just harder to enslave, are there treaties?

The metaphysics and the lore are inseparable.

Mass deforestation of Valenwood

They can't be enslaved under the laws of the empire, along with anyone else. They are prized in Morrowind, but I think also illegal (not so for the beast races).

No. Cool mushroom houses and the split between colovian and nibenese cultures are very separable from the three people who formed Talos, and Atmora freezing in time, and similar.

Not really.

Ignoring the fact that MK had a hand in all four of the things, Talos and the formation of Talos has had heavy effects on Cyrodiilic culture.

You know, like it not being a jungle.

And Atmora freezing in time is why the Nordic empire came to be, which is why Alessia's empire came to be.

>Ignoring the fact that MK had a hand in all four of the things
Not the point, as I've already said t b h

>Talos and the formation of Talos has had heavy effects on Cyrodiilic culture.
And you can still discuss Cyrodiilic culture without trying to wrap your head around it.

>And Atmora freezing in time is why the Nordic empire came to be, which is why Alessia's empire came to be.
Indeed, but that's like claiming that the ancient hellenes are inseperable from mormonism.

>mike
>ɯike
>v v i k e -> v i v e k
>vivec
fuck i only realized this now
what a cheeky cunt

How? He was a lead developer on Morrowind (mushroom houses), one of the main authors of the PGE1 alongside Kurt (Colovia and the Nibenese), the author of the metaphysical texts on Talos that appear in the games, and the first to introduce the idea of Atmora frozen in time to the community, a concept that dates back to around the release of Morrowind within Bethesda.

You can talk about the little details of anything without the knowledge of anything deeper. That doesn't mean you should limit yourself to that. Talos is inseparable from Cyrodiil, but not in the way Reman is. It's his empire, after all.

It's not even confusing.

I'm just saying it's an important factor.

Someone in a previous thread mentioned it was an actual name.

Judging by the theological influence on Almsivi, I wouldn't doubt that's the source.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivek

>I-win button
It's just the Bosmeri version of a suicide vest.

Speaking of, who do you think it makes more sense to see go blood-simple on Nu-Cyrod?

The Nedes, or the Bosmer?

I find it hard to believe a Wild Hunt would ever be a full on thing in Valenwood. It's likely something a tribe or a group of tribes agree to when pressed against the wall. As things get more and more desperate for the Bosmer, Wild Hunters become more and more frequent.
Non-beastfolk slaves are definitely going to be much harder to come by then beastfolk ones. Khajiit slaves are generally sold to Dunmer merchants by their own kind in Elsweyr, while Argonian tribespeople are just straight up captured and sold. Both actions are likely illegal but the thing is that their is likely no one to really stop it from happening. At this point, most slaves are likely beastfolk bred in Morrowind.
There are probably a few Non-beastfolk slaves who find themselves captured after waltzing through the wrong parts of Elsweyr, but most non-beastfolk likely sell themselves or their children into slavery to pay off certain debts (which is likely itself illegal in anywhere other than Morrowind). I'm also sure many an unlucky nord hunter finds themselves in shackles after wandering too far over the morrowind border.

I have no idea why the Dunmer don't seem to try and enslave orcs.

>I find it hard to believe a Wild Hunt would ever be a full on thing in Valenwood
That's actually almost a thing that happened, or at least was an idea at one point which, because of it, would have resulted in Valenwood being sealed off as a "haunted province" post-Oblivion crisis.

>I have no idea why the Dunmer don't seem to try and enslave orcs.
This puzzles me.

And I still find the amount of Khajiit slaves too high, given the distance.

More opportunistic Khajiit actively deal with Dres slavers in southern Morrowind, where the slaves are then taken by boat to Morrowind.

It's the bosmer version of a full-tribe chimp out.

Which results in their own death, hence suicide.

>I-win button
Don't forget that in "A Dance in Fire" (uesp.net/wiki/Lore:A_Dance_in_Fire), the Wild hunt, after all the enemies are gone, starts eating itself appart in blind rage. It may be an I-win button, but the chances of you coming out alive of a wild hunt are pretty thin; so it isn't used all that often.

So the ogres of Drad were pivotal in the great war due to the natural barricade they made for Hammerfells border.

All seriousness, why don't ogres and orcs make alliances?

>I have no idea why the Dunmer don't seem to try and enslave orcs.
Because there's few Orcs in the region, and Orcs don't have an established slave trade that we know of.
Also, the Orcs arguably have closer ties to Imperial institutions like the Legion than Khajiits or Argonians.

It's MAD.

Waughin Jarth is easily one of my favourite in-universe authors.

In general, Ted Peterson is one of the best devs the series has had, and he's not given nearly enough credits. Let me just list the books he has written:

The Argonian Account
The Exodus
Purloined Shadows
2920, The Last Year of the First Era
Ancient Tales of the Dwemer
The Armorer's Challenge
The Axe Man
Biography of the Wolf Queen
The Black Arrow
Bone
Breathing Water
Brief History of the Empire
The Buying Game
The Cake and the Diamond
Chance's Folly
Charwich-Koniinge Letters
Cherim's Heart of Anequina
A Dance in Fire
Death Blow of Abernanit
Feyfolken
The Final Lesson
The Firsthold Revolt
The Four Suitors of Benitah
A Game at Dinner
The Gold Ribbon of Merit
Hallgerd's Tale
The Horror of Castle Xyr
How Orsinium Passed to the Orcs
A Hypothetical Treachery
Ice and Chitin
Incident in Necrom
Last Scabbard of Akrash
A Less Rude Song
The Locked Room
Lord Jornibret's Last Dance
The Marksmanship Lesson
Master Zoaraym's Tale
The Mirror
Mystery of Talara
Mysticism
Night Falls on Sentinel
Notes on Racial Phylogeny
The Old Ways
Origin of the Mages Guild
Overview of Gods and Worship
Palla
Poison Song
Realizations of Acrobacy
Response to Bero's Speech
The Rear Guard
Silence
Smuggler's Island
Surfeit of Thieves
The Third Door
Trap
Vernaccus and Bourlor
Withershins
The Wolf Queen
The Wraith's Wedding Dowry

And that's just what he wrote for Morrowind and Oblivion (he also wrote 38 books for Daggerfall).

Rain is comfy though.

I like my weather like my trees. Dank.

>Walk home from work in the rain with coffee, listening to Tomppabeats.
>Get home, take a hot bubble bath with incense burning.
>Heat up dinner and put on a cup of coffee.
>Light a few candles
>Wrap up in a soft blanket
>Sit at my throne, get on /tgesg/.
>About to continue my adventures in Morrowind.

Life doesn't get any better than this. How are you doing today, /tgesg/?

>How are you doing today, /tgesg/?
I'm doing fine. Right now I'm procrastinating while listening to podcasts, and afterwards I'm going to try to learn GURPS.
TES-related, I'm going to finish a thing I've been making for the thread, and read the first of the two official novels. Oh, and I have a Daggerfall playtrough I keep getting distracted from.

What podcast?
Yeah, I'm not the hugest fan of Daggerfall, but I do really like it. As much fun as it can be once you dive in, it's pretty easy to forget a play-through.

Norwegian News/Political podcast.
In terms of podcasts in English, I follow a lot:
Lore, Welcome to Night Vale, System Mastery, Generation Why, Sword and Scale, Tanis, Black Tapes, Film Reroll, and a bunch of others. I've become really used to just constantly listen to podcasts over the last few years.

>it's pretty easy to forget a play-through
Yeah, that's sort of the problem. I'm feeling more of a pull to play one of my current Morrowind characters, but I think I'm going to force myself into playing Daggerfall until I get into that character again. It bothers me that I'm so prone to leaving characters/games and forgetting about them.

>and Atmora freezing in time
That one's news to me.

>tfw you had multiple Khajiit questions after last weekend's thread and can't remember any of them

I wanna know why skyrim and oblivion didn't have regular cats

It's good to hear from you again, euro-user with excellent taste.
Yeah, I listen to Nightvale and Sword & Scale as well, along with a few others.
>I'm feeling more of a pull to play one of my current Morrowind characters
I definitely agree with this.

Probably what said. Though there may be a cultural influence as well. I'm not an expert on the history of slavery, but I recall learning that native american peoples were considerably more difficult to enslave - particularly the men.

>head cannon: Stronghold Orsimer - in addition to the obstinate and moody nature that all individuals of their species seem to possess - value the dominance of the patriarch to such a high degree that the idea of obedience to a self-asserted "master" is so foreign they are particularly disinclined to shoulder the yoke of slavery as compared to more liberal races.

Too bad, user. I like answering to the best of my ability questions about the Khajiit.

>moebius
Now that's some cool art. I can definitely see some Arzach in Morrowind.

>procrastinating while listening to podcasts
I normally clean my house while listening to podcasts. In-fact that's normally the only time I do.
Ted Peterson/Waughin Jarth is my waifu.

I always wondered if Waughin was a Nord or a Breton. The name is ambiguous enough, but I'd lean toward Breton because of his profession.

I imagine because it'd be awkward af
t. Daggerfall:Jokes

>plantigrade khajit and argonians

I always preferred the digitigrade versions. made them seem even more alien, more their own thing

I was actually the user who dumped a bunch of Moebius to show how much Morrowind's art design was inspired by it.

I'm also the user who used to smoke weed and play, one of the first guys to post in these threads, and a few other anons as well. But if I wanted acclaim or to be a special unique snowflake namefag I wouldn't be posting on here, so I'll shut up about it.

christ that cat is NOT happy with those pancakes

It's because they were made with regular sugar instead.

>Waughin Jarth
He's great. I also like how he's referenced in Father of the Niben (which wasn't written by Peterson), showing how he's an respected figure.
>Waughin Jarth, I have been told, in writing his well-regarded series on the Wolf Queen of Solitude used over a hundred contemporary narratives.
Jarth deals in both fiction and historical works, but he's absolutely a great scholar.

He's a Breton, by the way.
Interview With Three Writers:
>The man on the left -
>S'Reddit gestured to a jovial, jowly Breton.
>Surely needs no introduction. Waughin Jarth has been a literary treasure of Tamriel for decades, one of our most celebrated, most prolific writers, having graced us with "The Asylum Ball", "Dance in Fire", "The Wolf Queen", "Feyfolken" and many others.

Is it just me, or are the artists of Legends under the presumption that Altmer are white?

I get that their description in Morrowind described them as pale, but I always thought of it as pale-gold.

Elves in Legends are just white dudes with pointy ears. Oh, and some of them have grey skin.

>Anequina
Desert and rocky highlands giving way to savannah, for some reason I imagine it very tilted, with the northernmost parts of the subprovince much higher than up than the highest peaks of Pelletine, the Halls of the Colossus overlooking the entire subprovince, nestled in the mountains, with various gulfs and canyons carving their way through the desert, where alien plants and creatures flourish, undisturbed and in fact completely ignorant of the world above, pic related.

>Pelletine
The southern half of the province, it is practically idyllic on its' coastline, with palm fronds lazily swaying over the azure waters of the Topal Bay, although its vast sand shores soon give way to dense, although not practically tall jungle, more or less completely flat and completely dominated by the more or less tamed wilderness, large swathes of it cut down and replaced with solitary settlements and plantations, oftentimes next to the beach, or the uncommon but not implausible natural bay. It gives way in the west for a shallow bay, filled to the brim with islettes and attolls neither Khajiit nor Bosmer can claim. This bay generally signals the border between Valenwood and Elsweyr, but neither Bosmer nor Khajiit seem to notice this.

>Valenwood
Dense and unforgiving, Valenwood is said to be as tall as it is wide, the canopy of the massive trees overshadowing another enough for sunlight itself never to reach the actual ground. Well, what passes as ground. Large, slithering roots acting almost as bridges over faintly irridescent muck, tons of dead or dying animals, plant life, and dirt simmering and making the ground floor, that alternates between soft dirt, to outright liquid. The weather's tropical and unpredictable, and massive trees are flung haphazard by violent storms, laying draped between branches in the dark undergrowth. The entire province is often drenched in rain and wind, in storms that come without warming, and can last between minutes to weeks at a time.

>tfw chose bosmer in skyrim as my first tes because they were the closest to legolas
I hope they do more with the bosmer that isn't wild hunt or cannibal stuff

Oh, cool! I'm a pretty big fan of Manmer.
They've already done quite a bit. Especially in terms of metaphysics. That's why I'm not that afraid of TES VI: Valenwood.

All that's reasonable, but it's a long way from the goggle-eyed fantardery expressed in Altmer range from pale yellow to dark yellow. They get called 'golden rod' as a racial insult.

>golden rod
>not bananamer

IIRC they came to me when reading the Lleswer page from the 2nd PGE so I'm giving it another look through.
The 2nd PGE is about forgotten scifi shit Tamriel got up to during the 1000-year Dragon Break right? I think one was simply what's the distinction between Elsweyr and Lleswer? I assumed the latter was some metaphysical Khajiit moon colony named for the former but funnily enough the part where the author says that you literally cannot explore the province unless you're a psychopomp or a junkie is the only part where he spells it the usual way.

Also something about Rid-T'har-ri'Datta. Something big...

Thanks to a gratuitous amount of Fryse Hags, I now have 30 something Winterwound Daggers.

What do?

>Dance in Fire

Bosmer confirmed worst race

Sell most to Scamp or Mudcrab merchant. If you don't have mods to give them more money, keep some in a box and sell when they restock.
Of course it always helps to have one live with you.

I'd also keep one or two for decoration/as a backup weapon, if you use Short Blades.