mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
mtggoldfish.com/deck/434627#online
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Is there an advantage to playing mono white D&T over the wb eldrazi variant?
i like the mono w more and am in dire need of a list

>competitive
>uses casual artwork for the image

Phyrexian Obliterator is a spike card. It's a 5/5 for 4 that doesn't die to bolt and doom blade and it slots in Jund perfectly.

What Jund deck does Obliterator slot into?

I've never seen Obliterator played in Jund, it showed up a few times in 8-rack and it was suspect at best.

SCG stream has started, Modern invitational.

I still have my playset of rakshasa deathdealers from Khans standard, are there any viable modern decks that use them?

Wasn't it played in varous rock decks when it was first released?

>BBBB
>slots into a 3 color deck perfectly
the only deck it really works in is mono B devotion

No, and with those colors you'd be better off with Grim Flayer if you need aggro

If you want G/B aggro stick with Glissa, Grim Flayer and Lotleth Troll

>play loam dredge/squeeflagrate back eldrazi winter
>Upgrade to amalgam dredge because I thought it was fun
>Its now the current boogeyman of modern
>Bandwagoning fags and graveyard hate everywhere
>Its no longer fun practically because of everyone packing hate and my special snowflake cred is over.

Fuck this shit, Ill play Norin Sisters. I just want my underdog decks

There is always ground seal, unless you are getting fucked by leyline of the void and tormad's crypt.

Don't forget your Impact Tremors & Purphoros :^)

>Veeky Forumstards thought this card was going to break modern
>its a bargain bin rare that sees no modern play outside of shitty tier 3 decks
How can people be this bad at Magic?

Idk, a turn three 7/8 seems pretty bad to me.

Always do the opposite of what Veeky Forums says

Ironically Soul Sister variants are actually good vs Dredge, so thats actually not a bad move.

He looks cool. And it's not like a 5/5 with a good ability is a shit card

Remember Myth Realized?

Yeah the problem is Bedlam Reveler is just plain better.

Myth_Titi_Jeskai_memes.dek

Has anyone seen someone use a U/B processor deck in modern?

no because every version of processor sucks ass

THe only viable processor would be Ulamog's Nullifier. Even then 4 is a bit high.

>phyrexian obliterator is a spike card
>doesn't die to doom blade
>MTG COMPETITIVE MODERN GENERAL
>doom blade
>BBBB slots into jund

i have fucking heard EVERYTHING now

It's a conditional Mystic Snake.

>Mono black jund
huehue

and then id just ignore the janky prcessor shit and run mystic snake

Goyf belongs in dredge.

Could use Eldrazi temple for turn 3 nullifier, but you probably wont be able to counter with it until turn 4.

Tarfire!

You're supposed to run Path and Tidehollow Sculler to give you cards to process.

So many people already told you why 1-of tarifre isn't bad you dumb fuck.

I suppose temporarily exiling something with stuff like Tide hollow, Delay and Spell queller then eating them with whatever processor you have isn't too bad of an idea. But the deck would probably be a bit too janky to properly use.

>dumb trans can't play bogles for shit

Why did he path blighted agent on his opponent's end step?

Ad nauseam is a midrange deck! Just put 4 copies of tarmogoyf into it.

slivers tier 1 confirmed

>Beating Twin
Like seriously how do you beat Slivers? It has an answer to everything.

is there a reason why everyone is playing jank? i don't watch these streams often

Emrakul?

You can destroy Emrakul with necrotic sliver.

Necrotic Sliver ban when?

Worst of all it doesn't say "non-land permanent"

Supreme verdict

Hivelord.

Regenerate with sedge sliver, although they can probably only regenerate 1 or 2.

Let hivelord come down on 5, you verdict on 4. A single 5/5 you should be able to deal with.

>A single 5/5 you should be able to deal with.
Or can you ;^)

path, dismemeber

Mono W is far more consistent and is the better deck imo

Try this list:
4 Leonin Arbiter
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Flickerwisp
4 Blade Splicer
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 Aven Mindcensor
4 Restoration Angel

4 Aether Vial
4 Path to Exile

4 Ghost Quarter
3 Tectonic Edge
1 Mutavault
1 Eiganjo Castle
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Horizon Canopy
12 Plains

Sideboard:
2 Sunlance
2 Gut Shot
2 Stony Silence
2 Rest in Peace
2 Runed Halo
3 Mirran Crusader
2 Odric, Lunarch Marshal

Witness the heart of my silly casual deck!

So why isn't Valakut a legendary?

Can anyone recommend a budget deck to take to FNM that can be slowly upgraded to a competitive deck?

Back then the legend rule was that there can only be one legend of a certain name on the board for both players rather than for each player. That made legendary lands awkward. The rule has changed since then.

No, but you can play Mono Green Stompy while you save up for something better.

Nigger I know what the legendary rule used to be.

then why did you ask your dumb question? butthurt jund player?

>Tfw my deck is good aginst infect

No I mean legitimately, it should obviously be a legendary. Especially considering the nature of the card.

The fluff explanation at the time was that a land represents your connection to a location and your memories of it, and Zendikar is unusual in that it's signature locations are so huge and so full of mana that you can form multiple connections to them, like Valakut, Emeria, Oran-Rief, etc. with the exception of the Eye of Ugin.

Do you also have become immense to respond to the trigger with?

Elves might get cheaper if the price of CoCo drops after rotation.

>if the price of CoCo drops after rotation.
Haha haha, it's not going to drop, it sees too much play outside of standard to.

It will probably drop, just not a massive drop. I expect a two or three dollar drop at most.

>Competitive Modern
Oh look, almost the exact same decks are used in the exact same order with a couple of minor tweaks. Sure is a versatile format you've got there.

Ty, I'm missing only a few cards from that one and have stumbled on it before. Godspeed mate.

Actually, significantly more than any other constructed format. Still wish we could have twin back though.

Mono-red burn, my budget version is like 75$

I agree with you if he wanted to upgrade it for a little he could and if he wanted to upgrade it a lot that is also an option.

He says, right on the heels of Dredge's inauguration into Tier 1.

Not more than legacy.

I'm getting back into the game, I have two decks left from 2005 (I think?), Merfolk and Kithkin. Googling brought up loads of results that makes me think Merfolk came back to be a T1 deck?
All the new cards are expensive though, so I went and built a U/W Spirit deck that I can play with against my friend, who is also pretty much a filthy casual.

Any recommendations on a budget deck to get back into the game but mostly have fun with? No milling or rush, please, I'll probably be playing against friends most of the time. Oh and edition doesn't matter.

>This gets unbanned
How much of a shake up would this do for the format if it ever happened?

Twin would probably go back to being the most played deck in the format.

Look at the second post

It does not go into Jund. It goes into a deck that plays Dromoka's Command as a one sided wrath/armageddon.

lol Merfolk are back

Any suggestions about budget decks?

It might not seem like it, but this is the competitive modern general for tryhard virgin nerds. not budget discussion.

Browse the budget subthreads on mtg salvations.

>Any recommendations on a budget deck to get back into the game but mostly have fun with? No milling or rush, please, I'll probably be playing against friends most of the time.

Then what's the issue with mill? you're probably not going to win. Their spells will on average take a much higher chunk of your life than theirs.

I assume you're not building competitive whatsoever then, which means if you're playing for kitchen table you don't even want to LOOK at the tier list. The moment you say "Im playing against friends", playing anything tier while they're not will lose you those friends quite quickly. Basically, any of the three core win strategies (mill, "fair" lethal damage, combo) will make your friends not want to play against you if you win quickly and consistently enough. If you're playing T1 merfolk you're in no way playing budget, either. Merfolk runs plenty of money cards including Aether vials, your MoPTs are 8 bucks a piece, mutavaults, etc

I'd recommend just going through gatherer, picking a cool card you want to build around, and just brewing it for shits and giggles. It will probably not be worse than the shitfest your friends will be playing, if you're thinking they won't enjoy playing against you if youre playing mill (none of which exists in high tiers, btw)

Start with a cool budget piece that COULD find a home in modern, and work around it. Also very important, HAVE A WIN CONDITION. You have no idea how many people I've seen brew decks that go "sweet i did it now how do I win?"

How do you WANT to win? Do you want to win simply, or extravagantly? The best part about budget kitchen table modern to me is that you get to play some of the underplayed dollar rares and get those wacky game plans off that would never work in competitive, like mayaels' aria, darksteel reactor, who fucking knows.

The MAIN issue here, to me, is that this thread explicitly says competitive modern. But thats dumb. pic unrelated just an underplayed common

god that is shit

Twin would be a deck again and not much else would change

I mean Modern didn't change at all when it was banned. Good decks are still good and bad decks are still bad.

Sure but it's fun.

Chill ya titties, my man.
I still have a milling deck lying around, I'll take a pic if you want, it's just not fun to play against because well it's mill.
Sorry for not being clear enough: I'm not looking for anything specifically, but if I must: I came across Soul Swallower the other day, looks like so much fun to dish out and let it grow indefinitely.

Thanks for pointing out the win condition, my biggest problem is that I've played yugioh competitively for many, many, many years and it's literally nothing like MTG which is also a reason I quit YGO. I haven't reached that point where I see a card and can think of combos to pull off with it, hell I just googled why Splinter Twin was banned. I didn't even know of cards that untapped when entering. It's hard for me to put together a deck that is not meme-tier with random shit in it because "the effect sounds cool".
My friend is mostly netdecking, getting decks from youtube or plain just googling "[archetype] deck", I'm cool with that, I just figured might as well ask people what would be fun to play on a budget.

Here's a janky combo deck that's under $100.

mtggoldfish.com/deck/434627#online

lol that looks fun, thank you very much

how competitive is magic compared to, say, a video game like CS:GO or Starcraft

Explain what you mean by that.

I guess what I'm asking is, to what degree is magic competitive? How high is the skill cap? Do people who are "very good at Magic" consistently place high at tournaments? How much of a factor is luck?

I'm really disillusioned by Hearthstone, for example. It feels like there's a concrete flowchart of what to do in any given situation and the rest comes down to sheer luck. It is only superficially competitive.

Magic is very skill intensive. There is luck involved, but skill will almost always out you at an advantage. Each format of Magic has a different amount of skill and luck involved and each deck within that format is different as well. In total, it's skill intensive.

Well it's a lot more about skill than HS since the cards aren't RNG based and you actually have decisions to make.
It's still a card game though so obviously games can be won or lost due good/bad draws.

A lot of it is also about building and tuning your deck and knowing which deck to bring to a certain event. Where the other games you mentioned are more about the players reactions and action per minute Magic is about decision making.

To add to what the others correctly said: There's a lot of mindgames as well, you need to know what decks are being played, what to expect at what turn and when to break a combo.
People who are very good at the game also consistently place high at tournaments, there's as much luck involved as in Poker.

Hearthstone has _a lot_ more RNG outcomes than Magic.

It's more like poker than hearthstone

>Chill ya titties, my man.
they're chill bro trust
>I still have a milling deck lying around, I'll take a pic if you want, it's just not fun to play against because well it's mill.

the thing is, your mill deck is probably not great. it isn't anything personal, it's a consequence of competitive modern. any reasonably viable mill includes some seriously expensive cards. I don't mean to knock what you do or don't know about the game because I know that it's a system of interacting systems and mentally cataloging cards based on effect and effectiveness takes quite a lot of time.

That said, consider that if your deck is randomized properly and your opponent blind mills you five cards with Tome Scour. You have to assume that most of the cards in your deck are close in effectiveness, so your deck can be as consistent as possible. If you have only a few cards that are better than the rest of your deck, mill is likely to get rid of a bunch of not-so-good cards. If all the cards in your deck are great and you don't have a graveyard plan, you don't care that your opponent arbitrarily removed some cards from your deck because all the ones that are left are still really good and as long as you're above zero you're fine.

The stuff that can REALLY frustrate players and get rid of your friends is running this piece of shit alongside your mill deck, so if you hit a single copy of something important you can drive a nail in their game plan.

Apologies if i come off as crass or something, just trying to help with what I know.

>but if I must: I came across Soul Swallower the other day, looks like so much fun to dish out and let it grow indefinitely

Alright, well let's see what sort of options Soul Swallower gives us. Remember that for the purposes of this thought experiment I'm going to be using competitive modern as the context.

Soul Swallower has GG in its mana cost, so right off the bat you're sort of deep into green. It's a 3/3 with trample which is a tiny bit below curve for its cost, but its delirium trigger is pretty heavy; enough that after a single trigger, it's more than worth what you spent and only gets bigger.

So the very first observation I have is that you are going to certainly need delirium consistently in order to make soul swallower worth it for you. This is where you might have some trouble, because you aren't intimately familiar with the game's efficient ways of getting things into your graveyard. But right off the bat, when I think delirium, I think about Faithless Looting, in red. Itself is a sorcery, and you can discard anything else, which gets you 3/4 of the way to delirium on turn one.

Soul Swallower is on the higher end of modern-costed creatures, what people would generally call a midrange beater (and removal magnet, since it doesn't protect itself and dies to Lightning Bolt before its trigger). For a similarly costed card occasionally played in Modern, look no further than Huntmaster of the Fells. The difference is that Mr. Fells pays himself off and more AS he comes onto the board, and his flip value is just gravy. The main difference between Huntmaster and Soul Swallower is the fact that if they remove Soul Swallower before your trigger (which, by the way, cheap removal is VERY plentiful in modern), you never got your mana's worth.

(con't)

Whatever happened to sword/foundry decks, and do you think it will ever be a viable archetype?

(cont'd from )
If your opponent is going to try and hold removal for your large dudes, and you aren't running reactive answers (things like instant hexproof; by the way, situationally good if they're online [if your opponent is playing cards they viably answer] but not always so good because of how narrow they usually are) your goal is to try and drop enough threats to empty their hand of answers so by the time you drop Swallower they're sitting on an empty hand or some creature you can just plow through.

As for deck tech, the options are endless in casual. You can try and go a Hardened Scales route and try and build something around +1/+1 counter value, run something like Gyre Sage, who knows. You could also go a Delirium route, play Grim Flayer and Whispers of Emrakul, Maybe Grisly Salvage, who knows. Either way, hopefully this helps you understand a few mechanics of the game a bit better and what sort of opportunities you should be looking for in your opponents. Paying attention to how many cards my opponent had in their hand was not something I did when I first started, but now "cards in hand?" is a fairly common question.

Also, i have too much time on my hands and sorry for making you google all these lmaoooo