What game systems do the best job of reducing metagaming?

What game systems do the best job of reducing metagaming?

I'm looking for a system that:

1. Doesn't provide players with mechanisms to affect the story through any medium but their characters (no Inspiration or Bennies). This doesn't rule out characters who themselves have some weird luck-manipulation power, I suppose, as long as the decision to use them can be an in-character concern

2. Takes control away from the players as little as possible. This is less of a realism issue and more of a result of the above. If players have no way to do anything besides via their characters, they should have absolute ability to make any decision their character could make.

3. Is one in which the best choice in-character (i.e., the choice that would be most tactically sound given the way the universe appears to work TO THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN THAT UNIVERSE) is also as often as possible the one that's the best from a mechanical standpoint.

4. Is one which encourages GMs to place consistency above other concerns, so as to provide a framework in which the characters can make decisions that make sense, and players can feel confident that these decisions won't be fucked up by a rule being weird.

5. Is designed so as to provide players with nuance in character generation.

6. Does as much as possible to prevent players from receiving, much less making decisions based on, things their character wouldn't know.

I know people usually ignore recommendations of GURPS, but if I've ever seen a post where GURPS was the answer, it's this one.

Proooobbbaaabbblllyyy....GRUPS

Thanks!

Anybody know of any that are more centered around one genre or setting? Not that I'm opposed to GURPS. Just curious if any other games do this well.

I don't think I've ever recommended GURPS for anything before but for this, I'm agreeing: GURPS

B... but anything GURPS does, BRP does better

I like burning wheel its designed around characters having traits that directly affect the game and by taking traits that make the character more complex you gain more opportunities to gain bonuses. Like if you had the traits always ready for a fight which may mean when you use it that ambushed you don't get caught off gaurd but the gm can call on the trait as well so if you are trying to look none threatening to guards he could say but because you are always ready for a fight they see that your tensed and ready to fight so they draw weapons anticipating you to attack. In the negative use the charecter gets a bonus in the form of Artha (think more powerful hero points) the player can choose wether or not he wants the Artha and if he chooses not to take it than the gm cannot use his trait against him. Its also set in what I call hard fantasy where taking a heavy crossbow quarrel to the chest could kill a character out right so playing smarter not hard is encouraged.

How does BRP do 3 and 5?

That system sounds awesome, but Artha sounds a lot like what OP doesn't want based on point 1.

it is exactly that, artha is a meta currency earned for role-playing which gives bonuses on rolls

OP here.
>BRP
How does it relate to GURPS and what makes it better?

I'd play that game, but it isn't what I'm looking for at all. Thank you, though.

To go deeper into artha there are three kind, fate which is given out commonly for stuff like I described which give the ability to make us explode. Persona which are given out when a charecter meets a milestone for a goal. Which gives the ability to ignore a negative dice or add dice to a roll. And last deeds which you get after completing a goal. Deeds lets you double all your dice for one roll. So they don't effect the story but really just there to enhance cool moments or to help players survive difficult moments.

OP here. Please carefully reread point 1 in my post. I said I do NOT want things like that. Unless the characters in-universe know they have Artha, such that it makes sense to talk about it in-character and your characters can decide when to use it.

So you want an extremely simulationist game. Yep, GURPS.

Are there any other good simulationist games? Like I said earlier, I'm not against GURPS, but I'd like to know of more than one.

Hey, on this subject, what do you all think of Harnmaster? I've never played it but it sounds cool.

Also, does Traveller fit OP's criteria?

nobody fuking cares op specifically said he doesnt want that fuck off whats your problem FUCK
im not even involved in the discussion at hand, just lurking and your autism set me the hell off

No need to be an example about it. I'm sorry I miss read what he want but your response is no way to have a civil discussion

Fucking autocorrect

system aside, the best way to prevent players to metagame is to:
-ask them not to
-don't create tempting sitautions where subtle metagaming is extremely beneficial to them
-punish obvious metagaming, by simply asking the player " how could your character honestly reach those conclusions?".
-make an original story where your adventure and "encounter" doesn't run on rails. This is easiest on non-simulationist games, but is possible even on GURPS, just know the rule and be good at improvisation.

You should probably just a take a system you like and strip out all the things you don't want. If you want artha to be something that people know about in the world than do that. If you don't want artha to be a thing at all than don't use it. All systems are modular to an extent. That is the whole point of gurps to be super modular. Also if a system has a rule that will screw your party over from doing something they want to do for a weird reason you don't need to use the rule its called house ruling use it.

Sword path glory is an answer

iirc Paranoia lets the GM outright kill players for metagaming.

I'll check both of those out.
I'll look into it.

I'm not the one who said BRP is better but it's, from a player standpoint, a really simple system. They have a collection of skills, those skills are the percentage chance they have at succeeding, just roll d%. Equal or under pass, over fail. I've seen different ways to increase/decrease difficulty but a few examples are +-20% on skill, double/halve skill, and CoC 7e does a new thing where you roll the 10s die twice on advantage you take the lower number on disadvantage the higher.

There are a few different magic systems if that is something you are interested, but other than that (and a mutation system) it's as simple as that for the players.

So you're missing the advantage/disadvantage system from GURPS and it's a flat % rather than the 3d6 bell curve. It also has your stats as 3-18 which is kind of weird compared to the rest of the system (CoC 7e has made those % from what I understand).

bump

Hackmaster...
...am i a weirdo?

Paranoia has perversity points(so it fails point #1) and it actively encourages certain kinds of metagaming(making the GM laugh or advancing a stalled game are worth perversity, for example).

You need some autopunctuate.

How can any system enforce point 6 though?

Here's a thought out of left field.

Traveller.

It'd take a lot of work to port it outside the scifi setting (unless you just have everyone roll up characters with the barbarian profession).

But overall, I think it does a lot of good things with a simple system.
>combat is quick, simple, and can be very deadly
>no leveling and associated numbers bloat (the most you can do is incrementally improve skills over time)
>light enough that GMs to make useful judgements instead of fighting the rules in edge cases, but with enough mechanics for players to grab hold of

The settings can be limited, but honestly, PTU (pokemon tabletop united) can do all that. Theres a ton you can do with a pokemon setting as far as creativity; stick to the classics and to a league challenge, classic 'save the realm', or even something unknown to the series like apocalypse.

But hey, if it aint your thing, thats cool too.