5eg - 24d10 + 24d6 + 60 Cantrips Edition

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old thread How can YOU abuse eldritch blast?

Other urls found in this thread:

blacksharkenterprises.com/single-post/2016/1/27/Alternate-Sailor-Backgrounds-for-DD-5e-The-Fisherman-Whaler
youtube.com/watch?v=K0Gx8hYi0hQ
docs.google.com/document/d/1IeOXWvbkmQ3nEyM2P3lS8TU4rsK6QJP0oH7HE_v67QY/edit
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>rogue 5 / fighter 7 / warlock 5 / sorcerer 3

>hex before you start fighting
>cast eldritch blast as action, four eldritch blasts, triggers hex four times
>bonus action to attack, triggers hex, triggers sneak attack for 3d6
>action surge
>vomit more eldritch blasts in their face
>out of range? use sorcerer points for MORE eldritch blasts

>you get a shield
>you get heavy armour
>you get uncanny dodge
>you get the shield spell

What more could you want?

That picture is fucking amazing

I thought Hex had some kind of "once per round" cap on its damage.

Also
>optional pushback
>potentially up to 600ft range without metamagic
>temporary HP every time you kill an enemy
>second wind
>assassinate
>2 level 3 every short rest spellslots, 2 long rest level 3 spell slots, 3 level 2 spell slots, 4 level one spell slots
>take the close combat fighting style for +1 to hit with eldritch blasts and no penalty for point blank firing

The only reason you wouldn't be immediately kicked from the group is everyone else would be level 20 and be just as overpowered with their wishes.

If you read the spell, it's 'every time you hit it with an attack'
As an eldritch knight, that's up to 5 times a turn, or 9 with action surge.
Sorcerer using quickened spell, up to 8 times a turn.
Quickened spell and action surge, 12 times a turn.
Sneak attack only triggers once a turn, hence trying to use it alongside eldritch knight's level 7 feature.

It does not. The only limits to it are concentration, range, and it having to be an attack roll.

Screw sneak attack, just take 3 levels in Rogue for the auto crit. Hex someone secretly as you walk past and then EB them in the surprise round for ass loads of automatically critting damage.

5 levels in rogue is mostly to take advantage of uncanny dodge.

>anybody who makes a weapon attack against you, and somehow succeeds past your heavy armour, shield and spells will then have their damage halved

On the other hand, you'd kind of end up sucking if anyone makes you do a saving throw unless you have the element absorption ability.

I don’t know whether to hate or love this. Either way this is just silly.

Hey guys I'm about to start a new game in 5e.
I've played a little and am sort of familiar with 5e.

I'm making a new char based on this:
blacksharkenterprises.com/single-post/2016/1/27/Alternate-Sailor-Backgrounds-for-DD-5e-The-Fisherman-Whaler

and I'm going with a fighter with Great Weapon Fighting
and I want him to dual wield a net and trident.

Thing is a trident is super lackluster as a weapon, so I'm wondering if you could give me tips and hints on another weapon I could use or something.

I was reading up on harpoon from 3.5e but that shit is bullshit broken.

Please give me any thoughts on this.

Sorry I attached the pdf like a fool. here's the jpg

>great weapon fighting
>dual wielding
>dual wielding with non-light weapons at that
What

Dual-wielding must normally be with two 'light' property weapons.
Great weapon fighting is kind of for weapons you're holding in two hands.

If you hold the trident in two hands, you will get two-weapon-fighting, however.

If you're lucky, perhaps your DM will give you a non-thrown, larger version of the trident. Perhaps a 1d10 one with reach, like a pike.

Use the morningstar stats. If you want throwing, ask your GM because that's not currently permitted and a bit too good IMO. A net it generally bad I think, and if you want to use one you need to have the rest of the build fairly optimal. Crossbow expert and a hand crossbow with the net isn't amazing but I've heard it works.

I meant 2 handed wielding.

Great weapon makes it so that if you roll a 1 or 2 in dmg and you're 2 handing a weapon you get to reroll.

Yea GM said we'll work it out so maybe I can get a better trident.

Or have a mechanic where dmg is double if I pierce a target. Cause tridents have weird spikes that hurt on the way out as well.

Well I wanted the net as a kind of grapple mechanic and too add a little fun to playing a fisherman.

Also my team is going to be ranged people so since I'm the only melee I want to be able to net someone and focus on someone else.

I hear nets can be pretty good.
You'd have to use them on something like a beastmaster, though. Or a rogue with two-weapon fighting and the feat to allow them to use non-light weapons.

Also somewhat viable at lower levels anyway before you get multi-attack, or on a cleric or wizard with nothing better to do.

This.

I will use it before getting multi-attack.

Cause nets are crap and make it so that you can only attack once after you throw it.

why do you need shield if you have uncanny dodge, or vice versa? they both require reaction.

Oh, good point.
However, shield has limited uses.
You can use shield after you see the result of the enemy's die.
If you think you could negate the attack with shield, you use shield.

If the enemy crits, use uncanny dodge.

If the enemy hits and you don't feel like using shield and you don't think anyone else will attack you this turn (uncanny dodge only works once, shield lasts the whole turn) just go for uncanny dodge.

God Hex is amazing.

Why are open fist monks good again?
Is it just the capstone bonus?

Flurry-based target control.

They don't have to spend ki on spells and suchlike.
The capstone bonus is good, and the bonuses to flurry of blows allows you to shove people to the floor. Combine that with someone to grapple them once they're shoved to the floor, and you have yourself some brilliant crowd control.

All I can think about when I see that picture is
youtube.com/watch?v=K0Gx8hYi0hQ

They've got 3 pretty great features. The Flurry enhancement is great because you want to Flurry most of the time anyways, the self healing is great because anyway to keep on your feet is welcome, and capstone is one of the most unique and powerful.

Shove is very powerful (and the key reason people build grapplers in 5e, though monks don't actually make good grapplers), locking down a wide variety of enemies that almost certainly don't have proper counters to it.

>Thing is a trident is super lackluster as a weapon
That's sort of historically fitting; while retiarius certainly embody a point of fascination, trident + net isn't really a battlefield combination.

Speaking of which, here's some boring updated shit that no one will care about. Importantly, and I know quite a few homebrews have covered it, 5e does not cover a few very important aspects of ancient/medieval combat. There's, for instance, no mechanic that emphasizes a one-handed weapon with an open hand (no shield) in the other (e.g. the dueling fighting style can be used with a shield), despite it being a very important dueling technique. And other stuff.

There's too much Guard shit in there, but we'll see what we can get rid of

Yeah - I put the familiar in general powerlevel slightly above quasit and slightly below imp.

Better as a scout, worse at other things.

how dumb / strong can a character get with a roll of 3D6, with the average stat being about an 8 + two 15's OR 1 17.

I'll dump these again for anyone else's interest. Based on playtesting it's all fairly clean.

More than one or two high attributes doesn't matter much in 5e, since classes only really tend to key off of one or two attributes for most of their things.
Tbh, point-buy/standard array are very clean and sufficient ways to do ability scores in 5e.

I don't think I understand the question. Am I missing something or would the answer just be 3 and 18?

>The character is able to speak formally, showing respect and being careful around words, always trying to find the better solution through talking. The player also says he's a handsome one.
>But he's asocial; He's too careful when approaching other NPCs, and tries to evade people, only talking when prompted to or when it's necesary

How much charisma score would that be really? Since on D&D it seems always implied that looks and ability to speak go together and have an unbreakable bond.

8-10, but with Persuasion skill prof

How does ranged combat work firing in to a melee combat?

For more experienced DMs, if a player had a broken magical item that used to be able to cast a spell once a day, how much gold/etc. would you have them spend in order to get it fixed?

Disadvantage without crossbow expert.

It is never implied that looks go together with ability to speak.

Let me DIRECTLY QUOTE from page 14 of the PHB

"A character with high Charisma exudes confidence, which is usually mixed with a graceful or intimidating presence. A character with a low Charisma might come across as abrasive, inarticulate, or tímid"

Often up to a DM, though I believe half-cover (+2 AC) is customary. I think it's sensible that a DM allows nat 1s to hit friends sometimes, though nat 1s shouldn't hit friends when there's absolutely no reason they would (firing at a lone enemy in the middle of nowhere).

I see. I kind of let that slip, and had in mind how 3.5 players described 3.5 charisma to me back then. Thank you.

>24d10 + 24d6 + 60 Cantrips
Explain

Would anyone be interested in a debuffer cleric based around poison? I put this together and was wondering if anyone thinks it's mechanically sound or would be interesting to play.

Creatures provide half-cover if the shot has to go through them, so the target gets +2 AC.

I think one might very well have a high charisma score and come across as not particularly confident/graceful/intimidating.
For instance, I'm playing a sorcerer (with a high charisma score) in a game who is fairly meek in regard to new people and situations in general, but warms up to people fairly quickly and comes across as endearing and sociable afterward.

>sneak attack doesnt work with ED
>Hex cost one bonus action, if you kill your target you wont be able to place at another
>There is an invocation for better range, those sorcerer levels are shit
>You have disadvantage with spell attack rolls at meelee

Question about jack of all trades
does the bonus apply to regular ability checks?
Say a strenght check or a con check?
Asking because I play on roll20 and this sheet automatically adds a +1 to all ability checks, thought jack of all trades was for skill checks only, and ability checks couldn't get modifiers outside of their stat mods
I know I may be making zero sense

i just want a new campaign setting book

eberron please

dark sun please

a forgotten realms that isnt the sword coast please

There's no such thing as a "skill check" in 5e. Skills are ability checks that, because of your training and what you're making the check for, allow you to add your proficiency bonus to it.

Eberron next year, Dark Sun after.

Patience.

Thanks guys. For some reason I just can't remember or find in in the rulebook. So many games, versions of D&D, blending together I guess.

Glossing over that it seems fine to me. There are some wording corrections I'd want to make to bring it more in line with 5e sentence structuring, but mechanically it seems alright. Might want to playtest the capstone a bit myself though, to make sure the damage is in line. Though I think it *should* be alright given you only have so many ways to actually inflict poison on something.

How are illusionists in 5e? t

Fucking amazing. The level 14 feature is the strongest class feature - out of all classes - in the whole game.

I mean...Out of Abyss is in the Underdark

I can dig it. Not enough cleric brews in my opinion

other than color spray, the only other related abilities are prismatic spray and prismatic wall?

any ideas for a rainbow power? at least 1 at every level plus a cantrip

pic related

I appreciate the feedback. I'll work on the sentence structure some more to bring it further in line with the PHB. Thanks.

HOW
DO
YOU
KNOW
THIS

PLEASE TELL ME

IM GOING TO FUCKING KILL MYSELF!!

So got a game coming up on Monday where I can pull out some homebrew. Dug through my stash, and dusted off this number I pulled out of this thread probably months back. Think I should try it? Seems to be based around short rests

Pretty good job overall senpai - not many homebrews I come across intuitively register as having fairly balanced mechanics like that.

wooooooooooords

Alright, then does that mean jack of all trades benefits ALL ability checks, incluiding those who are just "strenght checks" and the like?

Yes it does.

the original post started with gaining close quarters shooting from the light dark underdark UA so your close range EBs won't be at disadvantage (and for the +1 to hit). You grab that and action surge from fighter.

The sorcerer levels are for quicken spell so you cast 3 EBs in one nova. If you get the surprise round you have advantage and automatically crit on all of them for the 24d10+60 damage. You get an additional 12 d6 if you hex the turn before (24d6 if you hex before the surprise round).

It's the keen sight that I'm not a big fan of really, it can't speak so it can't convey information that well but with 19 PP and +4 with advantage active perception as long as the check is about seeing takes away from what is normally done by the perceptive ones in the party. There are already things that can do this, like the mastiff from Find Steed which can communicate telepathically or the beast master's pet, and maybe it's not much of an issue, but it just seems like it would make the game less fun for someone.

I personally don't like the idea of a class entirely based around gear the rest of the world inexplicably can't use, and I really hate universal nullifier (though the odds of actually getting to it in a game make it basically irrelevant)
In terms of how mechanically sound it is it's kind of hard for me to tell since there's a lot of information to go through.

how about the levels before that?

I dunno - a bunch of other familiar options have multiple keens. The owl, for instance, has two keens and flyby, so it can use the help action in combat without putting itself in any danger. It literally has 1 less PP than the oberserver, but has advantage on both sight and hearing instead of just sight.

Where do you get 19 PP though? It has 14 PP.

Since illusions are fucking awesome, and you're playing wizard which is either the best or second best class in the game, they do just great.

A simple combination of fighter 2/sorcerer3/warlock2 with a high enough level to get four eldritch basts.

Cast hex.
Use agonizing blast.
Use quickened spell - agonizing blast again.
Action surge. Agonizing blast again.

You can see under OP for some other suggestions such as sneak attacking after eldritch blasting and all that.

So the average of all 6 stats is 8
You get 2 15s, or 1 17.
How high/low can your strength go while still keeping the average at 8?

The answer is 3 and 9/18. 3+15+15+4+3+8, 3+17+13+4+3+8. 9+15+15+3+3+3, 18+17+4+3+3+3. Not sure why you ask though.

This is the kind of shit that turned me off 5e. Powergaming by accident

You can't "powergame" in fucking 5e.
Jesus Christ.

>3 levels in Rogue
>Auto-crit

How often do you really think a DM is going to let you get away with getting a surprise round?

That shit will never happen often enough to warrant taking assassin as a Rogue choice over Swashbuckler WILL IT?

God damned Mike Mearls, has he ever even glanced at a medieval manual on fighting before? Goddamn the UA on feats was hard to read.

What is this insane concern with 'balance'? None of the weapon-related feats have ANYTHING to do with the weapons themselves.
- The Axe feats are mechanical permutations of AD/DA, and say nothing about what war-axes would have been useful for (aside from being utilitarian, pendulum blades were very useful at causing structural failure of mail). If the Flail feat down below can specify Shields, why doesn't this feat specify Mail-based armors?
- The Blade Master feat is just ridiculous; why would you need to use a reaction to be in a "parrying" stance?
- Flails in general are silly (and Victorian), but entangling foes is absolutely not something that would have happened
- Polearms need to have more granularity in general, but requiring a bonus action to grant reach is super silly.

This stuff is worse than the majority of homebrew.

Swashbuckler contributes nothing to the build though (except I guess Charsima to initiative). Assassin getting to auto crit (not too unfeasible considering you can EB from 500 feet away with Spell Sniper and the Eldritch Spear invocation) is taken because getting the auto crit actually contributes to your build somewhat.

Wait, what's ED?

If you mean eldritch blast, of course it doesn't.
But it works with eldritch knight's bonus attack after making an eldritch blast.

If you kill your target with hex, you can use a bonus action to reapply the hex to a different target.
However, the biggest issue here is that bonus action - you need that bonus action on eldritch knight to get the extra attack/quickened spell.

Those sorcerer levels are for quickened spell. They could honestly be worth it when it gives you several uses of an extra eldritch blast alongside more spellslots.

You will not have disadvantage with spell attack rolls in melee if you take the feat I suggested for fighter that gives you no disadvantage for ANY ranged attack in melee and +1 to hit.

If it's an ability check and you do not apply your proficiency bonus, you apply it.
Initiative is one example - you apply jack of all trades to initiative.

It was wrong in 3.5 but there were morons who assumed it was purely looks all the way to 1e.

Is there any familiar option that has good perception and is able to communicate or understand language? I don't think it's a huge thing and owls doing the fly-by help is really good for combat, but it's something I would find annoying as a GM that focuses on staying alert and such. Passive perception gets a +/-5 for advantage/disadvantage.

No, it doesn't happen consistently often. That's one of the things people completely fail to understand when they talk about how "assassinate novas are OP".

You won't get any sneak attack from 400 feet away. 3 levels in rogue just for circumstantial auto-crits, which only add an additional d10 to each ray, is hardly a worthy investment.

To be honest, it shouldn't be like that.

But you're not bad for playing it like that.

Because otherwise you can't have a socially awkward warlock, for example.

It's kind of a tricky subject.

>Is there any familiar option that has good perception and is able to communicate or understand language?
The observer can't communicate a language my man - check out the 'Languages' block. I'll remark that any familiar can telepathically communicate with its master, and thus are able both to communicate and understand said master regardless of their current form.

We're not making an "OP" build, it's a silly theory crafting idea.

You will get sneak attacks if you use eldritch knight and you get into melee.

Not only that, I also suggested under OP that you go for 5 levels in rogue.

This gives you uncanny dodge.

This way, you have 3d6 sneak attack if you combine it with eldritch knight's bonus attack after casting eldritch blast.

Then, you also have uncanny dodge which means you can half damage of any attack-roll attack, which might well be worth it.

What else would you put those levels in but tankiness and potential extra damage?
Eldritch blast advances regardless of what you multi-class into, so you can afford to take slightly questionable level-ups.
Rogue gives not only more tankiness, but potential extra damage if combined with eldritch knight's attack.

How do I play the character who is interested in learning about everything magic and is only not bored and apathetic when dangerous things are happening that engage him without making them annoying as shit?

I think it's perfectly fine - charisma is as much an internal strength and force of spirit as it is an external one.

I don't see why illusions are that great, outside of utility, but I imaigne that can be covered BY things outside of illusion?

Would you say /; do you think illusionists require a bit more DM leniency to be truly effective? or is that an unfounded fear?

I'm just looking to try out a wizard class that can more dick around with opponents than outright blow em up.

Play warforged.
Become Marvin the Depressed Android.

>You will get sneak attacks if you use eldritch knight and you get into melee
No. No you won't.

How are conjuration wizards?

I was just talking about Rogues in general. I was blatantly disregarding your Eldtrich Blast Wave Cannon shenanigans.

Might kill myself in a campaign at this rate. Assassin is useless overall

If you have two levels in warlock, you can cast 'silent image' at will.
The level 14 illusionist can then, at will, create an adamantine box, anywhere, anytime.

I wouldn't call it overpowered, and not as powerful as user makes it out to be, but it's certainly an interesting ability. You can, at will, make an image within a 15 ft cube and make it real as long as it doesn't have any moving parts.
Alright. Tell me, where?
Where does it say you WON'T get a sneak attack if you meet the requirements and attack with a rapier as your bonus attack, hm?

Rouges are fucking crazy in situations.

I should play a chainlock at some point, then maybe I'll learn what their features are. Until then, I suppose I'll keep being wrong on the internet, I did not remember all of them got telepathy.

>I don't see why illusions are that great
Here's a guide that touches on why illusions are so good.
docs.google.com/document/d/1IeOXWvbkmQ3nEyM2P3lS8TU4rsK6QJP0oH7HE_v67QY/edit
They're amazing both in combat and out.

Read fucking Sneak Attack.

Dude, if you have advantage (as in this theoretical situation where you're getting the surprise round) you'll get the sneak attack damage. I fail to see why you be denied sneak attack.

OP here.
Yes, I did talk about assassinate shenangians.
No, I do not expect you to get a lot of autocrits out from it unless you are actively plotting or you can see enemies from a long distance away and eldritch blast them from a long distance away.

However, I've seen a guy with crazy initiative ALWAYS get advantage on their first turn as they always get somewhere ridiculously high. This means they don't have to worry about teammates or advantage to get sneak attack on their first turn.
However, there's a lot of players in the party so this becomes even more important, with the encounters being a bit shorter.
Assassin is great if you have very short encounters.
I think arcane trickster is better, but if your DM is the right sort of DM and you're in the right campaign assassin can work wonders given your sneak attack dice crit too.

Quote it.
Quote the exact thing I am violating.

Jah - find familiar is gr8. Chain lock options are pretty good too. I'd only played with an owl (which is an amazing option itself by the way) until I started playtesting the observer/moon presence patron out. Loving it so far - I just find it terribly entertaining when my little floating eyeball goes through a door and just *looks* at things (since it can't interact with anything for shit) before just floating on back.

Yeah assassin is pretty lame but at least Rogue is a good class on it's own.

KEEP. READING. SNEAK. ATTACK. YOU BLIND. FUCKER.

THE ATTACK MUST USE A FINESE OR A RANGED WEAPON.
Holy fuck you people are awful readers.

To be more specific, I want to play a character that has a abnormal intelligence and natural aptitude for magic, but squanders most of his talents unless it is "interesting" and by interesting, dangerous or like a mystery that seems impossible to solve and also likely has danger.

The kind of character who doesn't seem unfriendly or cold until you or someone near you come under the scrutiny of his interest and then you can see the layers of machination hiding the calculating and unfeeling truth below.

I feel like I'm not getting this across well and I don't want to fall into a lame edgy character which I'm sure is what this sounds like but I want to try to pull it off without seeming like edglelord 9000. To be fair, my party is consistently far more edgy.

Any advice?

>eldritch knight makes a melee weapon attack after casting a cantrip
>MELEE WEAPON ATTACK
>USE A RAPIER
>IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU USE STRENGTH OR DEXTERITY TO HIT WITH IT
>A RAPIER IS A FINESSE WEAPON
>you can now sneak attack after casting a cantrip

Advantage =/= Assassinate Reason.

Who cares about that? It's the auto-crits that matter.

I'd hate to say it, but not many GM's give a shit about surprise rounds. Rogue's on the weaker side if you choose assassin, with that logic