MTG Standard General

Zombois edition

Testing zombies right now. This is literally the most oppressive shit ever

>emerge mindbender out of haunted dead turn 5, Sac sanctum grab deep fiend
>upkeep tap opponents lands
>your turn Lilly minus grab mindbender, emerge from squid

I think a Bu control deck is solid right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-08-16-ur-visions/
channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-ur-goggles/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Damn, no one's talking Standard right now?
I really need help on how to deal with Lifelink. It completely destroys my chances at dealing that last hit.

Are you playing thermo? I've been testing it but haven't run into the life link situation.

The thing about burn decks are you can only deal so much with your cards before you get burnt out.

It's cause you either go bant coco like a faggot or go over the top with fucking eldrazi, like that sounds horrible just thinking about it. I can't wait til both rotate out come spring 2018.

Speaking of burn, anyone think Mono R Burn is going to be a thing again when Kaladesh launches? Thermo Alchemist and Bedlam Reveler seem like they'd slot into that deck well, and I'm hoping the new set brings enough cards to flesh out the rest of the deck's shell.

I've been putting together a tentative list that I plan to swap out a bunch of stuff with once Kaladesh rotates in.

So I was really digging the grixis control that oliver tiu played. Problem is, I can't throw out money for Jace, kalitas and the like. Is there a way to make it more budget?

Don't think it's going to be happening.

You're running a full playset of Incendiary Flow. A FULL PLAYSET.

The idea is to swap out for better stuff if anything shows up in Kaladesh. Admittedly though, this is a super-shitbrew.

But if you've got better suggestions for a Mono-R burn shell I'll take them.

Anyone have good videos/articles on how to optimize your play in MtG? I've been playing for quite awhile now and feel like I've hit a major wall in development. To the point that sometimes only power level can win me games.

Just lol at your opponent.

Every burn deck right now plays 4 flow. Exiles key cards and can just be a 2 mana bolt. It's fine.

Can someone give me tips on what to trade towards to improve this deck and what to change?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-08-16-ur-visions/

Obviously I'm trying to acquire more Fumaroles and a Shivan Reef. Geier's Reach Sanitarium might be good as well.

Curious Homunculus is in the sideboard because I'm not comfortable having him in the starting 60 due to maindeck Lilianas. Smash to Smithereens is there because I've seen people board in Orbs of Warding and that card just ruins this deck.

Thing in the ice is just not good enough

it does work online so if your an MTGO grinder then I suppose its fine but paper it has done no results. The visions lists are running 4 alchemist 4 stormchaser.

unsub is a bit overrated. If its performed for you keep it otherwise its just fluff.

It's on paper.

I suppose I could swap Titi for Stormchaser but the deck doesn't have any pump spells to fully take advantage of Stormchaser's prowess. Both of the creatures are really strong if in starting hand or if drawn early but generally loot with voice / wheel with defiance stuff if drawn later than turn 4.

Unsub has worked fine for me, it bounces Ormendahl and acts as a soft counterspell (useful in case of the more expensive planeswalkers).

I just fucking love the new Liliana, that card is amazing.

Best art in recent history by far, great 3 drop walker, amazing ult, good uptick.

Only wish her -2 would do more in B/W walkers, but I guess you can just run Brisela + Lancers, and have a light recursion effect.

Opinions about the Izzet manichegun deck from the GrandPrix? Seems good and I want something budget to play

Flow is fine.

It's basically a strictly better Lightning Strike

Leaving out Jaces makes it budget but also hurts deck's reliability

has a decent build, but needs a playset of fumaroles and reefs

Lightning Stirke is an instant though, and you generally want your burn to be instant speed as opposed to sorcery

>strictly better
>sorcery
AHAHAHAHAHAHA
Fuck off MaRo

You nees 4 Dark-Dwellers and kolaghans command to loop them.

Beyond that, Liliana is solid and not rotating, but admittedly not budget.

Maybe mainbaord Radiant Flames, Duress, and collective brutality?

Are there any good U/R shitbrews? I have a list where I'm running (from what I can remeber)
4 x Curious Homunculi
4 x Galvanic Blast
4 x Take Inventory
4 x Fiery Impulse
4 x Collective Defiance
4 x Pieces of the Puzzle
2 x Mercurial Geists
2 x Bedlam Reveler
2 x Kozi Return
2 x Gheistblast
2 x Brutal Expulsion

Some more counters I can't remember the name of and that enchantment that lets you cast spells from your yard with the same name of spells you cast.

What are some suggestions to make it better? I've been having trouble hitting my cratures when I need to win, but I really love casting pieces of the puzzle because it hits answers 70% of the time.

The dark dwellers and Kommand I can get no problem. I just wanted to know if there is budget options for kalitas, Jace (or will he drop once rotation), and maybe chandra. Although, maybe radiant flames can replace her.
Collective brutality is awesome though, I forgot that card even existed. How would more hand disruption be? Or is 2 enough plus the Kommand enough?

I would add the 4th Chandra before going below 3. You win most of your games through her and Fumarole.

Other ideas include mainboarding one Dragonmaster outcast and sticking 1-2 Obs in.

>Don't think it's going to be happening.

I really hope it does.

Kaladesh is themed more blue and red anyway, hopefully those colors can get some more good stuff while green, black and white who already have more than enough stuff going for them get to rest for a bit.

Actually I think the really relevant thing is the block after Kaladesh, NuZendikar Block was an abysmal point for burn, but there's a lot of good fuel for it in Shadows Block, if we can get enough tools to replace the ones from Dragons and Origins in Kaladesh and get anything at all from whatever comes after then I think burn has a real shot again.

Needs more Thermo Alchemist

So why are people saying that Galvanic Bombardment is worse than Fiery Impulse ?
I get that it is relatively harder to grow, but it keeps growing

Because you can only grow Galvanic by having cast another Galvanic, while Impulse grows off any of the other spells in your deck.

>Needs more Thermo Alchemist
Is it really that good? I couldn't manage to find a spot for it in my build and it seems like it has basically semi prowess (1 damage off each spell) but a weak body that can't beatdown on it's own.

Honestly I think fiery impulse is just better in most cases. Usually when you get to Garvanic doing 4 or 5 damage it doesn't really matter too much.

Most decks that want to be playing firey impulse have no problem putting 2 instants and sorceries in the grave fast and 3 damage is just a sweet spot.

Another problem with galvanic blast is that you are kinda forced to run 4 to get value but like you want to trim down to maybe 2 or something because its a sort of bad matchup for it post sideboard....well then you are just kinda playing a bad fiery impulse then.

Galvanics upside is potentially higher but firey impulse is just more consistent in hitting 3 damage which is what most decks want it to do

>Because you can only grow Galvanic by having cast another Galvanic, while Impulse grows off any of the other spells in your deck.
That's exactly why I said "relatively harder"

>Another problem with galvanic blast is that you are kinda forced to run 4 to get value but like you want to trim down to maybe 2 or something because its a sort of bad matchup for it post sideboard....well then you are just kinda playing a bad fiery impulse then.
That's a very good point, thanks

>Is it really that good?

It really is.

Blocks a lot of relevant stuff and it's ability is almost just strictly better than prowess since it doesn't actually need to be able to beat in past the enemy blockers.

Anyone got a good Orzhov control list with 4 maindeck transgress and no Gideon in the 75?

I'm absolutely shit at deckbuilding, but after testing various Orzhov control lists, I've found out that the Gideons just aren't that good, and you kinda want 4 transgress maindeck.

I'm not but I wanted to expand on his post with my own experience

>Usually when you get to Garvanic doing 4 or 5 damage it doesn't really matter too much.
This right here is the key issue. When you run Galvanic, you expect it to do 2 and maybe 3 damage. You don't run it and expect 4 and certainly you're not expecting to kill any Reality Smashers with it. You need to look at it as purely a 2 damage card that is sometimes 3, ignore the 4 and 5.

I still run it in my deck though along with 4 impulse, fuck weenies.

>after testing various Orzhov control lists
Just take one of those lists and take out the gideons, go 4 transgress and cut some fat to fit. Gideon really should be in the deck though, what else do you plan for a wincon in a B/W deck that probably has comparatively poor draw and ramp.

>It really is.
What should I cut to fit it?

>What should I cut to fit it?

Cut all the Galvanic Blasts and 1 of something else (my choice would be Curious Homunculus)

Put in 3 Thermo alchemists and 2 Exquisite Firecraft.

>I still run it in my deck though along with 4 impulse, fuck weenies.
Same as me

>What should I cut to fit it?
Gheistblast, Pieces of the Puzzle, Brutal Explosion

>Cut all the Galvanic Blasts and 1 of something else (my choice would be Curious Homunculus)
"No"
Although I have some number of cards in the deck that I didn't list, I forgot their names. I think it was some shit like Horribly Awry, the other eldrazi counterspell and an unsubstantiate or two

>Gheistblast, Pieces of the Puzzle
I'll probably cut those, I was honestly just fucking around with the Gheistblasts for fun, Brutal Expulsion has been good for me though.

Gheistblast is fun but too expensive, especially the first cast

Damn, a full set? I mean, if I have to
And the ob would be for his first two right? Or is his ult even doable/worth it?

It shoul have been R for a shock 2U for copy. Izzet in modern needed another bolt and copy is an under utilized design space.

Need some help, trying to build a Jeskai / Naya turbofog deck.

Since we get a howling mine that is also a wincon, and a good amount of fog effects, there should be a jank deck somewhere.

I doubt you need the full set of chamdras. I was making a point about how cutting her count would be a mistake. That being said, feel free to experiment.

Ob is truly underrated. In the midgame against creature decks he reads, "kill a creature, gain 2-4 life" since he'll usually get attacked after being dropped. Sometimes he -3, +1, -3 and gets a three for one. Sometimes you slam him against control decks he grinds out card advantage. I have ulted him exactly once over 3months of FNMs, and it was against humans in my Sultai shell.

Hmm maybe 3 chandras and 2 obs? I could dig it
I really want to run playsets of both duress and transgress the mind and possibly mainboard silumgar. Too janky?

8 Mainboard early game hand disruption is definitely too much.

Most decks nowadays just run the 4 Transgress and call it a day, but I'm a fan of like a 3/2 split of Duress/Transgress in the main to enable turn 1 plays. With Collective Brutality you can jumble that number up even more, but you have to remember than the discard mode of Brutality is super restrictive and only good for using if you know what's already in their hand or if they are a control deck.

I want to build an Arlin Kord werewolf deck. Is there a decent one floating around out there? How about mono-colorless eldrazi?

>Sideboard:

x4 Jaddi Offshoot
x3 Summary Dismissal
x3 Learn from the Past
x2 Traverse the Ulvenwald
x1 Pulse of Murasa
x1 Void Grafter
x1 Sphinx of the Final Word

It performed pretty well in a delirium/control/Emrakul heavy meta (hence the 6 S/B cards dedicated to those decks). Got 2nd last night at a pretty competitive FNM, going 3-0-1 drawing to G/B Delirium. The Noose Constrictors I feel either need to be put in the S/B or removed entirely, it was my worst performing card by far. I'm thinking of making Deathmist a full 4-of, and I'd like to try out switching Ulamog with Emrakul and picking up another Nissa. I think I'm also going to switch out the Traverses for something else, I can't activate delirium consistently enough. I'd really like Jaces but it's just not financially viable to pay $50 for two Jaces that will rotate in a month. Also Ulvenwald Hydra and Sight Beyond Sight completely overperformed for me.

Any input? Are the Noose Constrictors really a necessary evil to hedge against CoCo and Spirits? What are the best S/B options for CoCo and Big White?

Yea you're right. I just have a boner for picking out sweet cards early on. But the 3/2 split is a nice compromise for me. Maybe a one of for collective brutality

Lol someone's mad that they lost to those.
But no, I just play an aggressive RG Werewolf deck and realized I need Atarka's Command, blah.

Would a full mill/discard deck be viable? Startled Awake, Manic Scribe, not-quite-Remand, and Transgress the Mind to remove neo-Lily, Emrakul, and other such threats? Sounds viable to me, although you may need some tech to beat Delirium or you're just enabling them. This is Innistrad, there's probably something that can clear out graveyards.

Just go Tutelage + Visions + Days Undoing

>werewolf deck
>decent

sorry bro

I'm wondering if running a few Ingest cards just to speed up the process would be a good idea or not. It seems slow, but it might help finish something off.

>tfw wizards prints a 3-mana planeswalker whose + ability kills most of your creatures for almost free

h-haha i just have to have clash or negate or curve mausoleum boy into rattle boy into another spirit
maybe wotc will print a card that will make tapping out for lili on turn 3 a bad idea in kaladesh?

The only creatures its killing in standard are spirits. I really love the card and the card but its just average and will never see play outside of standard.

Why don't you play Always Watching?

More people need to play that. Its a reprint of an 800 dollar card and you can trigger madness multiple times for 3 mana.

Anyone have suggestions for a Red aggro deck versus BG delirium? Im playing the list off MTG Goldfish with 1 drops n burn, pretty generic/straight forward.

My big problems are Liliana, Kalitas, Grim Flayer, Advocate. Just the general combination of cheap removal and big butts.

what resources are good for a total noob? you niggas need a pastebin/OP

Also remember that sweet R/U goggles deck shortly after Shadows came out? channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-ur-goggles/ The team that made it originally used Avacyns Judgment and were play testing using Fall of the Titans as proxies. Then they came to the conclusion Fall was just better, as anytime they had an Avacyns judgment, they thought Fall would have been better in that situation. That deck had a ton of self discard too, so it's not like they couldn't madness the judgment. Have you tried Fall in your deck?

Also, why are you running that vessel? I thought it the red one was garbage.

I doubt it's worth it. Ingest was designed and developed for enabling processing. It at most exiles 1 card per time it hits a player (exiling 0 cards if the library is already empty or if it does no damage). If the ingester has additional utility then maybe.

You can't loop them indefinitely. The Dark-Dwellers exiles the command.

I wanna get into magic, should I just buy a deck off the internet or what?

Instead of playing with real cards, you can play with virtual cards on the internet via MTGO. IIRC Duels of the Planeswalkers is a computer game by WotC that is very similar to magic that is designed to teach players magic. My understanding is that some of the fine technical details in Duels, like how priority works, might be a little different but it's basically the same as MTG.

If you are playing limited, you don't need to bring a deck to the event. You acquire cards and build a deck on the spot. 4 times per year, LGSs host per-releases which are made with new players in mind. LGSs might also have a playtest deck so you can try out the game before you actually start buying cards and stuff. LGS's also have FNM every friday. Playing limited might be a bit demanding, so net decking (copying a deck from the internet) and playing with that would probably be easier if you aren't even familiar with how to play. FNM also does constructed stuff too.

If I used jargon you consider indecipherable please feel free to ask me to clarify, but be specific.

It's honestly more casual than competitive, but I whipped up a shitbrew built around molten vortex and Splendid Reclamation. I need to tweak it more, but throwing all those lands out, then dumping them back on the field for mad landfall / beefy advocates is really rewarding. I like to live on the edge.

I was hoping to see a Splendid Reclamation 'ramp' deck at the pro tour and was disappointed I haven't seen one. Not that molten vortex is an optimal way to get lands in the graveyard.

Well it functioned with fork in the road, magmatic insight, shit like that. Molten vortex helped burn shit that might kill my advocates.

I've played friendly games before, and played systems that are damn close to it, I just wanted to know the best way to go about getting cards and building a deck.

Care to upload the list?

Decide on what format you want to play and then think about what kind of playstyle you enjoy the most, from that we can probably recommend you a deck.

Generally you want to buy single cards from online sellers than buying booster packs or anything.

LGSs sell cards. There are also websites you can order from on line. I think SCG and channelfireball the are two most well known dedicated mtg online retailers. Pucatrade lets you trade cards you already have with a point system over the internet.

As for knowing what cards you need net deck and probably tune it a little towards your meta or make an original brew. People basically do Lets Plays with mtg decks (not that I've ever heard them called that with MTG), so you can look at popular decks being played and choose which one you like. You might also find videos of more obscure decks too.

I heard that standard is the cheapest format contracted format in the short run and modern is the cheapest in the long run (because modern is fairly stagnant, meaning you can use the same deck for years, and standard rotates).

Sure - I'm still seeing what it needs, so I've only built it out of what I got in paper at the moment. Suggestions for this shit brew welcome.

X4 Molten vortex
X4 Splendid Reclamation
X4 Magmatic Insight
X4 Incendiary Flow
X4 Fork in the Road
X4 Scythe Leopard
X1 Ulvenwald Hyrda
X2 Mina and Denn, Wildborn
X1 Retreat to Kazandu
X4 Sylvan Advocate
X1 Season's Past
X2 Wild-field Scarecrow
X1 Chandra fire of kaladesh
X2 Devour in flames
X2 Evolving Wilds
X2 Drownyard Temple
X1 Cinder Glade
X4 Timber Gorge
X6 Mountains
X7 Forests

Will probably cut the season's past for more lands - I have a foil one so I threw it in there for style points. It works pretty well if I get a molten vortex, sylvan advocate, and a shit ton of land in my opening hand.

Splashing Gitrog might be cool. It's a six drop and needs a single black. You are already running things that can tutor a 1 of swamp.

Never mind, it's a five drop. I still think it would be cool.

Yeah, I could probably get a swamp out easily enough, and the gitrog monster would let me get some nice card draw out of my land discard effects too (making magmatic insight a discard a land to draw three cards is pretty kickass)

probably nothing too serious, I'd like one that I could play friendlies with and maybe even win a game or two at the LGS and I'm not really sure, I've only ever played standard green decks and zombie decks. Any type of standard decks stand out as really good? I've already bought a standard elf deck off the internet at the recommendation of a friend.

Although my favorite playstyle is killing the other dudes monsters with spells that would power up my own monsters, if you've ever played Infinity Wars, the Verore are my favorite deck to play.

Crawling Sensation? The most tokens it gives you per turn is 1. But if you crack a wilds on your opponents turn or activate a Molten vortex you can be getting tokens on your opponents turns too.

Also tormenting voice can act as a more flexible magmatic insight at the expense of an additional mana.

Crawling sensation might work, but I worry that it won't fit in well - I'll give it a shot for a few games, see how it plays out.

You might like the modern deck skred red.

As for standard there's no decks that are coming to mind but the cards Borrowed Malevolence, Dromoka's Command, Collective Effort do.

>Kalitas
Exquisite Firecraft / Collective Defiance
>Grim Flayer
Shocks before he turns on delirium, same as Uncle Cletus after
>Advocate
Fiery Impulse (with spell mastery on) before he gets pumped, otherwise Impulse + 1 more burn spell (yeah, you're getting two for one'd there).

In game 2, you board in Lightning Axes (same if your opponent is playing advocates)

Liliana shuts down the mono-R aggro hard. If I saw an opponent playing Lili with that deck, I'd probably take out all the Gorgers (Abbots are fine since they cycle themselves). If you are running into a lot of planeswalkers in your LGS's meta, you might want to start running Devour in Flames instead of rending volleys / tears of valakuts

>tfw hardened scales / managorger hydra was in for one entire set

If you're fine with a casual deck for just 'fun' games, this probably fits your criteria for cheap.

12 Mountains
12 Forests
4 Satyr Hoplite
4 Hero of Leina Tower
4 Setessan Oathsworn
4 Mage-Ring Bully
4 Epic Confrontation
4 Fall of the Hammer
4 Labyrinth Champion
2 Clear Shot
2 Setessan Tactics
2 Centaur Battlemaster
2 Scab-Clan Giant

If I counted right that should be a 60 card list, not sure how budget it is but none of those cards I remember being outrageously expensive.
The synergy is that when you use your spells that target any of your creatures with heroic, they will get permanent stat boosts and all of your spells are removal that make your creature 'fight' with an opponent's creature.

It's a fun concept for a casual deck anyway.

I should add you can search all these cards up at gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
which is Wizard's official card database.

I checked out that deck, but I'm not interested in spending over $5 for one card m8

Shit out of luck for competitive magic then

>tfw finally got a job
>finally can buy not-budget decks
>work during fnm hours
Nothing looks fun right now anyways.

MTGO might be a good fit once fun stuff is around.

This
EMN is actually a prety good set, and magic is finally fun again.
Just get MTGO, and you can relax with magic after a hard day of work.

So I got three decks I'm considering for Game Day.
1: Green/black eldrazi spawners into Ulamog/Desolation Twin
2: Red/Blue surge
3: Mono White medics with Cleric of the Forward Order, Serene Steward, Relief Captain and Patron of the Valiant
Number 1 is perhaps the strongest, number 2 is perhaps the funniest to pilot, and number 3 is the jankiest. Can't decide what to build.

Wow you can pull plays off as soon as turn 5 in standard?!

So what are your hopes for Kaladesh lads

I'm hoping red gets some cheap monored effect that prevents lifegain, possibly stapled onto a shock

a surprise eldrazi invasion :)

Still working on that mill deck. My biggest worry is the load of green creatures with 3 toughness for 2 mana (plus Reflector Mage), because it means none of the -2/-2 effects in standard will work on them and evidently black isn't allowed cheap removal any more than red is allowed cheap burn. Ruinous Path works, but is basically Murder with planeswalker tacked on, and there aren't that many planeswalkers in standard; Reave Soul will be rotating soon, but at least it's cheap; Ob Nixilis is good, but takes far too long to get going; Languish is perfect if I need to wipe, but will be rotating soon and I'm on too much of a budget to pay $20 for

Play Bant CoCo instead

>Building a fairly expensive deck whose centerpiece is rotating out in a month

>whose centerpiece is rotating out in a month
And thank fucking god for that, but like really just don't try making anything fun until CoCo is gone

But that's boring, and I don't have the budget to get 4 copies of CoCo. I want to play mill because if Wizards is going to take away most of blue's tools, I'm going to play with what's left in protest. Also, is TitI worth running in this deck? There aren't really enough mill cards with

>>Building a fairly expensive deck whose centerpiece is rotating out in a month

What is going to replace CoCo ? UW Spirits ? GB Delirium ? UR Visions ?

>What is going to replace CoCo ?
The same decks, just without CoCo