Goodberry Pie: The Most Important Argument Ever

First time GM using 5e here.

This is completely pointless to the actual adventure I'm running, but the I've gotten in a heated argument with one of the players, and I want to know if I'm right beyond "I'm the GM so I say it works like this."

So, one of the PCs just had an introductory scene where she has passed the trails of becoming a cleric at her church and is given her holy symbol. Afterwards, she meets up with some of her friends and they're discussing where they'll be assigned to spread the love of the Blessed Mother.

Since PCs backstory is that she is an orphan, one of the NPC friends invites her over so they can make some goodberry pie to celebrate before they're shipped out. Just a meaningless throwaway line. We were going to timeskip immediately after to the party setting out on the quest.

However, the PCs player (who I will gall Gus), decided that goodberry pie was practically impossible to make.

His argument:
1. You'd need, like, a pound of berries for that. What, did NPC get an entire circle of druids to blow all their 1st level spell slots on goodberries just to make a pie?

2. Wouldn't that be extremely unhealthy, since a single goodberry is supposed to feed a person for an entire day?

3. They lose their effectiveness after 24 hours, you know, so the logistics of this are ridiculous.”

My rebuttal
1. One decent druid could cast goodberry 3-4 times. If we’re generous and say he rolled well, that could be 30-ish berries. If that’s still not enough, NPC could supplement the pie with other berries. Also, it’s entirely possible that NPC’s father is friends with a druid and called in a favor.

2. My interpretation of goodberry is that each berry is not 2000 calories. Eating one magically fulfills your bodily needs regardless of whatever else you might eat. You can eat as many as you want and not suffer any ill effects.

3. It takes less than 24 hours to bake a pie.

Other urls found in this thread:

d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/quintessence.htm
eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/goodberry-wine
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>"I'm the GM so I say it works like this."

This is already the wrongest thing ever.

Is that an argument for or against Rule Zero?

Using other berries is enough of an argument. Since all you need is one berry, the rest of the pie is fluffed up with other berries for flavor.

Wait, hold up.
You got into a heated argument over this? Like, yelling and all?
Over a throwaway joke?
The fuck is wrong with your group dynamic that THIS caused an argument? Was it the end of a really long session, and everyone was exhausted? Is this player normally the type to nitpick stupid shit for no reason?

Also, does it matter?

It wasn't a heated argument, he's just a very oldschool, RAW is LAW type.

This.

Also yeah, it takes less than 24 hours to make a pie so I don't see what would be so wrong with a goodberry pie.

Could be a fun bit of fluff.

>but the I've gotten in a heated argument with one of the players

wut

I was pointing out the inconsistency between
and the OP originally saying
>I've gotten in a heated argument

Other than that, I still think there's something inherently wrong with someone who can pretend to be playing the life and times of Medieval Fantasy Man and have a problem with a couple goodberries going into a pie.

Goodberry vine exist, why not a pie?

Eh?

Oh shit I missed that "heated argument" line

Just because one berry can *magically* sustain a creature for a day doesn't mean it literally contains the full amount of vitamins, minerals, and things you need.
Is this autism? I think that's autism. If not, just a ridiculous job of finding something to argue about.

>3. They lose their effectiveness after 24 hours, you know, so the logistics of this are ridiculous.”

Just get a psion to preserve the berries in some Quintessence.
d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/quintessence.htm

My bad, goodberry wine, not vine
eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/goodberry-wine

5e.

So? I'm playing 5e as well and I have bird people as a playable race and space wale warships. You don't need to always follow the book to the letter.

>Rule #0 is bad
Get out

It makes sense to me that goodberries could be added to other foodstuffs in order to be more substantial, flavorful, and enjoyable.

I can see a druid happily using goodberry to help the orphanage drop its food needs for a bit rather than force the town to over-hunt. But I can also see a spiritual leader out to feed some kids wanting to do something a little warmer and kinder than just having them line up and dosing them like it's medicine.

As far as the discussion goes, this isn't actually rule zero in that you aren't making a declaration about rules or systems. This is a setting discussion and its perfectly reasonable for you to write your own setting. If he wants to know more about the hows and whys of goodberry pies, he should be talking to druids IC instead of pissing and moaning OOC and demanding explanations or concessions about it.

How about this:
A big enough person could hold about three bananas in one hand, which biologically speaking are berries. Twelve bananas is more than enough to make a pie.
They made a healthy banana pie.

Or better yet, the goodberry is a garnish over a blackberry pie and the name is more of a cute nickname than a literal description.

>Also, it’s entirely possible that NPC’s father is friends with a druid and called in a favor.

As an aside, this is how I know you're a bad GM.

Wow... what a S-Rank cunt.

Also if "Because I'm the GM" is your final answer... you've failed as a GM.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahshaaaaaaahahahahahhaa

Kys Just

hhehehe sick burn senpai XD

Damn you OP now I want pie

>Damn you OP now I want pie
I actually scrolled all the way through this thread looking for more pictures of pie.

Now I'm disappointed that there wasn't any.

>Also yeah, it takes less than 24 hours to make a pie

Huh, so THAT'S what I was doing wrong...

Clearly they just meant a pie from pic related.