Do elves simply not understand the concept of a "Shield Wall"?

Do elves simply not understand the concept of a "Shield Wall"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk
youtube.com/watch?v=Lk92FXewMxk
youtube.com/watch?v=E64sIPJ9xWE
youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Must not.

They understand shield walls fine.
It's just they like to show up dwarves.

The people doing the hobbit movie weren't trying. They knew that people would buy tickets no matter what. It's not like there were any more LotR movies to be made (until the 2020s when someone aches for cash and cranks out a Silmarillion movie, or we get an edgy LotR reboot series), so they had no real incentive to make it good, and just did whatever seemed funny to them at the time.

That's the real reason why this nonsense is in there.

>The people doing the hobbit movie weren't trying .... they had no real incentive to make it good, and just did whatever seemed funny to them at the time.

Do you have a single fact to back that up, thats not why those films were bad at all.

Both of these. Fuck in the first LotR don't the elves have some kind of fancy shield wall shit?

Poor Peter

So, from what I can gather from the video:

>Limited time and planning, barely scraping by the day to day occasionally
>a change of directors partway through, which required all progress thus far to be essentially scrapped
>director is overworked, everyone's planning as they go with little prep or even ad-libbing
>the Battle itself had to be put off for a year

Honestly, it feels like they should've tried to plan it out more like the original trilogy. They were going for too much, too quickly, and a bunch of mistakes and changes along the way didn't help.

You will never ever get the Silmarillion, the owner Christopher Tolkein hates the films with a passion and regrets leasing the license.

Christopher Tolkien is 91, so in a few years it won't really matter what he thinks.

Yeah, they should have just made it a fun little adventure instead of TRILOGY OF MAXIMUM PROFIT

What I get out of this is that Peter Jackson refused to work with what they already had.

Two different directors are going to have different visions. It's like a game developer or a GM.

What I found especially lazy is that not only would the whole front line of Orcs going down to the Elf arrows being equally dramatic, but letting the Dwarves take the brunt of the fighting while the Elves fire shots from behind would have been absolutely in character for them, given the situation.

Of course they do.
1: put the elves who get a 1000:1 kill/death ratio in front of the wall
2: put the rest of the army behind the wall and watch the fucking slaughtermachines kill all the orcs.

It's pretty simple stuff.

There's tons of shit that is evidence that they really wanted to do the same shit they did with LotRs.

I don't think the problem was apathy, I think it was a shitload of other issues.

I still liked the movies. Didn't feel like it needed to be a trilogy though.

The first one was good. It felt like they were having a great adventure, like the fist LotR movie.

>"This is not why i became an Actor."

i felt sad for him.

Doesn't the estate own the liscense, and thanks to Disney laws basically control it into perpetuity?

That's part of it, but if Del Torro didn't have the kind of preproduction done that Jackson needed (or would have expected after 1.5 years), then the studio was fucking around and not hiring people. They can probably reuse some stuff from LotR, but it sounded like they had nothing beyond a script and some concept art hanging around when Jackson took over.

You would think elves would utilize shield walls even more than whatever the fuck they did because they value their own lives and longevity so much.

They would have formations that heavily focus on defense rather than offense.

Absolutely. Earning more money in a year than I will earn in a lifetime to critical acclaim and the adoration of the masses doing something that isn't damaging your health and knocking a decade+ off of your life expectancy must be so terribly disheartening.

Don't get me wrong, I love just about everything he has ever been in and I would rate him as one of the top 10 actors of the last 50 years and he seems in interviews and such to be genuinely nice man.

But holy fuck I am not going to feel sorry for him because "This sucks a little bit". Lugging 50kg sacks around for 10 hours in -25 Celsius and the tea kept on freezing in the cups before we could drink it sucks more than a bit but I sure as shit didn't complain that I had to do it.

Not against 3rd age orcs and from sylvan elves of the Mirkwood. Shieldwalls not good in trees. Irregular battles are there thing for multiple reasons. And they are still good with them. Shieldwalls in tunnels and the passes of hills and mountains, great for the dwarves. Would work so well. Sylvan elves fighting from the Mirkwood would be so different.

Now saxon style shieldwalls during the siege of Angbad from the Noldor, that would be appropriate. Holding the line against the hordes pouring out of Thangorodrim, yeah, shieldwalls for days. Literally I would think. Exhaustion felling more Noldor then actual tactics. Yeah, I could get behind that.

Maybe he's allergic to color green or something. I would imagine sitting in a studio and staring at green screen for 12 hours a day would be pretty bad for your health. And he's very old too.

sure thing grampa

Why bother with tactics when every individual in your army is equal to a thousand of the enemy?

Because people don't like dying. Even immortals.

Plus herding instinct. People will face far more danger when they have crowd of allies around them. Morale is far superior in groups, and tactics make groups useful for things other then running away.

But still, shieldwalls, not a thing for sylvan elves of the mirkwood. Irregular charge, very much a thing.

>Edgy LotR reboot series
Game of Elves when?

Do you think dwarves view tall dwarves like we view tall people?

Like, do you think dwarves see a 5 foot dwarf and think "god that guy's huge, he's awesome" or do you think they are actually thinking "get a load of this guy, over 4 feet tall what a freak lmao".

Shut the fuck up marine. Of course you complained you liar.

latter
>how do you even fit in a tunnel
>I bet his cock is too big to fit into any wench that aint a strumpet
>how's the ore prospecting up there?
>stand back we got a regular half-human here

[citation needed]

Hell, the Sylvan elves got their shit pushed in by regular orcs before, but that's mostly because unlike in the movies, in the books they don't wear heavy armor at all and are implied to bring crappy little hunting bows into the fray, which doesn't usually work so well.

That's simply a lie to save face. The biggest problem with the Hobbit movies was the script, not the production. The amount of CGI could be explained by time constraints and reworking, the pisspoor job at properly telling a kid's story fucking isn't l.

Personally I blame Jackson for being a pussy whipped faggot that couldn't say no to his wife and her attempts to modernize fucking Tolkien.

Not the same guy but I do that shit now you sanctimonious cunt

>can't keep your tea from freezing
>2016
sure thing friendo

More importantly, the studios had just come out of a titanic legal shitfight over the rights, and MGM was in desperate need of capital, so there would have been intense pressure from the bean counters to GET IT DONE LAST YEAR JESUS FUCK.

>big people bullying

I want to roll up a party full of dwarves and be the one human in the party that's just short, like 5'5 or so.

>"Ay get a look o' this lad, bet 'e couldn't even fit in the tunnels if 'e tried."
>"He think he's a real dwarf, bless me beard"
>"Do you even mine, lad?"

And all the while they don't know that he secretly just wants to be a dward, so over the course of the adventure he's growing a beard, working on his mining and smithing skills, chugging ale like it's nothing and starting fights with everybody taller than him, and over the course of the whole adventure the dwarves start to accept him as family.

And at the end of it, they go back home only for the dwarf politicians to be corrupt and try to sentence him to death for not being a true dwarf or some shit and the other dwarves start a fucking riot because "That's MY FUCKING LAD and I'll have your FUCKING head if you touch 'im."

>you will never be bullied by dwarves and later accepted as one of them

Why live.

Dubs confirmed for coolio.

>Why live.
We can't all be manlets user

They team up at Helm's Deep and pull some real shield wall stuff, actually doing pretty well until the wall got breached.

The whole battle, videogame physics included, was kinda lame.

I understand it looks awesome, but yeah, I wasn't convinced.

Tolkien wrote them better, but the movies get me the nagging feeling that the orcs deserved to win with good tactics and so on, but lost because they weren't meant to.

What is cold weather?

>Has never worked outside during winter

This.
Warner Bros are absolutely asinine with the rights to LotR.
>see Skyrim LotR cease and desist

Doesn't Cheistopher also really hate the LotR films too for some reason though

There's a lot missing. Like, a lot. I imagine Christopher Lee had issues with it because he was a huge fan of the books and knew Tolkien. The books just couldn't fit into a movie, or even three movies, but I can sympathize that he probably wanted to see it all adapted and not compressed.

Not him, but what is a fucking thermos?

Not the HOLLYWOOD ELVES who fight under the effects of HOLLYWOOD PHYSICS!

Insufficient.

A minimum of 5 proper sized brews a day are required to remain sufficiently British.

...Two thermoses?

there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with using CGI

it is going to make your film look dated, and it is going to lead to worse performances from all actors, since they will be responding to things that aren't actually there. Thats what is wrong with CGI.

If you are working with actors who still do a good job despite CGI you got lucky that they were able to pull it off, or that the people working the cgi compensated, or that the director knew to do a few more takes. But the lack of objects in meat space affects the performance in some way always.

And even if you are using top of the line CGI and you can afford to make it look [just as good] you are now going to have to worry that everyone working the cgi manages to catch all the mistakes, which is already hard enough to do in any movie, but now you have so many more because you have so many more things that will be made by people working day and night to create a location or a set piece, instead of scouting location or having meat space sets and props. Which of course will also have to be checked for mistakes or problems, like cars in the background or a loose flap on a prosthetic, but it is always considerably less to manage, leading to more time spent working on making sure it looks right.

Limited use of CGI can be amazing for a movie. but over reliance on it can be super dangerous to the movie and the industry as a whole as more and more bad CGI gets considered acceptable, instead of more studios using real props.

CGI is fine, but there ABSOLUTELY ARE PROBLEMS WITH CGI

>Do elves simply not understand the concept of a "Shield Wall"?
No, they don't.

Why do you think there aren't any elves around anymore?

Oohgie had a hard life

>until the 2020s when someone aches for cash and cranks out a Silmarillion movie

My dream is an animated series directed by Genndy Tartakovsky.

Human schoolchildren were worth a few hundred of those orcs, seriously.

The Tolkien estate has stated that they won't give WB the rights to the Silmarillion.

they get tea in the marines?

chances are he's in some kind of construction gig

The worst part about this is that they were right. Christopher Lee died, they wouldn't have been able to make it at all if they hadn't rushed.

>You will see a reboot/remake of Lord of the Rings in your life time.

reminder

You know what would be funny? Elves being conquered by the roman empire and being forced to man up.

you forgot
>shadow of mordor.

This genuinely pissed me off, I mean either it was for "cool factor" in which case it was retarded or elves just wanted to show up the dwarves? In which case its retarded still

Even later on when they are crazy outnumbered and they fall back to the mountain, I was thinking "aha they will go back to the small entrance and form a shield wall" they then stand at the entrance in a shield wall and thorin joins the fight and they all break formation and run forward? Fucking retarded

>his wife

Please elaborate

Maybe it was Royal Marines?

It's not that things sucked a little bit for him. It was literally different from just about everything he had ever done as an actor. He became an actor to interact with people, and now he was sitting in a fake room, pretending he was at a fake table, with blinking lights to represent when a few people brought in later with CGI were going to be speaking.

>25 celsius
>cold
>try living in 50 celsius every single winter, with 24 hour darkness and still regular work hours from 7 to 5

The point is more that whoever within the Tolkien estate takes over ownership of the Silmarillion copyright after Christopher Tolkien dies may not necessarily share his views. Unless Chris puts it explicitly in his will "absolutely no Silmarillion movies", it's anyone's guess what might happen after he kicks the bucket. And even if it is in his will, who's gonna bother enforcing that wish if the estate thinks they can milk it for more money?

Like this user said, CGI itself is not a problem, when used sparingly. But when a movie relies almost entirely on it like the Hobbit movies did, it creates loads of problems for everyone involved.

>inb4 more faggots choking on Pixar's dick. that's different.

>Do elves simply not understand the concept of a "Shield Wall"?
They don't. Elves are idiots.

:Posted by /Dwarf Dwarfsson.:

Compare
youtube.com/watch?v=Lk92FXewMxk
to
youtube.com/watch?v=E64sIPJ9xWE

holy shit i want this so much , dwarves are so cool

A...are those elves riding invisible pit ponies into battle?

50 celcius? Jesus that's warm. Why are you complaining about cold tea?

Oh fucking hell I caught so many fuckups in the battle of five armies this time. Good to see the Last Alliance was still pretty decent tho.

Elves don't understand walls period.
Have you seen those treehouses they build? They use so little wood the tree doesn't die, and the house would snap in half if you had particularly rough sex in it.

And the Dwarves are happy for the wall of dead bodies they'll form to disrupt the enemy formation before they hit the spears.

youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24

Either way, he complained.

I had not seen this before. I'll take that back about them not trying, That really makes it seem like the situation they were in was simply unworkable.

The fuck are you talking about

Saruman wasn't IN the hobbit to begin with. He was shoved in with the inflated 'necromancer' plot. They didn't NEED Lee. They could had just taken the Hobbit itself and made it a one movie, three act adventure, that's it.

It's being over used. That's the problem.

In commonwealth you sure as fuck do. Imagine telling a US Marine "Sorry, we don't have any coffee or cigarettes". Your ass would get lit up by everyone in earshot.

It was a terrible version of the "Hammer and Anvil" tactic.

Dwarf shield wall absorbs the charge, Elves jump in and slaughter.

Say what you want, Thranduil is fabulous.

I worked on these films. props, armour and costume, and the story I heard was peters wife kept adding bullshit to the scripts and peter, surrounded by spineless yes men, just let it happen. nobody had the stones to tell him "Pete. it's fucking shit bro."

What an autist.

He is. He is also one of very few good things about those sorry ass excuses for movies.
I hope you weren't anyone decisive or responsible for the designs, because I'd have to hate you with all my soul.

>So we have the dwarves forming a shieldwall/phalanx, creating a highly effective defensive formation
>We have swords, no shields and relatively light armor
>Should we go around the flanks? Move into a more strategic position while the dwarvs hold the enemy in position? Perhaps attempt to fill any gaps that might appear in the shieldwall?
>Nah, let's just fucking jump over the dwarves (causing them to potentially lose their footing), jump into the enemy and use the element of surprise
>Which might work on like, the first five guys
>After that they'll know we're here, and we're stuck between an enemy and pointy, dwarven sticks
>So either we all die, or the dwarves have to make room for us to leave, breaking up the spearwall and leaving them vulnerable

This is why you don't send an elf to do a man's job.

well the last alliance was pretty bullshit as well to be honest. gil-galad and isildur's father pretty much bitch slapped sauron into submission. sauron wasn't as strong as depicted in the movie.

>gil-galad and isildur's father pretty much bitch slapped sauron into submission
Is that why they both fucking died?

yup. got mortally wounded but still had sauron on his knees.

>>So either we all die, or the dwarves have to make room for us to leave, breaking up the spearwall and leaving them vulnerable

I see absolutely no problem with all the elves dying.

So, getting killed yourself to barely take out your opponent is what for you qualifies as "bitch slapping someone into submission".

That's a very curious way to put it.