Just watched Lord of War, a movie about international arms dealers

Just watched Lord of War, a movie about international arms dealers.

What system is good for playing arms dealers?

Riding around on cargo ships, catalouging extensive libraries of guns and munitions, selling to impoverished African countries...

I'm thinking maybe GURPS? Ops and Tactics? Shadowrun?

Other urls found in this thread:

pmulcahy.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Strike!

Nick Cage was great in this movie, by the way. I wanna see War Dogs this weekend.

Rogue Trader if you like it whacky and sci-fi.

GURPS, especially with Action, Tactical Shooting and similar stuff.

Ops and Tactics is somewhat autistic when it comes to gear, so it really depends.

Shadowrun is good when you are STEALING guns and hi-tech gear, not trading in it.

Personally, I would suggest GURPS Infinite Worlds mixed with Weapons and Tactical Shooting. So you can have fun without actually giving a single fuck about politics or using the same people to deliver weapons into conflicts normally apart by decades, if not centuries.

GURPS if you want to build your own setting and do a bunch of digging, Shadowrun if theirs works for you.

Hollowpoint.

>War Dogs
You mean Dogs of War?

I suggest reading the book too, even if it feels somewhat dated (it feels like set in early 50s, even if it's Not!Biafrian War)

Merc, either the FGU or GDW versions
Cyberpunk 2020, just drop the cyber

- Get him out of here! This whole country bought and paid for.
- You'll gonna have to buy it all over again

That scene was golden. The entire film was great, but the ending was fucking perfect. Why they are no longer making films like that? Domino was just a pale shadow of a merc film.

Nope, Wardogs is a new Jonah Hill movie.

That explains why I'm getting his fat ass over google while searching for based Chris Walken.

I've never actually used GURPS before, maybe this is when I'll give it a shot.

Neat, but I'm looking for more mainstream systems. My friends have only ever played Shadowrun and 5e, so I need to sell them on something popular. And free.

Stop shilling Strike!

Why does Veeky Forums keep shilling Strike!?

Everything is free when you've got Internet, friend.

>Dogs of War
This and Jagged Alliance are the reason why I'm playing tactic-heavy pen-and-paper games pretty much exclusively for past 15 years

>Looking for mainstream
>Treats GURPS as niche
>Playing D&D at all
Change your group

>hey Veeky Forums I just saw/played [thing], have no attention span or willpower, and my head is hollow, so I have a fleeting desire to experience an RPG like [thing]
>of course I guess that means I would have to GM, but after all this is just one of dozens of fads I run through every month and I really just made this thread out of a masturbatory urge to talk about [thing]
>by the way, I only play D&D

Please, at least it's not like last summer, where we had never-ending supply of Mad Max thread and all of them simply died out and disappeared forever once the movie was no longer in cinemas by mid September.

Any system, just ignore the parts that don't involve talking.

Ideally you want a system with a lot of different talking skills.

L5R, Shadowrun, WoD, Traveller, I'd be surprised if GURPS doesn't have a lot of talking skills.

I don't see any logic to sticking with "mainstream" systems.

"Mainstream" systems can be complicated as fuck or otherwise not robust enough to do what you want them to do.

Like, technically you could kitbash D&D to do what you want but Shadowrun could also work pretty easily. GURPS should work

You could run a kickass Unknown Armies game about arms smugglers.

Guy likes Strike!

I know for a while I would spam TRAVELEEEEEEEEEEER whenever someone mentioned sci-fi

Nah, those aren't good reasons to change your group. If anything those are good reasons to keep the group to open their minds.

As the other user said, Rogue Trader is made for that.
Since it's sci-fi, I guess you could graft the acquisition and commerce sytems to another game, like GURPS or Twilight 2000 (cold war era). They're relatively independant so it should be easy.
Rogue Trader combat isn't bad at all, but giving it a contemporary paint job is gonna be a bit of work.

If you decide to go with Twilight 2000, here's your catalogue : pmulcahy.com/

Were you here when Doom came out? It was a fucking invasion.

>Game about arms-dealing
>Weebero, Fantasy Cyberpunk and Goths United
Kill yourself

Not to say the threads wouldn't have happened without the movie, but I'd argue it was more that we collectively remembered how awesome that universe was and realized what a great RPG setting it could be. There was a reason to want to run a game in that setting beyond it being on people's minds at that moment. This thread reeks of "I saw thing, now everyone tell me how to do a campaign like thing because writing self-insert fanfiction is no longer in vogue." I mean, how would you run a campaign like that? What would the players even DO? It just isn't a concept that seems like a good fit for the medium.
Please tell me you stopped because you realized how annoying people like that are. Naming your systemfu without comment contributes about as much to the conversation as a smug anime girl or pepe

>Implying D&D drones can be opened to anything else than D&D
How deluded are you?

>It was a fucking invasion
But it died within three weeks. Mad Max posting stayed here for 4 fucking months, first as shilling, then as hype band-wagon.

Also, Twilight 2000 isn't best suited for handling arms-dealing. Good, but not exactly handy. It's more suitable for merc game, where it shines really, really bright.

user, Rogue Trader is a thing. And it's exactly about what OP wants to do, only in retarded setting.
Also, as I've already mentioned, GURPS Infinite Worlds is also a thing and a valid idea is to trade between different worlds, because that's literally how you get funding for your adventures.

>I mean, how would you run a campaign like that? What would the players even DO? It just isn't a concept that seems like a good fit for the medium.

"Worldwide, there are several small-scale conflicts currently happening in West Africa, Balkans, and the Phillipines. You've recently received a new shipment of Kalashnikovs, fragmentation grenades, and RPGs. There are enough to supply around 1000 soldiers. What do you want to do?"

>players decide to sell in Africa
>but instead of supplying one side, they're going to supply both
>party decides to assassinate important leader, inciting more conflict in the region and selling out their stock
>caught double-trading, need to dodge both warlords and interpol at the same time
>manage to lead interpol to the warlords, escaping in a stolen cargo jet

>players are arms dealers, so they wield the very best of their stock
>plenty of cash cash cash
>career criminal
>can fight pirates

I can think of many ways this can go right.

Cyberpunk 2020. Add Chromebooks 1 and 2, for good measure.

>illegal interdimentional arms trade adventures
Damn, I didn't realize how much I needed to run this. Arthur Rimbaud would be proud.

It's not illegal if you are doing it on behalf of Homeline
Because daily reminder - it's only evil if anyone else but Homeline is pulling interdimensional shit and wrecking chaos. They, as good guys, can do whatever they want.
And the only thing that makes them good guys is the fact they are called as such - every player knows that Homeline are in fact the villains of the setting, just like every other villain faction described.

>How deluded are you?
>Blanket statements about groups of players
>Might honestly believe for the sake of edginess
>Might just say shit because le mehmehs

/v/ plz leave

>/v/ plz leave
I guess this year summer no longer is calling itself summer, but instead /v/

Look, I'm currently running a campaign about a trader captain in Spelljammer. I could easily contrive a plot hook that would have him running weapons if I wanted. I might even do just that, come to think of it- I'm curious to see whether his character would accept the job. But I just don't see how you can build a good campaign around it. If I can't make the centerpiece of the campaign (hiding the weapons and avoiding detection) mechanically meaningful and interesting, then to me there's no point, and I can't think of way to do it that doesn't ultimately boil to either "roll to see how well you hid the weapons" or me deciding whether the weapons are well hidden enough- one has no strategy to it, and the other is completely arbitrary. If I handwave the actual smuggling, it's basically just Rogue Trader and there was no point in pretending it's anything else.

But maybe I'm just overthinking this.

>Summer
>The time when every board is flooded with kids
>/v/
>Board filled with kids and people with an emotional age of 15
I don't know, sounds right to me

>I am an unimaginative prick
>Which means if I can't handle or just grasp something, nobody can
Kill yourself

On one hand I want to help you.
On the other, you represent everything I hate with your "let's copy this cool thing I've just saw" mindset

Try GURPS, especially High Tech. Try Twilight 2000 for ideas about playing war in really, really shit area. Try Rogue Trader for basic concepts of how to be manipulative prick dealing with natives

It's very good.

World of Darkness: Mortals works
So does Shadowrun.

Btw OP, there is a very nice comic called Of Blood And Gold about two french soldiers deciding to become arms dealers in Morrocco in the '20s. It's really good, even if the art is a bit shaky at times, and it should provide a couple ideas for a campaign.

Fiasco

This would make an amazing board game

>players play arms dealers trading around the world
>random event cards like a war starting, a peace treaty being signed or increased blockades effects trade and sales
>other players try to out sell and ruin each other without being caught by the authorities

A Mad Max oneshot could be fun, if your players really want to kill gimps with high impact automotive violence. It would be shit for a campaign though.

>A Mad Max oneshot
Actually, not Mad Max per se, but this could work for Fallout or similar post-apo as a full campaign.

A really dark FATE conversion might work. As it is, there's a few talking skills, and it's easy to make more. Just add in a few houserules about money, like a financial stress track/consequences and it should go swimmingly.

Most players get into rpgs via D&D/pathfinder. Also, D&Drones sounds better than D&D drones.

Yeah, it's just that Mad Max doesn't have that much to do other than killing gimps, so it would gt boring after a few sessions, whereas Fallout has all kinds of weirdness you can get involved in, violently or diplomatically.

>Most players get into rpgs via D&D/pathfinder
It's not even true in States anymore.
It was true roughtly a decade ago, when 3,x was hyped into nauseatic level.

And before you go all autistic - there is a HUGE difference between "get into" and "most commonly played". Which you confused

First of all, nice lack of imagination.
Second, it was about hype-driven interest in Mad-Maxesque settings and games, which died as soon as the hype ended, not about Mad Max as setting in general