7th Sea

Is the 1st edition as much of a mess as I've heard? Because the 2nd is absolute garbadge.

Any alternatives to it, as in Rogue Trader on the high seas?

Other urls found in this thread:

el-vagos-7th-sea-campaign-converted-to-honor-intrigue.obsidianportal.com/wikis/main-page
wineandsavages.blogspot.com.es/2013/01/review-honor-intrigue.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First edition forces you to merely create your character as a swashbuckling hero at the start of his career, rather than an almighty sorcerer blademaster equal to all the setting's most powerful endgame bosses, so every discussion about it will inevitably devolve into people claiming it makes players useless. On another note, Exalted characters are pitifully useless cripples because they can't wipe the floor with Mask of Winters right off the bat.

>Is the 1st edition as much of a mess as I've heard?
Yes. Even speaking through nostalgia.
Needs lots of houseruling to work.
>Any alternatives to it, as in Rogue Trader on the high seas?
No, not that I've heard of.

The counterpoint to this, is that most of those house rules are freely shared, making it surprisingly easy to create 7th sea 1.5, if one where inclined to such.

Of course, not as easy as just buying a new book. But I'm tempted to do it anyway.

>Obligatory GURPS suggestion in 10... 9...

But in all seriousness, RQ6/Mythras could work, especially if you import older stuff. There's bound to be rules on ships somewhere in the BRP lineup.

Didn't Pirates of the Spanish Main have an RPG.

Just use Savage Worlds. It has rules for naval combat in the core book. Perfect for swashbuckling.

>Obligatory GURPS suggestion
Well, it did have a Swasbucklers supplement. More realistic than Errol Flynn, though.

There's even a 50 Fathoms setting book that focuses on caribbean and pirate stuff, so has more rules and support for such things.
It does have lots of fantasy (kraken men, birdmen, etc) in it, but it can just be ignored if that ain't yo bag.

honor + intrigue someone did the 7th conversion to that system.
el-vagos-7th-sea-campaign-converted-to-honor-intrigue.obsidianportal.com/wikis/main-page
And here a review:
wineandsavages.blogspot.com.es/2013/01/review-honor-intrigue.html

Where would one find this game for having a good look before buying?

Either of you have that collection of houserules? I'm looking at the book now, and I'm annoyed at how Panache isn't actually about style, but it's literally just the "Max this stat so you don't suck" attribute.

I've got two things saved from other anons. First of all, a bunch of house rules.

Second, expanded naval rules.

Glad to be of help.

Now, if only I could find that honour + intrigue

In a bizarro case of reverse chauvinism, I was always kind of sad that Theah has equal opportunities for women - because that would make a Thean equivalent of Julie D'Aubigny a lot less incredible than she was in real life.

The writers' solution for that conundrum has always been Vodacce. The rest of Theah is all for equality so female gamers don't feel marginalized or whatever, but Vodacce is super misogynistic so you can still have your obligatory "powerful woman setting out to bring down the system" type stories without feeling like a complete idiot. Case in point, literally the whole Sophia's Daughters conspiracy (at least until their godawful sourcebook came out).

The Thean D'Aubigny would just be Vodacce instead of Montaigne. Still not QUITE as incredible in real life, but fairly.

When in doubt, Vodacce.

By the time the Sophia's Daughters sourcebook came out, every single secret society had practically the same motivation. I mean, they all go about it a bit differently, and they all have vaguely interesting histories (minus SD's I guess) but it makes everything into a giant EVERYONE VERSUS SORCERY.

It was a bare majority of Secret Societies that were anti-Sorcery. Of the six main Societies that were detailed in the Secret Societies series of books it was 4 Anti-Sorcery (dK, R&C, Rilasciare, and SD) and 2 didn't care (Los Vagos and Invisible College).

For all the possible motivations and approaches that a secret society could have, 4/6 taking the same stance is not a great percentage.

Yes, and it's not bad at all, if you like Savage Worlds. It's fairly historical, and the fictional is from the constructible card game, which is fairly solid itself.

The only issue is that there's not much extra material for it. Still, it's pretty good, and I'd recommend it for anyone who's interested in a semi-historical fairly rules-lite Age of Sail RPG.