/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

Nippleguns edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamorka, necromunda, mordeheim).

>Places to get minis
pastebin.com/JwNuNm5y

>The Fledgling Trove
pastebin.com/7yfPLFNF

>Question of the Now:
Why is the 15mm sci-fi community obsessed with making dropships out of cheap toys despite their complete lack of utility in games?

Other urls found in this thread:

disneystore.co.uk/first-order-snowspeeder-die-cast-vehicle-star-wars-the-force-awakens--411034345300.html
mega.nz/#!PVMgmQxK!Re6pYbapzxfkwN_aC1WXmFKIcx2RP4iAaWncXiW5RMU
youtube.com/watch?v=PjKI_U9ENwU
youtube.com/watch?v=jsdawgd0azk&ab_channel=smultt
youtube.com/watch?v=FzA4Bk1ak6U
mediafire.com/folder/wvk6h22p0b830/7TV
thebest404pageever.com/swf/DancingColin.swf
brother-vinni.com/shop.htm#!/Nuclear-sandlot/c/5965003/offset=0&sort=normal
indiecade.com/games/selected/consentacle
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Why is the 15mm sci-fi community obsessed with making dropships out of cheap toys despite their complete lack of utility in games?
Rule of cool

So what are we being alternative about in our wargaming this weekend?

lucky quads confirmed

>not linking the old thread
Confirmed for GW shill.

>Why is the 15mm sci-fi community obsessed with making dropships out of cheap toys despite their complete lack of utility in games?
Terrain. Objectives. Deployment points. Scenarios, like "stop Abdul Goldberg stealing your bloody ship." Plus, drop a concrete patch and put a ship on it and your western town becomes the other kind of frontier outpost. Same with farms, bars, whatever.

Also works for X-COM.

Works in 28mm too, often with some of the same toys. They just become helo equivalents and small shuttles.

There's this one Star Wars TFA toy that's a perfect 28mm skimmer - two crew seats that fit 28mm seated figures and a gun up front with enough space to fit a standing gunner, or replace it with a proper gun because while the rest of the model is nice prepainted metal, the gun's flimsy plastic. It's like £10 from the Disney site - makes a great little patrol/response skimmer. Even comes with a little clear block to sit on as a flying base.

Sold out now, here, but disneystore.co.uk/first-order-snowspeeder-die-cast-vehicle-star-wars-the-force-awakens--411034345300.html

Neat little thing, glad I bought two.

Weren't there a lot of new manufactors of minis linked in the old thread? Pastebins updated?

And having a list of popular games (i.e. at least two-three autists itt playing) in the OP wouldn't be too much, would it?

I keep thinking I should buy these...

write a nice list and we can put it in the next op

List of games played... I wonder if such a thing could be done because it's really diverse.
I'm not sure I can even remember all the games I have played/am still capable of playing.

If anyone is interested, Wrath of Kings recently updated all their cards and rules, including cards for the models in the new book.

And before you ask, yes, Teknes is getting a female pigman with tig ol' bitties.

They'd make a good crew/gang/squad in most things, yeah.
Is there a good pulp game that Danger 5 would fit into?

The GMG guy has just announced his own game that looks set up for 4-7 models per side (plus zombies).
Having watched the vids, it doesn't grip me exactly, and gives the impression of having a fair bit of book-keeping, and I'm not sure I like the statcards, but I like a bunch of the mechanics (like noise and ammo).
The Aggressor and Defender thing in particular is pretty cool - both players do movement, then both players do shooting, but the player that won initiative picks to move first OR shoot first.

How are the Terminator Genisys resistance soldiers?

I am looking for sort of near future human soldiers.

Has anyone gotten a chance to play the Otherworld Skirmish game they made?

so I'm contemplating getting a copy or two of Sedition Wars for the minis as it's fairly cheap, anyone know what would be a good game to use them in, since I've heard that the actual Sedition Wars game is kinda garbage

am potentially contemplating Warpath/Deadzone, but other suggestions are welcome

Oh may...

Any one get the new Wrath of Kings stuff?

is kings of war good or are they in denial knowing there will be never be good mass fantasy battle game

Probably denial.

There's always The IX Age

I've honestly heard good things about Kings of War. The worst things I've heard is that it is a bit bland and vanilla, but considering how it's supposed to use any minis and make pretty much any army and is meant to be played on mass scales that's not necessarily such a big negative.

Give it a try, I guess.

Look at this sexy bitch.

Meh. I'd pass and just play Age of Sigmar.

not a huge fan of the head legs but the rest of em look really nice

God I love me some dark age, Im only a little salty forsaken feels nerved atm as they're the first to get rules tweaked (also Kukulkani did too and seem to retain their interesting things).

I too would like to know.

7TV is perfect for them.

I quite like it. Has all the strategy and depth of a rank n' file game without the bullshit that made WHFB battles so fucking tedious near the end of its life.

Totally solid set of rules, and I'm excited for the historical book coming out.

I haven't checked tbe updates out. How did Forsaken get nerfed?

I do jave to say that I like the Shadoe caste way more than Fire, but Ice is where it's at, baby.

bump

>How did Forsaken get nerfed?
some nerfed some buffed, biggest example is Warwind 100pts, lost an ap, lost his gun. They've lost all their "good" lieutenant type options. Kinda saint or bust I feel. Like its 3 ap across the board (kept 4 on saints), and more point blank guns rather than a gun and a sword. They feel too vanilla now, and way less interesting than they were. Especially when compared to the just rereleased Kukulkani.

(cont) I think they're trying to streamline especially points costs, everythings in 25 point increments now. And I would assume that the other factions will fall into line at some point, but I definitely feel the jump from Goon to saint is too big in forsaken. But hey I guess I get to use haniels with mary now.
(also medic is now 1 wound and free vp IMHO)

Haven't played it, but got the rules. There are a couple of things I don't like, but I'll try to play a game to see how it is in action, but generally I don't think it'll be my fantasy skirmish of choice.

Think you could give a brief overview of the rules? As long as its better than Frostgrave, that's all I care about. Do the rules feel vague? Are there routing rules?

Warpath, Deadzone, Infinity, Afterlife, One Page sthsth, Fast&Dirty, 40k, lots of possible areas. Basically any game that needs futuristic soldiers.

It's good. It's not Warhamster, so don't play like it. It's more tactical, but lacks the micromanagement of games where you purchase your models independently. Definitely recommended if you want a truly "mass battles" system.

Nope.

If you want to play Warhammer, then yes. I'm not entirely sure I want to.

>The worst things I've heard is that it is a bit bland and vanilla
It's only as bland and vanilla as you make it to be. Couple of guys in my club write a story about basically every battle we fight, and even tho my dorfs are doing pretty much nothing, it's fun.

>historical book
I hope the writers know their shit, and didn't fuck up with historical accuracy. 30 lists seems a lot, but in actuality, it's not that much.

A brief one...you get heroes, companions (lower-level heroes) and minions/monsters. There's no race differentiation for the first two, but you can fine-tune their stats for your tastes to make that warrior a dwarf, or that paladin an elf. You get 4 good and 4 evil, with the same number of companions. For minions, lots of them. Optionswise, it's a bit limited (you can only arm minions with equipment listed in their profile, so your elf dude can get a bow or get a bow), but you can houserule the shit out of it. There are not much spells, and your wizards can't cast too many in any game.

For activation, you get half the number of your warband's activation tokens, plus both players roll, the winner gets the number of tokens equal to the difference in roll, the loser gets half of it - you can use these tokens to get extra activations, bonus for dice, etc. I don't like that you can't activate all your guys in a turn, but I digress.

Can't remember routing, but overall, I'd definitely recommend it over Frostgrave (which was a bit too magic-centric for me, and the d20 made it too random), but wouldn't be my default fantasy skirmish. No campaign tho. I'll read another one, Rack&Ruin next week, it seems promising with fucktons of spells, races, character generation, skills, perks, etc.

And for good measure, here's Otherworld:
mega.nz/#!PVMgmQxK!Re6pYbapzxfkwN_aC1WXmFKIcx2RP4iAaWncXiW5RMU

>Afterlife, One Page sthsth, Fast&Dirty
never heard of these ones, mind telling me a little bit about these ones?

Guys, this is wholly unrelated to anything, but this is the thread
your mission, if you choose to accept it, is
to recommend me some music because I'm drunk off my ass
and I'll be damned if I'm letting 5 liters of franzia go to waste

Afterlife is the game of Anvil Industry, we're in the future, megacorporations left and right, Earth is ruined, Unity Council gets shit done, Republic doesn't like it, because too much rules, all-out war in the streets. The figures are great tho.

One Page rules are shortened versions of Warhammer, see their website for free rules.

Fast&Dirty is a squad-based scifi skirmish game, easy, can be played with basically any kind of figures, free from their website.

youtube.com/watch?v=PjKI_U9ENwU

I've been dodging this thread when it comes up because it says it doesn't deal with fantasy and all I play is frostgrave, but I see it listed in acceptable games. Is that just referring to warhammer fantasy?

youtube.com/watch?v=jsdawgd0azk&ab_channel=smultt

To keep it slightly related to wargames

YES
I wish you glory and honor
because this kicks ass even 3 minutes in
I need more
For the next
For I have many more job applications to fulfill
but even more wine to drink

Applications! For the application god!

What, I pray, is the best wargame? What say you!

So basically that roll at the beginning practically tells who's probably going to win the scenario right off the bat? That's pretty fucked.

>I'd definitely recommend it over Frostgrave
That is seriously saying something about the quality of this game to me.

Thanks for the overview, man.

>/hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy

Look a little closer next time. This is /awg/, /hwg/ is historicals.

>So basically that roll at the beginning practically tells who's probably going to win the scenario right off the bat?
No, it's a bonus for the round only. And no probs.

Am I the only one who wants tight rules not a narrative play?

how much of the 7tv stuff is out there to get from troves?

youtube.com/watch?v=FzA4Bk1ak6U

>Is there a good pulp game that Danger 5 would fit into?

There were a line of minis specifically produced for them by Crooked Dice, who do all the 7TV stuff

mediafire.com/folder/wvk6h22p0b830/7TV

>SAY WHAT AGAIN
Been on my recommendations before, friedno.

>recommend
no
>thebest404pageever.com/swf/DancingColin.swf

oh, does gumroad put any DRM or identifiers into their files? because the 7tv 2e free stuff and the free programme guides could be shoved into a folder as a seed thing for a 7tv 2e thing

What minis/rules would be good for a sort of X-com style wargame?

Does anybody even make Greys other than the Mars Attacks stuff?

ah okay, most likely I'll probably be using these for Warpath/Deadzone(since that's the non Games Workshop game I'd most likely be able to find anyone to play with), figure I might as well also ask, what lines from other companies would mesh well with the two groups that come with Sedition Wars?

The future Mantic Corp troops will be pretty compatible I'd say. Also, check Antenocities, and maybe Hasslefree too.

Sounds cool, and thanks for the pdf
oh nice they added 7th voyage.

What are these guys from?

I figured Mantic stuff would fit in(and indeed a big part of why I'm planning on getting this is that the enemy faction in Sedition Wars will make for good standins for the Plague until Mantic starts properly stocking them again)

as for the other two companies, neat stuff, although not too sure about ordering stuff from UK companies, got any American companies that have good stuff too besides Mantic?

Don't know about minis, but I'd definitely recommend THW's (either) Chain Reaction 3 or 5150 for the rules.

Sedition wars makes me very sad.

>not too sure about ordering stuff from UK companies
I have no idea m8, I live in Hungary, and ordering from the UK is much cheaper for me than to order from the US.

I will look into it, thanks.

>reaction

aren't there american online retailers with uk minis?

Man, I wish I could find that "Talk the talk or Walk the walk." intro story for the Chain Reaction.

It was (IMHO) the best (& funniest) description of game mechanics (in a short story) I ever read.

15mm.co.uk have them in, well, 15mm.

They've also got big Day the Earth Stood Still style robots to go with em.

Its a shame, this thread gives me so many wonderful ideas that I don't have the time, space or players for.

Same here. I keep seeing stuff like what you've posted or All Quiet on the Martian Front and thinking "That'd be fantastic!"
And then realizing I have no more space for minis, and no friends who would be interested in buying/painting a completely different scale and system.

Everyone needs their own dumpster fire.

Nobleknight is the retailer for 15mm.co.uk's Ion Age at the very least. They may carry the other lines.

Its actually beyond me why the US has no store like battlefield berlin which sells probably every miniature in existence. And if they don't have what you want, ask and they order it for you.

There has to be some kind of online shop like this in america.

the crushing disappointment that is reality is having to deal with finite time, space, finances and shitty playing groups who don't share your exact interests a big part of any hobby I've found.
On several occasions I've ended up stopping pretty much all wargames stuff for several months in a row at a time due to the above.

Anyone knows of a nice place or list of places to source fallout new vegas in 15mm? Thinking of starting "This is not a test" and need some cheap minis.

In 15mm?

I know there are some 28mm Fallout minis by Brother Vinni

brother-vinni.com/shop.htm#!/Nuclear-sandlot/c/5965003/offset=0&sort=normal

My target is to spend 10bux tops for each warband, Ruskie Vinny unfortunately makes it impossible.

I adore Aeronef. Sometimes. The rules aren't great - need to check out Imperial Skies when it comes out - but the ships are rad, especially the ones where you can see a design aesthetic going on across a fleet.

The new merchants are pretty cool.

>And then realizing I have no more space for minis, and no friends who would be interested in buying/painting a completely different scale and system.
Unfortunately, the best option is to pick a scale, system and setting, then build a complete set for it. Two opposing forces, some terrain. Invite other people to play. If they get into it and want to buy in, great!

If not, persuade them (somehow) to do the same for another type of game.

You end up with a bunch of people who can put on games for a bunch of topics, some of which have other people who can support them. Better than nothing or a monoculture.

General post-apoc, not fallout-specific: khurasan may be a dick but he's got a good line of minis.

Rebel Minis have some stuff and are cool.

GZG have _some_ stuff that can be used - they're notable for having 15mm horse-mounted scouts in one of their SF ranges, and they have some aliens that look good as mutants (or orks).

Massive Darkness looks fun to paint but way too expensive just as a painting project. It's a shame kickstarter projects are so expensive. There's some nice models attached to board games but all the extra junk makes them too expensive to invest in.

Khurasan has some suitable ones, imo.

Copplestone makes greys and a few other smaller business make them as well. Searching for 28mm aliens, greys etc should turn them up.

Any idea how long it will be until Mantic releases corporation troopers again? I quite liked the look of them but never got round to buying any.

Their old restic ones are discontinued, the newer ones will be sent for KS backers Q1, next year, and Q2 next year for retail, probably.

Probably for the best, I have too many projects anyway.

I'm really hoping they look good, I missed out on the old Mantic corporate sets and I'm hoping the new ones will be just as good.

That said I also can't wait to grab some Mars Attacks stuff too, I love how the Martians came out.

They look like this

>7TV
I'm amazed I've never heard of this.
Is it any good?

it's alright, the 2nd edition which is much, much improved over the first (though still really in need of some polish on the mechanics and consistency) is free so you can just check it out.

It's certainly got a lot of flavour to it, unlike many skirmish games. But you've probably also got to have appreciate for old british tv to really get into it, and be willing to modify far more than what the game lets you within the system itself.

So I recently discovered the (sadly now OOP) Stargate SG-1 miniatures, and was considering picking some up as I'm a fan of the show. Does anyone know if there's a ruleset for a game, or, failing that, a ruleset that could fit?

Tomorrow's War, the sci-fi version of Force on Force.

Either TW or one of the Force on Force supplements actually stats out SG-1 and some Goa'uld soldiers, but it wouldn't be hard to do from scratch either (Quality d12, TL2 SG-1 vs Quality 8 / 10, TL3 enemies).

Counterpoint to TW (because TW is ...not an easy game to get into at all): No Stars In Sight.

Basically as TW is to FoF, NSIS is to No End In Sight. And it's a massively easier to read/use system to boot.

Clash On the Fringe might be better for more character-orientated fightan though. Not too sure.

frpgames is pretty much the only one left, the markets been rough for quite some time. Everyone else sells what sells

is there a hentai skirmish game?

The only one of those I've heard of is Force on Force, and even then only because I looked at modern 28mm.
What are the systems like? How do they play compared to the more popular games?

anyone here try Horizon Wars yet, it sounds interesting

also if anyone has a copy to share that'd be really nice

What else do you think about dark age? I'm just getting into it and the faction i bought was forsaken. are you saying that only the saints are good? also I'm thinking about trying core or outcasts next. any opinions on them?

SodaPop did produce a short-lived Tentacle Bento card game, which involved miniatures of a number of characters. But Soccer Moms complained and now we don't have that.

Of course, there's a Consentacle Card Game in the works currently. It's actually strangely fun and has neat mechanics from what playtesters have said, as well as being pretty sex-positive with themes of mutual satisfaction and consent. It's not currently available, but the designers are still working on several extra aspects that need refinement, and it's super indie so it'll take a while.

You can read more about it yourself if you're interested:
indiecade.com/games/selected/consentacle

Core are cool, Outcasts have more options with lists now. I love the Salt Flat Nomads myself.

Why don't we have a dark age general? It's really a really, really good game nowadays. Most of the new models are top notch, and the play is fast, fun without being exhausting. Plus all the character in the different units and factions.