Exalted General - /exg/

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release:
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf
>Backer Charm Book:
mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies:
mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

>Resources for Previous Editions:
pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

>Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f55CqLc6IR0
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dYENcs5HYnODXX-6CrbzBycMVp8F04nM-y_iyd_utEM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Glimmer Steel (Silken Armor, Artifact *****)

>Glimmer Steel is a set of extremely elaborate and opulent clothes that even an elder Solar Exalted of the First Age would be pleased with. Glimmer Steel is colored with varying shades of grey, highlighted with deep violet and veins of gold, and tastefully embroidered with designs bringing to mind elemental essences. Light dances along the embroidered designs, making them seem to move across the fabric on their own.

>Close inspection reveals that the gold tracing through Glimmer Steel is not actually gold, but orichalcum. The orichalcum is fine wires, hair thin, and braided into thicker threads. The placement of the orichalcum allows it reinforce the clothing against blows, offering more protection than most mundane armors.

>The embroidered designs are not mere decoration either, being fine wires of all colors of jade. Black jade rivers flow through white jade hills, red jade fires dance through green jade forests, and all beneath blue jade clouds. All these jade wires also reinforce the armor's strength while maintaining its flexibility and lightness.

>Only Solars may attune to Glimmer Steel, due to the abundance of orichalcum present. Any Solar who does attune to it finds that Glimmer Steel has increased soak and hardness, equivalent to Medium Artifact Armor, but it retains all the other statistics of Light Artifact Armor, and does not count as armor for the purpose of Martial Arts styles that cannot be used with armor.

What do you all think about it?

Looks good to me. I've not looked through the book in a while; is this something that you made or something from the book? Regardless, I'm using it.

Something I made.

I did make a change after someone elsewhere pointed it out: Anyone can attune to any material, not just their own MM. So I altered this so that if anyone other than a Solar attunes to it, it does not get the Soak/Hardness boost and functions as regular Silken Armor.

>Only Solars may attune to Glimmer Steel, due to the abundance of orichalcum present.
I'm pretty sure that's not a very common thing, especially if it also has a large amount of Jade, but I guess that's mostly academic since you'll use it in Solar games.

From a mechanical point of view, I guess the increased protection should come with a slightly increased attunement cost and a five dot artifact with such non-flashy powers is a bit boring.

Yep, I already altered that line. It functions for anyone, but only Solars get the boosted soak and hardness.

As for the lack of an increased attunement, I consider that part of the boost in cost. 5 Merits points at chargen is a healthy investment, after all.

Funniest thing is that this will be used by a starting non-combatant. His melee pool is 4. :P

I personally don't really agree with the "More dots means better numbers" artifact design philosophy, but I don't see it breaking anything.

I am considering giving it the attunement of medium armor, which is just a point more.

Honestly this is just the sort of thing non-coms would use a lot. It has all the protection of armor with none of the attention- just what a quiet character who nonetheless is surrounded by combat would need.

Could a nation in the north field some sort of hoplites? How is warfare in the north, really?

The North is cold.

Hoplites would come from the South or East.

What about Hoplites makes them unusable in a cold climate?

Just the general Greek aesthetic.

What would you call soldiers with similar equipment, training and tactics as hoplites but warmer clothes?

If your army in the North isn't Nordic Barbarians, you're doing it wrong.

Hopheavy

Gloriously experianced with tongues that touched summer anons did you had any successful campaigns in the West? Please share some ideas about it.

Warfare in the north is very much at the whims of the season and the weather. There's a reason why the North's war gods include a god of winter.

youtube.com/watch?v=f55CqLc6IR0

Has anyone made a Mortal NPC that can outdrink a Solar?

sure. just make a mortal good at drinking and a solar who isn't. exalts without charms and excellencies are just mortals.

Didn't they remove excellencies in3rd?

You get ten free excellencies, the other fifteen you get automatically when you purchase a Charm in that ability.

More specifically, you get the Excellency in your Caste/Favored abilities for having 1 dot in it. You get the Excellency in any other ability when you purchase your first Charm for that ability.

Doesn't that lead to people getting very spread charmsets?

not really, no

Between that and Essence 1 Charms being bumped up in overall usefulness, it's incentivized, but you're also still pretty fucking rewarded for going deep into your specialty, so it more or less balances out.

The OPP forums experimented with a character that has all 25 Excellencies and ended up with a not-completely-useless generalist, iirc.

>all 25 Excellencies

Are Deathlords on the level of second or third circle demons?

In terms of raw personal prowess I'd probably put them at 2.5 like Octavian is, but in terms of influence and political power, they're a match for Third Circles easy.

3E Deathlords seem to be 3rd Circle level or higher.

Hold up, hold up.

Stats of medium armor, but counts as no armor? That's a two-category jump, son. Even at Artifact 5 that's a no. If you want shenanigans, invest in Resistance like you're supposed to, or get silken light armor at Artifact 4 (the only acceptable form), scale it up to 5 so it doesn't count as armor for ANY effect (the absolute upper tier you should be going to), buy up the soak mutation, and take Invulnerable Skin of Bronze as your control spell and never cast it.

Or master Dreaming Pearl Courtesan - free light armor, medium when you go crazy! Or use a style that doesn't require light or lesser armor. Or don't be a martial artist.

But fuck off with that "here's my advanced no-penalties soak that also doesn't count as armor that's balanced right" shit.

Seconded.

I sure hope Deathlords don't have retarded shit like "I have all the Solar charms and can cast Solar sorceries despite being a ghost that doesn't have any Exaltation whatsoever at all because I'm fucking dead, come at me :^) " this time around.

Is there a list of effects that generate in-combat Join Battle rolls, for the purpose of combining with effects that trigger on JB (like Thrown)?

I know there's one in Stealth and I think in Dreaming Pearl Courtesan as well, and of course Single Point's famous JB-throw-throw-JB-throw-throw-Blinding Nova Flare triple decisive.

But I want a list, for many and multivarious purposes.

First of all, tard, it is silken armor. Second, it's been bumped up in cost, and has an additional attunement cost for the extra soak and hardness.

>Second, it's been bumped up in cost
biggest non-argument ever. A five dot daiklave doesn't suddenly get light weapon accuracy and heavy weapon damage, either

Oh, jesus, one of these guys. Sure, buddy, I'm the tard.

I saw that it's fluffed as silken armor; that's irrelevant. It isn't. What it actually is is full-strength medium armor with no penalties to mobility, stealth, or Evasion - the balancing factor of medium armor - that combines with every martial art - a balancing factor for martial artists.

Broken as hell. There are a fucking TON of totally legitimate ways to boost your soak into the stratosphere - all of which assume you have the common fucking decency to invest a little. If you want soak, pay for it. If you don't want soak, fine! Dodge, Stealth, Melee's defensive tree, and any ranged offensive tree - together or separately - will cover you.

"I don't want to invest anything except background dots, where's my huge-ass soak boost" isn't valid design space. Doesn't matter if it's five dots or N/A or you spend every single Evocation in the tree on achieving the effect, "medium armor with no penalties that isn't armor" isn't acceptable.

Instead, consider scrapping the concept and just living with silken armor.

Devs have stated they won't.

5 points of merits = not paying for it.

Whatever.

Merit dots are dirt-cheap, dude.

All that bitching about 'oh it combines with this and that!' is true of silken armor, a 4 dot artifact. The fact that this one costs two more in attunement(putting it at the cost of heavy armor) for +3 soak and +3 hardness is apparently so completely game-breaking when worn by a non-combatant that there is no justification.

For fuck's sake, I bet you have a bitch fit when ever you look at the artifacts with evocations in the book. Did you know Freedom's Cadence doesn't count as armor for anything when it's additional attunement cost is paid?

I agree with the point that it's overpowered, but someone said it was 2 steps up and no extra cost, that guy was just saying that it's 1 step up for 3xp/1bp. No need for the shitfit and arguing.

That's not how artifacts work. Listen, why are you even here if people telling you your shit is broken is just ignored?

Because those people are just bitching about one part and not looking at the entire thing.

what entire thing? Cheating on soak is the entire identity of that artifact.

I'm done arguing with a troll.

Nothing about that post was trolling.

Those guys slamming that artifact are right you know. I'd reject it too if you were in a game I was running.

>Someone gives legitimate, if abrasive criticism
>Call them a troll

Looking things over, I'm pretty sure you didn't want advice at all.

You wanted people to tongue your nuts and tell you how good you were at making artifacts, and maybe give tiny, insignificant complaints that you could fix up to show how good you are at listening to others.

Ask on Onyx Path Forums next time, I'm sure they'd be happy to accommodate you.

I'm fairly sure Onyx Path would tell him the same thing, just politer

Third with the massive asterisk of 'when engaging people in their chosen arena'
Liger vs first and forsaken lion would be a pretty fair fight, lifer vs lover would be totally one sided.

Erembour would beat the shit out of the First and Forsaken Lion in a sex duel. But it might be hard to decide who "won" if she and the Lover had a sex duel.

How would you go about creating armor that creates an illusion of being slutty in apperance?

>illusion

Why not just wear some slutty panty armor or something?

Yeah.
Also wasn't there some golden lamp district girl in compass malfeas? I imagine she would do pretty well.

...you can't buy artifacts after game start.

Any GM who approves this as starting gear is an idiot getting what they deserve.

Ipithymia, Malfeas' Lust Soul - she's a loli rule 63 version of the Unconquered Sun.

I would buy a bunch of Resistance Charms and dress like a slut.

Loli oppai

It's called a teenager user, you might have heard of them.

>teenager

13 maybe.

Nigga fuck off with that pedo shit.

Anyways, how many of you have actually played a game as heroic mortals before becoming Exalted? How'd that work out?

Back in 2e, I had a game to that effect. Went pretty well, overall; I was one of the few party members that wasn't enlightened before Exaltation, so it was a huge change to see the character go from struggling to win a fight against two Demons to stomping the remaining 6 effortlessly.

Near North is northern europe, not eskimo vikings. Near North West could be Britain or France. Did they have hoplites?

What's more entertaining -

A tiger-themed (possibly with a big animate tiger helmet in the style of King from Tekken) stylist who goes around being lazy, yawning impressively, seducing Immaculate initiates, and for his combat gimmick chains Terrifying Battle Shriek -> decisive Kiai -> Tiger Form to scream into people's faces, force them to disengage, and then switch reflexively into a form that takes their Initiative for disengaging, stops the disengage with a bonus to oppose, and sets him up for Striking Fury Claws immediately afterwards...

A Black Claw and Thrown stylist (fuck Open Palm Caress, by the way) driven mad via Scarred by Nightmares - infected by the gossamer of the manticore king whose blood she inadvertently drank, she lives halfway within an eternal hallucination of stalking lesser horrors and foolhardy heroes through a Wyld jungle, kills your friends with a hail of spines and grows fuckoff giant claws in the first round of combat, and because she offloads all moral responsibility into her madness you can't strike through her puppydog eyes...

A guy who became a hero for fun but immediately regretted it, and now spends his time just going about his business while wishing to be left alone. Unfortunately his business is mostly stealing priceless treasures, artifacts, and kisses from kings' daughters - the kind of stuff he assumed heroes just got handed to them and has now decided to do the handing himself. He accomplishes this by taking advantage of the fact that you can flurry full defences with social influence and Silver-Voiced Nightingale Style Simple influences can be flurried, alongside Crane, to just beat the absolute shit out of everything that comes near him while simultaneously sending it scurrying away by dint of his heroic presence, rendering him largely untouchable as he wanders through forbidden gardens and ancient temples in his quest for ever-more bling...

...or pic related, a wrackstaff-wielding White Reaper with a Wings Evocation?

>But it might be hard to decide who "won" if she and the Lover had a sex duel.
If Erembour doesn't regret it, the Lover lost. The Lover's not just about sex or pleasure or desire, after all, but about excess leading to emptiness and despair.

I was thinking of it being for my elite soldiers rather than myself

You said the least about White Reaper stylist but the image is good and interesting (wracking people with your broom, sweeping hordes of enemies like dust under the rug) so I would choose that. Alternatively first.

So remind me, how many years passed between the Great Contagion and the return of the solars? I'm writing up some history for a location that's been around for a long time, but I don't know if setting them up before the start of the Great Contagion is stretching it or not.

The great contagion was just before the crusade, and the crusade terminated with her redness. Her redness coming into power marks the 0 of the calendar, and we are in 768 (IIRC). So approx 800 years.

The official "end" to the Great Contagion is considered to be the year of ascension of the Scarlet Empress - so, ~768, if I remember correctly.

Southern France had a greek colony, so probably.

>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dYENcs5HYnODXX-6CrbzBycMVp8F04nM-y_iyd_utEM

Here's an initiative tracker made for online games. Goes from -30 to 30, also has quick reference slots for the combat stats of combatants.

how does it work

Enter the stats for each combatant, and assign them a number. Plug that number into the cells at the top to represent their initiative. Move their number as needed.

Probably smart to keep the circle's stats permanently, maybe even assign them letters instead of numbers.

Huh, alright then. I'm planning for the kingdom to have been a former power in the East before the Great Contagion struck, reducing it to a tiny fiefdom in the Hundred Kingdoms. Originally, it was an area ruled by a Solar in the first age and his dragonblooded kids (he had a thing with a couple dragonblooded women), and they still worship him today as the Golden Emperor, not knowing who or what he really was. Said solar helped kills Primordial during the primordial war, in the area now called the Black Chase.

Speaking of the Black Chase, does anyone know any existing lore concerning that shadowlands? Moreover, does anyone know what the Soulsteel Manse marked on the map inside it is? Just a normal abyssal-aspect manse, or something bigger?

Anyone have some interesting ideas for odd little gods of the north?
I am working on a pantheon of sorts but aside from two goddesses I can't really seem to think of anything that is well... Odd/situational but still useful for people to pray to and keep around.

Or just interesting gods/purviews in general.
Exalted is a weird game with a confusing celestial bureaucracy. Like... anything could have a god behind it.

God of Dry Clothes is insanely important in the north, since a soggy coat can be the difference between life and death

Exacting Geometry is the Resplendent Arbitor of Glittering Form, basically an overseer of snowflakes, especially for their uniqueness. Through some clever religious maneuvering, he has become on of the gods a number of people call upon in snowstorm or bad weather in general, despite having no actual power over these phenomena.

ExalTwitch is starting soon, if you guys are interested.

business idea: kill yourself faggot

By a bit of other political manoeuvring and some really clever corruption, he has become something of a patron for people who wants desperately to stand out from their peers. In this form he is routinely called by his other name, Unusual Snowdrop.

I once made a snowflake god that thought of himself as a skilled warrior; each individual snowflake was a little warrior, working together to take down their foe. He just happened to be the biggest.

The first, but also favor Ride and ride an actual tiger while using Tiger Style.

Or as others call it, Special Snowflake

Yes, that was the joke. Congratulations.

How do you prepare a favorable environment for a battle against the Wyld Hunt? Urban environment, 2.5 ed.

Fill it full of bound demons.

The big thing is to undo their advantages.

You want to get the Hunt into a small, confined space where they can't spread the circle out and harass you with archers or sacrificial squads of mortals.

You want them in an environment they didn't get a chance to pre-prepare, so you'll be on the offense, never defense.

Though desu unless your GM is just giving them custom Charms outright, 2.5e Solars will mop the floor with twice their number of 2.5e DBs without even really trying, so whatever.

Iron caltrops

We're only essence 3, they don't seem to be, and they are much better equipped than we are.

Also, we were discussing getting them into an open space. They won't be bringing their mortal soldiers into the city, and they fight with swords and claws. One guy has chakrams. We use a mix of melee and archery.

I have a quandry form a game I'm in:
The ST had our group meet with a pwoerful Elemental Court in the South, and surprise, the head of it is protected/sleeping with a powerful Night caste. The ST( and I, because I help come p with the plot, as our ST is more mechanically inclined) never intended this to be a recruitable character, btu fro her to probably show back up later depending on soem other stuff. But the other players all decided to insist on trying to recruit her, and refuse to give up even after a pair of pretty crushing social losses, and a punch to the face. Thoughts on convincing them to move on without just going "fuck it, you left without her"?

Have her leave instead.

Good luck finding a Night Caste that doesn't want to be found.

Well, do they know why she refuses to go with them? What's their argument as to why she should leave? If all else fails, you could have them removed violently, I guess.

Does anyone have the black and white/inverted color version of this picture? It was posted quite a few threads back but I forgot to save it and I wanna make it the default Abyssal portrait. Might not have had the awesome face head can't remember.

Well, the deal witht htis chick is that she was originally a mortal slave who took the head elemental's fancy, and so was bought as a pet, basically. Then romance happened, and the Solar Exalted to protect the Garda from a group of Immaculate Monks. And has stuck around, now with a nice position with people she likes and cares about. Thus, she has absolutely no desire to leave, and lot sof reasons to stay, and has also learned lots of good skills the players really want with them. Thus, she isn't leaving, and trying to make her is pointless because she'll spend wp all day to show off influence. The players argument is basically that she could be doing more good elsewhere(ie with them). And violence is attractive, as the court could beat down the group pretty reasonably, as it only has 2 really noteworthy fighters, the others have just enough to keep themselves alive...Is beating your players down t get them to do stuff bad? I think it might be fun...