twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, no, Drills make circular holes.

Messers make triangular ones.

yeah but what about the rapeier?

that's a smallsword hilt.

you act like that hilts are that important

you can never have too much hilt.

said the guy making this one.

not seen that one before, and google's coming up a blank - any idea where it is?

>you can never have too much hilt.
sounds like that it's the Dane swordsmith's motto

and here, roosting in its native habitat....

well, if you tend to the messer-tree around the year dutifully you can have great messer harvests

Is this what they based the zweihander in Dark Souls on? Either my memory is foggy or it looks exactly the same.

Some 17th century custom Hirschfänger, I'd assume. I think I got it from some auction page, but I got no idea what I was searching for back then. People occasionally did mount short, broad blades on all sorts of stuff right up till the 19th century. The Heeresgeschichtliches in Vienna has an officer's smallsword grip that was married to a pretty stout shortsword blade as well.

could be as they are indeed look similar, but honestly, it's a video game so fuck knows.

Also the moar you know: the proper term is bidenhander. Zweihander is a modern term that wasn't used back then. Know you can act like a snob when it comes to swords and be like the guys who insist that chainmaile is a made up term so it shouldn't be used

Anyone know where I can find some minis (preferably 28mm) wearing this style armor?

Messer a shit. Can I have some maces? Preferably not flanged.

not with that attitude

Already contributed what I had, lad.

yeah but you said messers are shit. That's like the first step for a nerd fight

fireforge-games.com/webstore/medieval-russian

want

> thousands of years of design
> defining feature that shows the wealth and knowledge of a culture at its time of making
> hurr durr hilts don't matter

get out.

What a nice little holder for my knives.

Note the helmet and facemask.
But thanks for the link, guess thats the only company that has good lamelar styled armor.

Can anyone explain to me why this sword might have the chain, which I would normally assume is a form of knuckle guard, on the wrong part of the handle? Or were you actually supposed to hold this thing backwards?

Also, cool runes.

do you have any pics about the edge from a different angle?

Nope, these two images are all I could find of the thing.

There's only one surviving example of "Scythe sword", and it's this one that was made for Thomas Muntzer.

Judging from the fact that it's blade is literally made form a scythe according to one source I found, it may just be a ceremonial thing that was never meant to be used. So it has a standard single edged sword hilt, knuckle guard and all.

Still, a pretty interesting design. Reminds me a lot of the Falx.

It may have been disassembled at some point in the past, and then put back together wrong. Or it may have been as such from the start. The combination of a plain old scythe blade tarted up with some runes and the rather fancy hilt doesn't strike me as somethign ever made for actual use, instead suggesting a ritual purpose, or begin made to part not flesh, but the gullible form their money. In either case, on possibility for why it did end up like this could be that a normal sabre curvature was given higher priority than getting the edge on the right side.

Holy shit, friend of mine made the discovery that this sword looks like what an edgy hungarian RPG describes as the edgy sword of the edgy assassin clan there.

Could I get some more recurve/inwardly curving swords?

how curvy are we talking about?

Hungarian Larpfag: "Is this a falchion or a messer?"

Cutleranon: "yes".

Welcome to the wonderful world of single-edged classification systems. Please leave your sanity at the rabbit-hole, and enjoy the trip down.

its proper name is a Wakefield Hangar.

not tht helps, because WTF is a wakefield Hangar? Its a Hangar, from Wakefield.

Except most of the arent from Wakefield.

Dont you love the sense behind all this?

At least it ain't polearms.

Let's see, hirschfänger style grip, guard may be part of a military (demi)basket, and a very wide blade that I wouldn't be surprised if it was a ground-down cavalry sword.

Might perhaps be a hunting sword just made to look like that, may be a hunting sword made with parts of old and mroe or less broken swords, or it could just be someone slapping together some unassociated parts to sell to those who don't know any better.

Edge on the left, so while slight and probably unintentional, it's forward curved.

I envy the people who are always have a very clear and strong opinion on weapons and which one counts as what (while sometimes totally disregarding reality)
I mean look at us, we aren't even sure about if it's a sword or a knife...

>I mean look at us, we aren't even sure about if it's a sword or a knife...

We aren't?

>At least it ain't polearms.
classification of polearms is what you do when you reach zero sanity.
Although I have a pdf of a similar thing from George A. Snook, but didn't had time to read it yet.

well if it's a messer then it counts as a knife. If it's a falchion then it counts as a sword... most of the time.

Clearly it is a rather large knife

What's the difference?

The I always heard was the construction of the hilt/tang, but I never got anything conclusive.

Ultimately I think the classification system for most weapons is pretty dumb.

If anyone ever finds where that one has got to, I'd do despicable things to man, beast or duck to get my hands on it.

Same with this one.

its the Bolivian navy on manoeuvres in the south pacific.

>Ultimately I think the classification system for most weapons is pretty dumb.
on one hand you are right, in the sense that when they made the weapons they didn't had a classification system or anything close to that. They didn't even cared.

BUT if we want to research these and talk about them in an academical sense, or anything similar to that we have to make a distinction between them so we know what's the difference between them so then we can research how that influence them and why are they made in a different way.
Among other things.

of course, it would help if there werent so many fakes out there too.

well, otherwise it wouldn't be near to impossible

dont frickin' remind me....

the fuck is that? I'm not sure if that is an abomination or the best thing since sliced bread

You could carry a messer in some places where a sword was illegal, because it's just a knife. They were the bullet button of their time.

just a type 2.

only a type 2 that's probably about 10 years old... unlike this one.

nigger, you best be joking.
That urban legend is repeated by so many people it will start to trigger me in the near future

unfortunately, just a modern urban myth.

There's a tiny kernel of truth - they were a legal-get around. but it wasnt to carry. it was a get-around for the knife-making _guilds_ to produce and sell a bladed weapon, when the sword-making guilds had monopoly on the trade.