/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Glesga Keelies Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit
List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R
ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes
/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/8tatre3vd10yv/Avalon_Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mediafire.com/download/oxx8912030h4bar/Osprey - CAM 090 - Vimeiro 1808.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/h14yg76hee9z3/Napoleon's_Army_and_Allies
mediafire.com/folder/p6wa9i5uywe88/Wellington's_Army
mediafire.com/download/1lfvfani2aevoym/DBA 3.0.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_military
viewfromtheturret.com/2007/01/27/test-of-battle-initial-impressions/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Wake
mediafire.com/download/05a9ib8c949pc6o/Osprey - ELI 138 - The Yugoslav Wars (1) Slovenia & Croatia 1991-95.pdf
mediafire.com/download/6qhyb7h2n20uoka/Osprey - ELI 146 - The Yugoslav Wars (2) Bosnia, Kosovo & Macedonia 1992-2001.pdf
mediafire.com/download/xw7wfkbttkgnwxm/Osprey - ELI 076 - The German Freikorps 1918-23.pdf
mediafire.com/download/d00kbpry8d910ce/Osprey - MAA 269 - The Ottoman Army 1914-18.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cw65c9a5bfrll7v/Osprey - MAA 277 - The Russo-Turkish War 1877.pdf
mediafire.com/download/692xm8122qkjtp4/Osprey - MAA 392 - The Austro-Hungarian Forces In World War I (1) 1914-16.pdf
mediafire.com/download/rcx6rsk8caaus17/Osprey - MAA 397 - The Austro-Hungarian Forces In World War I (2) 1916-18.pdf
mediafire.com/download/6hsb317hj3dwcu8/Osprey - MAA 412 - Ukrainian Armies 1914-55.pdf
mediafire.com/download/2bd9qpr5b3y967w/Osprey - MAA 447 - Czech Legion 1914-20.pdf
mediafire.com/download/k2sech6bjj8w485/Osprey - MAA 466 - Armies Of The Balkan Wars 1912–13.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Hail Caesar! Late Antiquity to Early Medieval Army List
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Germany Strikes!
Bolt Action: Empire in Flames

August 21st in military history:

1140 – Song dynasty general Yue Fei defeats an army led by Jin dynasty general Wuzhu at the Battle of Yancheng during the Jin–Song Wars.
1415 – Henry the Navigator leads Portuguese forces to victory over the Marinids at the Battle of Ceuta.
1680 – Pueblo Indians capture Santa Fe from the Spanish during the Pueblo Revolt.
1689 – The Battle of Dunkeld in Scotland.
1778 – American Revolutionary War: British forces begin besieging the French outpost at Pondichéry.
1808 – Battle of Vimeiro: British and Portuguese forces led by General Arthur Wellesley defeat French force under Major-General Jean-Andoche Junot near the village of Vimeiro, Portugal, the first Anglo-Portuguese victory of the Peninsular War.
1852 – Tlingit Indians destroy Fort Selkirk, Yukon Territory.
1863 – Lawrence, Kansas is destroyed by Confederate guerrillas Quantrill's Raiders in the Lawrence Massacre.
1914 – World War I: The Battle of Charleroi, a successful German attack across the River Sambre which pre-empted a French offensive in the same area.
1918 – World War I: The Second Battle of the Somme begins.
1942 – World War II: The flag of Nazi Germany is installed atop the Mount Elbrus, the highest peak of the Caucasus mountain range.
1942 – World War II: The Guadalcanal Campaign: American forces defeat an attack by Imperial Japanese Army soldiers in the Battle of the Tenaru.
1944 – World War II: Canadian and Polish units capture the strategically important town of Falaise, Calvados, France.
1957 – The Soviet Union successfully conducts a long-range test flight of the R-7 Semyorka, the first intercontinental ballistic missile.
1968 – James Anderson, Jr. posthumously receives the first Medal of Honor to be awarded to an African American U.S. Marine.
1982 – Lebanese Civil War: The first troops of a multinational force lands in Beirut to oversee the Palestine Liberation Organization's withdrawal from Lebanon.

Can someone explain to me why we don't have DBA 3 in the scans?

It is 208 years since the Battle of Vimeiro, where by the British under General Arthur Wellesley (later known as the Duke of Wellington) defeated the French under Major-General Jean-Andoche Junot near the village of Vimeiro near Lisbon, Portugal, during the Peninsular War. This battle put an end to the first French invasion of Portugal.

Having landed his army near Coimbra in central Portugal, Wellesley awaited the French Army of General Junot that was marching north from Lisbon to tackle him. Wellesley took up a position against the coast, his army deployed on a hill to the landward side of the town of Vimeiro and along a ridge stretching to the North of the town. Fane’s and Anstruther’s brigades were positioned on the hill to the east of the town. A second mountain stretched from behind the town hill to the south curving back to the coast, on the far side of the River Maceira.

The French army marched in on the morning heading along the road that led to the extreme left of the British position. Several of the British brigades on the right were brought across the intervening river and formed on the mountain stretching to the left of the British position that the French were threatening to turn. French brigades commanded by Laborde and Brenier marched forward to attack the British centre and left simultaneously supported by further forces commanded by Kellerman and Loisin. Brenier’s brigade became ensnared in a deep ravine that lay along the front of the mountain on which the British left was positioned and his troops drifted away to the French right.

Laborde’s and Loisin’s attacks pressed on up the hill but were subjected to heavy artillery fire. Reaching the summit they were attacked and driven back down the hill by the 50th Foot and other regiments. Kellerman’s grenadiers made some progress against Anstruther’s 2/43rd Foot at the top of the hill but in some hard hand to hand fighting the 43rd drove the French grenadiers off the hill.

Solignac's brigade attacked the British left flank but was driven back from the mountain by Ferguson’s brigade which captured six French guns. The 71st Highlanders and 82nd Foot were left to guard the guns. These two regiments were surprised by Brenier, as he finally developed his assault on the mountain, and driven off. Rallying, the regiments returned to the attack, recaptured the guns and inflicted heavy casualties on Brenier’s brigade. Brenier himself was wounded and captured. Ferguson’s brigade was well on the way to capturing numbers of the defeated French troops when the brigade commander received an order not to continue with the pursuit. Brenier’s and Solignac’s brigades had been forced along the mountain ridge away to the North, while Loisin and Laborde were driven due East. All along the line the pursuit was abandoned.

Sir Arthur Wellesley’s plan was to swing his unengaged right flank forward across the road to Lisbon and the French Army would have been cut off from its base. Had Sir Arthur Wellesley been permitted to continue it seems that the French Army might have been compelled to surrender entirely. The ‘stop’ order had been given by Sir Harry Burrard, an officer senior to Wellesley, who had arrived from England and taken command.

In hindsight, Junot faced very long odds with only 14,000 Frenchmen against 18,000 British and Portuguese. Junot correctly launched his heaviest attack on the weakest point in the British position, the unoccupied northeastern ridge. However, his attacks suffered by being badly coordinated. Wellesley reacted quickly to counter Junot's flanking move. His forces overcame the French skirmishers by using superior numbers of their own skirmishers.

British casualties numbered 720 killed and wounded. The French casualties were around 2,000 including several hundred prisoners, and 13 guns were captured.

After the comprehensive French defeat, Junot offered complete capitulation. Nevertheless, Dalrymple gave the French far more generous terms than they could have hoped for. Under the terms of the Convention of Sintra, the defeated army was transported back to France by the British navy, complete with its guns and equipment and the loot it had taken from Portugal. The Convention of Sintra caused a massive outcry in Britain and, following an official enquiry, both Dalrymple and Burrard were blamed. Wellesley, who had opposed the agreement, was exonerated.

During the battle the 71st's piper, George Clarke, was badly wounded in both legs but continued to play on, encouraging his comrades. He was subsequently awarded a silver set of pipes by the Highland Society.

Vimiero is a classic Peninsula battle, with the perfect mix of skirmishers, cavalry and artillery to make for an interesting fight. A French commander who organizes their attacks better than Junot did stands a reasonable chance of reversing history.

mediafire.com/download/oxx8912030h4bar/Osprey - CAM 090 - Vimeiro 1808.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/h14yg76hee9z3/Napoleon's_Army_and_Allies
mediafire.com/folder/p6wa9i5uywe88/Wellington's_Army

This month's /hwg/ challenge is a command base

It's in Ancients/Games

mediafire.com/download/1lfvfani2aevoym/DBA 3.0.pdf

Ah thank you. I guess I missed it.

whats this /hwg/ challenge thing? it sounds like good fun and a reason to break out the brushes again

It's exactly that - we got a theme, and paint something with that theme. Now it's command bases till the...16th or September? Can't remember exactly.

Hey, /hwg/, who's your historyfu?

I've basically finished mine already, should be able to put up photos tomorrow.

Make a second one then!

do what now?

Making slow progress on my knights, found I actually have enough for 3 bases Impetus style so... I'll focus on the front one first. Do need some bases though. I'd make them myself out of plasticard or something but it's full metal models so I probably better buy some wooden ones. I've got some fancy tufts with flowers hanging around going unused that I can stick on them.

>start helping out at FLgS
>In a college town that appears to have no historical groups whatsoever
>Help out mainly to scope out the regulars and see if I can find out about guys playing at home
>Older guy comes in
>jackpot.jpg
>he's looking at magic cards and we strike up a conversation
>casually mention that I play a few different historical systems and was going to try and build interest
>grogmodeactivated
>Turns out the guy collects nearly everything
>We get talking about hobbying and he mentions how he hates building but loves painting, wishes he could find someone to build stuff for him
>I love building models but have a hard time cranking out all my models
>we work out a deal that I'll build and he'll paint.
>as if it couldn't get better, he mentions he has japs to trade and was looking for US infantry
>I'm looking to make the opposite trade
>thank you based H.G. Wells for the gift you have given me

So yeah, I've only got one other guy to play historicals with, but it sounds like I've got a good one. Murray KY seems like a desert when it comes to historicals. I've had very little luck garnering interest, not just for historicals but mini games in general. It's looking like I'll have to drive to Nashville for tourneys or proper game days with a diverse set of opponents sadly.

Kind of a shot in the dark but anyone on here near Murray KY, or even just an hour away like Paris Tennessee? It's be nice to have a group for historicals that doesn't involve driving to Nashville.

>That mini
What's the xontext for it?

For those of us who want to play a 10-15mm WW2 wargame of roughly company scale, what rulesets come /hwg/-recommended BESIDES Flames of War (which none of my group likes)?

You could try battlegroup, crossfire or rapid fire

It's a command base for a Hussar unit; I thought it provided a good example of how you could make the project interesting.

>The officers are from Perry. One of them is a General the Brigade, the other his ADC. I looked at the colors of the different French Hussars regiments for some time and ended up with the 5th since I really wanted to work with some light blue. Not sure if there ever was a Brigadier that wore a uniform from the 5th, but I simply wanted to do them this way. So far so good. In the end I think I should have gone with a different unit at least for the ADC, since well… with all this lint blue they look like a bunch of Smurfs! The two ladies are from Eureka Miniatures and are painted to match, except that they are wearing enlisted soldiers jackets (yellow piping) instead of officers jackets (gold lace).

>do what now?
Know how people can have crushes on fictional characters? That, but with a historical figure instead.

But thats fucking gay

Not original, I know...but c'mon. Look at that uniform.

Only if you take it seriously. Having affection for someone based on reading about them and thinking they look good in pictures is different from the whole "I have a shrine in my closet and have 'dates' with them by eating Chinese food with a picture of them" thing from /a/.

finding men good looking is for homos though

To oscentatious for me
Yeeep

Women are not a recent invention.

and women have no place in war

Emma Goldman.

Why? I like the look of their apparel? Not OP here but i disagree. If you want to suck their history dick your a fag, but to 'admire' the look and style is far from homo

Women have participated in wars throughout history. Not every war, and generally not as prominently as men, but come on.

Examples can be found here, and that seems to only cover examples from WWI through to today (and not even all of those, given the presence of women in the Spanish Civil War, for instance):

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_military

They shouldnt be in war, end of story. Fuck off with your feminist shit.

Admiring men is gay, accept it.

Command Decision 4 is good, I don't think there's a scan of it. Its a bit bigger than company scale but would work well with the 10-15mm scale you mentioned.

Review: viewfromtheturret.com/2007/01/27/test-of-battle-initial-impressions/

Does anyone know where I can find a scan of l'Art de la Guerre? I hear its a good replacement for dbx and field of glory, but there seems to be a bit of shortage on english rule books.

BMP-1

Do /hwg/ anons prefer campaigns or just pick up games in their groups? If the former, what are some of your favourite types of campaigns or good ones you've played.

Personally I just finished my group's latest 5 Men at Kursk campaign, with Allied and Axis forces clashing over a small French town. The final scenario, a 3 v 3 in the town centre brought Poles (mine), Americans and Free French bands against two Heer units (one of dismounted tankers) and a motley crew of Luftwaffe ground forces and Fallschirmjäger. Ended in a decisive Allied victory, though by the end I only had one of my brave Poles left after some disastrous Brawl rolls.

I'm thinking of trying to adapt AK-47 republic for turn-of-the-century pseudo-southeastern-europe, any suggestions as to good ospreys and/or appropriate miniatures or possibly even systems that would do such a thing better?
Thanks a bunch, guys.

Also, one last thing, but how hard would it be to adapt the fivecore system for a T2K setting? It sounds pretty good for skirmish-scale stuff, but I'm not sure how good it'd be with sorta-moderns

I play solo

Oh hi, Shitposter-kun, how's the summer over there?

I would love to play campaigns but I never stick around in an area long enough to join one

I play solo as well, but prefer campaigns to one-off battles - mostly for the story & unit development.

IMHO, THW's Rally Round the King campaign rules (tinkered with (naturally)) are excellent for the that purpose - providing just enough randomness to keep things interesting.

I just threw in supply & it's interdiction, and they can be (basically) played with anything - from ancients, through WW1 Dogfights to Spaceships & BattleMechs.

Well, as a high-impact homosexual and person who's hopes of fighter piloting were dashed by growing too tall, my historysbisdo is Erich Hartmann, ace of aces.

>Rally Round the King
This interests me. PDF pls?

FiveCore works fine for modern stuff, it's a very adaptable ruleset. I know some people prefer stuff like Force on Force, Skirmish Sangin or the like though, so they might be worth checking out.

Also, you play historicals too? /swg/'s good taste continues, I'm Danon by the by

This interests me also, seconding

I suppose I'd have to say Nancy Wake

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Wake

>PDF pls?
In our generic Wargames folder

Campaigns will always rule over one-offs for me. It's much more fun to play when something's at stake, and feels part of a larger whole. My test of all wargame vidya is "does it have a campaign mode?".

Danke

Thanks, I knew they were here somewhere.

They're a fantasy ruleset, basically, but if you ignore heroes & wizards, they work just as well for ancients/medieval.

>Campaigns will always rule over one-offs for me. It's much more fun to play when something's at stake, and feels part of a larger whole. My test of all wargame vidya is "does it have a campaign mode?".

+1 vote for this.
It makes the '300' style stands actually meaningful by giving you a chance for some kind of victory.

>They're a fantasy ruleset, basically, but if you ignore heroes & wizards, they work just as well for ancients/medieval.

There are some historical army lists for it in there too

>any suggestions as to good osprey

These should cover things nicely:

mediafire.com/download/05a9ib8c949pc6o/Osprey - ELI 138 - The Yugoslav Wars (1) Slovenia & Croatia 1991-95.pdf
mediafire.com/download/6qhyb7h2n20uoka/Osprey - ELI 146 - The Yugoslav Wars (2) Bosnia, Kosovo & Macedonia 1992-2001.pdf

I don't know about specific minis, but any Warpac or appropriate looking militia/civilian ones would be fine, and there's a wide selection of both. I think AK47 Republic would be a great choice of ruleset, you'll just need to refluff and/or recreate the various factions.

Yup!

People on yahoo page even made lists for P&S, AWI, Napoleonics, and even Victorian era / World War 1.
I haven't tested them, though, so I've no idea how they perform.

Thanks for recommending, but I bodged it by not specifying that I meant the turn of the LAST century, so like 1880-1920 stuff, my bad
>Also, you play historicals too?
Oh hey buddy, funny overlap, this.
I'm not sure I really qualify as a proper historicals guy, since my interests are about 30% hex and chit WWII, 20% Cold War Harpoon and 40% hex and chit/RPG Cold War, last of the cold warriors and fanatical anticommunist that I am. I dunno, I kind of feel like a certain degree of interest in napoleoniocs or ACW stuff is required to properly qualify as a historicals guy

youre historicals if you play wargames that are historical in nature

>I meant the turn of the LAST century

Oh right! This list is more appropriate then, especially the last one:

mediafire.com/download/xw7wfkbttkgnwxm/Osprey - ELI 076 - The German Freikorps 1918-23.pdf
mediafire.com/download/d00kbpry8d910ce/Osprey - MAA 269 - The Ottoman Army 1914-18.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cw65c9a5bfrll7v/Osprey - MAA 277 - The Russo-Turkish War 1877.pdf
mediafire.com/download/692xm8122qkjtp4/Osprey - MAA 392 - The Austro-Hungarian Forces In World War I (1) 1914-16.pdf
mediafire.com/download/rcx6rsk8caaus17/Osprey - MAA 397 - The Austro-Hungarian Forces In World War I (2) 1916-18.pdf
mediafire.com/download/6hsb317hj3dwcu8/Osprey - MAA 412 - Ukrainian Armies 1914-55.pdf
mediafire.com/download/2bd9qpr5b3y967w/Osprey - MAA 447 - Czech Legion 1914-20.pdf
mediafire.com/download/k2sech6bjj8w485/Osprey - MAA 466 - Armies Of The Balkan Wars 1912–13.pdf

AK47 Republic would still suit the pocket country theme, although now you do have a lot more work adapting the older nation/government types to suit.

Have you ever read the Prisoner of Zenda? Sounds like you should look into Ruritania!

Well if alternate history stuff counts, I guess I qualify, then

>Have you ever read the Prisoner of Zenda? Sounds like you should look into Ruritania!
I have, actually, recently, which, along with some old gun literature about whackry balkins stuff (like montenegro and it's "everybody MUST own this revolver" law) inspired me to turn to that part of Europe for strangereal-style pseudo-historical stuff

> I kind of feel like a certain degree of interest in napoleoniocs or ACW stuff is required to properly qualify as a historicals guy
Nah, I basically only play stuff from the last Century and I've dabbled in Medieval gaming, and I imagine many other /hwg/ anons are the same. If anything being a "historicals guy" is just about taking an interest in the history behind the games you play, beyond the ruleset itself.

Although he's toward the end of your timeframe, Zog of Albania could serve as some glorious inspiration. He survived 55 assassination attempts!

Presumably because no Assassin could keep a straight face long enough to aim.

>Zog of Albania could serve as some glorious inspiration. He survived 55 assassination attempts!
Yes, I know him well. He actually inspired me to invent a background fluff thing for these kingdoms where you roll an exploding D6XD6 to determine how many assassins that your Archduke or Captain-General or King or what have you has survived.
Also, I want to include a 2D10 'Monarch's title' table, and I need lots of super-feudal titles to fill it out, any suggestions?

Check North-Korean titles of the current regime.

Or anything Idi Amin decided to call himself.

>His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular

What a jolly odd man

You forgot King of Scotland user. How could you forget he was also king of Scotland?

Is there anything like SAGA or Bolt Action but for the late medieval period? I like those systems but don't care for the time period as much. Plus I wanted to get some Perry Bros minis..

Try Chevauchee. I've heard some pretty mixed things about it, but it's based on the FiveCore engine so I don't see how it can be too awful.

I'll do that. Or if no one minds terribly much, use late medieval perry minis as Normans in SAGA. I could see how that would upset some folks though.

my grandpa helped remove him. may he rot in saudi soil

Any good wargames for 1970s light wars (SF vs local milita, most advanced thing would be an F-4 group or M-60s around)

Though I don't recommend it; lion rampant
There's bound to be something more appropriate out there though. Late Medieval seems to be one of the best represented in miniatures but worst represented in decent games eras going.

Isn't that gonna be way too small in scale for something on the lines of saga/bolt action's 30-50 figures on the table kinda deal?

Force on Force, No End In Sight, FiveCore.

Deus Vult and Deus Vult Loot & Burn

Why spoilered?

Just finished my first 3mm ACW regiment for Black Powder.

Something just feels great having a 2 rank line with 96 soldiers total with only a 12cm frontage

Becuase some people, I think it's only one user, spaz out at it's mention for some reason.

Lion Rampant being bad is a /hwg/ meme

hot diggety

Nobody actually does.

It's just a silly little running joke about a mediocre game.

Is it actually bad or do some anons just have their cheetos in a twist?

>some anons

its just one actually.

Besides, can't you use the Hail Caesar rules? The game is generic enough and Warlord even has the Perry Medieval minis under their Hail Caesar tab.

I've run games of Chev with 30 figures on the table. It took a little bit longer but the rules scale up nicely.

No I'm fairly sure there was one user, back when it was scanned, that got absolutely assblasted by it. Which is where the joke came from.

It's not great, it's just one of those filler games that does nothing particularly interesting, has a couple of problems, but is popular with some because it's simple, familiar and actually has some production value put into it so people can go 'ooh, it has miniatures porn and doesn't look like it was made in openoffice/MSword' will automatically gravitate towards it.

One dude about a year or more ago had a terrible game with it because the system mechanics were such that it made it impossible for him to do anything due to bad rolls. Literally no actions at all, might as well not even be playing.

That's a serious flaw in the system to be honest, statistical improbability be damned.

No one actually rages about it though.

How much is 'a bit longer'?

Maybe 10-15 minutes.

That sounds cool, post updates as the come along please

LoTR strategy battle game...take all the wizard shit out of it and go.

No, that's just Dunklegrau.

I'll just go "volunteer" for the eastern front now, don't shoot!

Agreed that this would be an excellent option.

Might need to homebrew some stats for firearms if you want those, or you could look at one of the historical games using those mechanics.

>That spoiler

Best /hwg/ meme right there

I know this isn't entirely on topic, but would a game like 40k benefit from liberally borrowing mechanics from Bolt Action?

men doing fights?

BA and 40k are pretty much the same game

>this months hwg challenge is a command unit
A bit disappointing if I'm being honest.

Maybe you could do a WWII Italian command unit if disappointment is what you're after.

Given that Bolt Action is an even more streamlined 3rd edition 40k with some tweaks for turn sequence and a pinning system, yeah sure why not.

Go for Rebellion by eBob, it uses pretty much the same rules, bit with better melee rules. Tbh those are pretty shit in the SBG system.

"A war has broken out! Roll 10d10 to determine how many clusterfucks piled up to cause it!

"Note: 10s explode."

It's cool. I also like Dragon Rampant!

Either Sappho or Cleopatra