Overused Monsters and Myths You Love

Kitsune.

I know they're weeb-bait, but I love shapeshifters and tricksters. Anyone else?

FUCKIN

WITCHES

Then subsequently witch hunt you and the party have to participate in

Elementals.

Kitsune are only bad when the DM over-emphasizes their lustful nature or under-emphasizes their natural inclinations towards deceit and trickery.

A Kitsune might eventually suck your dick, but she's going to "accidentally" frame you for the theft of a magistrate's illegal hoard or a boastful Ronin's sword before that.

Vampires.

As long as they are not presented as good people for fucking people that have 1 generation lived to their 5.

Is there a system that does them well? I haven't ever found a TTG that really did much of anything with them.

>Is there a system that does them well?

Pathfinder does a surprisingly good job of them, if you ignore the fact they're furries in the lore.

They're portrayed as charming, dexterous tricksters with racial feats focusing on their deceiving nature, and are in fact able to grow up to nine tails, each of which grants the Kitsune spells per day that focus on illusion and charm. The Oracle class even has a custom Kitsune "curse" that makes them weak to poison (such as alcohol,) but allows them to grow their tails rather than take their bonus spells.

Werewolves. You can twist them good or bad, but at the end of the day, the feral monster is dangerous and makes for a fight.

Wait, so the extra tails give them bonus spells and Oracle lets them give up spells per level to grow extra tails? Doesn't that just effect the same outcome?

I like really big werewolves. I don't want them to be all skinny and wiry, I want big fucking ten foot tall mountains of muscle, fangs and claws.

Oracle is a weird class, it always tends to feel like someone is shoehorning a cleric who does drugs into the equation.

Please, you can't call them werewolves if they're just men with a bit of fur on them.

Yeah, that third pic is a good start but I'd double the height and keep those proportions.

>Doesn't that just effect the same outcome?

It means you don't have to use feats to get the tails, and the spells you get will be charm and illusion based, which are basically better than anything the Oracle could give you.

The 4 horsemen. Played straight. Creative interpretation. Nightmarish renditions. No matter what people do with them, I love how people translate them into fiction.

Oh, so its a pretty sweet min/max then?

Pretty much, it gives you amazing spells and an auto-progression on your tail growth without costing you anything but a negligible penalty to poison resistance that is more for flavor than anything (Kitsune are infamous for being lightweights.)

I don't have much werewolf art, and what little I have doesn't really have them next to people. Twice the height seems a bit much, but definitely larger is cool.

What do you guys like more? Wherewolves that turn into complete wolves or the ones that still have some things in commen with regur humans when turned? I find myself slightly more drawn to the concept of complete change although the half-wolf half-human thing works well sometimes, it just ends up looking goofy instead of scary sometimes.

I like the ones that can give you the knot and a litter of pups.

Love me some Golems
Pic related
Commissioned it a while ago.

Kitsune are good if you don't overemphasize their sexual nature. They range from being mischievous to outright malicious. Anywhere from to SCP-952 serial killer mode. When she does finally suck your dick, she may very well bite it off just for lulz.

Basically, nothing wrong with traditional/classic kitsunes; they can be a valuable, but dangerous asset that while useful can have the party constantly watching their backs and second-guessing things, but unless you're doing an ERP, steer clear of modern, romanticized ones.

Dick sucking should really just be yet another weapon in its arsenal for manipulation.

Personally I always like how the Big Bad Wolf was handled in the Fables comic book. He could pretty much freely shift anywhere between a massive wolf the size of a truck and a human. When the situation called for it, he could be big wolf man or keep on changing closer to his true giant form.

>f-list is over there ->

Golems and Elementals.

Non-undead animates in general, really.

Skeletons.

I really have a soft spot for skelepuns and skelly stuff in general.

my man

Probably a bit broad, but I like deities/spiritual beings who lack empathy or understanding of the ways of mortals, yet aren't necessarily malicious so much as impartial..almost like a machine or cosmic janitor.

Werewolf: The Apocalypse and some of the Vampire: The Masquerade source books have good Werewolf art. The one that always comes to my mind is a picture in the Chicago by Night book of a werewolf crushing a Nosferatus head in one hand while dragging another on the floor.
Heres one I like (Ignoring the human's face) its from a Crossover between Deadlands and Werewolf called Under a Harrowed Moon.

I derped, and uploaded Deadlands art Style ad none of White Wolf.
So heres a Garou ripping some Fomor ass apart.

Make way for Best Skeleton.

I love me some dark knights.
Blackguards, wandering warriors, champions of Hell, you name it.
In basically every game I GM, at least one major enemy is a dark knight.
I also love snakes or dragons, in general, as a symbol of cunning and evil. One of the NPCs I have is based on a character from the Curse of the Golden Spear adventure, and she is a Lawful Evil version of a Hebi-no-onna, or snake woman, with adjusted stats for being in 5e and being a devil (it's complicated). Her husband, who accompanies her, is a buffed Chain Devil with class levels who surpasses her challenge rating.
Most of the outright enemies in the campaign I run are either evil spirits, traitor humans, or dragonborn (more dragon-likes).

Damn right

>Cockatrices
>Basilisks
>Gorgons

I'm beginning to notice a pattern.

I also have a disturbing degree of fondness for the lesser dragonoids. Hydras, drakes, wyverns, et cetera.

Then there's sphinxes, centaurs, griffins, and giants to round out the set.

there is that one kitsune story about the farmer's wife though... not sure how it fits in with the others

tl;dr a farmer falls in love and marries a kitsune, they have kids. Eventually villagers notice she is a kitsune and chase her out of town. Despite being tricked, the farmer shouts after her "You are still my wife and the mother of our children and I will always love you!" In some versions of the story, she returns to visit him.

also wasn't there a kitsune story that went like

>guy gets drunk at a tavern with a kitsune, he falls off the balcony of the tavern only to discover there was no balcony, and he is halfway across the country from where he last remembers
>moral of the story: drinking in excess is bad

Male kitsune aren't used enough, because their sexual advances can be played off as boorishness and they're harder for a mostly-male party(or party played mostly by men) to waifu.
That leaves a lot more space for being a trickster, and the party is more likely to see them as an asshole rather than misunderstood.
That's also good- a man finds out his wife is the kitsune that's being hunted down and asks the party not to take her in, appealing to the fact that they have a daughter together.
And the plot twist is that they are both secretly kitsune, as is their adorable daughter, who knows not to talk about it and will do everything to play along and keep her mother safe.

Fair folk. Elves, ogres, goblins and the like. Not the Tolkein ripoff ones though, I'm talkin old school fair folk straight outta Faerie

>Male kitsune

just Skelton's in general or something else as well?

Me personally, I love the idea of a person so driven in life to accomplish something (like protect a loved one or get revenge) that not even death will stop them one day I want to play a Skelton fighter based on pic related.

I like sluts too

>overused monsters
>no mention of anyone's mother
not sure if i should be proud or disappointed

Has Sir Dan been used since the PS1 days? (not counting sony smash brawl).

Also goddamnit, I've already got two "replacement" characters lined up if my current one suffers a terrible fate, I don't need another.

Dragons.

They're in every fantasy campaign I've seen, and be they good or evil, they're always awesome.

Undead that aren't mindless zombies
especially if they get special rules attached to them, like skeletons taking more damage from impact damage, or using holy attacks stops the corpse from being re-animated

I love me some revertants, Vengeful zombies that have their minds entirely intact

He got a PS Vita port with both games I think, but he's an untapped goldmine for Sony to push some games from. Now if only there was a developer willing to make one.

In modern settings, holy hell. Roland the headless thomson gunner, anyone? I've always wanted to do a modern or near-modern character as a roland expy

>is there a system.
This is a GM problem, not a system problem.
A shit GM who thinks with his dick will always do them poorly.

King Kaius from eberron was always one of my favorite takes.
>In a fantasy world war
>Gets talked into relying on creepy undead cult because undead are really, really useful
>Eventually gets talked into becoming a vampire
>Discovers the cult is jerks and planning more Elder God summoning than useful undead stuff, kicks them out
>His totally-not-russia country comes out fairly well, but still takes heavy losses in the war
>Resolves that it's not going to happen again, and Karrnath will endure
>Has been secretly replacing himself as ruler for a few generations now and eating criminals to survive
>Strict and authoritarian, but also cares for karrnath *as a whole*, LE with the welfare of karrnath as a high priority

>Meanwhile, the CG nooby queen of another nation is trying to restart the last war because "WE WERE WINNING U GUISE"

Don't forget that they have regiments of patriotic, loyal undead that still proudly serve their country. Karrnathi was great.

See pic

Same here, I like them monstrous

I'd say put them big enough that a human would go up to their chest/be sorta eye level if they're hunched over on all fours

Yes, werewolves that can go from huge wolf to half human monstrosity to human is best

I like the big, muscular ones that can give you bone shattering snu snu better honestly

I forget the series (it was mostly about fucked social codependency issues anyway) but I really liked the take.
>As little magic fuckery as possible
>Human and wolf are only two forms
>Mass is conserved, and people under 150ish pounds just don't tend to survive werewolf attacks
>Have you ever seen 150 pounds of dog, much less 150 pounds of wolf
>This is 175 pounds of dog
>Slightly better healing because of the magic bullshit swapping back and forth

>people under 150 pounds don't survive

>absurdly lucky fat guy survives an attack, finds himself compelled to get ripped by his new instincts
>becomes world's most well-adjusted werewolf with his condition acting not as a curse but as a PT

>while travling to a village you pass more and more carnage
>starts off as an old campsite with some blood
>a couple miles later a dead horse
>the rider is found leaning against the tree and appears to have been dead for a day
>next hour you come upon a burnt down cottage with the embers still warm
>you begin to worry as the cleric offers a prayer and palafin searchs for survivors
>as you walk further towards the village a pit forms in your stomach
>blocking your path is a small detachment of guards cut to peices
>one appears to have been tortured
>not even the horses live
>smoke is in the wind
>the village you are heading to is on fire and as you rush to help you see a warrior in black pull his sword from a guards chest.
>you present your weapon as you realise this will be the most costly fight you will ever partake in.

That particular kitsune is only male because all the men want to waifu him if he takes a female human form. Kitsune, inugami, etc. don't really have fixed genders in that verse.

>but a negligible penalty ... that is more for flavor than anything

Yep, that sounds like Oracle.

I agree, though possibly for different reasons.

Heh, you remind me of one of the black knight bosses I had for one of my campaigns.
>Tasked by a devil to kill the king the party works for, leads an army
>Chill dude when not fighting the party (they got to meet him before the battle he took part in)
>Shows up to fight the party
>His devilish servitude comes packed with free immunity to fire and poison, pissing off the wizard who loves fire spells
>Also neat is his 1/day boon of free Earthquake, which gets counterspelled by the wizard
>Paladin shows up to fight him, accompanied by other warriors
>He asks paladin why he's resisting an inevitable result
>Paladin asks him the same thing
>With all the bonuses paladins get to damage against fiends, the wicked damage the paladin has from his magic items (I ran a just short of Monty Haul game) and the other people helping him the boss eventually goes down
>Two turns go by as the invading army starts forcing their way in
>Players consider this anticlimactic
>I tell them I expected him to be a bigger challenge
>He is
>After second turn finishes, I tell the players he tears himself out of his own armor and flies into a rage
>The devil has assumed direct control
>mfw
>Players flipping their shit
>I realize the king himself hasn't had a chance to show up and this guy is going to squash the paladin
>King shows up to fight devil boss
>Lets paladin get a breather while the devil kills king
>Enemy mission accomplished?
>Devil boss is pretty smug, about to let the paladin go for putting up a good fight
>Then the wizard's backup plan goes into action
(CONT)

I kind of like the idea of it being potentially anywhere in the mix, primarily based on the phase of the moon. The more full the moon, the more wolfish you become. For uncontrolled transformation, you don't shift at all unless the moon is >50% full, and for a barely-gibbous moon you're basically just kind of hairy with bigger teeth and some claws. At a nice solid gibbous, about 75% full, you get the typical hybrid-style werewolf look. At right around the full moon, you go full wolf (but a much bigger, nastier wolf than usual wolves).

Those who've taken the effort to master the change can still have the degree of wolfishness they can get to dependent on the moon phase, though the exact cutoffs can be pushed back with enough training and magical aid. So a voluntary werewolf could change at less than 50% full moon, but the degree of wolfishness achievable is still proportional to how close to full it is. And I like the idea that no matter what, a werewolf can't change at all on the new moon, and can't resist changing on the full moon, no matter how skilled or how potent the charms and fetishes they have to aid in controlling the process.

Sometimes a few cute or silly moments are important.

>He attacks the general's waifu, who is not immune to fire, by trapping her in a Wall of Flame circle.
>Waifu attempts to Hideous Laughter her way out, twice in a turn with Action Surge (she had class levels in Bard and Fighter)
>Wizard makes one save and barely succeeds on the other one with Inspiration
>General realizes what's going on and attempts to haul ass back to his waifu despite being possessed
>The time has come
>Paladin burns everything he has left on one attack
>Including some magic light crystals that could be hurled like grenades to do radiant damage, which he ties to his weapon
>His personal weapon, a throwing hammer, is hurled after the devil with smite attached (I allowed it because it made sense)
>Connects, barely
>It's JUST enough damage
>Holy nuke goes off when it connects to fleeing devil
>Devil explodes in a burst of light roaring in anger at being denied, is banished back to Hell
>Remainder of army, who left the fight alone so far, turns on the paladin and kills him with a volley of arrows
>Player satisfied with this, says his paladin goes down laughing
>Paladin is now a martyr, his clan immediately vyes to get his body recovered so he can be ressurected
>Party ranger decides to skeedattle with as much from the kingdom's treasury as she can carry, start a new life and change her name
>Wizard cashes in on one of his deals with an evil goddess (wizards have no sense of right and wrong, didn't tell the paladin), eventually gets his comeuppance
Best ending I've ever had in a campaign.

Hydras!
Goose Hydras! Eel Hydras!
Titanic Bobbit Worm Hydras! Giraffe Hydras! Alligator Hydras!
Everything's a Hydra!

>Titanic Bobbit Worm Hydras

I drew it but it looks like spurdo :DDD

Not really a specific overused monster, but I enjoy when sometimes a setting's animals are just a mix of two different animals. It might be a little boring, but it can make some interesting combinations.

Owlbears, griffons, hippogryphs, pegasi...

>Karrnathi was great.

Eberron in general was fantastic, every country had a distinct flavor that made designing characters from them a blast.

What is that, a hyena bunny? Fuck that'd be horrifying.

I remember being like, nine, and constantly laughing my ass off because I thought up these giant lizard/bird things everyone used for food and transportation in a fantasy heartbreaker setting.
They were called chunkos
So you had Chunko Meat

Zombies

Good news, you just gave me a new creature for player use as a mount in my next desert campaign.
>Always wanted to use Chocobo in my campaigns but thought people would get buttflustered

>What kind of meat do we have?
>Chunko meat -
>No, not how much, what kind?
>We have a piece of chunko meat -
>A piece of a chunk of meat? Look, if you don't know where it's from, just say it.
>I do know where it's from!
>Well what kind of meat is it?
>It's a chunko meat -

Balverines.

>I've got a BONE to pick with you!
>This puzzle for you is a true test of SKULL!
>Don't back away, show some SPINE!
>Y'know, sometimes it's hard TIBIA HUMERUS guy like me!
>I've created more ingenious puzzles SHINce we last met!
>I'm about to be quite STERNUM with you!
>How about ULNAther challenge?
>My name? You may call me Philip Angie, "Phil" for short.

Sphinxes, although they might not be overused.
Kobolds and dragons, although I never put them in when I DM because I have a massive scaly fetish and don't want to accidentally Magical Realm.
Mimics. Although I usually make them only visibly unlocked chests, unless I say imma be a dick about it.

I agree, more male Kitsune appreciation.

This

Good folk took by baby!

>Kitsune
>monsters

Nigga '''''''kitsunes'''''''' are just common/normal foxes, people in old times believed actual foxes could magically turn into people and shit.