Good JRPG

What are some good Japanese (and asian in general) RPG's? I hear a lot about American and European ones, but hardly about RPG's from anywhere else.
Pic related (maybe)

Other urls found in this thread:

kotohi.com/ryuutama/rt_data/ryuutama_scenario_granville_road.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Korea has some too! Anybody have the details on pic related?

Maid

Golden Sky Stories

Nechronica

Double Cross

Zettai Reido

Ryuutama (for 'getting there is the adventure'), Grancrest (for army raising, nation defending heroes), Meikyuu Kingdom (see Grancrest, but replace Warhammer Fantasy-esque setting with Dragon Quest silliness), Golden Sky Stories (for adorable small town adventures).

Those are the ones that get mentioned a lot. At least in the threads in I frequent.

I doubt I will ever get the chance to play maid, dont know the other three, and isn't Zettai Reido a TV series? Is it good?

Tenra Bansho Zero is literally the best game from Japan, and one of my favorites overall, and I'm not a huge weeb

>MAID
the only time I played it involved Shaquille O'Neal fighting a wolf. What are Veeky Forums's favourite MAID stories?

>Golden Sky Stories
Maximum comfy, the RPG. You play as spirits and guardians living the peaceful life and dealing with small-town problems.
>Nechronica
Little girl zombies trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world.
>Double Cross
Effectively Japanese supers. Uncover conspiracies as you use your viral superpowers to battle threats, while doing your best not to succumb to the madness. Basically Darker Than Black, the RPG.

Standouts among the currently translated JRPGs are
>Maid RPG
>Tokyo Nova
>Meikyuu Kingdom
>Tenra Bansho Zero
>Nechronica
>Ryuutama
>Golden Sky Stories

Shinobigami will soon join the ranks and is almost guaranteed to be good, as Saikoro Fiction is highly praised and is in the process of being brought to us by Kotodama Heavy Industries, who have already done stellar work on Ryuutama and Tenra Bansho Zero.

There is also Giant Allege which isn't really an RPG per se and hasn't been properly translated yet. It's a GM-less game (a rarity for Japan) about lawyers in not-Australia beating the crap out of each other in court with their giant mecha.
Currently working on it a bit myself, but I can make no promises.

Double Cross is unfortunately marred by a catastrophic localization non-effort and isn't that good to begin with anyway.

Zettai Reido is a tabletop game too. It is /d/.

You should look into Meikyuu Kingdom OP. It is pretty goofy compared to others, but it has a really nice battle layout system and some humorous moments.

Thanks for the tips, I'll search the pdfs

Ryuutama is shit.

The DM wasn't too hot but I'm not sure what the fuck he was supposed to do with that weird ass fucking book.

I have 0 idea how a game is supposed to play out and feel entertaining with that system.

Ostensibly, the playres are a bunch of regular people on a journey of sorts, and the GM gets his own dragonkin DMPC who on rare occasion helps the party from the shadows but is mostly there to catalogue their story.

My brother-in-law wants to start a ryuutama game, and I really don't know what to think of it.

The book certainly looks gorgeous, and a bunch of compy people having compy adventures seems fun enough.

But it also has a DMPC built in and it's expected of the dm to "guide" (read: Railroad) the players along their journey.

I dunno, maybe I just don't "get it"? Is there something I'm missing, or does compy noble-bright adventures pretty much cover it?

See what bugged me was the moment to moment play.

Like, each day of the journey you roll to see how well you did.

Failure means you lose half your health for that day.

Then the book says "make up what happened!"

And I'm just like...wut?

It feels like the game offloads a lot of the world building and daily encounters on the players or some shit and that feels really icky to me.

I'm cool with the DMPC kinda, they work in stuff to make it a cool thing to interact with but just the regular play of the journey is really really icky.

Also the players are supposed to draw the map and write the daily journal which is more stuff that just feels really icky. It feels like it was made by a GM who really didn't like to GM.

I like that it blurs the GM-player dichotomy, gives a dynamic you don't usually see in RPGs.

I can see how it'd be jarring if you're expecting a more traditional DnD style thing, but why the fuck are you playing a wacky Japanese game whose stated goal is "telling a story about a journey"?

Because the GM said it was like Traveller but with wagons.

Also I would even find that tagline to be deceptive since my group tells stories all the times in D&D, Hunter, and all kinds of games. I just didn't expect people to want to focus on literally telling the story as opposed to experiencing it.

>GM said it was like Traveller but with wagons
Player expectations are important. Good GMs should try to make hype match reality.

>telling the story as opposed to experiencing it
Sounds like you take turns, depending who had stuff happen to them.

Do you rotate GMs? Maybe it was a cry for help from your eternalGM

Yeah, I think I'll skip on this game, then. It seems like it was written by a GM who wanted to play, so he had to write a system in an elaborate ploy to trick his players into doing most of the work for him.

Problem is, it doesn't really give you an idea about that, if I remember well. No suggestion whatsoever.

Dont' get me wrong, I have no qualms about jap rpgs and even less about players input - I'm an AW fag. But Ryuutama seemed really generic shit that doesn't even try to do what it wants to do.

Yah my group rotates GMs. This was a side thing with another buddy wanting to try out this new game that he found.

Apparently he was told it was like Traveller but with wagons but I wouldn't put it past him to lie about that.

Also taking turns doesn't fix the problem of scaling and sheer volume of shit that happens. Maybe they were thinking that in a single day players would just come up and talk out a whole adventure right there or something? I really have no idea what they were thinking.

The combat system they came up with had some pretty cool stuff though.

Yeah, either that or a group who freeforms on web boards all the time so they want something that is vaguely more crunchy.

Can...can we just make a Ryuutama thread and share pics? I need some for...science.

TFW the splat for running Meikyuu Kingdom on a bigger map is ridiculously expensive.

>There are tons of GURPS anime/light novel inspired splat books that you'll never get to read

Life is suffering.

>Failure means you lose half your health for that day.
>Then the book says "make up what happened!"
Yes, so you don't just ignore what that HP loss means in-character. Just like you would describe an attack in D&D.

>offloads a lot of the world building
Group activity, but not necessary until a few sessions in.

>and daily encounters
There's a GM sheet for that. No player input necessary.

>Also the players are supposed to draw the map and write the daily journal which is more stuff that just feels really icky.
Why does it feel icky for players to do what PCs would naturally do? They can buy a map if they want. Then they don't have to draw it. But they can't exactly buy a pre-written journal.

>like Traveller but with wagons
No, it's not bloody Oregon Trail. You don't die of dysentery.
I haven't actually read or played Traveller, but from what I've read about it, that can't possibly be anywhere near accurate. Not to mention vehicle rules aren't even in the basic rulebook. You travel on foot.

>Problem is, it doesn't really give you an idea about that, if I remember well. No suggestion whatsoever.
The travelers are literally there to create stories(!) to feed to the seasonal dragons. It's written all over the game's mechanics and basic premise.

>But Ryuutama seemed really generic shit that doesn't even try to do what it wants to do.
It tries to do comfy travelling with just enough danger to be interesting and does it admirably. And you can tweak what it does by picking the appropriate Ryuujin.

All in all, you seem to have ignored the very first step on the players' checklist at the beginning of the book:
>Step 1: Before we embark, let’s get ready!
> Get to know what sort of game Ryuutama is. Read through the rulebook.

>so you don't just ignore what that HP loss means in-character

But it doesn't tell you what HP is in terms of "mixture of physical health and plot armor" or whatever. Also they already have a combat system so I honestly have no idea how I could lose half my health over the course of a day and make it an interesting story without involving other mechanics of the game. Also you get all your health back the next day so obviously whatever happened to me wasn't that bad since I bounced back really quick.

>Group activity, but not necessary until a few sessions in.

Are you talking about the teamwork town building? Because that was fun I liked doing that. How it broke down towns and stuff is really fun, I'm talking about the moment-to-moment, day-to-day gameplay.

>There's a GM sheet for that. No player input necessary.

Is it in the core rulebook? The GM never had any random encounters for us, just every day losing health.

>Why does it feel icky for players to do what PCs would naturally do

Because we are the ones creating the world and the terrain, which takes me out of being my character since I need to transition between "in game" and "out of game" several times over the course of a journey. It's like "where did you guys go?" and I'm like "I don't know, all that happened to me was I lost half my health which apparently isn't that big of a deal."

>that can't possibly be anywhere near accurate
Yeah I caught on to that.

>It tries to do comfy travelling
Yeah as previously stated I was lied too.

>Get to know what sort of game Ryuutama is. Read through the rulebook

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of against the idea that you gotta literally read through the book to figure out what kind of game you are playing, especially since new players already have a fuckton of reading. That being said, normally the person who ran the game should be the one who gives enough fucks to actually do this and I am beginning to doubt that he did.

Also does the book have a portion where it breaks down how the game is supposed to flow?

Like those parts where it says "GM says: blah blah blah blah, PlayerA: I failed my survival roll! Hm well today I blah blah blah blah" because going right into it that shit doesn't make any goddamn sense.

>But it doesn't tell you what HP is in terms of "mixture of physical health and plot armor" or whatever.
Page 31:
>HP is an abstract value that represents a character’s stamina and ability to take damage
>before being knocked out.

>I'm talking about the moment-to-moment, day-to-day gameplay.
Then why were you talking about world-building?

>Is it in the core rulebook?
Scenario Cultivation Sheet and Event Sheet, pages 234 and 235 of the pdf.
Failed travel checks do not have to be random encounters. They can be eating bad mushrooms, falling into a pit, getting the crap scared out of you, having a terrible fight with a friend, getting kicked in the head by a mule, etc., etc.

>Because we are the ones creating the world and the terrain
Uh, no? You are definitely not?
Drawing something on a map does not make that thing spontaneously materialise in the world. I don't know about you, but I usually make a map of places I have been to, not of places I will go to.

>"I don't know, all that happened to me was I lost half my health which apparently isn't that big of a deal."
That is because you ignored the first half of page 103.
>While, yes, they are a series of static, rules-based die rolls, Journey Checks
>should immediately prompt role-playing and potentially create new twists in
>the story. Don’t let them become a rote chore that silences the players and just
>produces numeric results. See the examples in the Replays for insight into simple
>narration of journey check results.

>the person who ran the game should be the one who gives enough fucks to actually do this
The first point on the GM's checklist is exactly the same.

>Also does the book have a portion where it breaks down how the game is supposed to flow?
As page 103 states, yes. Two or three pages at the end of each Book except Winter.
The Book of Autumn also has two intro scenarios that are designed to introduce all rule elements to the players and the GM step-by-step.

>HP is an abstract value that represents a character’s stamina and ability to take damage
>before being knocked out.

So the problem is how the healing is done though. Like, in any other game I can measure how badly I got fucked up based on other things that do dmg and how hard it is to heal up.

In this I can lose half my health and then it'll all be better the next day without any magical stuff. That's what I mean when I say it doesn't tell you what the hell HP is. The entire system seems to not agree on what HP is.

>Then why were you talking about world-building?
Because those day-to-day, moment-to-moment gameplay things are vital to building the world. If anything they are the only part of the world that actually matters.

In terms of the failed checks, the problem I have with those things is just how tedious and pointless it all feels. You do these checks, something happens, and the next day its like it all never happened. It's all so detached from me the player actually doing anything that it just feels like busywork.

This might have been another thing where the DM misread the rules or something because he was like "ok here are the two boxes you traversed, go ahead and draw a line between them of the journey you made."

Then the GM definitely should have read that shit because he was just like "have at it." Also I feel that the game doesn't give a lot of support mechanically to enforcing a tale being made as the players proceed. (See again "everything is fine the next day"). The mechanics aren't enforcing the idea of telling a story, the book is telling you to tell a story.

I'm afraid I don't understand your problem with HP. It's an abstraction, a game mechanic, a role-playing prompt.
How is recovering up to half of your HP with a good night's rest a problem? Any game with HP attrition I know does something similar. Can you point out a particular instance where you feel that the system does not agree on what HP is?

>Because those day-to-day, moment-to-moment gameplay things are vital to building the world.
Yeah. And why is it problem that players do day-to-day, moment-to-moment gameplay things?

>You do these checks, something happens, and the next day its like it all never happened.
Assuming nothing else happens that day to reduce your HP further, because usually you only double your current HP when making camp.
Also, having only half or your HP is quite a big thing during that day. Except if absolutely nothing happens that day, in which case you're not playing the game. The GM is just not letting you play the game.

>"ok here are the two boxes you traversed, go ahead and draw a line between them of the journey you made."
I have no idea what that is even supposed to mean in the context of Ryuutama.

>enforcing a tale being made as the players proceed
That should not be necessary, because it's the basic core premise of the game.
If you do not want feelgood travel stories, why are you even playing this game?

Games that I play with sleep-healing will take longer the more severe the wounds are or healing in general takes a long time.

And the particular instance is the whole "sleep heals you to full." So now you need to make sure that whatever happens to you that makes you lose half your health (which seems pretty severe to me) is also something that can be cured with a night's sleep.

Also do battle wounds heal overnight as well?

>do day-to-day, moment-to-moment gameplay things
I have no idea if you are purposely being obtuse here. My problem is that the players are responsible for building the world moment-to-moment and day-to-day to a degree that other games do not and I don't understand why they would require players to do that.

> Except if absolutely nothing happens that day
Wait so is the GM supposed to have daily encounters?

>I have no idea what that is even supposed to mean in the context of Ryuutama.
...because the players draw the map...this is another thing that might be the GM's fault for not describing the setting as we travel but yeah we were expected to come up with the land that we traversed.

>because it's the basic core premise of the game
I find the core premise of "This game doesn't set you up to tell stories, it tells you to tell stories" to be incredibly silly. It's not setting up scenarios and interactions that naturally allow stories to develop, it's giving a vague system and saying "tell stories with this."

I tried to like Ryuutama, but it tries so hard to be saccharine that it comes across as psychotic. Like that old lady who used to smile at you "nicely" but clearly hated all children to death.

There's a Japan-exclusive Call of Cthulhu book called "Hiezan Enjou" (The Burning of Mt Hiei), that's set in the sengoku era of Japan and focuses around the time of Oda Nobunaga.

It's pretty interesting, the titular adventure focuses on Nobunaga's attack on Mt. Hiei and presents a number of different Mythos related reasons as to why it happened or tying various historical personages to creepy cultish activities in various ways. Giving a lot of customizability to the main adventure, and gives new rules and advice to play a whole "Cthulhu Sengoku Japan" campaign setting, with new skills, careers, equipment, and including a whole bestiary with some Japanese creatures as Mythos creatures and existing Mythos monsters as the ancient Japanese would see them.

It does some weird, very not CoC-esque things as well, however. Like magic that DOESN'T eventually drive you insane and a fucking ki powers system that lets PCs have virtual superpowers at no cost to their SAN, rules that would feel more at home in BRP and Runequest. Though feeling very out of place for Call of Cthulhu, they're great resources for running a BRP Fantasy Sengoku Japan campaign.

>Games that I play with sleep-healing will take longer the more severe the wounds
As does Ryuutama.
If you have only 1 HP, you recover only 1 HP.
If you have only 2 HP, you recover only 2 HP.
If you still have half of your HP, you can recover half of your HP.

Battle wounds that go beyond minor cuts and bruises are represented by status effects that require either magical/medical attention or a good enough Condition roll to go away.

>the players are responsible for building the world moment-to-moment and day-to-day to a degree that other games do not
No, they're not. Any exceptional world-building they do is between sessions during Town and World Creation. The moment-to-moment stuff is no more than in Apoclypse World.

>Wait so is the GM supposed to have daily encounters?
Yes, of course. Just going through travel checks without anything else is something the book very explicitly tells you not to do. It does that twice on the same page, because it's so bloody important.

>we were expected to come up with the land that we traversed
No. The GM comes up with the land you traverse and describes it to you and you merely record where you've been. How else would you draw a map? And I was confused about "boxes" because we didn't bother to use the map sheet.

>the core premise of "This game doesn't set you up to tell stories, it tells you to tell stories"
No, the core premise is "The world was created by the Seasonal Dragons. Seasonal Dragons live off of stories that travellers experience and the Ryuujin record."
And there is such a thing as an emergent story. Every game of D&D creates a story without any explicit narrative mechanics as long as the players do not insist on eschewing all creativity and turning it into a bloody board game.

> such a thing as an emergent story

Yeah, and that happens whenever I play D&D. Whenever I play Dark Heresy. Whenever I play any roleplaying game with mechanics to describe how to interact with the game world beyond "You lost half your health today, how did it happen? But the thing needs to be something that you can heal up in a night's rest. Also losing half your health is no big deal for some reason because systems."

And it's not about narrative mechanics, it's about the core system to interact with the world. They chose an extremely gamey one and then told players to make it interesting instead of making it interesting at its heart. If they were expecting the players to make it 100% interesting on their own through roleplaying, then why even have it? It would have been better to just have an extensive list of random encounters and events to make the world feel more alive instead of just "roll some dice and make it interesting."

I feel it'd be like D&D having a single "fight check" at the beginning of an encounter and then saying "Based on the result of the check, describe how the battle was!"

now you are just getting defensive.
That other user already explained most about the system and i don't have much to add but it really sounds like your GM didn't know his stuff.

The GM creates the world and major towns/travel-destination with the group. Everything else is his job.
The descriptions after failed travel checks are done by the players but they are usually supposed to be short and fitting
>Argh! Must have strained my ankle while tripping over a root.
You aren't supposed to describe the entire days journey based on it.

In regards to mapping let's remeber what was said earlier the world is created before play begins and towns are created when you visit them. The GM must still describe the landscape, landmarks and he must come up with ways to keep the journey interesting. He can't just give you a map and tell you to draw randomly.

Now, regarding the Ryuujin. While they are very powerfull creatures, they aren't part of the group but rather a sort of observer and guide for the players.

They are NOT meant to railroad the players along a specific path. They are a personification of the campaign you are planning to run.

The most interesting part are their abilities. In a way, they have the power to "fudge" in all sorts of ways. That means they can help the players in a fight they are about to lose, give them advice if they are stuck or even help enemies to flee and make challenges more difficult if the players have it too easy. These powers are called "Bénédiction" and they are limited in their uses. This is such an awesome idea to help new DMs and the main reason why I can't stop shilling this system.

Many new DMs struggle with balancing the challange for their players. They'll make it to easy or too hard and then make everything worse trying to fix it. That is just not a problem here. remember that the author initially came up with this game to teach new players and GMs about roleplaying

>now you are just getting defensive.
wut

> the author initially came up with this game to teach new players and GMs about roleplaying

I see what he's going for but disagree with his methods.

>Whenever I play any roleplaying game with mechanics to describe how to interact with the game world beyond
You mean such as Ryuutama's rules for checks, class abilities, combat, magic, gear, etc.?

>You lost half your health today, how did it happen?
Half your HP, they're not meat points.

>But the thing needs to be something that you can heal up in a night's rest.
Easy, as long as it's not a bigger wound and those are status effects anyway.

>Also losing half your health is no big deal for some reason because systems
As in various other systems, such as most incarnations of D&D.

>I feel it'd be like D&D having a single "fight check" at the beginning of an encounter and then saying "Based on the result of the check, describe how the battle was!"
It's actually like D&D having a single "initiative check" at the beginning of an encounter and then saying "Based on the result of the check, describe why you're the last to act instead of just shrugging and not thinking about what it means."

Wait, what? Korea has a TRPG industry now? My Korean friend told me there wasn't a market! Got any more info?

There's also DoubleXCross, which had the advantage of a relatively early, high-quality English release. It's kind of a dark superhero game where the focus is on trying to fight the bad guys without becoming alienated from your human friends.

They probably saw there was one in Japan that was getting international attention so decided to pump out a bunch of shit to pretend they have one, too.

It involved the spaceship Nostromo being stalked by the xenomorph, except instead of Ripley, it was a cute crossdressing trap, a robot maid and a blind catgirl.

It ended with the xenomorph being so confused and frustrated it spaced itself.

Maid is fucking perfect for gaming while smashed drunk.

>As in various other systems, such as most incarnations of D&D.

The only reason losing half your health is not a big deal in D&D is because of magical healing.

>It's actually like D&D having a single "initiative check" at the beginning of an encounter and then saying

I really don't think so. Somebody was just quicker to the draw, shit happens, you don't need an explanation for why it happened nor does the system ask you to come up with one nor do you need one to make it interesting.

Losing half your health feels like it should be a pretty big deal. I mean, something happened to you that left you halfway to passing out and the game says "come up with a story about it!" If they want to set up scenarios where stories are being told, why not just have a big list of random encounters?

You mean Double Cross? The game with a shoddy and not proofread translation, multiple incomplete errata, horrible layout and a complete lack of organization?

Yeah, there's a ton of cool stuff that's just not accessible because of the language barrier. Pretty much every early 80s robot anime got chit and board wargames made for them which I will likely never play.

>The only reason losing half your health is not a big deal in D&D is because of magical healing.
And because you can recover the lost health in a night's rest.
Ryuutama happens to have magical healing, too.

>Losing half your health feels like it should be a pretty big deal.
To your character it is. So figure out what would be a big deal to your character.
HP determines how much you can take before you're knocked out.
How about rolling around in a patch of poison ivy? A rash like that seems about right for making everything else that day seem twice as bad.
How about falling off a tree you climbed to get your bearings? After that impact, you're not quite fit for the rest of the day.
How about constantly seeing ghostly apparitions in the dark woods? You can't take much more stress or you'll faint.

>If they want to set up scenarios where stories are being told, why not just have a big list of random encounters?
Because random encounters and coherent stories tend to be somewhat antithetical. It's much easier to come up with something interesting that makes sense in the fiction with a tiny bit of creativitly.

>The only reason losing half your health is not a big deal in D&D is because of magical healing.
The only difference between having 1/50 and 50/50 HP is that you are closer to dying. You don't suffer any drawbacks.
>regarding ini: I really don't think so.
Yeah well, gotta agree wth you on this one and disagree with his example. That really doesn't translate well between systems. Failing and describing a travel check is more like flavor text that describes the scenery. Instead of just rolling the check and that's it you are supposed to describe it and play it out a little. This happens before or after the GM describes the landscape and helps setting the scenery and how you play your characters mood.
Then, the daily "events" that the GM planned will happen. Remember, usually you only travel 1-3 days in a row, until you reach the next city or location, where you spend more time for a change of pace.

Combat works much simpler and with much less description. You only have to describe how you use the "objects" to get a bonus

Again, I don't know your GM did run the game and how many sessions you played. Here's some sample adventure that you might want to have a look at.
kotohi.com/ryuutama/rt_data/ryuutama_scenario_granville_road.pdf

sorry in advance to everyone who reads this, my engrish/spelling gets much worse when I'm drunk

>And because you can recover the lost health in a night's rest

Depends on what level you are iirc. It has to do with hit dice and shit.

>To your character it is. So figure out what would be a big deal to your character.
But it's not a pretty big deal, because that'll get patched up with a good night's rest. Also see how your descriptions are including aspects of the environment and world building? On a personal note is that those things feel really really really boring and kind of pointless to include unless you want gritty realism (which feels counter-productive to the game's "comfy" sensibilities)

>Because random encounters and coherent stories tend to be somewhat antithetical

Not at all. Especially when compared to "come up with something on the spot." I found that they make the experience a lot more engaging even if it is something as simple as "you find a strange flower" and just let things roll from there.

> It's much easier to come up with something interesting

Definitely not at all, especially with new players in my experience. Improv isn't for everybody and even then they will ask for a prompt.

>The only difference between having 1/50 and 50/50 HP is that you are closer to dying. You don't suffer any drawbacks

Yeah but that shit takes a while to heal up unless you have magical healing.

I hear yah on the travel check thing but I still really don't like the concept since I feel it adds a sense of danger/grit to the day-to-day journey that seems to conflict with the overall tone the game wants to go for. I also still don't like the concept of "now describe what happened to you!" It feels like busy work when there could have just been a random encounter that I feel could provide a lot more.

It adds danger to travel because that is supposed to be the biggest challange in the game. You should think about it like combat in other RPGs.
Are the characters prepared and up for the task? It will probably go well.
Are they not? Bad idea...

>I also still don't like the concept of "now describe what happened to you!"
I understand what you mean but describing this should only happen when you fuck up and even then it doesn't need to be longer then necessary. One short sentence is all you need, strain your ankle four times in a row if you must.
A longer more detailed description once in a while might be a nice inspiration for the GM but it is hardly necessary every time, especially with about four players.

>strain your ankle four times in a row if you must.

Yeah we did this a lot. I think the big problem was that the GM didn't read the book or something because we had pretty much nothing happen to us nor any sense of the world through descriptions.

>Depends on what level you are iirc. It has to do with hit dice and shit.
4e lets you recover all HP and Surges.
5e lets you recover all HP and half of your Hit Dice.

>But it's not a pretty big deal, because that'll get patched up with a good night's rest.
So? What does the former have to do with the latter?

>Also see how your descriptions are including aspects of the environment and world building?
Yes, because that's how good descriptions work.

>kind of pointless to include unless you want gritty realism (which feels counter-productive to the game's "comfy" sensibilities)
What does that have to do with gritty realism? The "comfy" aspect of the game is about appreciating the little things. It's not about big heroes doing great heroic stuff, it's about a bunch of villagers going on a trip. It's about the little joys and about the little annoyances.

>I feel it adds a sense of danger/grit to the day-to-day journey that seems to conflict with the overall tone the game wants to go for.
No. Travelling is not safe. Comfy does not mean "all rainbows and sunshine". It's also about sticking together through adversity. But since the characters are not battle-hardened adventurers, the adversity isn't snarling beasts. It's the mundane dangers of travelling.

>I also still don't like the concept of "now describe what happened to you!"
Actually, it's "Now the GM describes what happened to you unless they ask you or you have a good suggestion."

>Actually, it's "Now the GM describes what happened to you unless they ask you or you have a good suggestion."
Eh, depends on how you play it. I let my players describe it all the time but as I said, a short idea is enough.

Tenra Bansho Zero is definitely the tightest shit.

And is also dead as a fucking door nail as the translator went Awol last year due to health issues and didn't bring anyone in to pick up the slack?

Yeah I'm a bit miffed at that because the game itself is fun as hell.

>this sentence literally applies to everything Korea did since the 1950's

Yeah, I was just pointing out that the players do not have to do it by default.

Eh, I've grown somewhat disillusioned with the game itself, but yeah.
Fucking up the initial translation and then tying up the license without anyone to work on it was a massive dick move.

What's more appaling is there's what? One book left that deals with the UGN that we'll never see?

It's like what happened to Anima on a smaller scale.

I guess the real question then is anyone fan translating the UGN book?

Acutally, there's a metric fuckton of setting books.

Oh and thank you for not answering my complaints about the localization with "Oh, it's not THAT bad."

It is pretty bad to be honest before it died the writer was basically retranslating the core.

Fair point.

What's this game about?

And I've seen the preview of the new power blocks that utterly fail to address any of the reasons his original design is a complete failure.

I would like to know what is actualy up with him though. Is he dead or something?

He might be dead for all w know, last update on the ver blue page said

"It pains me to make this decision, but due to an ongoing struggle with my health and well-being, progress on this project has simply fallen to the sidelines."

As long as he doesn't release the license so someone competent can work on the game instead, I'd prefer him to be.

>fucken' Maid

What happened to the "Ryuutama is shit" user?
I'm still waiting for him to refute my last answer.

We wants them, my precious. We wants them all...

Realized he was just butthurt about a bad DM.

That was some insanely persistent butthurt, considering how long he tried to blame the system.

There is a shocking amount of Japanese RPG material that will never ever be scanned, much less translated. Take for instance most of the Nechronica books. I even remember one user posting a picture of a Madoka TORG book from C88.

Where do you think you are right now?

Mmmm~

eeeh, dunno I can relate to that. A bad GM can ruin your feelings towards a game pretty badly. I mean, judging by his post, that one was pretty bad.

It doesn't really get much worse than a GM who doesn't even bother to read the rulebook.