What've You Been Working On?

What are you working on currently? A thread for original content.

Been working on a new game? Cobbling together a campaign? Designing new maps? Drawing your character? Go ahead and share them here!

Other urls found in this thread:

beyondthepalerpg.tumblr.com/
thespectacularspider-girl.tumblr.com/
docs.google.com/document/d/1vDkR89xsd_Bj48hDLjBFIPcqDPHjOyzRmSGt0B7RpkY/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Vampire: The Masquerade game

Radio drama

Hoping to get back on my card game.

I've been fooling around with making a character sheet for Stars Without Number in Google Docs. I've got it mostly blocked out, just need to plug in a bunch of formulas to automate it. Ideally I'll have vehicle, spacecraft, and faction sheets finished as well before I start the game up.

Split time between rewriting DnD5e into a Sci-Fi-Fantasy campaign only the dead are free from suffering, and a Hyborian-style Dark Fantasy setting.

Progressive sci-fi skirmish game about delving through ancient alien ruins and finding treasure.

A Mini Six setting that involves anthropomorphic kemono cats piloting airships to discover floating landmasses and fight sky pirates.

I've been working on designing a monster for the group to encounter in an underground cave. What I've got is like an living cave cleaning system that was left over by the previous settlers of the area that they used to clear out cave systems of lesser creatures that eventually got released on some of the cave workers and is now possessed by all their souls. Think like a living wave of lava full of ghosts.

Making a post-apocalyptic-ish fantasy game with a bunch of Civilizations and Giant Guinea pigs as cattle. Helps when you're job is extra shitty and need something to think about.

Developing an urban fantasy, gothic noir style RPG. Been working on it for the better part of a year.

beyondthepalerpg.tumblr.com/

I'm actually holding an AMA about it now on my blog.
thespectacularspider-girl.tumblr.com/

Well shit, that's an ambitious project. The setting (or at least the bare-bones I've read of it in the last five minutes) is interesting, the core resolution mechanic is simple enough. I like it so far.

On a less important note, I like the in-universe explanation for why different bestiary illustrations are in different art styles. That's a practical idea that takes what could be a downside (with the art style differing drastically between entries) and turns it into a nifty little quirk of the setting. Clever.

Way to work with what you've got man. A zero-budget fully illustrated RPG has got to be a pain in the ass to get off the ground, but it looks like you're doing it. And kudos to the artists that have contributed so far.

Aw, thanks! Yeah, been difficult but I'm hoping that will change with more exposure. But I'm doing this to prove something to myself and because I want to provide something enjoyable to people.

If anyone wants to pop over and ask some questions don't hesitate!

Currently working on a early sci-fi campaign as well as toying around with the idea of making a setting based on electro-swing.

Creating an RPG/board game hybrid loosely based on State Of Decay.

>working on
>FFT overhaul vidya hack
>my d20 fantasy heart breaker. Designed to be Compatible with pf adventures and monsters, but completely different on the character side.
>a gurps campaign for medium magic medieval fantasy with built in spell creation rules.

Just started working on a potential Call of Cthulhu campaign for some friends. Starting point was no existing mythos monsters (to nerf OOC knowledge and because I'm tired of all the goddamn tentacles), and a sprinkling of influence from Arthur C. Clarke. I ended up pretty solidly nailing down my antagonists, at least.

The idea is that it's about the year 2500, and the Solar System has been colonized Cowboy Bebop-style via stable warp tunnels. Outside exploration has been tried, but generally in secret, and never successfully. One early generation ship sent out around 2300 got tangled up in Serious Mythos Bullshit. The crew survived and adapted, in the process becoming terrible monsters in their own right, amalgamated creatures of black science and mutated flesh obscured by localized warp bubbles. The search for more advantages leads them to attack other ships and incorporate them into the hulk that was their vessel. Given the nature of space travel in a mythos galaxy, this means that their ship is essentially a huge clusterfuck of asteroids, mega-structures, gross H.R. Geiger tech, and the dead or dying husks of outer beings.

And then some poor fucks in a merchant hauler go way off course when their warp tunnel fails, and meet the horrid thing in interstellar space. Have fun.

Sounds neat so basically a survival board game?

I've been working on Malifaux stuff for the better part of the weekend, painting and Assembling terrain for some games tomorrow.
But I also go invited to a D&D game starting next week. THe DM told us we're going to be playing as Dragons and there is talk of ascending to godhood. Having already fleshed out a few things I think I'm gonna end up playing a green dragon witch.

> I want to provide something enjoyable to people.

Ah yus, this is how you do it.

Trying to get back into personal projects rather than focusing on worldbuilding here on Veeky Forums or for the games I run.

Working on details for a Fallout inspired game for my players where they'll be working for a very ruthless and nearly sociopathic benefactor through a radio and possibly a ghoul contact.
Benefactor is a Prime Deathclaw, one of the original FEV experiments that is superintelligent and ageless

Currently working on a Ravnica setting for 5e, since it's something I've wanted to do for a long time now. I'm going to take a lot of liberty with the setting to try and make it fun, but now I'm autistically trying to divide classes between guilds that could favor them for crunch bonuses and it's a bit of a bitch.

>Made a rough draft of a Powered by the Apocalypse hack
>Wrote two different fantasy sessions for Cypher
>Prepped a pre-written Breakfast Cult session

Too bad my group doesn't care about any of that

Currently prototyping a text-based spaceship crew game played in the web browser (intended for mobile, but desktop too), with a GM able to send push notifications to players who would play throughout the day by responding to notifications with one of several options and communicating with their crewmates. I see it as a little bit like Farmville where you have to wait X minutes between actions, so you check in periodically as you go about your day. Except unlike Farmville, you might get a notification at a really awkward time because a meteorite just struck your ship.

The idea is to set up a bunch of interlocking systems over time, with hopes of getting emergent gameplay happening like SS13. But for now I'm building around the idea that a GM is giving story prompts and presenting options to the crew so it can be tailored.

The other driving idea behind it is forcing communication. So unlike in a video game where everyone can open a menu and read a status of all the ship's systems, in this you would have to be at the correct station in different parts of the ship to retrieve or input information. That means crew need to relay information back and forth.

Here's a quick example of how I see one aspect working:

>Captain gets a mission prompt from the GM along with some coordinates.
>Captain explains the mission to his crew via the ship's chatroom.
>Captain messages the Pilot to lay in coordinates and prepare to jump.
>Pilot enters the coordinates. Jump computer begins calculating a route (starts a countdown).
>Pilot tells the Engineer to prepare to jump.
>Engineer starts charging the capacitors (starts a different countdown) using the generator and managing coolant.
>Engineer contacts Pilot some time later saying they have enough power to perform a jump.
>Pilot might ask Captain for confirmation, then he performs the jump.
>GM sends the next prompt to keep the story moving.

I'm working on an urban fantasy rpg that uses a personality test to determine the core stats.

Currently working on/prepping for a mishmash of a campaign that combines Chronicles of Darkness with Exalted 3e and puts them both in a space opera setting.

I've ben working on a Player's Guide for my 5e Setting and Campaign, which should hold all the differences between Vanilla 5e and my campaign
It also includes all of my homebrew classes/races, and the items I created

Been working on a one-off session of fantasycraft to see if I can get my friends into it. Decided that, rather than making them go through theprocess of character creation I had them give me ideas for a character and I worked from there (also I'm new to the system myself so going through character design helps smooth the finer rules out). As it stands we have a burglar with no dex (pretty much a mugger), an unscrupulous explorer, an alchemist, a golem priest and the trash man. No, seriously, he just straight up told me to make danny devito. I hope the dwarven fort save is high enough for eating solely garbage.

Far as setting goes I've drawn up a fairly generic set of god's and some eastern-style history. Basically there's very few adventurer's since the land is pretty safe, so these oddjob mercenaries are the only hope for a small village when their livestock start being driven mad by a curse. Not only that, a group of thieves are using the opportunity to steal an important relic from the ongoing festival in town.

Good times will hopefully be had and with any luck there'll be room/purpose for a sequel.

I'm kind of trying to make up some shooty combat rules that I'd enjoy and that wouldn't be too much of a horrible clusterfuck. I'm kinda trying to build it basing off fallout, but keeping it setting-agnostic. I'm not very satisfied with the results so far and I don't have anyone to playtest with either, but at least it's nothing more than a silly thing I picked up out of boredom.

That is a really nice character sheet user. Good work.

I loved Ravnica.

Not really. The "going out and doing shit" bits are RPG, the "building up a base" bits are... kinda like a boardgame. Only you draw everything on a big piece of paper as you go.

I'd better come up with a better explanation for all this if I ever want to market this thing, huh?

Couldn't you do something like make a grid and then print tiles? Make it sort of tower defense-ish?

I finallly got over the fact that whatever i write, someone far more talented has written it. So I write my own system and fluff using the good ideas from everywhere and considering the limitations I have (roll20 only, weekly 2h30 sessions, no deep/complex rules, final destination)

The point of the project is to have a post apocalyptic low-tech high-horror roll20 game going for months, doing atomic sessions (rewards can be had every-ish session). I plan to have solid rules using spreadsheets and boring numbers but only backend. When players have to roll, I'll check the rules and their stats and just tell which dice and threshold. My players like this kind of game (a light-but-still-solid-system feeling). If they have a bad feeling about this they can check the spreadsheets (good luck on them, there is basically 6 walls of numbers in development).

To go with the roll20 web app i'm finishing a personal website (old laptop + ubuntu serv + django) where you can check the last sessions history, NPC backstories and post personal notes on them. So they can have the website on another tab (or on their phone) while they play and do roleplay.

I also set up a teamspeak on the serv with a music soundboard addon so I can stream my music while talking, I love it.

>mfw i have to learn python, html, css almost from scratch to get a half decent django website setup

Sounds cool, any git/whatever repo available ?

Learning scripting languages is a strug man.

I've never really seen the point of doing something like that for any other reason. You gotta make something fun for people to play before anything else.

I'd like very much to run a fallout campaign in Appalachia, but I'm too lazy and intimidated by the whole process to do anything but think of new critters in the wasteland.

Let me tell you, the place feels like a roleplay-friendly Ankh-Morpork. That's why I wanna make it into something playable.

The real bitch is unix rights management
Fuck this shit

I've been pondering about a game where you build, run and protect a dungeon as a council of small dark overlords.
I was hit by a flash of nostalgia by dungeon keeper. It's still in its early stages as I'm trying to figure out how the building/roleplaying/defending phases would work, where the focus of the game should be and what rules I'd use. It could become an RPG-skirmish hybrid.

Going to be doing a few adventures in Al-Qadim for my 5e group.

A vampire the masquerade campaign where one of the factions is secretly working with the US government to develop a system using vampirism and synthetic blood to create immortality.

Hellsing Intensifies

Thanks for the validation. Nothing produced yet, early days (had the idea earlier this week) and I'm reluctant to start the actual project before locking down the scope. I just want to build a Minimum Viable Product so I can play with some friends to test assumptions and make sure the idea is actually fun. I've shared my notes with 3 or 4 different people so far and got some positive feedback and more ideas, but vague ideas and plans aren't the same as a spec.

I have started building some demos this weekend to figure out how I want to handle push notifications and serviceworkers. All going smoothly, can't see any flaws with this approach. I realised that I could create a "Notifiable" interface and let the user choose their notification preferences too, so SMS (twilio) and email (mailjet) are options I want to implement too.

I will put anything I do on GitHub eventually, but it's got all my personal details on so don't want to share it publicly. Here's a temp forwarder, drop me an email if you wanna see my full set of notes or send me your ideas: [email protected]

Pls, I need concrete ideas not these vague scribbles in my notebook.

My first thought too.

I've got two homebrew projects in the works that I revisited after two or three years of not touching them.

The first one was an attempt at writing a Mega Man X tabletop RPG. I've since scrapped the Mega Man X part and have decided to make it original donut steel robots vs other robots soft scifi. The second project began as an attempt to update Star Wars RPG Saga Edition with D&D 5e's rules, but I'm changing it to an original space fantasy setting that includes cybernetics, psionics, magic, and robots. I might end up combining them into one project with the way things are going.

My main issue is that I'm just not satisfied with the resolution mechanics. I'm tempted to go with 3d6 for that sweet sweet bell curve, but I've been playing D&D in one form or another since 1995, so my brain feels like it's hard-wired to think in d20. I think I need to break out of that mindset by reading and playing some non-d20 games.

A savage worlds rippers campaign. Not sure what the overall campaign will be, but it's set in an idyllic country village with the lodge leader being a peppery old ex-colonel from the Anglo Zulu and boer war. The tone is going to be pretty grim dark (I'm a sucker for a small resistance desperately struggling against a overwhelming force in a shadow war).

>dividing classes between guilds
Don't do this. Flavortext related.

never heard of this before. I might look into it

A generic campaign and setting. I'm trying to keep it loose but coming up with adventure hooks and making the world seem "real enough" to me is really, really hard. It'll never see the light of day at this rate.

What I'd do in that user's shoes is, for each class, make a one or two alternate subclasses for each class that flavorfully connect with a particular guild, but note that most classes could fit in any guild and note what other guilds particular existing subclasses would be appropriate for.

>Couldn't you do something like make a grid and then print tiles? Make it sort of tower defense-ish?

Definitely something to try if the game itself actually turns out at all fun.

Running a post apocalyptic survival hexcrawl in the ruins of Chicago for a pretty large group using them as lab rats for the system I've been developing.

>short term
Working out my next session for my party's adventures throughout the Conan-inspired Xoth setting, gonna include some earth splitting battle and war drama

>long term
Working on an Ancient Roman setting/hack for a simple roleplaying system, along with a heroes of myth setting/hack.

A custom MTG set.

Working on a document for my setting. Fleshing out races and locations and such. I haven't done much creative writing in the past few years, so I'm struggling to get past the outline stage and into the paragraph format I want.

The night sky for my setting

And the images that the people looking up at them would find

okay, you may have gone a little too far with the worldbuilding

In the words of a famous, not entirely wise guy skipping school:
"You can never go too far"

Been working on a design for my half-elf barbarian for a DnD 5e game. Still have a lot of detail work to do, but I'm digging it so far.

Struggling to come up with challenges other than fights to give to my players for UN-backed supers game.

I had them draw a country out of a hat and roll up their character based on that. Even threw some weirdo shit like Gorilla City, Atlantis and the moon. Sadly nobody drew anything weirder than Finland but it's all good.

I threw some skill challenges at them, and they either didn't like them (putting war profiteering super villains on trial, negotiating peace treaties), struggled (infiltrating super villain auction), or aced them with barley a roll (starving nation instantly fed by santa's son using Chrismas Magic to make every family a Christmas roast + cookies and milk in the twinkle of an eye).

On the other hand the 2 combat monkies like big fights a lot, and everyone is just pleased to role play and enjoy the humor of stuff like Sasquatch actually being a climate change activist. But I feel like it's gonna get real stale real quick if it's just fights and everyone laughing at the se two ranger being disappointed in the lack of posing and special-attack-declarations of his teammates.

I'm also getting no really interested in running Star Wars again, either EotE or the rebel one in time for rogue one

Trying to salvage a group that has, because of my idiocy, gone full Monty Haul, at least long enough to end the campaign.

Been working on two different game systems at the moment; one is a Mindscape-type setting where people have to fight all sorts of weird shit like the manifested madness of the human race, the other is a more low-key super power game where the only super power is physical self-enhancement, but taken to the logical conclusion in terms of what, with Physics, would actually occur.

Practicing Drawing and Painting for the aforementioned stuff.

That's pretty cool. Do different nations see different objects in the constellations?

I should look into this I guess then!

A homebrew system that i like to call....
ROLL PLAYING GAINS
It mashes exercise and rpgs together in an unholy fashion to turn those big hambreats of fa/tg/uys into sculpted pecs belongong to fi/tg/uys.
About 70% done right now.
Plan to drop it here on tg once its done, since i get the impression most of us would be the ones who need it the most.

Oh no, I am not limiting the classes to particular guilds, I've been doing what suggested. Azorious paladins, for example, will be able to stall, detain and 'arrest' stuff a lot, but a paladin could very well work wih the Izzet if they so wished.

Cleaning up my totally-not-MGS-1 scenario for the D&D group.

Trying to write another one for the same group, and come up with more of a social / intrigue in the huge megalopolis related plot and challenges that the two previous one that were pure monster bashing with a bit of infiltration.

Writing is hard :/

wow, that actually looks it might be pretty fun.

how far are you into the whole thing?

>offer to GM for a Chromestrike campaign for my online group
>brainstorming it and consulting the other GM in my group was fun
>propose some quick missions before the proper start
>only when I sit down to make the maps does the sheer weight of the work I'll need to do hits me
It was genuinely intimidating me for a bit, we mostly played some rules light stuff were the actual dimensions of the map were irrelevant before, but now I need to find a balance between people's firing ranges and movement stats so the maps aren't too small or too spaced out

well me and a friend have been attempting to write a story... kinda finding out i'm rather awful at writing, but great at in depth world building and he's great at writing and making it all flow. don't know why we are doing it though... because its FUN AS FUCK! THAT'S WHY.

> hard sci-fi with soft-ish elements ( FTL and aliens, shields are a maybe atm though)

> not a " humans are the under dog " trope story while not being too HFY

> drawn a lot from history ( both of us are mad history buffs )

not sure if this belongs here

What is it exactly you've never heard of? If you mean dungeon keeper, it an old but fun and original game that's right up Veeky Forums's alley.

If you find any good city or wilderness maps for mech combat, please share, I'm looking for stuff like that for friday's combat.

I am 45,000 words into writing a novel.

Publication of my own RPG. It features a somewhat original setting and a, dare I brag, fairly state-of-the-art system. Which is why I can't share shit at the moment but work on the website will begin this week, so things are in motion.

What's it about?

types of sorbet.

drawing mappos

A multidimensional conflict between two cosmic forces that can very broadly be called good and evil, drawing from Zoroastrian and other middle eastern belief systems and myths.

I hope to make it a series of books. The first one is set in our world, so you could call it Urban Fantasy but I associate that word too much with detective wizards in trench coats. I think of it as Dark Fantasy.

It starts with a group of kids getting drafted into this war, but the plan is to follow them into adulthood and their eventual deaths.

If I had to do one of those 'it's like x, but y' comparisons, it would be like if Michael Moorcock or Dark Tower Stephen King wrote Animorphs.

So basically the Ultima series?

Link too it in a thread if you ever finish it.

Yes, so far I only have the Imperial System. I wanted to have one for the Magi, the Easterners, and the Orks. The Necromancers would reform the Magi system as a way to say "screw you" to their magic rivals.

The Elves are so attached to the Earth that they don't spend time with "star science".

The setting is going to be a novel in the future. I am a terrible writer though, so it will just be for fun

How did you do the drop shadow?

Since when was Ultima urban fantasy?

Creating a system that can handle the 2 weapon choices system of The Secret World and translating the skills from the MMO into pen and paper version.

Never played SW. What are the weapon system and skills like?

Basically you can choose 2 weapons out of 9 (melee containing blades, fists and hammers, ranged containing shotguns, assault rifles and pistols, magic containing blood magic, chaos magic and elemental magic) You can pick and choose 7 active abilities and 7 passive abilities to be on at any current time. You can buy abilities with ability points you earn with experience.

I'm trying to find a way to group up the abilities from the game so that player characters could pick bigger chunks at a time so that every session won't have 5+ different leveling up breaks.

Forgot to mention that the abilities you can use have to be connected to either one of the two weapons you have chosen.

Not the paper system user

You can also buy basically any skills with those skills points.

Like starting as a blood mage using shotguns, and later use skills related to hammers or swords, or whatever.

No classes, closest thing there is are "decks" premade combo of skills/abilities and weapons with custom appearance.

So it'd be a point buy system?

Wrote a backstory for my fighter-turned-druid just today.

docs.google.com/document/d/1vDkR89xsd_Bj48hDLjBFIPcqDPHjOyzRmSGt0B7RpkY/edit?usp=sharing

I'm officially on a break from making systems and settings, it's an unhealthy obsession to me.

>PDF related, my system

Trying to get my friends to actually show up to our ElderScrolls PnP.

I'm in the process of writing down the lore (no small feat) and fine tuning mechanics. A lot of it is getting my ideas down on paper now.

I liked secret world. Would be nice to get a pen-paper version of it.

Writing up my campaign setting for other GMs. I tried to run it myself, but it collapsed, partly because I'm not that good at GMing.
So I'm writing it up so that other people can if they want to.

It's a black border across the bottom and right side.

I just finished writing up the first, unpolished draft of a pokémon system I've been thinking up. I wanted the depth of choice and strategy of PTU but cut out the slow crunch. I'm not sure how successful I've been, as I haven't run a playtest on it yet.

To accomplish this, I've focused on three things.
>Almost all rolls are a single d6
The only exceptions will be some lategame Moves that let you roll two and keep either.
>Damage is rolled into your attack roll
One roll that determines hit chance and how hard you hit, minus a flat number for defenses.
>Low numbers only
To greatly speed up calculation.

My worry is that there's still some slowdown, because you have to decide BN, then roll, then calculate the resulting damage, then subtract defenses. I'm not quite sure how I could cut it down more without dropping mechanics.

I also had some other goals with the system besides the main objectives.
>Have a wide range of customizability, without fully sacrificing the 'identity' of individual pokémon.
Stats can be built out in any way, though Abilities and Moves will be the same.
>Have any combination of stats be a unique, at least somewhat-viable playstyle.
This mainly comes up with those that don't build any attacking stats. I decided to have their 'thing' be status moves and maneuvers, so the active part of the playstyle has them running support.
>A tradeoff between combat and noncombat prowess, with organically-growing skills
By which I mean, the more you try a Specialization, the better you get at it by learning from failure and success.
>Cut out huge lists but maintain depth of choice
Failed, so far.

For now I've decided to make the Pokédex and Abilities/Moves in a separate pdf, and if I finish them put everything together in one big file with the reference material also in their own things. I'm barely sure how exactly I'm going to handle high-power humans, so I'm putting it off for now by putting that in its own pdf as well.

Any thoughts on anything?

Working through the entire Mignolaverse to write up a campaign that will possibly run from the Gall Dennar's era in prehistoric times up through the modern age. The players will essentially be the B-team to Hellboy's A-team.

This is really cool, keep at it.

I have one thought on the whole thing: type matchups. You write "There are many charts out there for this kind of thing, and they are already spectacular. Each point of
effectiveness raises the BN by 1, and each point of resistance lowers it by 1; this is Type
Effectiveness." This is really neat, but what about critical hits? I'm not sure if you would add them or not but I do remember them being a really big deal back when I played Fire Red on GBA.

Also, it'd be neat if your players were able to customize their Pokemon. I remember /co/ had a Pokemon rarity template where people created all sorts of neat skins for the animals

I saved one somebody did for Gigalith

I'm working on my homebrew setting and game. I'm trying to decide when to make a blog and stay writing up articles about it, since that's the new thing now to get exposure.