GURPS General - /gurpsgen/

Edition Wars (lack of) Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=62539
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just finished this week's session. Normally I'm the forever GM. Last few weeks one of the players has taken the big seat. Tonight was a TPK as we ignored all hints, blundered about, and generally got in over our pay grades. In retrospect, we should have known better.

It was a fantastic session.

P.S. What ways can you think up to kill something with Unkillable 3?

>Kill something with unkillable 3

The hard way is research. You need to learn how it became beyond death, what the limits are, if it has any weakness and if there's a way to change it's nature, to remove that trait, if there's no weakness to target.

The easy way? The forever prison. You don't try to kill him at all, in fact you put him in a place where he will live out his natural lifespan without any way to kill itself. Go full SCP foundation on it.

That is kind of kicking the can down the road. If it's immortal/unageing, as most UK 3 things are going to be, then someone, someday, is going to have to figure that problem out.

Today we reached the chains that tether the flying fortress holding the ansible of sprints where we came across a blood mage and a lightning creature battling ghouls.

Our resident leader and mage deiced to help out, because anybody that hates ghouls can't be all bad. We got stuck in and killed some ghouls. The ranged-heavy group shot down most with gunfire, acid and lightning arrows.

Ghouls in this setting are filled with diethyl ether and explode when exposed to lightning, something that is objectively fucking awesome.

The two that got into close combat and dragged people down were killed before they did too much damage. The one that bit our elf got it's neck shattered by the fangs of our resident beastman, then we bandaged up and regrouped. The lightning creature proved to be a form/spell/ability of an elven woman. She and the blood mage provided a lot of interesting information that called into question assumptions about how the world works, and foreshadowed new enemies coming up.

Next time: Trying to climb. Alternately, leashing a bunch of harpies together.

>Ghouls in this setting are filled with diethyl ether and explode when exposed to lightning, something that is objectively fucking awesome.
That is the most beautiful sentence I have ever read in my life.

>someone, someday, is going to have to figure that problem out.
Hey, gotta leave something for the next campaign. There's a reason so many ancient evils were sealed away for a baker's dozen eons of dreamless sleep.

>New game is trying to fix all the things you fucked up last game.

Man, I've had characters where that could take a long time.

Go on a quest to find a Gadget/being with Affliction (Negated Advantage - Unkillable 3). Use it to strip away whatever has Unkillable 3, and then, well...kill it.

Simple 8-).

strip away Unkillable 3 from whatever has Unkillable 3*

Turn To Mortal

Spell Effects: Greater Destroy Body
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits, removes Unkillable 3

Typical Casting: Greater Destroy Body (5) + Altered Traits, removes Unkillable 3 (150/5=30) + Subject Weight, 300lbs (3) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 117 energy (39x3)

Creating charm or conditional ritual would require 132 energy.

I'd say unless you have effective skill at 18 or more it's "don't even try" territory. Even then it's better to prepare a lot of trappings, some poor guy to sacrifice and spill some of your own blood.
Also, it would be cheaper to just lower Unkillable to level 1 (87 or 102 energy)

With extra attack do you have to use hands or can you mix it up and kick or headbutt? Can you aim with one attack and shoot with the other? How about readying a weapon with one hand while you attack?

Run out of golden hind blood?

>Dat pic
>Literally my PC
Thanks, user!

If both weapons are held in hands, standard dual wield penalties apply. If one of the attack is done with something else than 2nd weapon held in any of hands, specific penalty may be applies depending on character.
And as far as I remember, you can't ready while attacking.

>How about readying a weapon with one hand while you attack?
An Attack is a maneuver, a Ready is another maneuver. The advantage specifies an additional attack only. GURPS combat has everyone take a moment ocasionally to Ready, Aim, Wait, Evaluate, or Move, just relax and take that extra second. If you really want to do all those things in a second and still have time to attack or something else, take Altered Time Rate, which gives you an additional maneuver, no strings attached. Two Concentrates, Two Aims, Evaluate then Attack, or All-Out-Attack then All-Out-Defense.

A kick is a technique that defaults at -2, unless you've bought up the technique, and the varied options, maneuvers, and advantages that give you extra attacks don't tell you to use only vanilla attacks or specific techniques, you can easily extrapolate this to mean that you can Extra Attack with a bite, kick, headbutt, throw, grapple... Just keep in mind some techniques have prerequisite maneuvers, notably the Move and Attack ones.

Okay, /gurps/. I'm trying to get my friends into the system. I'm currently running a horror adventure for them, and understandably, they want a slice of life game. How do I run slice of life in GURPS? How do I create conflict? I'd really like to introduce them to the combat rules, since that's the densest part of the system, but I can't think of any way to include it.

>How do I run slice of life in GURPS? How do I create conflict?
This is really a general question that warrants its own thread; SoL stuff is hard in nearly every system, not just GURPS. SoL is inherently a genre that, while providing ample opportunities for role-playing, really fails to deliver on the game aspect; by definition nothing really happens in SoL that isn't resolved through RP alone.

The closest things I can imagine to SoL systems are Ryuutama (which while low-key and comfy, it's still an adventure game), MAID (which is too purposefully zany to fall under SoL in my opinion), and Golden Sky Stories (which still has a built-in premise more active than "live out your daily life").

Any chance they'd be happy with another genre as long as you provide ample screentime for "downtime" roleplaying? If not, why the hell do they want a SoL RPG anyway? Can't they sit around the table pretending to be little girls eating cake without dice and a GM? Fucking freeform it oniichan~~~~

Does anyone here actually use the Critical failure tables for attack rolls?

>This is really a general question that warrants its own thread
I was afraid of that. Where's GURPS: Slice of Life when you need it?

>why the hell do they want a SoL RPG anyway
I'm pretty sure it was just hyperbole. They want a lighter tone, with less mutants maiming them.

I can get them on board with an adventure where they take it easy, but still have combat. Some sort of fantasy/post-apoc town guard, or a gang made with the original purpose of gangs in mind - policing the community when the authorities fail. A minor position of power where they'll get involved with the average person's life, make friends with them, and better peoples' lives. Finding lost animals, clearing barns and basements of dire pests, that sort of thing.

Yes. It's one of the few ways the Cheap modifier for weapons matters, aside from parrying heavy weapons and attacking the weapon itself.

In that case, you'll want Social Engineering, specificaly the parts of establishing and improving long-term relationships. Probably decent random NPC/quest generators too, unless you want to write out all of them yourself.

As for tone, here's some advice for running a comfy game.
>Low stakes. Rarely will adventures impact the fate of a kingdom, let along the world. Everything is on a more personal scale; they adventure to save their uncles farm, or to find medicine for their grandmother.

>Brighter tone. You won't run in to too many grimdark situations or NPCs. Rather, you'll be helping good people with generally happy if modest lives and some strange problems like SUDDENLY GOBLINS.

>Lack of moral ambiguity. Enemies are literal monsters, made up of solidified shadow or something similar. No orc babbies wat do, people forced to do bad things out of neccessity, or similar issues. If there are any human villains, they tend to be lone irredeemably evil masterminds rather than goons and faceless mooks

>Focus on non-combat. Be it puzzles and riddles, exploration, or friendly chats around the campfire, game time should be eated up by things other than swinging swords and casting spells. Speaking of spells, spells should do stuff other than just combat shit. In fact, they should be exceptionally weak at it. For every 2d6 fireball there need to be simple, fun, or pure flavor spells.

Maybe you could make it more focused on mystery? They're all just chilling out, but weird shit has been happening all over for some reason. Maybe they never actually get to see the weird shit first hand, or if it does, it scampers off as quickly as possible? Maybe they're just paranormal trackers.

Thanks, that'll help out a lot with adventure creation.

Time for GURPS Mysteries.

>just paranormal trackers
I wonder if I could do a ghost hunting game...

What's the tech level? Do you have access to a warp drive? What about a time machine?

Put it in suspended animation, put it on a ship, take it back to the earliest time in which there's space where YOU can survive, then remotely launch it out from the edge of the universe as early as possible and as fast as possible in a ship with no controls.

bump

I'm trying to make a more generic skill-system for GURPS, making everything into affordable wild-card skills (low enough cost that most people would have at least 2 of those, and then a handful of other, specified skills). I thought I'd just take the skill-group categories offered in the PDF of the same name, and run with those, and use a lower cost for them than with usual Wildcard skills (Very Hard x 2 instead of Very Hard x 3).

Any thoughts?

What rules should i use for a little over the top fantasy combat?

treshold magic

I'd make them more narrow if you're dropping the cost. A standard Wildcard at 8/level is broader and cheaper than 90% of talents.

where i can find those?

GURPS Thaumatology chapter 3

also don't forget to take a look at Syntatic Magic (chapter 6)

TL4 Age of Sail campaign involving piracy and low-magic shenanigans, for a group of 'veteran' RPG players who have somehow never played GURPS before.

What books should I look at, besides Low tech (and obviously base)?
It is an introductory to GURPS game, but not to RPGs in general, are there any tips or rules I should really be sure to remember or remove?

I'm also thinking more towards realism with the edges filed down, avoiding super over-the-top cinematic or super powers.

Martial Arts is always a good book to browse if you plan to have any melee combat. I assume you've read the How to be a GURPS GM book. I don't know any other supplements personally. Last Gasp would make combat even grittier and add another resource to manage.

Yes, on How to be a GURPS GM
I'll take a look at Martial arts, thanks
Never heard of Last Gasp

Last Gasp is a pyramid article I think. It basically adds Action Points that are short term FP, replacing the old FP and makes losing normal FP far more drastic. I like the idea behind it and it is supposed to add an ebb and flow to the combat as combatants only have a limited amount of AP to spend before they have to recover.

Ignore the misspelled bs answer of magic to a question about combat.

To get a better answer you have to decide what, exactly, "over the top" means. It's different for almost everybody. If you don't have a firm picture in mind maybe look through the templates in Dungeon Fantasy I and then look up the rules that govern what those allow.

In general though what makes combat over the top is high skill. If you are so fast you strike before your opponent even knows he's being attacked (high skill put to Deceptive Attack) or so string that no armor can resist you (damage high enough that killing injuries get through regardless of armor) then you are already well represented by the existing rules.

If you want leaping about and punching through mountains you'll need to skim through the Advantages section of Basic (Superjump, Walk on Air, Walk on Liquid are staples of Wuxia for example).

If you want more Kung Fu over the top then very high skill, Extra Attack, and lots of Fatigue to burn on Extra Effort in Combat get you a long way.

In addition to the above, look up Retreat and Deceptive Attack at a minimum.

While I like The Last Gasp don't use it for new to GURPS players unless you want to enforce all the memes and scare them away.

Unless they play Phoenix Command then use the long-term fatigue stuff too.

Anyone have Alternate GURPS 4?

Do you mean Pyramid 3 83? If so did you check the OP image?

"A little over the top" should be covered nicely by high point values (Broadsword-24 lets you do insane shit regardless of other cinematic rules) and standard rules/character options (Luck and Serendipity; Weapon Master, TbaM, and related skills; etc.).

>tfw making my first GURPS characters
This is pretty intimidating. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.

You did pretty good for a first time.

A couple of points though. Animal Friend is a Talent. Talents are like attribute bonuses when buying skills so your IQ is effectively 16 for the skills covered by it (Animal Handling, Falconry, Packing, Teamster, Riding, Veterinary) so you need to add 4 to each of those skill levels. Or you could lower them to the levels you have them at which would cost fewer points which you could spend elsewhere (like raising your Rifle skill).

Shotgun and Rifle default to each other at -2 so only learn one. The other can be raised from that default. That means you only have to spend 7 points to have them both at level 15.

You also only put -20 points in Disadvantages was that because you hit the limit the GM allowed or because you couldn't find any others you wanted?

Care to drop the blank character sheet? I've been looking for one for my players since GCS is something they don't want to use right away.

>Seeing an after action report about a game you GM'd
>Seeing compliments
>seeing satisfaction in the eyes of the players, anonymously
What is this feel?

Thanks a lot, user.
I see that I didn't get (or didn't properly read) how Talents are supposed to work, so that certainly helps.
Same with the skill defaults.

Is having 15 in Guns decent for a 200 point starting character? It's not the most important aspect of the character, but I'm completely new to GURPS, and I'd still want to be relevant in combat.

>You also only put -20 points in Disadvantages
I'm allowed to take down to -50 i Disadvantages, but I found most of them to be rather severe, and ill-fitting for a fairly normal character.
I was also thinking about taking Sense of Duty, but I'd have to talk with the GM about how he wants to do that.

15 isn't bad. Especially for someone who isn't a primary combatant. The only reason I really recommend higher is that guns rack up penalty really quickly (see the Speed/Range Table on page 2 of the character sheet? Every shot you take is going to be at a penalty because of range.) Here's a little analysis. Consider it the first couple of paragraphs of the syllabus to GURPS Combat 101.

If you shoot every other turn (take one turn to Aim, the next turn to fire) you'll get a +3 from the accuracy (the Acc stat) of your rifle. Ideally, after all bonuses and penalties, you want a skill level of 16. The minimum you should ever roll against should be 12 (some people say 14). At an effective skill of 16 a roll of 17 is only a normal failure rather than a critical one, only a roll of 18 is critical. Also your crit range is 3-6 instead of 3-4.

So, you're shooting every other turn against an opponent 4-5 yards away (skill 15, +3 Acc, -2 range). That's bad. At that distance your target will run up, grab your rifle, then beat you to death with it.

If your skill was 5 higher you'd be shooting every other turn against an opponent 20-30 yards away (skill 20, +3 Acc, -7 range). You would get to shoot a normal person at least twice before he could get in your face. That will almost certainly kill normal people and seriously hinder the very badass.

If you can get your skill to 22 you can do the above plus hit them in the vitals for 3x damage! Or shoot every turn at 16-20 distant opponents.

The thing I notice, by the way... is that the character seems to be TL4... but using guns that look exceedingly better than what is available at TL4... I say this because you mention shooting every other turn... when in my recollection *the best* TL4 guns take something like 20 turns to reload.

Nah, there are TL4 rifles which reloads in 5 turns with pre-packed ball-and-powder cartridges, not including fast-draw.
Still not "every other turn", but a lot faster than 20. Unless of course you carry multiple pre-loaded weapons.

Oh yeah. If you get your Rifle skill to 20 you get shotgun skill at 18 for free. Zero points spent on it. Shotgun == Rifle-2. For free because they are so similar in operation and usage.

It's worth narrowing your focus in my opinion. It doesn't really hinder your capabilities much (see the RoF stat for the shotgun? That says either 9 or 18 pellets are flying out the end of the thing on your turn. That's a +2 or a +4 to hit depending on whether you want to use one shell or two. Makes up for the -2 from defaulting nicely.)

I didn't really look at the TL of the guns. Just the Damage, Acc, RoF, and Shots.

I assumed he recorded them correctly or got the OK from his GM to have them if they're TL5. I didn't check that. Good catch.

I know a lot of people run published settings from other games using GURPS. I tried to watch a Planescape one but couldn't get past the GM pronouncing Sigil like it rhymed with "giggle."

Ever used GURPS for Star Trek or anything like that?

That's a good question for you Mssr. Legrand. Are you TL4 (15th - 17th C.) or TL5 (18th & 19th C.)?

Thanks again, this is really helpful. I'll be sure to look over the character sheet again in the morning.
You're probably right about focusing in on some skills.

I'm in all honesty not quite sure what I was supposed to put down as my TL. We're playing a post-apoc setting (I'm just rural and sheltered), and we're allowed to pic gear up to TL8. It's just that all gear above TL4 carries a hefty penalty to price and repairs, and is assumed to be from before the apocalypse.
I'm planning to ask my GM more when I see him next, but the impression I'm getting is that most people are living in a TL4 world with TL5-8 artefacts laying around.

It's like 2050 - 2080, as far as I'm aware. 40 years or so after a nuclear apocalypse.

The chargen session is on Wednesday. I'm going to have to ask a lot of questions.

>GURPS for Star Trek
There's a series of third-party Star Trek supplements called Prime Directive. I don't know how much play they get.

Got it. You're playing After the End.

If you have more questions I and others here have more suggestions. Like about half a dozen skills you're missing (Climbing, Swimming, and Stealth at least). You definitely want to max out your allowed disadvantages. When you have time feel free to ask for suggestions (Code of Honor, Sense of Duty, etc. would probably be a good fit. Maybe a Secret or an Obsession (think anti-enemy, you're hunting him)).

Ah, cool. This is a thing I missed while reading through low-tech.
Gotcha. That's a standard feature in the After The End GURPS settin. Somehow missed it was post-apocalypse... I'd *think* you are probably TL8, but something you should clear with the GM.

You run a good game. Every time I think I know what bloodroot is I'm wrong and I fucking love it.

Quick after the end tip: For $600 you can pick up 6 pound Composite Body Armor from High Tech. It's TL 6 and has a base cost of $150, and provides 4 DR to the Torso and Groin. Not great, but the best affordable armor to start with.Low Tech armor can't get anywhere near that DR/Pound ratio, especially cheaply.

I hear its pretty shit. Its only made up of a bunch of ST stuff that Paramount doesn't own.

>Every time I think I know what bloodroot is I'm wrong and I fucking love it.
Nobody have any plant-related skills or at least Poisons? From what I hear from your play reports shit is dangerous, I'd totally try to make something to coat arrows and blades with.

Here's what I think we know so far..

Bloodroot is vines that grow though the ground pretty much though all of Old Gorath, the dark kingdom of Beastmen.

It's literally filled with blood (leeches can drink it)

Some bloodroot is processed into addictive, sweet wine, a drug used to keep slaves compliant by the people that run this place. People get FUCKED UP if they drink this stuff, seriously addicted after just a few days of exposure.

Used to think that just drinking bloodwine or from bloodroots caused black rot, a horrible corruption disease that rots people from the inside.

If what we heard this week is true though, black rot is a disease created by the Lords of Night to punish people and isn't carried by bloodroot.

The blood has power. The mage we talked to made it clear that he gets some of his abilities from drinking from bloodroot "flowers", huge, twisted masses of glowing vine that show up some places.

Lots of questions, not a whole lot of answers.

On the other hand, shotgun. A 10 gauge gives you +3 rapid fire for every round of buck and +3 aim. If you are willing to dump both barrels that's +5 that gets real hard to dodge.

You might want to take 1 point in Shotgun when defaulting from Rifle, just so your GM doesn't have any reason to give you unfamiliarity penalties when you pick up a scatter-gun. (You don't get any assumed-familiar models without a point in the skill).

GURPS shotguns can be pretty terrifying at close range, vs unarmored targets.

How do I find a group to join? I skimmed some books and have some minor understanding, but I've never actually played.

You can play online with user from here.

>If you are willing to dump both barrels
Very true. But it's 3 seconds to reload each shell so with a shotgun you really only get to do that once per combat. The rifle reloads every bit as slowly but it holds 3.5x as many shots. High Rifle skill also opens up the very real chance that he'll find something having a magazine with a higher capacity instead of an internal tube. Then he can reload everything in the same few seconds.

>take 1 point in Shotgun
That's a very good point (no pun intended).

Yeah, a whippit sawed off 10 gauge double is a very solid problem solver for when you need to kill something dead at close range but the 4 to 6 seconds to get that trick ready to go again means you'd want something else if that is what you are going to be doing in most fights.

Granted, it can also end a lot of fights.

With After The End there's a solid reason to go with Rifle, as no matter how late game you get it's never going to be obsolete by tech, and with Armory (Small Arms) you can build a pipe rifle if you have to.

The weakness is there relatively high bulk and cost, compared to other options. Rifle rounds are $10 each.

Don't worry too much if you can't get your skill to 20. Most people don't have anywhere near that and will need to spend several seconds aiming and generally miss mid ranged shots in combat situations. Unless your GM routinely throws you at bad-ass gunslingers you can get by with 14-16.

Other than the obvious benefit of being trained in the use of smallswords instead of other shortswords or batons, why would this martial art style want to use a shortsword with the Smallsword skill instead of the Shortsword skill? I can't think of a reason. The shortsword isn't a fencing weapon so you don't get the fencing parry bonus.

What's the logic on black powder grenades being TL 5? Cast iron bombs were around Europe by the mid 15th century.

From example in Martial Arts:
Weapon
Adaptation (Shortsword to Smallsword) lets you use the
Smallsword skill to fight when equipped with a Shortsword
weapon – complete with fencing parries, superior retreats,
and encumbrance penalties

Read the description of Weapon Adaptation in Martial Arts. You do get fencing parries.

There's TL 3 Paper Bombs in Low Tech that you can chuck a useful distance (with ST 10 you can throw one 15 yards) for 5d CR EX with a linked deafness and stunning. They cost $100 each, so not cheap like the $5 (!?) black powder grenades in Basic Set.

For $600 you can get a TL 3 ion bombs. These aren't throw friendly, however, as they weigh 30 pounds and give you 6dx4 [2d] cr ex damage (weirdly without deafness and stunning).

A wise man with ST 10 would not try to chuck it the max 4 yards he could achieve, as he'd be taking a asston of damage. ST 18 would let you toss it a survivable, but still likely unpleasant, 14 yards.

There's a huge gap in TL 4 grenades though.

Not sure. Possibly because the first really effective hand grenades in the modern sense were 19th century inventions. Earlier ones seem to be more like incendiaries and distraction devices than serious killing weapons due to unreliable fuses and unpredictable fragmentation effects.

At 14 yards you'd still be well within the 48 yard collateral damage zone of a 6dx4 bomb but outside the 10 yard [2d] frag area.

You'd divide the damage by 42 at 14 yards, so average damage from the blast would be 2, resisted by torso DR(why not large area attack?).

Yeah, except.. Grenadier regiments were raised in the 18th century, and the grenadier march dates to then. I'm thinking that strongly suggest that there were grenades then.

Also, there are grenades from then.

Not quite. It uses everything from the Original Series, although not character names, and then makes it slightly more militaristic. It's actually quite good and all the rules are there if you simply want to make it standard TOS. Don't take it out of the TOS setting though!

TL 5 starts around 1730, while the first recorded uses of cast-iron, burning fuse, hand-grenades seem to be late 17th century and they didn't become popular until the early 18th century. So they are late TL4, early TL5 technology.

Was there anything better than this made for Spaceships 4e?
forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=62539

I'm about to give up and just use Vehicles 3 rules instead.

For some reason I can't edit the base values of HP, Will, Per, FP, Basic Speed, or Basic move

I'd love some suggestions for skills and disadvantages.
Sense of Duty probably fits, but I'm unsure about how to handle it. My character grew up amongst farmers in the rural areas west of Grenoble (where the campaign starts), and I was thinking about having a Sense of Duty towards the farmers and rural folk of that region.

I'll also need to fix the ammo I've taken. Seems like there's some After The End rules for ammo that I didn't see.

>Somehow missed it was post-apocalypse
It's not very easy to see from the character. Which is also kind of what I'm going for.
Either way I'm changing it to TL8 until further notice.

I'm unfortunately not allowed to choose things from High Tech at character creation unless I get GM permission. He's hinted that things from High Tech (and maybe Ultra Tech) will show up later in the game, but we're not allowed to start with it.

Sense of Duty (Friends and Family) [-5] fits a trustworthy rural farmer.

Why isn't he a farmer anymore? Did raiders destroy his community (Vow and/or Obsession to hunt them down)? Did he have a rival that stole his land (Enemy, Vow, and/or Obsession)? Is he searching for a cure to some malady (Duty)? Background isn't just locality. Think about motivations and work backwards to the events that could engender those or think about events and image what effects those would have on this character.

What sort of person is he? Does he do right, damn the consequences (Honesty, Truthfulness)? Is he self-serving (Callous, Greedy, many others)?

>disadvantages
Give your GM hooks and leverage. Make it easy for him to drag you into unpleasant and dangerous situations. Heroically overcoming hardship and difficulty makes for a much better story than heroically overcoming a leisurely walk in a garden followed by a nice cup of tea.

>skills
Look at How to Be a GURPS GM, pp. 21-22 for the line editor's suggested "everyman" list of skills every adventurer should be at least minimally competent in.

>TL 5 starts in 1730

Literally none of the weapons listed as TL 5 in the book, except for those grenades, are from before 1800. It's absurd and counteriniutiative to call 1730 the start of TL 5 when the industrial revolution didn't start until properly until 1783 with Watt's first industrially useful engine, rather then a mine pump. I'd sort of love to see the logic of 1730 as the start of the industrial revolution.

The American Revolution was not a TL5 war.

bump

>Literally none of the weapons listed as TL 5 in the book, except for those grenades, are from before 1800
Open the fucking High-Tech. Muskets there go as far as 1740.

The problem is that English language uses word "musket" for most muzzleloading guns, otherwise difference between TL4 and TL5 guns would've been more apparent. Basically, TL4 musket is heavy weapon that requires musket rest to fire, while TL5 musket usually has bayonet.

I disagree with GURPS on this. A gun that is so big it needs a stand is not a musket, it's an arquebus. Musket refers to the ones that people carry around. Low-Tech calls those "fusils".

>A gun that is so big it needs a stand is not a musket, it's an arquebus
It's literally a musket. Arquebus is earlier, lighter weapon that does not requires musket rest.

That isn't even true in the Basic set

There's 3 muskets listed. Of them, the Matchlock Musket is the only one that requires a rest.

The Flintlock Musket dosn't require a rest, and could be generically considered a Long Land Pattern "Brown Bess". It's TL 4 and absolutely accepts a bayonet.

The Rifled Musket, for MAXIMUM CONFUSION, doesn't even use the Musket Skill, and could be generically considered a Springfield 1861.

>That isn't even true in the Basic set
Yeah, let's use the book that puts plate armor in TL3 as source, while ignoring more historically accurate *-Tech books.

But his point is even less true with the tech books, where generic weapons give way to explicate examples and there's very few muskets that use a rest.

TL are general guidelines and break down fast in the early modern period, where a TL starts at the first date where it's reasonable but iconic technologies and equipment of a TL might not be introduced until the mid or late point of a TL. (Almost all of the wars in TL 5 are fought with TL 4 weapon).

If you want black powder grenades in a game set in late TL 4 / After the early 18th century then just talk to your GM. Historically, you could certainly call them TL 4 without breaking anything.

Collecting equipment for a new GURPS character, especially without enough system knowledge, can be a tough task. So, I have a question - are there any equipment templates I can use?

My field of interest is a member of the modern (TL8) special forces (recon or direct action in forests and suburb). Doesn't matter what unit, since it's not a reconstruction. It can be just a reasonable heap of combat and survival gear with book sources indication, really.

There are some pyramid articles for this. I'll give the specific ones when I get back if you can't find them by then, but I gotta head out right now.

Furst, open Low-Tech. The only musket in there is a matchlock firearm that requires a rest. It's mostly corresponds with real-life weapons that were used by late medieval musketeers and Russian streltsy. Then there is a fusil - early flintlock weapon that was, according to LT, first adopted by military in late XVII century - this also checks out with history as far as I know - gun used by Russian line infantry that was established by Peter the Great was called "fuzeya" - this term was used to describe military weapons in Russia until XVIII century, when it was relegated to describe the older guns with plug bayonets, while the new terms were "mushket" and "ruzhyo" ("gun"), used interchangeably.

Now, look at High-Tech. Muskets there are all TL5 and they all are from XVIII century.

As I said, the confusion comes from the term "musket" applying to almost any muzzleloading long arm used by military in English language. There is a similar thing in Russian language, where the term "pischal" ("pipe", as in musical instrument) can refer to any pre-XVII century gunpowder weapon, be it handgonne, musket, wall gun or even a cannon.

Thanks. I can't work on character sheet right now anyway, so your help, when you'll back, would be greatly appreciated.

Pyramid 3-57

>Pyramid 3-57
Yes! Thank you very much

Here's a relatively basic template. This lacks a lot of equipment you'd really have (looking at it now, it doesn't have a GPS that would be pretty vital) but covers the basics and goes for pretty heavy armor. Realistically, the hat should be downgraded. Four days of food is plenty, if you want to go high speed low drag ditch the backpack and put a few energy bars in the web gear.

Oh! Thank you! That's really helpful!