Fallout 2k

I've been running NCR Desert Rangers for almost a year now, and they are starting to bore me
>Outrange Khans
>Can shut down Legionnaire charges
>Good armor AND speed
>Literally can't be flanked if you got Oliver on the field
>Get a fucking extra crit die from Kimball
>Can shoot down Vertibirds in a single combat phase
Can anyone recommend me a fun faction to run?

Just run the lone wanderer with Minutemen support. Very fortification heavy army with artillery and stealth suit shenanigans.

Fuck I hate these stupid "rp a fictional game that probably actually exists" threads. There's miniatures out there, there's plenty of good rulesets.

A fallout wargame doesn't exist, and the wargame figures that do exist sre rare and expensive, but use your imagination for once and have a little fun
I guess I could try them out. 4e seems to be pretty decent so far.

Enclave. It's essentially a less autistic BoS with better uniques

>A fallout wargame doesn't exist

See

>A fallout wargame doesn't exist
This is Not a Test

I've never played it, but it does exist

Granted the Brother Vinnis minis are expensive, though only about as much as minor unmounted character models were when I started playing WHFB just after the launch of 6e. Madpuppet miniatures has a couple of nice raiders, the stuff on Lead Adventure looks more old-fashioned but are cheap.

As for rules, as well as the pretty much official and aforementioned Fallout Warfare you could choose a more modern generic sci-fi ruleset such as No Stars in Sight or the sci-fi version of Fivecore, or use your imagination and convert something like Secrets of the Third Reich (sound reinforced platoon level rules but poor execution, units have a base human statline plus special rules) or Legends of the Old West which is a sturdy synthesis of the LoTR skirmish game with elements of campaign classics like Mordheim and Necromunda.

Lemme break it down for you

>NCR
Absolutely vanilla. Fun if you like rolling lots of dice, but you're better off forking into one of the specialized books like 1st Recon or the

>Legion
Like NCR but with more minis. If you want to field armies at higher point totals you'd better be prepared to paint a fuckton of barbarians in skirts. Some of the named units like the Gorgons and Hydras are good, but overall the best options make your swarm better rather than improving individual units.

>Beast Lords
Ignore. Aside from a few gimmick builds literally any army is better. If you want to use deathclaws just get the Motor City book for the Brotherhood.

>The Calculator
More fun to build than to play. You'll spend hours coming up with intricate strategies and powerful synergies, then when you actually get on the table you'll be so bogged down in complicated special rules for everything that everyone else will be on their phones waiting for you to finish moving one unit. Like beastlords, all the good options from this army are available for the BoS and Enclave anyway.

>Raiders/Tribals
A mixed bag. There are always rumors that some of them are going to be split off into their own lists (Khans, Eighties, etc), but don't hold your breath.

>The Master's Army
Fun and in the right hands very powerful, but ultimately very overcosted. Read the errata carefully if you want to run them or you'll get stomped every game.

>Brotherhood of Steel
The ultrasmurfs of the Fallout world. A great combination of protection and firepower for moderate cost, the only letdown is that they're rather bland. Since you asked what would be fun I'd avoid them.

>Enclave
If you want to paint a handful of figures and have a complete force, this is the army for you. This list packs absolutely insane damage and abilities in a small number of units with some absolutely killer uniques like suggested. The downside is losing even a few units can cost you the game.

(cont)

Most people don't bother with the add-ons, but I personally think they're a great way to bolster armies that are weak in certain areas. A few of them are functionally identical to other named uniques with the advantage of being playable with any army.

>Ghouls
See beastlords.

>Vaulters
Great way to get specific weapons or abilities on armies that don't have them natively. Best attached to existing units since if left on their own your opponent will almost always focus fire on them.

>Mercenaries
If you want to add some of the less exciting NCR troop types to your army without playing NCR, now you can.

>Robots
A less obnoxious and generally more fun alternative to The Calculator. The primary reason they knocked reduced the cap on add-ons to 20% or less of your point total

I'd do a post on uniques but someone else is going to have to handle that, I don't have the new splat for adding named heroes to your army.

I dunno, I seem to counter them well with good Legionary engine-chariot charges. Those guys are shit in CQC.

Chariots are a terrible investment. When the board is wide open they get shot to pieces, and when there's lots of terrain they lose their maneuverability. If you're so obsessed with close combat (and I don't know why you would be when the melee rules blatantly favor the defender in almost every case) you can get three maniples of veterans for the same price as a section of chariots, and they can actually use cover.

Legion is shit and will continue to be shit until they fix the movement rules. How the hell am I supposed to get the back line into battle when moving through the leftovers of the recruits at the front gives them a massive movement penalty? What's the point of fighting in waves if it creates a massive tarpit out of your own units that lets your opponent get round after round of shooting in while you struggle to close the distance?

>When the board is wide open they get shot to pieces

That is why you screen with centurions who can at least stand a few shots before going down. Rangers might have good damage, but they can only shoot so many times. Plus new errata gave the chariots overrun and an additional 2'' of movement. Theres even rumours of a 3rd edition with a Equite motorcycle cav. Ranger days are numbered bud.

Screening with anything isn't going to work until they let units interpenetrate one another like says. But people have been complaining about it for two editions and they haven't done anything about it, which indicates that they genuinely don't see an entire army being unplayable as a problem.

>Theres even rumours of a 3rd edition with a Equite motorcycle cav
Yeah, and there have been rumors about the Shi getting a splat for years. And look where that got us.

Shi is old canon my dude, Legion has been relevant from the get go. They didn't make New Vegas with the Brotherhood as a feature after all :^)

Is that second Vault Dweller supposed to be from F2?
Isn't he meant to be the best warrior of a an already physically powerful tribe? I mean that's always how I saw him. Where F1's guy was more about smarts and diplomacy, F2 was a tribal, so more muscles than brains. If anything, I would have expected F3 to be this guy, and not the 30's something he's repredented as. Hell, the LW is meant to be 18 years old when he exits the Vault.

The courrier looks weird and wayyy too young as well. He's already quite the legend before the games starts, having travelled the Divide for quite some time, gone to Utah, Montana, Circle Junction, New Reno, Vault City, Fort Abandon, and on brahmin drives at the Big Circle, knows of the BOS, and might even be a Daddy, as shown by a dialogue with the Lonesome Drifter.

>The courrier looks weird and wayyy too young as well. He's already quite the legend before the games starts, having travelled the Divide for quite some time, gone to Utah, Montana, Circle Junction, New Reno, Vault City, Fort Abandon, and on brahmin drives at the Big Circle, knows of the BOS, and might even be a Daddy, as shown by a dialogue with the Lonesome Drifter.

None of that is canon unless your choose those dialogue options, except the Divide. And that was the equivalent of the GM taking your character sheet away from you and rewriting your backstory to prepare you for twenty sessions of railroading where you listen to his DMPC yammer on for hours and hours about irrelevant bear/bullshit, until at the end you're finally allowed to kill him.

>20 sessions
LR was quick to finish man.

I stil think having a bit of a backstory was interesting, even though some of it was hard to fully understand because it was badly conveyed.

I'll be honest, LR took me a while to get through the first time. Other one was the Soerra Madre because I got too greedy and died ln that fog one too many times.

Also the vault escape was a pain in the ass

>Can shoot down Vertibirds in a single combat phase

That's not just you - thanks to the weird Armor mechanics on 4e, anyone can do that.

So could we make an actual decent Fallout wargame? TINAT seems to do a pretty good skirmish-level game, but what about larger-scale conflicts?

aside from the vault dweller (who actually has a canon depiction) it really depends how you roleplay it

>he fields Horrigan
>not the Dark Chosen
I bet you use John Henry Eden too.

The ghoul book is going to be terrible and OP. They're going to base the lore off of F4, which isn't bad, just contradicts the far better written F1 and F2, get the same weapons as everyone else, their only downside being low armor which as said, doesn't do shit anyway.

And that's on top of the stats on new factions always being a little better by design so everyone buys the minis and books.

I hope you guys have fun doing this, but it always seems sad to me: you're roleplaying that roleplaying/wargaming game exists.

It's like pretending you have friends to play pretend with, and certainly an extra level of useless. Go make the rules.

>Not playing the Chosen one as a spry Athletic sneaky type with a quick wit

MidWest Brotherhood for life, they're basically brotherhood with more variety.

>3 Paladins in PA (2xHeavy 1xEnergy)
>1 Scribe-Medic w/ Stealth
>the rest of the points in Tribal Recruits, that's aprox a dozen bodies depending on gear

Go 1x Heavy 2x Energy if your meta plays Calculator / Robots.

Tribals work the best with minimal armor and basic weapons (it's better to have more bodies). But make sure to give couple of them Automatic Shotgun. Grenades are also an option, when used point-blank. Because even when you missfire, you still hit. And Tribals will missfire a lot. Yelling Allahu Akbar optional.

Don't bother healing the Tribals, Scribe is there for Paladins. And keep in mind that even while in Stealth, you still can take Explosion / Burst damage. so don't go B2B with them when you're not actually healing.

fuck off you autist

>it seems sad that you're roleplaying on a roleplaying board

You're doing a great job roleplaying a massive faggot

Or a terrible job roleplaying a straight man, it's difficult to tell.

It's possible. I think someone tried making a ruleset some time ago, but I don't know what happened to it.

see