Wild West Campaign: Help a GM

Alright Veeky Forums its time to pull out the big guns and dust off your revolvers.

so, a long time player of mine has decided he wants to GM his first game (no longer forever GM) and he's decided to do a Wild West game where the characters are Train Robbers and Banditos.

I myself have only ever done sci-fi and fantasy so i have no experience, and no assets.

He has asked for my help in getting him started, with things like maps and character tokens but he's got the story all to himself.

tl;dr wild west music and pictures please, advice on a wild west game

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zANxbbuo-zg
mediafire.com/folder/4zg4few23p1at/Boot_Hill
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Watch Tarsem Singh's 'The Fall', use it as campaign setting inspiration.

Dogs in the Vineyard

Been waiting for a reason to post this picture.

and bump with some cowboy pics

last one

ill go check that out, and ask him to watch it

yeah, feel free to post just pics too, i just googled to find all those

Nice images, thanks.

hey, I'm still here. bump

If he's got the story then he's good.

You guys are cowboy trainrobbers.

Go do cowboy shit and rob trains.

Look up the soundtracks of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, A Fist Full of Dollars, and 3:10 to Yuma

Will it have fantasy weapons?

i just confirmed that yes he will allow slightly ridiculous weapons

Yeah-ha!

Seconding those soundtracks.
The Hateful Eight's a good one too

You might wanna check out Deadlands and/or its Reloaded cousin, pardner.

Don't worry about the supernatural stuff if you don't want it, enough trouble is caused by man alone.

>Implying it is not the most rootin', tootin' cowboyest movie.

Can't have Cowboys without racialy insensitive Indians!
Damn... the majority of my Western folder is a little too fan-servicey to be of any real help.

>Implying Sherrif Clarke wouldn't keep a mean town in line

No idea why I included you in that post.

The most important question is this setting's relation to the civil war: pre, post, or during.

It will completely change the feel of the campaign. The state or territory it takes place in will also greatly affect the feel of the western as well.

Even if you're not using GURPS, see if you can pick up a copy of the Old West splat book. It has a ton of neat historical info, and a pretty good guide on how to conduct a train robbery that is fairly system-agnostic

Look up the Montana vigilantes and Henry Plummer. Just copy that for a plot.

Villan poses as upstanding citizen/lawman but is actually running a band of cutthoat bandits

Further talks with him have revealed that we are in california, and its 5 years before the war ends.

We are using gurps i believe, and i went looking for that book last night, i couldn't find a copy, ill search the archives for a mega folder later.

Start with Boothill 3E. It's the best Wild West RPG for a beginning GM. But you can also draw on stuff like Aces & Eights RPG or the Outlaw splatbook for Rolemaster for inspiration.
Then there's Deadlands but that has fantastical elements, which I personally don't like.

youtube.com/watch?v=zANxbbuo-zg

>Boot Hill is a western-themed role-playing game designed by Brian Blume, Gary Gygax, and Don Kaye (although Kaye unexpectedly died before the game was published), and first published in 1975. Boot Hill was TSR's third role-playing game, appearing not long after Dungeons & Dragons and Empire of the Petal Throne

Resources:
mediafire.com/folder/4zg4few23p1at/Boot_Hill

>five years before the end of a four year war.

So pre war