Mtg Modern General - Competitve discussion

Decklists and prices
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

Primers
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Current Modern tier lists

2nd for possible Bloodbraid unban!

I have 1 set of the fnm promo. Should I get more? Will the hype drive it to a ridiculous price.

user, Jund is the top deck.

There is no reason to make the Jund winter. We've only just recovered from the eldrazi winter.

For what purpose?

Mardu tier 1

They should unban it as it wouldn't change a lot.

t. jund player

nerds lol

y-you too

don't be a bully

Is mardu more meme than faeries?

Faeries is a known bad deck, Mardu is a pile of good cards.

a pile of good cards dont make a good deck

>Jund

>loads of discard and removal to stop any threats then win with efficient creatures isn't a synergistic deck
jund is basically delver

jund is both
mardu isnt

>jund is basically delver
I've read some shit in my time.

I can see why he made that statement, but it isn't entirely correct.

What would jund cut for Bloodbraid elf?

Probably huntmasters or grim lava mancer if they're running them. If dredge loses meta share possibly a kalitas to the sideboard for one as well.

Dark confidants?

Who knows wether it even sluts into current Jund, Bloodbraid might spawn a more aggressive version of Jund.

>sluts
kek

The way I see it is you now have your card advantage machine. Just up the play value of your cards to max, meaning getting rid off chaff and confidants.

Bloodbraid would just replace any 4 drops you're currently running, and likely make you run enough land to run a playset. The card isn't aggressive; it's just raw goodstuff.

Should I go get a player if Bloodbraid Elf right now at $1.50? If it doesn't get unbanned no big deal but if it does,

How is Bloodbraid not aggressive?
In normal Jund, the body isn't even that relevant.
It's an incredible tempo card, hitting your opponent for 3 + playing your next card for free.
If you're not taking advantage of the tempo, then you shouldn't be playing Bloodbraid.

>arguing over bloodbraid even though its never gonna get unbanned

I agree, lets all talk about cards that currently see play and that will never change. We'll start with Splinter Twin.

Please unban Dark Depths he dindu nuffin!

I'd be ok with that if they made Wasteland modern legal

>wanting turn 2 Marit Lages to infest modern
Why on hearth

Should a combo deck for this be running serum visions or painful truths? Or both, and what would be a good split?

Painful truths, as it's standard legal.

Turn 3 kill on a dream hand is slower than infect.

Slightly updated RDW added 4 Chinese leyline of punishment to sideboard along with 4 smash to smithereens sorry for the glare in the image

>t1 dark depths
>t2 urborg -> hexmage

it's just as fast. if they unbanned chrome mox, it'd be faster.

What's up all the MtF transsexuals playing magic?

Yeah but now you're a flimsy combo deck.

flimsy? the only way to interact with it is ghost quarter and deflecting palm. ghost quarter is solved with pithing needle and/or loam. palm is solved with iok/thoughtseize/duress.

well I'm glad they make decks for the braindead

what is path to exile?
what is iok, thoughtseize?
what is narcomoeaba?
what is ornithopter?

anyways, that aint happening because t1 combos in modern is against the rules

T. A real magic player

(You)

this miles rodriguez looks like a dickhead and plays burn

i hope fat nelson shows him the door

Miles is fine as fuck. I want to smell his dick.

Fatass lost hahahaha

Motherfucker takes forever to turn a swiftspear sideways

Still not convinced that they will actually unban this unless they ban another card in Jund in return. Any guesses on what would be banned? Liliana?

>what is not of this world
>what is "nonland card"
>what is rite of consumption
>what is abrupt decay

I know it wouldn't happen, I'm just pointing out how retarded it would be if it did. some other user said it was ok to come off.

Thoughtseize, lightning bolt and abrupt decay are the best card in the deck. Liliana isn't that big of an issue.

i know. just agreeing with you that it's too retarded for modern, but pointing out that ghost quarter is not the only way to interact with it

Can't see them banning such a high cost card given the impact it may have on stores, not without good reason anyway. Maybe maelstrom pulse since it's a decent answer to everything, but most decks aren't running that many. I can't really see why they'd unban BBE anyway.

I was thinking cards that don't also affect other decks that much.

Jund is a good stuff deck. All of their cards are played in others.

Nooooooo miles lost.

>Mana Leaking the Kalitas when you have Celestial Purge in hand

>tfw

I hope those fucks who told me painful truths isn't played in jund saw this fucking video.

Veeky Forums is bad at magic.

>twitch.tv scglive
>collective brutality
WAIT WHAT

>scg top 8

>this one card that worked against this one other deck
literally a 1-of in the sideboard

reminder that affinity is a fair modern deck

A NEW CARD IS GOOD? ABUH BUH BUH BUH BUH

>collective brutality
>good

>he didn't let the blinkmoth kill all the spirit tokens

scg top8

>Veeky Forums
>good at this game

JUNK BOIS
U
N
K

B
O
I
S

Siege rhino still sees play?

If affinity is fair then so is dredge.

I don't see why it would be played outside Dredge

Because it does a ton of shit
I wouldn't play it as a 4 of, but I can see the occasional singleton

Is witchbane orb an acceptable sub for leyline of sanctity in a burn and valakut heavy meta?

In the sideboard for ad nauseam.

It's a disgusting creature. As long as people play abzan midrange it will see play

If you can find a way to cheat it in play turn 0 then yes.
You should know getting hexproof turn 0 vs turn 4 is a huge difference especially against fucking Burn.

No get the damn card. It's not expensive. Or play rune halo.

>1B + discard for shock + duress

I can see myself playing this on graveyard based decks (dredge, kolaghas+new lili+snapcaster, etc), but ad nauseam would not be one of them.

>I can see myself playing this on graveyard based decks
ye I agree, but that doesn't explain Majors having one in his Abzan sideboard. I guess he can discard a Lingering Souls, but there has to be better options.
What matchups would he even bring it in I wonder.

There would probably spawn a 2nd version of Jund. BBE is an agressive value card as apposed to a card that helps you stabilize. In the current list the only slot to cut for it is Kalitas, and in that style of Jund Kalitas is better. I'vr seen aome lists of Jund cut Dark Confidant for Grim Flayer and play like 2 Mishra's Bauble, a Tarfire, and a Seal of Fire; this version of Jund could probably cut the Kalitas for BBE and have a more aggressive gameplan based around controlling the board till they can close the game out quickly.

the only deck i see sorcery shock being "good" is against infect, plus duress for pump.

but souls+paths are already good vs infect so idk

How good is Soul Sisters against Jund? I've played a number of matches against Jund at a local level and have had good results, but I'm more wondering about if both decks are running with a good pilot

Soul Sisters is my only modern deck at the moment, so I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of it as best I can before I go to a GP or an Open

>Eric Hawkins' face when

this.

i'd see cutting kalitas if dredge is banned or falls in popularity somehow (lol).
right now kalitas is just too good for dredge and stabilizing.

Infect, hatebears, plus the usual control and combo decks you'd thoughtsieze against. Those are two of ad nauseams worst matchups by the way so having that utility is very useful.

There will be no white based decks at top tables other than junk. Lingering souls and path are the only good mainboard cards. Sorry bro, but you need a better deck until Mark rosewater decides to print good white cards.

Just remove white. It's boring. Replace it with colourless or some shit

>It's boring.
Objectively wrong. It's my favorite color and I'm not boring.

hatebears? are you sure you want to discard and possibly play 3 to duress them? what are you gonna discard? land against potential leonin + ghost quarters? mana cceleration? no, thanks.

infect would be ok. but again, i think the discard is pretty bad for ad nauseam.

for control and combo, just use duress instead: one turn earlier, no discard.

utility is good if you are looking to be a well rounded deck. ad nauseam is a highly linear deck. you want strong answers on the sideboard against bad matchups, like leylines against discard and darkness against creature decks (which gains you a bunch of virtual life instead of just picking off one of their creatures).

you're in a magic the gathering thread on Veeky Forums

If anyone here has tumblr please ask mark rosewater on his blog about White's weak powerlevel in eternal formats.

Is fish a fun deck?

I've already got vials and a couple caverns. Rest of the deck seems cheap but I sold affinity because it was too swingy with hate cards others play and I found it a little boring

stp is the best removal of the game

>turn 2 death's shadow needs to go

lmao, do these faggots ever seen goryo's vengeance?

become immense ban confirmed

Dat turn two kill

Wew lawd.

Has game's best removal in the form of stop and terminus. Has game's best sideboard hatecard against graveyard decks. Has the game's best equipment tutor. A FUCKING DnT IS TIER1 DECK IN LEGACY.

Veeky Forums bad at magic forever.

Lmao I play it. Turn 1 wins are fun and fair.

HE CALLED IT
ABSOLUTE MAD MAN

>eternal formats

Modern is not eternal you fuck, and white does just fine in real formats.

They really should get rid of this turn 4 rule. Decks are constantly being banned for violating this. Either unban more cards or print better answers

This is the modern thread.