/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

It's a "Vivec fucks something weird" episode - edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for clones.
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa

Other urls found in this thread:

imperial-library.info/content/elder-scrolls-online-lore-answers
uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Tower_Stone
uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Towers
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draugr
uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Ravyn_Imyan
dfworkshop.net/projects/daggerfall-unity/roadmap/
openmw.org/2016/openmw-0-39-0-released/
tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/summer-2016-update-video-out
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Some mysteries from the previous kalpa:

>Can somebody explain Lord Jornibret's Last Dance to me? I feel like I'm missing something.

>I've only really seen the lexicons inside of the games. Does any real lore use them?

>Do you think that ESO lore will be used for TES VI?

>Are orcs mer or beastmen first?

>(is) there any way to stop a magician from jailbreaking? Is there any explanation for this issue in the lore? Are magicians taken in to special jails?

Feel free to discuss.
pic related: freshest meme of the kalpa

I'm sure this has been asked a lot, but barring the homebrews in the OP, what systems would /tgesg/ recommend for playing Elder Scrolls at the table?

Mer, since they're just palette swapped elves with poor manners (not worse than bosmer) and bigger teef.

Well, their official name is Orsimer, so...

I managed to change kalpa, but I've been turned into some kind of retarded octopus-human hybrid.

Quick, shed your skin so that chimer may don it!

>shed your skin
I never thought it was obtained that way, but ESO's Dreugh may imply they do shed their land-dwelling caparace.

Thanks for doing this, I usually forget about my own questions when they're left unanswered.

>(is) there any way to stop a magician from jailbreaking? Is there any explanation for this issue in the lore? Are magicians taken in to special jails?
Sometime in the 4th era levitation and open spells were banned :^)

The tower stone in Skyrim is pretty crappy but it's great for jailbreaking

The same way slaves are handled. They have a cuff the drains magicka do they can't escape.

I don't think I'd consider orcs beastmen at all. More like shitty knockoff Daedra, what with the whole Malacath thing. Are there lore sources which refer to them as beastmen?

Some dialogue in Morrowind, I believe. Then again some dialogue in Morrowind reference to them as human.

Why don't they slap them onto the player?

>Morrowind
Dunmer racism?

Morrowind is a clusterfuck

Because they haven't been a thing since Morrowind. And in Morrowind, you just faded to black as you worked mining ebony.

That could be said about the human bit, since it comes from Ashlanders. The Betmer thing came from Savants, Eastern or Western.

>The peaceful Khajiit and Argonian races are the most numerous and culturally advanced of the Beast races; the war-loving Orc tribes are relatively few in number and widely scattered, but notable as superior warriors and weapon crafters. Other smaller Beast races, like Goblins, Apemen, and Giants, are limited to mountainous areas in the west and north of Tamriel, and seldom encountered in the East.

Are beastmen even a thing in TES?

>Other smaller Beast races, like Goblins, Apemen, and Giants
>and Giants
>Giants
>small
What

>Are there lore sources which refer to them as beastmen?
Oh boy, here we go:

>Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st ed.
Casually refers to orcs as beastmen.
>True Nature of Orcs
Refers to how Orcs have always been deemed beastfolk throughout history.
>Notes on Racial Phylogeny
Implies that Orcs are not a "race" but a "species" like goblins and harpies.

In ESO, Orcs join the Convenient Plot Covenant to gain political standing and repair past judgments on "orcs as raiders". In the same question-answer session, orcs are grouped alongside Argonians and Khajiit as "beast-races" (in this instance, the quotation marks are theirs, not mine).
see: imperial-library.info/content/elder-scrolls-online-lore-answers

Small as in number not size.

That's kind of an odd question. Why wouldn't you play one of the existing homebrews?

Why go through the trouble of adapting another system to use, when people have already either adapted another system to use or made a new one from the ground up to use?

What do we know about orc raiders? Skyrim had this shrine of Vaermina filled with them.

Not much. Though not because this is such a mysterious phenomenon, it's more because no one really cares about realism in Elder Scrolls so there is no answer to the question "why would a tribe of people perfectly capable of reasoning, language, craftsmanship and even wizardry and academics, have been 'raiders are brutes' for millenia?"

Every DnD-borne setting needs a "raider by default" race I guess.

We can chalk it to Malashit's influence.

>why would a tribe of people perfectly capable of reasoning, language, craftsmanship and even wizardry and academics, have been 'raiders are brutes' for millenia?"

The same way any culture can be capable of both civility and brutality.
The raiding culture was probably more efficient for long term survival than trying to prove civility to a bunch of jerks who didn't care one way or the other and really just wanted you dead.

What do we know about manure?

It's green.

Because there may be other systems that are better suited and not homebrews?

I doubt you are going to find a system better suited to playing Elder Scrolls, then a system that was built to play Elder scrolls.

Buy hey, I could be wrong. Cthulu tech is a shitty system with a cool setting that actually works better outside it's own system.

>The tower stone in Skyrim is pretty crappy but it's great for jailbreaking

what. are you talking about the skeleton key? what has it to do with the towers or stones?

uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Tower_Stone

It's what the Dungmer, aka the Shit Elves are born of.

Because those other systems have silly mechanical resolutions?

Honestly, just use an *world variant.

OOOOHH

i thought you meant one of the stones connected to the great towers.

>stones connected to the great towers
what?

uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Towers

Has MK ever expressed interest in The Kybalion?
skimming through the Wikipedia page by chance and it seems like his kind of racket.

I fucking hope not.

#lore

It's babby's first hermetic occultism, so I'm sure he's familiar with it.
He's certainly familiar with Crowley and grimoires like the Lesser Key of Solomon.

Give me more Dreugh culture, /tgesg/

I assume that after their transformation they stopped being considered mer and started being considered a beast race, sort of like the khajiit.

How do you pronounce dreugh anyway?

Droog.

Any way is correct.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draugr

>Pic related

I pronounce it as droog, but I also pronounce guar as goo-ar so take that with a grain of salt.

Literally just Drew.

fug

I pronounce it
dreg
or
dre-ug

Kekels

Shit like this makes fishermen seem like the bravest people on the planet.

I dont get it

There are perks.

>whole Veeky Forums in one post

>mfw your name is Vivek and you play Morrowind

Nothing wrong with that. Just healthy male interests.

Dreugh are based on the nordic/scandanavian Draugr.

Key charactaristics are
>Nordic, he is Danish
>Old, he is old and bald
>Guard their treasure viciously, napster and all the shit
>Reanimated and sluggish in movment, he is a terrible drummer
>Refusal to die, Metallica keep releasing shitty albums

Honestly, I don't think Ulrich is that bad of a drummer.

Can you offer any reason why he is good?
>Speeds up and slows down during live shows
>Uneven sound when playing
>Unimpressive technical skill
>Often screws up the most popular songs like One, Master of Puppets and is the reason Blackened isn't often played
>Thinks speed is better than ability and accuracy
>Plays many 'technical songs' very different to how they appear on studio albums, notably battery or anything with a double bass drum.

The list goes on user, Kill 'Em All is a great album but while the others grew as musicians, Lars did not at all. Instead he became the Arch-Shecklemeister.

user, I'm a different user and I'm not gonna resort to "if you're not a drummer your opinion is invalid" bullshit but seriously, he's a metal drummer, give him a break. The stuff he wrote for Metallica songs are often pretty great and when you're playing for hundreds of thousands of different people in different countries on tours, 'sometimes' you miss a beat. He's playing god damn metal for fucks sake, that shit is exhausting, especially when you're on the stage and you gotta keep doing it for more than an hour. Haven't you ever played bad at a sports competition after an hour of playing? Besides, sometimes even academicians can't answer simple questions on Who Wants to be a Millionaire when they are tired or stressed. Everybody messes up sometimes, as long as you don't market yourself as the best fucking musician of all time, it's fine and you know he has no such claim. Musicians experiment and try to have fun on shows, that's the nature of the business. It's called "show-biz" for a reason. People who go to their shows enjoy themselves, he has fun doing his job, you don't have to judge him by arbitrary standards and greentext your arguments to total strangers on the internet. Just let it be.
> Instead he became the Arch-Shecklemeister
Oh, I just realized I spent a minute arguing with a moron. Yes silly goyim he's after your precious money and he's playing intentionally bad to let ooga boogas take over the music industry.

>Nicko Mcbrain, Iron Maiden
>Mikkey Dee, Motorhead
>Scot Travis, Judas Priest

All these people are older or the same age as ol' Lars and are better in every measurable way user. And I agree with what you say, the occasional missed note or early start is nothing to be mad at but when he consistantly misses entire fills and sections of songs or breezes over hard bits with something of his own creation or when speeds up noticably (Cunning Stunts), it gets old very fast.

Even Hetfield agrees with the above, but he is a part of Metallica and without him we would not have the bad we know or may of those that followed.

Dreu. Also, gwar and dwem'er.
Let's get some more pronunciations from different people.

Could Sload posess people, theoretically?

I know what the towers are, n'wah. What do you mean with stones associated with them?

Not again.

I thought Death Magnetic was pretty good

Not him, but I thought it was ok. A little weird and some of the songs sounded like they were recorded in a tin can at double volume, but I liked unforgiven 3 and a few others.

Pfft, no.
That's more zenimax's baby than it is bethesda's. Not that Bethesda was uninvolved, but it's pretty clear zenimax wanted to do an mmo more than them. And considering Schick called the main TES games "fanciful portrayals", I doubt they'd want to legitimize ESO unless they actually have to.
Speaking of TES 6, where do you guys /want/ it to take place? Not where you think it will take place, but just what would be the most fun sounding setting in tamriel, or settings if you have a couple you'd like to see evenly, for your tastes and preferences?
I really want to see more of the southern half of the continent, especially the summerset isles and black marsh.
But really the only place I'd be dissapointed about at all if chosen would probably be hammerfell, if not just because it's yet another human province, but with a main topography that's really monotonous, desert. Redguards have some pretty cool lore, so I wouldn't be livid or anything, just kinda miffed that it'll be another half decade until we get to a crazy-interesting province. I think they got the more boring provinces out of the way, so no matter what it'll be an upward curve. I'm betting that was intentional too, why waste improved tech on games set on real-looking places as opposed to the more fantastical? I'm hype.

>ESO lore

There is no lore, there is just generic fantasy stuff now. It has been reduced to a blank canvas to allow the next group of designers to do whatever they want.

For example the strictly carnavorous Wood Elves will become more stereotypical Tolkien-like elves.

Which temples have more sex: Temples of Dibella or Temples of Crassius Curio of the Winterwound Tribunal?

Also
>The Lusty Argonian Maid wasn't plagiarized in ESO, Crassius just CHIM'd it into the second era.

>where do you guys /want/ it to take place?
Whole Tamriel. Just have preset environment tilesets (large:sandy desert: no water_body: blue sky w/patchy_clouds: hammerfell) with variable placements (a tree:mature/pine/no_harvestables in coordinate x13y1z5 layer 5c and a bush 3m distance to it northwest etc.) and let players travel from point a to point b with their vehicle of choice (horse, carriage, by walk, silt strider, variable speeds advantages and disadvantages), place random encounters (oh there's a shrine there on the map next to that little village, lets go check it out). This is something that was done in fucking Fallout 1 decades ago!

Make the cities somewhat randomly generated with preset buildings, layouts and randomly created NPCs. Make sure to make some important or well known cities like how any other TES game did (don't put a random village inside Red Mountain for example, we know there's no typical village there).

I don't think it should be THAT difficult to pull off. Yes they would have to work very hard but ffs it's *current year*.

Let us feel like Tamriel is actually a huge continent and we can't walk from the westernmost point to the easternmost point in 20 minutes. Honestly, this is how RPGs should be in my opinion. Even Dragon Age:Origins attempted to do something similar to this in a much smaller scale.

Besides, this would let modders create cities of their own (Necrom by Modder1990 "this is how I imagine Necrom would be, if you like, it download my mod, I also added some nice NPCs and quests for you).

I don't know if I'm full shit but I know that I'm very intoxicated so excuse my babble.

Grim realization.

Did Bethesda use Skyrim as a vector to inject lore that would dumb down future games?

We all know how bullshit non-jungle Cyrodiil was and how awkward their explanation was. What if the inter-game history they added was an attempt to cover their bases? Did Green Sap root itself in the Oblivion Crisis just so that trees won't have to walk in a Valenwood game? Did the Void Nights happen specifically so there's a canon explanation if there's only one type of Khajiit now? Did Dagon's sacking of Alinor destroy all their shiny glass infrastructure?

Guys, I'm super scared right now!

Stop giving a shit about modern ES games and all will be good.

I've been thinking this since Oblivion.

The trend is clear: avoid bothering to put effort into animation at all costs.

Possibly. But anything except the walking trees would be easy to do with modern graphics.
And seriously, how would you implement walking cities anyway?

With Daggerfall Unity, OpenMW and Tamriel Rebuilt I have more than enough hype to not need more retcons.

And what's the ETA on those?

uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Ravyn_Imyan
Check what it says in 'notes'. Fucking skykiddies.

>random generation over hand crafted small scale world

DF Unity:
Go and check his website, he started not long ago, and has already achieved more than any of the other similar projects. dfworkshop.net/projects/daggerfall-unity/roadmap/

OpenMW:
Currently at 0.39 after changing the rendered. openmw.org/2016/openmw-0-39-0-released/
It is VERY stable and close to 1.0, maybe just a couple releases away.

Tamriel Rebuilt:
Well, this is something very different, as the scope is just so huge, but the current finished part (pic related, all behind the alpha line is filled with NPCs and quests) is just so much fun. They changed their internal structure not too long ago, so the next update is taking longer than expected. tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/summer-2016-update-video-out

I try to post updates here about these three projects I follow, sometimes on the OP.

>Telvanni Island turned into Zafirbel bay 2.0

Same way they've always done cities, the door is simply a loading screen into the city map. The big problem is the collision data for a moving city's "feet".

>takes a step
>falls through the ground
>entire game is fucked now
>it's fixed by unofficial patches so bethesda won't change it

>Temples of Crassius Curio of the Winterwound Tribunal
They don't do anything else than sex.

>console players still have to deal with this game-breaking glitch

>"Hey! welcome to the moving city!"
>Great when should I get off if I want to get to this point on the map?
>"oh, the city hasn't moved in forever but if you do this quest line it'll get up and move."
>Alright, I did the quest line and now I'm back at the moving city.
>*loading screen*
>"We're here! the game has now loaded a map with the city in a slightly different place for the purposes of one quest. some of the NPCs will non-chilantly talk about how the city has moved now."
>wtf? I wanted to ride this city around the map!
>"too bad, the city isn't moving again, also the place it left is now a barren boring place and the skymap hasn't updated so it sometimes looks like the city's back in its original spot.

>how would you implement walking cities anyway?
Super simple stuff. A massive 'creature' would be the city, and you would have to enter it via specific spots on the trunk/vines/ropes/rope ladders. Hell, maybe you could fly into it. The entire interior would be the city with a moving skybox that corresponds with wherever it is; the tree would move fairly slow most of the time, but maybe sometimes faster. And of course, you could actually jump or fall off the city and end up below and behind it.

im triggered

who cares about them? we're getting worse games thanks to their cuckoldry

Each Tower has a Stone associated with it. Red Mountain's was the Heart of Lorkhan, White Gold was the Amulet of Kings, Snow Throat was some cave or something?

>not being confident in computer-animating a playable setting with the amount and kind of assets that turn a computer-tower into a stove top: city with a blinding Crystal tower that is hard to even look at, fuck-huge migrating trees with cities and npc's living and moving on them, needing a dozen times the assets for one native race of npc's not to mention animations and va work
Good fucking luck getting any of those to work bug free, at least close to budget, and on time, WHILE ALSO porting it to two different console operating systems and making it PC and Mac compatible.
Or you know, they could just not give any in-game explanation and pull a silent retcon like Bioware or Ubisoft would almost certainly do. Shit dude, I get where you're coming from, hell I was on the same side of the argument only a couple years ago, but there's only so much you can do realistically, and if they really tried to make it work, it's either be incredibly scaled down or buggy as fuck.
>would as though it isn't
Yeah yeah, fair enough, but for fucks sake, they at least have the decency to make an in-game lore reason. Hell they even used CHIM, showing what it could do. That's not as bad as a lot of others would do it. Not saying you can't complain, but at least be fair.