Would you rather play in a generic D&D fantasy world or a generic JRPG fantasy world...

Would you rather play in a generic D&D fantasy world or a generic JRPG fantasy world? Even if you did use [insert D&D edition waifu] for the system anyway.

So what are we talking like Eberron versus FFT's Ivalice here?

Genetic fantasy. Weebs should all kill themselves already.

There's a difference?

Define "generic JRPG fantasy world".

Generic JRPG fantasy world with D&D characters!

I guess generic D&D so I get equipment that actually protects me and isn't covered in weird angles and spikes.

>generic D&D fantasy world
This isn't even a contest. Also Ivalice is not a generic JRPG fantasy world IMO.

"Generic D&D fantasy world" is a thing.

"Generic JRPG fantasy world" is... less so.

I mean, "generic D&D," you know what races you're gonna get. JRPG, who fucking knows. Could be just humans. Could be beastmen, robots, gnomes, whatever. "Generic D&D," you know what tech level that is. But what tech level is a generic JRPG? Medieval? World War 1? Final Fantasy 7 is, what, dieselpunk? And then there's Chrono Trigger, and the Mother series...

JRPGs have some things in common, but their worlds are varied enough to make talking about generics difficult.

Generic D&D. I don't want any of that japanese pig-orc crap, overpowered mary sue heroes, power of friendship, cliche "demon lords" or w/e.

To play with friends? D&D fantasy

To be teleport into as a character? JRPG with girls designed and written by rebis

Generic JRPG is just generic DnD with prettier characaters.

THIS

Jorpegees may have prettier protagonists, if the visual designer isn't a total tool, but everything else will suck shit. Western fantasy4lyfe.

What qualifies as a "generic" JRPG world?

For the purpose of the argument, let's say... Dragon Quest, destined Hero versus the Demon Lord.

That seems right, but I'd also add that the technology level is on a more modern level in most JRPGs nowadays. Guns and similarly advanced weapons are juts as common as swords, spears, and bows.

Dragon Quest doesn't have that much technology in it aside from Hunter Mechs and the recent Monster Joker spin offs.

I'm talking about the current trends in JRPGs in general, not just Dragon Quest.

Well Dragon Quest then, certainly. I'd take that over a tolkeinesque RPG any day of the week. I love talking to kings and battling DragonLords.

Ivalice is hardly generic. It's JRPG in origin, but it has a lot of western inspiration to it, and I think it probably manages to hybridise the two styles better than almost any other setting which attempts that.

I guess what I am basically saying is that I lean towards JRPG stylistic and aesthetic design, but I prefer to find an acceptable middle ground rather than going full western or full eastern with no overlap allowed. This sort of thing is hard to define at the best of times but if you step back and take it generally rather than focusing on specific examples, you can more or less get a picture of what 'Generic D&D fantasy' and 'Generic JRPG fantasy' both mean, as a whole, but I'm not sure that sticking to one or the other in a steadfast fashion is a good idea, or even an acceptable one. There's always going to be some crossover, and we should almost definitely embrace that in the pursuit of a more meaningful and well-built world, and if this means that it stops technically being a 'JRPG/D&D fantasy setting', nebulous as we have established that label to be, then so be it.

To summarise: Ivalice basically kicks the shit out of 95% of all settings ever, regardless of their origin, specifically because it doesn't try to be a JRPG setting or bother maintaining the pretence.

They're one and the same, FF1 was literally an AD&D 1E crpg

I'd really like to play a game in a Trails in the Sky-type setting. Or maybe a Tales game.

>FF1 was literally an AD&D 1E crpg
FF1 is not the be all end all of JRPGs. Hell, you don't even have to look beyonf the Final Fantasy series to find a setting drastically different from D&D, just look and any one after VI that isn't IX.