Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

Uncommon races edition. What have been your experiences with races that are rare in the setting? Have you characters ever experienced bullying or general racism for being an uncommon race?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq (embed) (embed)

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Horror Adventures: imgur.com/a/r2TOH
imgur.com/a/odYOE

Previous Thread:

Uncommon races are just a roleplaying crutch

Any hype for Strange Aeons?

It could be fun?
Although, Horror Adventures are baggage sounds bad

None whatsoever. You literally do not write your own backstory, the GM writes it for you.

that has potential
it depends on what the backstories are like

Nope. I play this game to play my characters. Writing the backstory is like 75% of the enjoyment I draw from it.

And at the same time, you're taking all of that work out of the player's hands and putting it on the GM, who has to write the backstories not know the personalities of the characters?

On top of that,m the campaign traits are absolute BS. Reactionary+ (+2 initiative, +1 Reflex) and 3.5 Paladin Smite+++++ (+1 on saves vs spells and SLAs of evil creatures, then 1/day swift action to add Cha to hit and level to damage vs evil creatures for a round) are up against +1 to 3 knowledges (you don't get them in class) and you work as having skill focus when doing the research combat stuff from Ultimate Intrigue.

Eh.
I have played with premade character before and enjoyed myself
Each to our own.

I'm not hopeful, but I've been surprised before.

This. I am sick as fuck of all these "special snowflake" races that the players insist on playing in FAR greater proportions than they exist in the world. The result is always some gay-ass shit where the GM has to justify players being from six different continents, some of which contradict his own worldbuilding. And then you get races that are inherently obnoxious / edgy, such as drow, tieflings, and kender.

I always think the best way to produce demihuman children would be by cutting the uterus out of the body, and using spells to keep it preserved (maybe Cure Light Wounds?) and using Revivify repeatedly whenever the subject died. Then, the two uteri would be fused magically, so that the eggs were also fused and so they were hybrids of each other. Then a third sperm is added, thus allowing a human / elf / dwarf hybrid. Or some other combination of three races. it would be interesting, and open up hundreds of half-breeding possibilities, adding loads of new races to Pathfinder. And all of them would be better than kender.

>I always think the best way to produce demihuman children would be by cutting the uterus out of the body, and using spells to keep it preserved (maybe Cure Light Wounds?) and using Revivify repeatedly whenever the subject died. Then, the two uteri would be fused magically, so that the eggs were also fused and so they were hybrids of each other. Then a third sperm is added, thus allowing a human / elf / dwarf hybrid. Or some other combination of three races. it would be interesting, and open up hundreds of half-breeding possibilities, adding loads of new races to Pathfinder. And all of them would be better than kender.

The fuck...the jesus christ fuck...

I was with you until the second paragraph
Dude.

Not denying that horrifying magic vat-grown demihumans would be better than kender, but that seems a bit iffy.

How do I make a punchghost eidolon?

Lost me at the 2nd paragraph as well.

Tieflings are cute. CUUUUTE.

demon rape babies
all of them

Biped with some extra limbs and Slam attacks, maybe?

So what if I am the only one at the table playing such a 'rare' race, as I am the only person in my group who doesn't prefer playing elves, dwarves, humans, or any of the other farm ore common things?

Honestly I just can't get behind playing those because they are too close to human, and I really don't like being human when I have the chance to be something else. It's a game for escapism, so, why not just let people be so long as they aren't being colossally autistic or fetish fags about it?

Not necessarily rape. For one, it could have been a wizard having fun with a bound demon.

No. Dude no.
She was spell charmed.
WHAT YOU DID WAS RAPE WIZARD, RAPE!
honk honk

I hate ...

>most of the standard fantasy races (Elves, Dwarves(can be okayish if handled VERY well but are shit 90% of the time), Half-Orcs(Shitty cop out, mechanically is a great race though.), Halve Elves and derivatives, Gnomes, and Halfings.

>Planetouched, Samasara, and the tons of "we're basically humans that lived in X, so we're special for some reason." That shit should be a feat or something.

General Rule of thumb. If the race can be confused for a human if they're wearing a hat and you're seeing them from behind, it's shit and may as well just be a human.

>wizard
>bound demon

I still smell rape happening here. Possibly from both sides, depending on the demon

Depends on what that other thing is.

If that other thing is a fucking Aasimer, Tiefling, Dhampir, Vishkanya, Suli, Ifrit, etc. fucking kill yourself.

Okay, how about a Cleric with Planar Ally?

>le kender maymay
those don't even exist in PF or outside of Dragonlance at all and you have never played with one

If you use race as a roleplaying crutch, you probably only do very limited shit
Like people who make catfolk and only ever do something if they come up with something catlike

Tieflings are more like the grandchildren of the demon rape baby.

Or the grandchildren of the guy who cleaned up the demon rape fluids.

You know, something I never got: Why do people hate on snowflakes so much? I would rather have a special snowflake edgelord tiefling than another generic Bob the Human Fighter any day of the week. A party of four humans has significantly fewer opportunities for things to happen than a group of, say, a tiefling, a goblin, an elf, and a tengu.

The term "snowflake" seems to be insulting people for trying to make a unique character, which just seems wrong to me. Do you really want people just playing to stereotypes? Do all of your dwarves have to be drunks? Why do all of your barbarians have to be angry, and your monks enlightened?

Need inspiration for a character in a no-magic campaign please.

"snowflake" is mostly used for people who have no subtlety in the art

imagine a character who has countless personality quirks but not a single one of them is ever truly explored.

when a character is wide but shallow instead of narrow but deep

A Cleric of Lamashtu, perhaps?
>pregnantwolfgirl.jpg

>A party of four humans has significantly fewer opportunities for things to happen than a group of, say, a tiefling, a goblin, an elf, and a tengu.
Why. Humans get into loads of stupid fucking bullshit IRL and we don't even have magic and niggas running around with great axes today.

contrarianism

Does the concept of magic exist? A False Medium Rogue could be hilarious to play in that sort of setting, because they get specific "spell effects" that are completely (Ex).

because these people shout "look at me im special" but they are not special

Yes, but the mixed race party can still get into all of that stupid bullshit, on top of not being the accepted master race

A foppish dandy whose been maintaining his lavish lifestyle by doing business with opium dealers?

As a LG Grippli Daring Champion trying to channel the best qualities of Mr Rogers Kermit and Glenn from CT, I don't think I'm in the right neighborhood.

Maybe to people who have a poor imagination and don't work with their GM to build a world.

Alright, it's that dorky mummy mask adventure path, and DM allows Paizotrash sources only. I'm a big fan of being a bruiser and a team player (usually play cleric or paladin shit in other editions).
What's good in Pathfinder these days?

Bruiser and some divine magic?
Warpriest could work

My ideal fantasy world has Humans as the only sapient species, or maybe one other one that is wholly alien, anathema, and not necessarily humanoid. I can't stand worlds like Golarion, Warcraft, etc that have dozens of sapient humanoid races just in case you wanted to play a humanoid frog or whatever. I wonder what that says about me.

Unchained Monk.

Yes, I know you don't believe me, but try it.

Can someone explain to me the differences between "flat-footed," "denied DEX bonus," and "eligible to be sneak attacked"?

>inherently obnoxious
But gnomes are okay?

Clerics are still good. For the ultimate team player consider going Evangelist for Inspire Courage and take the Glory (Heroism) domain.

Paladins are bretty good for a minor caster, much better than 3.5 (at least comparing base class to base class).

Warpriest is a Cleric that sacrifices Real Ultimate Power for better unbuffed martial ability and what amounts to an inexpensive way to Quicken your self-buff spells.

If you are flatfooted you are denied dex to AC, and can't take immediate actions.

If you are denied dexterity to AC, you aren't necessarily flatfooted. (Such as being attacked by an invisible creature)

All swimmers are athletes but not all athletes are swimmers, etc.

You can sneak attack anything that is denied its dex bonus, or anything that you're flanking, which is an entirely different thing and usually easier to set up.

Flat Footed: You have not acted in combat, you are unaware someone is attacking you. You are also denied dexterity.

Denied Dex: Various conditions deny your dex bonus. Being helpless. Cowering. Being attacked by something you aren't aware of. Getting feinted.

Eligible to be sneak attacked: Depends on the ability, general you can sneak attack opponents denied Dex or opponents that are flanked.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm curious to see how they handle horror in such a combat-heavy system.

>Human only setting
>Path of War classes+Harbinger and PoW:E archetypes+Psionics only
>25 point buy
>TWF tree is a scaling feat
>Combat Maneuvers merged into scaling feat
>No Martial Traditions
R8 my char gen rules.

>Hating on mystics
>Hating on zealots

I'll take the bait, tell me why you think they're shit.

>>Human only setting
I prefer having lots of races but your setting is your setting.

>Path of War classes+Harbinger and PoW:E archetypes+Psionics only

I'm not a huge fan of psionics or Path of War.

>25 point buy.

Nice

>TWF tree is scaling feat

I like it. I'd make other feats like them scale too, like the mostly ignored Deadly Stroke and Vital Strike feats, and I'd probably remove point blank shot or combine it into precise shot so ranged characters have a slightly more open feat tree.

>Combat Maneuvers merged into scaling feat.

I like this and did a version of it myself once. I split the maneuvers into "Dexterity" maneuvers(Trip, disarm, steal, etc) and "Strength" maneuvers(Grapple, Overrun, Bull Rush). You'd still roll each one like normal but you wouldn't need 600 feats and wouldn't need agile maneuvers, fury's fall, etc, just to be able to acutally use the feats as a dex fighter.

>No Combat Traditions.

I don't know what these are so I'm guessing they're just some overpowered bullshit?

What are everybody's favorite house rule sets?

Ignore 90% of paizo errata since 2014

Know:Nobility rolled into Know:History. Class skill for cavaliers.

No seriously, why do cavaliers NOT have knowledge nobility?

>I'm not a huge fan of psionics
I get not liking path of war, but if you don't think 3.5 psionics is the tightest shit you can get out my face nigga.
Martial Traditions are basically ways to swap disciplines in exchange for another discipline and some light RP requirements. Can lead to some weird stuff.

-Illusion magic can disguise its aura as a different school
-Any class with INT+2 skills becomes INT+4, unless they're already INT based.
-Style feats are active outside of combat
-A bunch of free feats along the lines of that popular feat tax thing that gets reposted
-Necessary magic items (stat headbands/belts, enchantment bonuses on gear, etc) are slotless and run off a different phantom budget without interfering with actual WBL. [Essentially ABP but more flexible]

>Mystics
I dislike they're recovery method as it's a pain to keep track of and magic item crafting is cancer. Aegis just get a bonus combat feat, before you say anything.
>Hating on zealots
This is just what I heard from /pfg/. I may allow them but I will stomp on the players throat so hard if they take it out of hand.

I like the idea of PBS coming with bow proficiency, Power Attack with BAB1, etc.
Feat taxes are bullshit.

Take what out of hand? Is the Zealot that powerful or is it just played to its alignment the way dumb Paladins are played to LG?

Skalds can be fun if you have other bruisers to support with skald song.

Does anyone have that image of the command spells someone made on Veeky Forums ages ago? I know this isn't really the place to ask but I remember someone here was using them for faction icons or something.

In exchange have a character picture.

I'll check out war priest, evangelist cleric, and the unchained monk. Our group usually has a lot of rogues, knaves, and scoundrels. Would any of those three synergize particularly well with rogue losers?

>Martial Traditions are basically ways to swap disciplines in exchange for another discipline and some light RP requirements. Can lead to some weird stuff.

...The discipline swap is what bugs you about them? Seriously?
The ability to switch disciplines is what gives PoW a huge amount of its flexibility and ability to cover interesting concepts. Is Unorthodox Method allowed, or do you really want to massively cut down the options of everyone who wants to play a certain class?

Not even considering how the PoW1 disciplines are less balanced than PoWE ones, so by limiting things to mainly PoW1 classes you're essentially encouraging people to take all the broken options

if they wanna force stealth, make everyone get stealth synergy and just hang with them

Haven't played pathfinder since ACG, did they finally fix monks?

>..The discipline swap is what bugs you about them? Seriously?
Not really. I dislike a lot of their lore implications too, but there are some disciplines and class combos that shouldn't see the light of day.
>Not even considering how the PoW1 disciplines are less balanced than PoWE ones, so by limiting things to mainly PoW1 classes you're essentially encouraging people to take all the broken options
Memes. I'd rather see someone whip out Broken Blade than Riven Hourglass which EVERYONE AND THEIR FUCKING MOTHER TAKES. I'd say they're tit for tat.

I'd play it, if only for access to Aberrant Aegis. I've had a DEEP craving, and my GM will not indulge me.

>Is Unorthodox Method allowed,
Of course it's allowed. I really don't know where you got that idea.

I'm pretty sure all the Zealot complaining was from just one super salty user. I'm not doubting it can can be built into slightly overpowered things, but so can all the PoW1 classes with maybe even less effort.
The warlord's current version can easily pull off sillier support numbers than the zealot with high enough CHA, just by flanking.

>Mystics
Just replace mystic artifice with a scaling bonus to UMD.
Their recovery method is also something that's the responsibility of the player, it shouldn't be your problem as a GM as long as they have a way of proving it to you if you don't trust them.

It's still kinda MAD, but they cut most of the garbage and added some very good options in the form of Ki Powers and Style Strikes. Also some small buffs in the form of d10 HD and innate full BAB.

>Monk
Probably not, because they're always Lawful straight edge stick-in-the-muds.

>Evangelist Cleric
If you're some Chaotic deity, sure. Gorum is CN and still has the Glory domain. Other domains like Luck and Travel are excellent as well, just not as good for being the buff machine. A Cleric with no archetype is fine too, or if you want to be that faggot who slows everything down by summoning, look into Herald Caller.

>Warpriest
Again, probably best to have a Chaotic deity. Trickery Domain is one of the few that actually has a good set of Warpriest Blessings.

Yeah, Zealot is back on board.

I dislike allowing things that I personally don't really get, even if I do trust the player. Like I'd rather give anyone who takes E.Flux with Unorthodox method a free animus pool that functions as the class feature than allow the mystic.

I'm assuming these are different anons because otherwise that's retarded.

>Of course it's allowed. I really don't know where you got that idea.
Original user said Harbinger and archetypes are the only parts of PoW:E that are allowed, which technically excludes PoW:E traits.

>some disciplines and class combos that shouldn't see the light of day
Name them.

>Memes. I'd rather see someone whip out Broken Blade than Riven Hourglass which EVERYONE AND THEIR FUCKING MOTHER TAKES. I'd say they're tit for tat.
If Riven Hourglass bugs you so much, just ban that one instead of sinking the 10 other disciplines that happen to be in the same book with it?

I am the same person
>Original user said Harbinger and archetypes are the only parts of PoW:E that are allowed, which technically excludes PoW:E traits.
I was obviously referring to classes, you're being a fucking pedant.
>If Riven Hourglass bugs you so much, just ban that one instead of sinking the 10 other disciplines that happen to be in the same book with it?
It's not Riven itself. It's every single PC being part of this weird ass organization, every fucking time.

>there are some disciplines and class combos that shouldn't see the light of day.
What? How? That doesn't make any sense. None of the disciplines were really designed with the idea that they should only be taken by certain classes.

>I dislike allowing things that I personally don't really get, even if I do trust the player.

That's fair enough, but.
The mystic really isn't that hard to get?
Just homerule change their recovery method to something like the Bushi's instead, changing sheathing their weapon to... I dunno, some other free action thing.

That is a retarded reason for disallowing them. You can fluff it to any fucking thing you want it to be, the primary reason they exist is for discipline swapping.

Maybe just let them swap disciplines without being part of that weird-ass organization. I mean, why not?

>some disciplines and class combos that shouldn't see the light of day
Contradicted pretty damn heavily with
>yeah sure, unorthodox method is allowed

But anyway, just... ban the lore and allow people to have their free discipline swap without taking the trait, for up to two free swaps if they take it?
Devs have been on board saying that's expected/fair/sort of RAI quite a few times.

Assassins and Eugenics-based monastic orders are things that can do well with rogues. As can an order of thieves who seek to restore funds and treasures to their rightful owners.

Lawful does not mean "not sneaky". Hell, a bodyguard for the actual rogue can be Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil and have no issues with his thefts, murders, or other nefarious acts.

I have a Gunsmoke Mystic, and I just changed out their recovery for the Stalkers, operating under the idea of running to cover to get maneuvers. I've yet to actually see it in action, though, since we've only had one session so far.

Because Unorthodox Method is just one Discipline for another vs changing everything out cart blanche.

>Devs have been on board saying that's expected/fair/sort of RAI quite a few times.
We've already been over this, Dev house rules aren't the rules. And if it was RAI then Unorthodox Method wouldn't exist at all.

But... like anons said, a martial tradition with the fluff and other benefits stripped out is literally just a bonus Unorthodox Method?

You don't trade anything out besides a single discipline.

>And if it was RAI then Unorthodox Method wouldn't exist at all.
Why? They're not mutually exclusive.

They aren't rules, but they're heavy recommendations from people who know the system well.
>And if it was RAI then Unorthodox Method wouldn't exist at all.
The point is that most initiators can get up to /two/ swaps, because they thought 1 didn't offer enough freedom.

Remember, martial traditions existed in PoW1 before Unorthodox Method did.

Okay how about people can take Unorthodox Method Twice under a different trait slot? Is that satisfactory?

>Changing out one of the (arguably) best recovery methods for one of the (generally agreed to be) worst ones

Well, it's your choice I suppose.

It's mechanically the best, but that's because "I can recover maneuvers while still murderfucking shit" is cancer. And the mystic method is also really cumbersome and not fun to deal with.

It's an improvement.

I find it more dynamic to see classes get maneuvers back quickly, since from my experience with Stalkers and Warders (And Zealots pre recovery buff), what I see players do when they run out of maneuvers isn't 'shit, need to rest and recover', but more like 'shit better start FULL ATTACKING EVERYTHING'.

Exactly. Even more so because it's an online game, so the standard mystic recovery becomes even more cumbersome. I'm actually kind of disappointed that DSP brought back the concept at all, since "The Crusader recovery method no longer exists" was one of my favorite things about PoW.

We /liked/ Crusader recovery, thank'ee muchly.

> No Martial Traditions

You make me so sad user. So sad and lonely.

>I dislike they're recovery method as it's a pain to keep track of

Just have your player get some index cards and write their manuevers on them and then randomly pick them from a deck as the battle goes on.

That's what the player who used a Crusader back during 3.5 did. It was very unobtrusive and never felt like an issue at the table.

Again, much harder to do online. Not everyone has the luxury of their group being in the same town.

Online Mystic recovery has never really been a problem to me, though I've showed my tracking method to people before and some have said it makes much less sense to them than to me, so it's a Your Mileage May Vary thing.

You just substitute drawing cards with dice rolls, since online platforms support things like rolling 1d7 or 1d5, and count down from the top of a list of your maneuvers.

>never felt like an issue at the table.
>implying a play at a oh physical table.
And a LOT of people didn't. Is there even a chance that there going to be an archetype or template that mulligans it to me more standard, those that would prefer it.

Hell if I know, right now about 9001% of my personal PoW-related thoughts are, "Day 1337: Errata still not done. My children have forgotten my face. God, please, deliver me from this hell."