/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Hybrid edition! (Please read the primer before making any hybrid cards.)

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=383042
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Feedback pls?

Would like some feedback on these cards

Overly easy deck thinning. If Step 2 is at all worth having in a deck it's deck thinning with a side order of pointless lifegain. Why?

Gotta dump all of them for it to make sense

yugioh/10

>This is Jon, Step 2
Useless
>Jon, Step 2 is white
Its mana cost contains white, no need to say it

>Rules text
Should be :
Sacrifice Jon, Step 2: Search your library for a card named Jon Step 3 and put it into your hand. Scry 2.

>At any time
Abilities are instant by default
>Put it into your library
Doesn't make sense, the card is already in your library
>Scry 2 as well
Why "as well" ?

>This is Jon Step 3
Same as before
>Please
What ?
>non-Jon-related cards
Doesn't mean anything
>They lose all abilities
Cards in the library can't lose abilities
>This card has...
Jon Step 3 has protection from everything
>When you are ready
Doesn't make sense
>draw Jon Step 4
You don't draw a given card, you search your library for it

Please look at some magic cards before creating custom cards
And play the game for a bit

It's a troll. An old troll. Just ignore him.

lmao

I don't think this breaks anything. I'm not sure if it's broken itself though.

What's this guy from and why does he look like Metamorpho?

he is metamorpho

Then why change the name?

Making a superhero-themed set and didn't want to just ape the name

Still looking for some feedback on these uncommons. If I hear nothing this time, I'm going to assume they're fine and continue on.

I feel that the static deathtouch takes something away from the design on this one. Growing in power to become a bigger threat loses its luster when the creature wins almost every combat by default anyway. You did capture the flavor of an assassin pretty well, though.

all seem fine to me

The idea is to make it a hard choice: Do I block and lose when of my creatures so he can draw a card, or do I let it through and take the damage while getting bigger so it hurts more next time? I've run into the dilemma of making creatures so good at combat they will never be blocked a few times, so this is my attempt at fixing that.

I get what you were going for, but I feel that the deathtouch really limits counterplay options and actually makes combat less interesting. I'm speaking assuming a general environment, though. With all of the first/double strike and indestructibility in your set, it might very well play differently.
>Emma Frost
I love the first bit, the castigate/oblivion ring hybrid. The second ability, again, feels like it limits counterplay options. Not every creature needs to be able to protect itself so easily.

Thats a tad bit too strong from just one card alone, especially since it has its own built in defence mechanism, you may want to take off the indestructible but the +2/+2 is nice since players can still gib it with certain cards on the first turn that she pops out.

Feedback pls? Tried to refrain from wild fancy effects so it's actually "viable" in comparison to the official cards.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work in that it's a land with a converted mana cost.

>305.9. If an object is both a land and another card type, it can be played only as a land. It can’t be cast as a spell.

Feedback, please tee gee. Was considering a tap (or even untap) ability to place -1/-1 counters on things.

>Grendel
Yeah, again, I'm not intending for the CO "set" to be played in its own environment. All cards (bar the reprints denoted by purple expansion symbols) are designed more or less for Modern play. Deathtouch is something I can either drop or make conditional, though if I drop it, I would like to increase the power, probably just to 3.

>Emma Frost
Indestructible is something I can't give up. Flavor reasons. She has two abilities, telepathy, and the ability to turn into near-indestructible diamond (I don't get it either). So Indestructible will have to stay, though I am open to ideas to change it. One idea was having it give back a card or more that it exiled, since her diamond form prevents her from using telepathy.

Seems overpriced, on its own it's worse than a 2/2 unblockable on offense and on defense it would probably chump block a fatty once and it's gone. -1/-1 counter dispensers aren't common or cheap enough to make it particularily good as a synergy piece.

Better? Keep on mind the design is meant for commander.

Clunky and parasitic.
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR
Dangerous. Also the second ability basically says that it can't enter the battlefield from libraries or graveyards.
If you want feedback on a full set, I'm not going to do it over Veeky Forums. I'm always open to look over an entire custom set, just dump some contact info.
You should not make cards that oppress hands like that hard to remove.
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR
Also download Magic Set Editor.
Interesting idea, but it's in the wrong color and badly designed.
Developmentally way off, but a very neat idea. Maybe put it on an enchantment so you can build around it more?

If you are going to say a card is badly made you need to explain why you feel that way. I currently see no issue with any of those cards you (you)ed.
>ashsin
Red and black both have land destruction.
Red and black both draw cards and discard cards.
>Reneria
White and Blue both do taxing counter spells. See spell spike and mana tithe.
White and Blue both restrict your opponent from attacking. See Propaganda and Ghostly Prison.
>Crynor
this is literally just Glint split into two different effects. If you think this card is at all white you are genuinlly retarded. Most white battle tricks are flat buffs or lean more towards power with only a few exceptions.

The only one here that doesn't feel purely hybrid is Ashsin.

Not untapping isn't very black. It ususally likes things to be tapped but never really causes it.

>If you want feedback on a full set, I'm not going to do it over Veeky Forums.
I'm not asking for feedback over the full set, as I'm still in the process of making it. I dump collages based on color and rarity as I finish them.
>I'm always open to look over an entire custom set, just dump some contact info.
What is your preferred format?

Discord, probably.

fffaust#0658

>Also download Magic Set Editor.
CBA DESU, I only make new cards once in a blue moon.
>but it's in the wrong color
How so? A mole thing flavorwise wouldn't really fit any color other than green. Discard is generally black, but almost all black discard effects are "nonland"; also Black has Hypnotic Specter and green to date has nothing to that effect - also mirrored to Hippie this guy is the opposite of flying. Green generally deals with land ramping, this is an inverse effect, slowing down your opponent instead of speeding you up - green lacks big time in control-esque cards, so this guy would fill a niche there without seeming too out of place. Maybe I should've made him a 2/2 unless that's too strong.
>badly designed.
What are you referring to?

>all black discard effects are "nonland"
Because snagging lands in not interactive or fun.
>green to date has nothing to that effect
Color pie
>green lacks big time in control-esque cards
Color pie
>What are you referring to?
The fact that it's badly designed.

Read the articles.
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

Oh hey. Also, nice quads.

>Because snagging lands in not interactive or fun.
It slows the opponent down, doesn't stop him since he can still topdeck lands, which is what he'll probably be doing anyway from turn 4 or 5. Realistically this guy would start attacking in turn 3 in the average green deck, which means he gets to discard 1 or 2 lands if not chump blocked. Afterwards he gets a lot weaker, but still gets to scout your opponent's hand for threats.
>color pie
I find this argument silly. Green shouldn't be just about huge beatsticks and elves that turn into huge beatsticks because that's fucking boring. Especially recently green has expanded its presence in the color pie a lot and I approve, think of all the removal it's getting - Beast Within, Arachnus Web... or filter cards like Ancient Stirrings and Vessel of Nascency, or even a pseudo-counterspell in Vines of Vastwood. Plus it makes the game much more interesting for green to have a slightly more systematic approach than "aggro aggro vomit my hand out as fast as possible", no other color is as pigeonholed into the color pie as green.

>The fact that it's badly designed.
You can't expect me to look through 20 articles to find which element you're referring to, other than the color pie perhaps?

Just the Design 101-104 ones.

I'm not here to spoonfeed you stuff you can very easily chew down on your own. If you don't like my feedback. If you don't like my feedback, filter me or don't respond.

I'm looking for ideas on how to streamline the abilities and balance the power level. I'm not against feedback, but just saying "it's badly designed" doesn't offer any useful advice.

Let's look through the articles:
>The Card Is Too Complicated
Nope. Two straightforward abilities.
>The Abilities on the Card Have No Synergy
Evasion and combat damage effect have synergy
>The Color Wheel
This might be it, but...
>When you design a card that seems like a nice simple card that does something the color hasn’t done before (or at least hasn’t done since Magic’s early days), think twice about why it hasn’t been done yet. If it’s a new, unexplored area, that’s great. If it’s an obvious mechanic that you’ve seen done in other colors, odds are you’re about to make a mistake.
Evasion against flyers only appeared on a red enchantment from the top of my head, that's an ally color of green. Also, green hates flyers, and comes with many effects to stop them, including the otherwise completely verboten in green direct damage! Discarding specifically land cards is a fresh effect that doesn't seem aligned to any color yet - but land card shenanigans are usually a green thing, even concerning the graveyard - Life From The Loam?
>Card Type Rules
It's more or less a greenified Hypnotic Specter, nothing radical.
>General Flavor
It's a mole in green.
>The Card Doesn’t Work Within the Rules
It's nothing super new to the rules.
>The Card Is Undercosted, Overpowered or Simply “Bah-roken”
That's what I'm wondering.

>Why should my opponents have lands? They can get by without them! It's not like Wizards has been cutting down on land destruction for the past several years.
>The color pie is bullshit. Green doesn't have to be Green, it can be any color it wants to be! So says me, Card Designer Extraordinair™!

>The Card Ignores Basic Design Rules of Magic
The color wheel. Read that paragraph. Then read it again. Then read it again. Then read it again. Then read it again. Until that paragraph is burned into your brain and you can recite it.
>General Flavor
Discard is brain damage or mental fatigue or something like that. What does a mole have to do with that.
>102
Read this. This is your direction - what you should be trying to learn and focus on.
>the Explorer's Mistake—"It Hasn't Been Done" Is Not a Reason to Do Something
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS
>The Artist's Mistake—You Try to Be Too Literal
The first line is little more than trinket text. It's cute -yes, but Green has other, better designed evasion options.
>This might be it, but...
Don't "but..." anyone. Fucking learn what the color pie is and why it's useful. After basic lands, it's the most important thing in Magic - it's what it keeps everything together.

You want us to develop your card. Development is context dependent.

Read the articles. Understand them. Do not break design rules before you understand why they're fucking there. You're running before you can walk. Fuck. Now fuck off. Read the articles. Listen to Drive to Work. Read Killing a Goldfish. Browse the top cards of /r/custommagic and think of what makes them great. Have some baseline knowledge of things before trying to argue your point. Fuck.

>greenified Hypnotic Specter, nothing radical.
You do realize color bending was OK in Planar Chaos, but is otherwise looked down on, yes?

>/r/custommagic
Really?

Second part is about knowing legacy cards and playtesting and stuff, nothing specific.
>Making The Audience Do Something They Don’t Want To Do
The attacker wants to raise his tempo, the defender can chump block to prevent this, or bolt him, or whatever else you do with a regular problematic small creature. Being hit by him can suck, but the same can be said about any discard spell. What kind of a deck doesn't have an answer to this guy?

>Why should my opponents have lands?
How many lands will the opponent realistically hold by the time this guy is attacking, unless he's playing landfall or whatever? He'll generally net you 1-2 card advantage - if he doesn't get blocked, all lands - seems quite fair for a 3 mana creature with 1 toughness.
>It's not like Wizards has been cutting down on land destruction for the past several years.
This isn't land destruction.
>The color pie is bullshit. Green doesn't have to be Green, it can be any color it wants to be! So says me, Card Designer Extraordinair™!
This is a strawman. The color pie isn't set in stone and has been bent in many ways, and this isn't that big of a venture really. You get stuff like Goblin Guide and it fits the general playstyle of the color while giving it a niche dis/advantage.

Planar Chaos wasn't even that radical, I don't see how the green cards in particular seem so inconcievable, Healing Leaves is a half-Nourish and pseudo-Giant Growth (allows chump to stomp a chump but doesn't punch your opponent on an unblocked guy); Hedge Troll is a troll with regenerate; Groundbreaker is a two-in-one - an instant beatstick and a Giant Growth type effect; Keen Sense might seem weird, but green got a similar card recently in Theros and nobody complained - after all, it's an out-of-color effect channeled through a creature. Harmonize is the only truly WTF colorshift.

even if the majority of the submissions are shit (not like theyre any better here or anywhere else), the top of any place will usually house some good ones

>Planar Chaos wasn't even that radical
Aaaand this is confirmed for bait. Not bad work.

How would you change Torrwr then?

Planar chaos's shifts were almost entirely shifts that that color got, even the shifts that that color didn't get (white getting mana tithe) were later ported to that color.
I don't like you. You are like the consensus no one agrees with. You can't or refuse to make points for yourself, so you pick out articles to do your talking for you.
Stop being such an insufferable faggot or go away.
I don't even like that card, but you frustrate me far more.

Make it gold rather than hybrid. Hybrid U/B is difficult to properly design for. If it's for commander, then the difference in playability is immaterial. It also justifies both abilities better; putting -1/-1 counters on things is squarely black, freezing things is solely blue.

>This is usually the biggest culprit. Magic colors are clearly defined. When you design a card that seems like a nice simple card that does something the color hasn’t done before (or at least hasn’t done since Magic’s early days), think twice about why it hasn’t been done yet.
Why it hasn't been done yet? Most likely because mana screw is generally frustrating and this card fights against lands. But when you consider the fact that it's relatively easy to prevent, and most decks primarily play 1-3 mana drops (which is the amount of land the opponent will already have on board by the time this attacks), the effect is safer than it could otherwise appear to be.
>If it’s a new, unexplored area, that’s great.
Great.
>If it’s an obvious mechanic that you’ve seen done in other colors, odds are you’re about to make a mistake.
What other color does land discard?
>Discard is brain damage or mental fatigue or something like that. What does a mole have to do with that.
Burrows through the land, destroying crops or otherwise devaluing it. Not sure how brain damage relates to unplayed lands.
>102
Deals with playtesting mostly, which I haven't done yet, but I don't see what can possibly go wrong.
>but Green has other, better designed evasion options.
Umm... forestwalk, trample is sorta evasive, and?
>Fucking learn what the color pie is and why it's useful
It defines the general play tactic of the color. Green revolves almost exclusively around creatures, ways to protect them and having more mana than the opponent. This is a creature that tries to secure the latter.

Compared to stuff like Sylvan Library, Killer Bees, Desert Twister, Mirri's Guile... Planar Chaos is smalltime.

Fair enough. I still prefer hybrid frames to gold ones though, they just look better.

>freezing things is solely blue.
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=383042

>Planar chaos's shifts were almost entirely shifts that that color got
Wrong. It both showcased existing shifts and speculated on potential shifts.

White still does not have creature regeneration. Blue doesn't get discard or vigilance. Black can't tap. Green does not get straight draw like Harmonize.

A:
>Make cost (U/B)BU
B:
Replace wither with skulk (Blue shouldn't get wither. It just doesn't fit the color.) and give him some ability like, "Put a -1/-1 counter on ~. Tap target creature."
C:
Go a different direction. Like, your opponent must pay 2 life to block a creature, per creature.
This still has the issue of not quite being blue or black so you'll not be able to do hybrid.

>What other color does land discard?
Black.
>Compared to stuff like Sylvan Library, Killer Bees, Desert Twister, Mirri's Guile... Planar Chaos is smalltime.
All those cards, maybe arguably other than Mirri's Guile, were mistakes. Planar Chaos wasn't.

It's not my job to spoonfeed basic entry-level concepts to beginners.

Since we're talking Planar Chaos. This is honestly something I'm kinda surprised hasn't show up in White at all. I mean, it has gotten sac effect, and doesn't this strike at the idea of balance? Or is it because the guy with more creatures will win out over the guy with just a few? Or is it just because it's a mechanic the color shouldn't get?

And one more which I still need to find art for. I get more why Black doesn't get Hexproof since it would just rather have overall better creatures and it has Regen, but so many times designing cards that have to do with darkness, I wish I could use Hexproof in mono-Black. And no, I'm not counting the Slyblade.

>White still does not have creature regeneration. Blue doesn't get discard or vigilance. Black can't tap. Green does not get straight draw like Harmonize
OK, replace almost entirely with mostly.

It's not your job to be on these fucking threads or making stupid shitty posts and yet you don't complain about doing either of those things.

>Black
Most black discards get a clause "nonland".
>mistakes
You're judging in retrospect. If green shaped up to be the resident primary weenie color instead of the big monster one, then Force of Nature would've been a "mistake". The cards have had their spotlight back in the day and were commonly played, it was the "green" of its time. Sylvan Library is still an iconic card, and Mirri's Guile is a fixed version of it.

Swords to Plowshares was a "mistake" in the same way, and yet it inspired countless other cards that appear in almost every white deck.

This for example doesn't seem very white, because even in reference to Balance, the actual balance seems very blatantly subversible. I presume the balance is referring to some sort of a honorable "fair play" scenario; If you have five weenies (common situation for white) and the enemy has one big demon and you play this, is it fair for the enemy?

>Most black discards get a clause "nonland".
I wonder why that is.
>Swords to Plowshares was a "mistake"
Not a design mistake, a developmental mistake.

I lied, one more. This is actually a Blue card from Innistrad block, which strikes me as strange, but I still like the idea.

>Most black discards get a clause "nonland".
Not that guy, but it's not that Black can't do it, it's that Wizards doesn't want it to. Black has gotten cards that can force a discard of any card, including lands, but Wizards doesn't want them to be cheap or widely available because then land denial becomes a possibility and it wouldn't be that hard to lock an opponent out of the game in a few turns. Also keep in mind that Black has access to land destruction as well.

White can sac, though it's usually attacking or blocking creatures. I agree with the other guy in that while it looks like a fair card, it's not at all like Balance or Cataclysm.

>I wonder why that is.
Because most discards are costed at 1 or 2 mana, which is generally the breaking point for when land depletion/destruction matters the most. Which is why Sinkhole is OP and Stone Rain isn't. It's the most important phase of the game in terms of mana.
>Not a design mistake, a developmental mistake.
You can't simply undo the 20 years of white decks playing STP or one of its cousins.

>Also keep in mind that Black has access to land destruction as well.
Except Sinkhole, what else? Nothing comes to mind. In ye olde days, green had land destruction too, in Ice Storm, and even more recently Creeping Mold and Acidic Slime. Both are balanced by their relatively high mana cost though.

Last one, I swear.

>Also keep in mind that Black has access to land destruction as well.
Actually, let me talk about this for a bit. I know that a lot of people complain about the color pie, say it's constraining, it cuts down on creative, etc. I'm sure we've all heard it before. But here's the thing, every color has strengths and weaknesses for a reason. If a color could just do everything, why on earth would you play any of the other colors? This is the point of multicolor, you have more strengths, can cover more situations, and cover one color's weaknesses with the other, but it's also harder to construct because you have to worry about being mana screwed. The color pie is a system of checks and balances. It's there to ensure that gameplay doesn't become completely degenerate.

Seriously, listen to some discussions people have for commander, about color identities and picking which creature they want to be their commander, and you will see exactly what I'm talking about.

>Except Sinkhole, what else?
>If I don't know it, it doesn't exist.

Browsing through Gatherer I could've recalled Befoul, and there are a couple of other LD cards. But we're talking about land discard, plus as I said, green has LD too. Don't see anything particularily wrong with that pattern - it all nicely fits into Jund colors with red at the center.

>>Actually, let me talk about this for a bit. I know that a lot of people complain about the color pie, say it's constraining, it cuts down on creative, etc. I'm sure we've all heard it before. But here's the thing, every color has strengths and weaknesses for a reason. If a color could just do everything, why on earth would you play any of the other colors? This is the point of multicolor, you have more strengths, can cover more situations, and cover one color's weaknesses with the other, but it's also harder to construct because you have to worry about being mana screwed. The color pie is a system of checks and balances. It's there to ensure that gameplay doesn't become completely degenerate.
And now the question of colors bleeding into colors - in terms of multicolor, could land discard somehow usurp any other color's spotlight? Land discard is obviously synergistic with red land destruction. Black can provide removal to make way for your creature to inflict land discard, and also fights on the other discard front, removing the (primarily) nonland cards. For blue it's a boon in terms of tempo, which it lacks so much. White is the only color where the synergy isn't obvious, I guess it's similar to blue in this respect by generally creating more pressure on the opponent.

This is incredibly sexy

The red ability is too superior to the black one, since it does mostly the same thing but even directly helps you. Make it redirect spells (and maybe abilities? that would be too much probably) if the enchanted creature is targeted and you're set.
This is just a colorshifted Invisible Stalker.
This seems a toned down, but still really broken Channel.

You're both right about other colors having land destruction. But here's the question: What colors get targeted discard? When you get down to it, one, Black. No other color, outside of old cards and color pie bends, gets to look at an opponent's hand and have the player discard a card of your choice. Really, this is the main objection.

>This is just a colorshifted Invisible Stalker.
Yeah. That's why it's using the colorshifted frame.
>This seems a toned down, but still really broken Channel.
It's the same thing, but in Black! Granted, I need to update it for C mana, but still.

>The red ability is too superior to the black one, since it does mostly the same thing
The red one doesn't prevent or redirect damage, just deals it back.

I'd suggest making her a mythic then because that is a god damn strong rare. I guess people will still bounce it or silence

I'm not opposed to changing the card. I'd really rather not make it a mythic though. You have to spend mana to trigger the first ability? Tap on the second? Returning exiled cards to gain Indestructible?

>What colors get targeted discard?
At this point, only blue seldom I think. What's important is what constitutes a targeted discard: can we consider land and nonland cards equals when it comes to discarding? Handling either has very different impacts on the game, and the general card advantage rules seem rather fuzzy when it comes to lands - Life From The Loam would've been the second coming of Ancestral Recall if not so.
>Yeah. That's why it's using the colorshifted frame.
It fits into Dimir colors so it works well, but it seems rather boring otherwise. Plus the original Stalker is a very frustrating and hateable card on its own.
Oh, missed that, well it sounds much more fair now. But on that case the red effect might even be underpowered - generally you get a creature dependant, creature-targetting Bolt for 1RR out of it unless you stick it on a wall or something.

Apparently, it seems that a dinosaur plane is in the near future. Any thoughts? Any ideas or designs for dinosaur cards? Note: Dinosaurs have the type "Lizard", there is no "Dinosaur" type currently.

A pair of 1/1 token dinosaurs that eats (sacrifices) a fellow creature to get its +*/* power bonus. Worst case, one eats the other for a 2/2.

We begin with the Fool, a card of beginnings. The Fool stands for each of us as we begin our journey of life. He is a fool because only a simple soul has the innocent faith to undertake such a journey with all its hazards and pain.
At the start of his trip, the Fool is a newborn - fresh, open and spontaneous. The figure on Card 0 has his arms flung wide, and his head held high. He is ready to embrace whatever comes his way, but he is also oblivious to the cliff edge he is about to cross. The Fool is unaware of the hardships he will face as he ventures out to learn the lessons of the world.

The Fool stands somewhat outside the rest of the major arcana. Zero is an unusual number. It rests in the exact middle of the number system - poised between the positive and negative. At birth, the Fool is set in the middle of his own individual universe. He is strangely empty (as is zero), but imbued with a desire to go forth and learn. This undertaking would seem to be folly, but is it?

On setting out, the Fool immediately encounters the Magician and the High Priestess - the great balancing forces that make up the perceived world. It is a feature of the material universe that as soon as we name some aspect of experience, we automatically evoke its opposite.
The Magician is the positive side. He represents the active, masculine power of creative impulse. He is also our conscious awareness. The Magician is the force that allows us to impact the world through a concentration of individual will and power. The High Priestess is the negative side. She is the mysterious unconscious. She provides the fertile ground in which creative events occur. The High Priestess is our unrealized potential waiting for an active principle to bring it to expression.

The terms positive and negative do not imply "good" and "bad." These are human distinctions that do not apply in the tarot. The Magician and the High Priestess are absolutely equal in value and importance. Each is necessary for balance. We may view the negative as our Shadow, but without shadows, we cannot see the light, and without a ground of potential, we cannot create.

As he grows, the Fool becomes more and more aware of his surroundings. As with most babies, he first recognizes his Mother - the warm, loving woman who nourishes and cares for him. He also comes to know Mother Earth, who nurtures him in a larger sense.
The Empress represents the world of nature and sensation. A baby delights in exploring everything he touches, tastes and smells. He cannot get enough of the sights and sounds that enchant his senses. It is natural to delight in the abundant goodness of Mother Earth who surrounds us with her support.

The next person the Fool encounters is the Father in the figure of the Emperor. He is the representative of structure and authority. As a baby leaves his mother's arms, he learns that there are patterns to his world. Objects respond in predictable ways that can be explored. The child experiences a new kind of pleasure that comes from discovering order.
The Fool also encounters rules. He learns that his will is not always paramount and there are certain behaviors necessary for his well-being. There are people in authority who will enforce such guidelines. These restrictions can be frustrating, but, through the patient direction of the Father, the Fool begins to understand their purpose.

Eventually, the Fool ventures out of his home into the wider world. He is exposed to the beliefs and traditions of his culture and begins his formal education. The Hierophant represents the organized belief systems that begin to surround and inform the growing child.
A Hierophant is someone who interprets arcane knowledge and mysteries.
The child is trained in all the practices of his society and becomes part of a particular culture and worldview. He learns to identify with a group and discovers a sense of belonging. He enjoys learning the customs of his society and showing how well he can conform to them.

Eventually, the Fool faces two new challenges. He experiences the powerful urge for sexual union with another person. Before, he was mainly self-centered. Now he feels the balancing tendency, pictured in the Lovers, to reach out and become half of a loving partnership. He yearns for relationship.
The Fool also needs to decide upon his own beliefs. It is well enough to conform while he learns and grows, but at some point, he must determine his own values if he is to be true to himself. He must start to question received opinion.

Which wording is better?

Wouldn't be too surprised to see something like this in the four-color commander set. These are a good example of simple, conservative, well-thought-out design.
Regarding Grimwood Squire: Prowess isn't as solidly UW as flying, but then what are you going to do for UB? Life is suffering for hybrid UB. Also, regeneration seems out of place alongside modern mechanics like Menace and Prowess, but again, nothing else fits. Deathtouch doesn't play well with Prowess, but it might be your only option other than regeneration.

I don't see the point in making these hybrid, however. They could cost [3], for all the effect their mana cost has on their abilities. I think you're reaching too far.

By the time the Fool becomes an adult, he has a strong identity and a certain mastery over himself. Through discipline and will-power, he has developed an inner control which allows him to triumph over his environment.
The Chariot represents the vigorous ego that is the Fool's crowning achievement so far. On Card 7, we see a proud, commanding figure riding victoriously through his world. He is in visible control of himself and all he surveys. For the moment, the Fool's assertive success is all he might wish, and he feels a certain self-satisfaction. His is the assured confidence of youth.

This could be interesting as an enchantment, or stapled to a creature. Love the effect, anyway.

Over time, life presents the Fool with new challenges, some that cause suffering and disillusionment. He has many occasions to draw on the quality of Strength. He is pressed to develop his courage and resolve and find the heart to keep going despite setbacks.
The Fool also discovers the quiet attributes of patience and tolerance. He realizes the willful command of the Chariot must be tempered by kindliness and the softer power of a loving approach. At times, intense passions surface, just when the Fool thought he had everything, including himself, under control.

Sooner or later, the Fool is led to ask himself the age-old question "Why?" He becomes absorbed with the search for answers, not from an idle curiosity, but out of a deeply felt need to find out why people live, if only to suffer and die. The Hermit represents the need to find deeper truth.
The Fool begins to look inward, trying to understand his feelings and motivations. The sensual world holds less attraction for him, and he seeks moments of solitude away from the frantic activity of society. In time he may seek a teacher or guide who can give him advice and direction.

After much soul-searching, the Fool begins to see how everything connects. He has a vision of the world's wondrous design; its intricate patterns and cycles. The Wheel of Fortune is a symbol of the mysterious universe whose parts work together in harmony. When the Fool glimpses the beauty and order of the world, if only briefly, he finds some of the answers he is seeking.
Sometimes his experiences seem to be the work of fate. A chance encounter or miraculous occurrence begins the process of change. The Fool may recognize his destiny in the sequence of events that led him to this turning point. Having been solitary, he feels ready for movement and action again. His perspective is wider, and he sees himself within the grander scheme of a universal plan. His sense of purpose is restored.

The Fool must now decide what this vision means to him personally. He looks back over his life to trace the cause and effect relationships that have brought him to this point. He takes responsibility for his past actions so he can make amends and ensure a more honest course for the future. The demands of Justice must be served so that he can wipe the slate clean.
This is a time of decision for the Fool. He is making important choices. Will he remain true to his insights, or will he slip back into an easier, more unaware existence that closes off further growth?

Undaunted, the Fool pushes on. He is determined to realize his vision, but he finds life is not so easily tamed. Sooner or later, he encounters his personal cross - an experience that seems too difficult to endure. This overwhelming challenge humbles him until he has no choice but to give up and let go.
At first, the Fool feels defeated and lost. He believes he has sacrificed everything, but from the depths he learns an amazing truth. He finds that when he relinquishes his struggle for control, everything begins to work as it should. By becoming open and vulnerable, the Fool discovers the miraculous support of his Inner Self. He learns to surrender to his experiences, rather than fighting them. He feels a surprising joy and begins to flow with life.

The Fool feels suspended in a timeless moment, free of urgency and pressure. In truth, his world has been turned upside-down. The Fool is the Hanged Man, apparently martyred, but actually serene and at peace.

>Strenght

kek

The Fool now begins to eliminate old habits and tired approaches. He cuts out nonessentials because he appreciates the basics of life. He goes through endings as he puts the outgrown aspects of his life behind him. He process may seem like dying because it is the death of his familiar self to allow for the growth of a new one. At times this inexorable change seems to be crushing the Fool, but eventually he rises up to discover that death is not a permanent state. It is simply a transition to a new, more fulfilling way of life.

(I've been trying to work on a death card for ages, and nothing has stuck. Ideas and designs are welcome.)
kek

Since embracing the Hermit, the Fool has swung wildly back and forth on an emotional pendulum. Now, he realizes the balancing stability of temperance. He discovers true poise and equilibrium. By experiencing the extremes, he has come to appreciate moderation. The Fool has combined all aspects of himself into a centered whole that glows with health and well-being. The Fool has come a long way in realizing the harmonious life.