Be me

>be me
>not DM a 1st edition game in 7 years
>friends think I would make a good DM
>they give me a quest to DM
>tell me they want to play in a fortnight

I think I am going to fuck up. I am well versed in tabletop games and rules as a player but now it is my time to be a DM. I've read the DM's guide but what I am worried about is that they will lose interest.

If any of you DM's out there can give some of their own personal advice to make a game interesting and enjoyable please post ITT.

I find adding elf girls and fetish material at infrequent but still present intervals keeps people paying attention.

>worried about preparing a pre-written quest in a fortnight
Is this another variation of the "tfw 10 word essay due in 5 years" meme?

>fortnight
Who the fuck uses that word?

The problem is the quest. They all want me to DM this game and tell me it will be easy. But its just a canvas. If the DM is uninteresting the players won't be interested. Thank god they didn't make me create my own dungeon from scratch.

Bongs, I believe.

Well you're probably going to fail miserably and everyone is going to be upset. Just quit now

This
Just give up OP, there's no chance you can make this work.

Bong reporting, can confirm.
I didn't even know it wasn't a thing everywhere.

Well considering you have a whole (colloquialism for week period) to prepare I would not worry about it too much.

What do they want? A one-shot, a campaign?
Talk to your players about what kind of setting, themes and structures they would enjoy or avoid. If the game is going to be in a homebrew setting, invite them to collaborate.

Have the imagination of a rock? Just read a pile of modules and the like for inspiration. The DIY end of OSR comes to mind - go ask /osrg/ for some blog/module recommendations.

A lot of GMing comes down to confidence, and the best way to be confident is to believe in whatever idea you have, and the best way to do THAT is to have one you think is good. Unfortunately good ideas don't get made on a timetable, so I would recommend telling your players that the two week boundary will be flexible by like a week each side. You will come up with something well before then, its more to do with taking pressure off yourself to increase work efficiency.

A final, slightly off-topic note: when working on something, I find it is really useful to keep a mental list of misc ideas somewhere - on a notepad or notepad phone app, whichever you will have on you more often - and just scribble down anything that might be usable that occurs to you during the day. When you are actively working on whatever it is, you can dredge the document for ideas to use.

>I am well versed in tabletop games and rules as a player but now it is my time to be a DM. I've read the DM's guide but what I am worried about is that they will lose interest.

I'm in a similar boat. Just started DMing for my friends after several years playing. I sweated like a pig during my first session and made so many mistakes.

I guess each of us has to start somewhere. I think we can do it user.

The best way to learn GMing is by doing. You WILL fuck up, so don't bother worrying about that. After every session, make your players stay for long enough to give you some feedback to help you improve.

Look they're feeding you the base. Just run with it. Throw random shit on top, use generators or whatever. Expand on things they latch onto.

Pull out "I'm a newgm gimme a moment to figure shit out" card whenever you need to.

Or boys!

It's typically something you only hear in fantasy novels or from older, Southern folks here in America.

Make sure at least one player character gets raped each session, and that every player character has been raped at least once by the time the campaign ends.

This. A little rape makes everything more believable.

For added effect you and the lads can actually rape the other person! This works best when the selected player is a girl.

Nah, it's more frightening if you rape the boys. The girls expect to be raped at least once. It just isn't as shocking.

Isn't it better to rape the boys who think they are girls?

No, because the ones that think they're girls also expect rape. You aim for the most heterosexual gender-normative normie boys when you're looking for rape victims.

Do you have experience with this?

You got a prefab'd module to go with? 80% of the work is already done then, most players are just happy to have a GM so they won't be too picky. You can just halfass some additions or plot spinoffs to McGyver a followup adventure from and it'll be fine. No worries!

Don't be trolls to people who actually want to learn the game.

Players won't lose interest so long as there is fun stuff to do.

Characters to talk to
Monsters to fight
Interesting challenges and shit.

Also focus on their characters, their motivations, and what they can do. Easiest way to keep them engaged.