Dropzone / Dropfleet Commander

best battleship edition.

>DZC Rules, units, errata, etc
mediafire.com/folder/3e69ovwksc27r/DZC#3e69ovwksc27r

>dropfleet preorder, showing prices and lotsa pics
waylandgames.co.uk/3951-dropfleet-commander

Initial topic of the thread: What do you think the corvettes for the various factions might look like? battlecruisers? dreadnoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11048932
youtube.com/watch?v=nhq2U5jtAi0
youtube.com/watch?v=TeJe6FLD-4M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What am I even looking at? It looks like a vertically confused trilobite.

A battleship.

Not the best battleship, though.

Scourge Battleship. All of those segmented parts are individual pieces that you can model. They actually look pretty different from their cruisers and frigates in my opinion.

The ship pictured is the Daemon class, loads of standard scourge lasers with a pair of Furnace Cannons.
There's also a version called the Dragon, which trades those scourge lasers for a hangar bay and a pair of Corruptor Torpedoes.

Corruptor Torpedoes are unpleasant. Imagine a missile the size of the NY State building that is also filled with razorworms.

>Scourge Battleship. All of those segmented parts are individual pieces that you can model.

Turning or rearing... decisions, decisions.

Eh, I like the Minos. But I think the Herakles is probably the better of the two PHR Battleships.
Plus, I think "best battleship" title might just go to the Diamond yet. We really need to see the stats on that thing.

I like the other PHR battleship, but that one just looks like it's got acne.

This was on the preview pages on Wayland as well. Should be easy enough to make your own tokens out of it, if you don't mind them all being 2D.

Prove to me that the Daemon is not the best looking battleship.

Protip: You can't.

If only there were some precedent for missile launchers looking like that

The Heracles exists.

Done.

Not an argument.

Heracles is lower tier than the UCM BBs. The PHR cruisers are more graceful and interesting than their BBs.

>ucm dreadnought
>inb4 it has a quad array of cobra lasers
>inb4 it's something straight out of LotGH

>LotGH
Literally what

Best looking, maybe. But the Dragon is the one I'll be running because holy shit lol torpedoes that are packed full of thousands of fucking razorworms.

Order is:

New York > Beijing > Platinum > Minos > Heracles > Dragon > Daemon > Diamond

>he doesn't appreciate the slender, smooth chassis of the Heracles
>he doesn't understand the allure of that gently curving hull as it tapers gracefully toward the prow dark matter cannon
>he doesn't grasp the subtle beauty of those elegant maneuvering fins

Bruh you could have just said you were a pleb.

strawpoll.me/11048932

youtube.com/watch?v=nhq2U5jtAi0

>His ship is made of rigid unliving chunks of metal instead of highly advanced articulated vat-grown biotech
NOTHING LIKE BEING ON THE BEAUTIFUL PLANET EARTH BREATHING IN ALL THIS SWEET REFRESHING EARTH ATMOSPHERE.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
SCOURGIES GET OUT

>his ship isn't nanomachines

Bruh.

Also, Earth is history. Glory to the Spaceball.

>Their Battleships don't have guns so loud you can hear them in space.
>They can't even download a car!

ALSO, WHAT ARE THESE "CHILLI DOGS" THAT YOUR AMBASSADOR KEEPS OFFERING ME?

>primitives arguing about starvessel design
By the Elders!

This just in: incompetent ayy lmaos too afraid to fight the Scourge directly, unlike glorious muscular PHR and strong virile UCM.

Read all about it in Reconquest Part II, citizens.

The minos's launch tubes aren't quite regular enough for that comparison to hold.

>SCANS

>WHEN

Actually, Scourge ships are mostly manufactured, and from metal at that. They just contain some biological elements, indicating parts of them may be grown.

Also, what if the reason Scourge hosts sweat so profusely is because they've discovered the glory of the human ass? Would explain why they're so desperate to get their hands on our bodies.

> He believes he knows everything because a parasitic primitive told him so.

[amused spine rustling]

Probably because there are also other things in there.

Launch tubes will look like that on a sloped surface.

>tfw you don't even have ships
W-we have hovercrafts, tho...

This just in; primitives still using physical projectiles as primary weapons like the plebeians they are.

You don't need spaceships when you have explosives so whack the shockwaves reach orbit.

Must really sting when those pleb weapons tear your little paper armored ships to pieces lol

Do you not know what a gauss cannon is?

>primitives don't know what shields are
:^)

Primary starship weapons*

:^)

>just take those weapons from those Destroyers and sempai will notice us!

It's kinda sucky for the 5 minutes or so before I get a new body.

How's mortality going for ya?

Touche, motherfuckers.

>Be Shaltari
>Ship designers ask if they should add armor
>"Nah, we've got shields"
>"Yeah, and we would still include those, but they don't always work"
>"Look, if we add armor then the brass is going to start asking what we're spending all of this money on shields for, and if we lose the shields the union will really fuck us over"
>"What if we called it a structural element?"
>"No"

>Shaltari
>using such primitive economic models like "capitalism"

Actually lol'd

Yeah, it'd be more like this

>So, these humans are using this thing on their ships...
>Shields?
>No... they call it "armour"
>Right?
>Well, thing is, why don't we use that stuff? We armour war-striders all the time and they still have shields.
>Yeah, you see, there's a reason for that.
>Which is?
>Ship captains complain we were talking the challenge out of it.
>So, what you are telling me, is that our generals are sensible, but our ship captains are lunatics.
>Excatly. And would YOU want a lunatic in charge of a battleship that's basically unkillable?
>Point taken.

Bruh, you're perfect just the way you are, don't let nobody say otherwise.

Hovercraft are sweet.

Gonna be honest, Marcus looks like an absolute bro.

The kind of Chad you can't help but like, not the kind that you have to hate.

Barros being bro-tier is actually kinda canon.

From Reconquest:

>"Barros makes himself known before any encounter as he always offers any UCM adversary the chance to surrender."

Based cyborg Chadwick.

>Colonial Legionaries secure rural sector
youtube.com/watch?v=TeJe6FLD-4M

We're all gonna make it, brah.

>Republic Forces take a single building

Who's cornflakes did those guys piss in?

Blue Space Nazis.

It's from the recent remake of Space Battleship Yamato. Basically, there's an imperialistic race of blue people out there and they have a no mercy policy toward anyone that crosses them. The same thing happens to Earth. When everyone flees deep underground they start dropping fauna that will change the planet's surface to one uninhabitable by humans, and occasionally toss a token asteroid its way.

>Now how about fighting for the PHR?

What anime is this?

Literally two posts above you, newfag.

>start dropping fauna that will change the planet's surface to one uninhabitable by humans
Like more humans?

The name is actually Blue Space Nazis? I thought that was a joke

>He only reads the first line of every post

Come into the light, sweet summer child.

The show is Space Battleship Yamato 2199, a remake of the 70s show. Its quite good, actually. The antagonists are blue skinned nazis with space ME262s, laser lugers, grizzled space uboats and a handsome bishonen fuhrer.

>Trump

Nnno thanks.

Get this bullshit out of my space warship thread.

I read the other lines. Still thought he was jokingly saying the title is Blue Space Nazis.

>He only reads the first line of every post
Even if I had read the first post the sample size would be one.

Yeah. It's a campy space adventure and it doesn't pretend otherwise.

I wonder how you'd stat the Wave Motion Gun in Dropfleet.

Sorry senpai. Posting Big Guns now.

Has the wave motion gun ever missed?

The Heraclese has the unique Dark Matter Gun, which is close enough....

>big guns

Please, colonist.

Barros has bigger guns on his arms.

delusional posthumanists please go

This thread is for honest men.

impossible to say without having any way to gauge the durability of ships from SBY, probably be a bullshit OP Weapon though, as most stuff from anime is.

...I don't think so?

It tends to get disabled until the end of an episode, though.

I'd say it'd have the special rule Climactic. The later in the game you decide to fire it, the more likely it is to hit. It starts at Lock Value 5+ and drops by one each turn, not to represent accuracy, but the chance that PLOT will get in the way of firing it. Like torpedoes, it can only be fired once.

It'd be damage 20 or some shit, and ignore armour. Probably have a blast effect with damage D3+3 to surrounding ships. Or you could fire it at the ground and automatically draw the game if you hit, seeing as there is no longer a planet to land on.

Honest men admit that they were wrong.

For example, they would admit that not following the glorious White Sphere to PHR utopia was a poor idea and nobody's fault but their own.

The guns on that ship are objectively smaller. Tell me again who's dishonest here?

And voluntary enslavement is still slavery.

Many black powder muskets have muzzle energies and wound profiles similar to modern pistols.

I really fucking want the battlecruisers. Anyone with a commodore got extras they want to sell?

Those heavy broadsides pack a significantly weightier punch than the heavy mass drivers.

In a firefight between the Atlantis and the Achilles, the Achilles would be hitting on a 2+, critting on a 4+.

I thought we were discussing size, not efficacy.

The word bigger can be used metaphorically

>Corruptor Torpedoes are unpleasant. Imagine a missile the size of the NY State building that is also filled with razorworms.
Sounds like Tyranid ordnance.

How does this game stack up against BFG, if anyone is familiar with that?
What's the fluff like?
How many alien and human factions?

Haven't played BFG, but the lead designer for it is also heavily involved in DFC, so my guess is that it could compare favorably.

Fluff is pretty typical military sci-fi, but there's nothing wrong with that. Aliens have invaded Human space, and now the UCM is coming back to reclaim their worlds.

Two human, two alien factions.

With another almost-certainly alien faction being released soonish

Give me a rundown? Do different factions actually play differently?

instant death to it's target and anything in the beam's path

Very

>How does this game stack up against BFG, if anyone is familiar with that?

Designed by the same guy. He's literally using this as a chance to fix everything he did wrong in BFG.

The game is more about objectives than fisticuffs in space, though.

>What's the fluff like?

Interesting but sparse. It's unfolding as a story as more expansion books come out. It's essentially all about humans trying to take back Earth from a race of bodysnatchers.

>How many alien and human factions?

Two human, two alien.

There's the UCM, who are 'standard' humans. They're a super-militaristic society that built itself up on the harsh frontier worlds that nobody wanted to live on after aliens took all their good planets. They're intent on retaking what they've lost.

There's the PHR, who are people that were warned of the alien invasion by an advanced AI and left human space beforehand. Now they've become super advanced cyborgs. They're trying to manipulate stuff from the sidelines.

The Scourge are the main 'bad guys'. Neuroparasites who invaded human space a little over a hundred years ago. They wear out their hosts after a little over a hundred years and are constantly seeking new species to consume.

Then there's the Shaltari, hyper-advanced ayy lmaos that have achieved immortality through consciousness-manipulating tech. They showed humanity the way to the Cradle Worlds and are super bloodthirsty warriors split into multiple disparate 'tribes'.

They seem to play VERY differently.

UCM have generally tough ships with variable arcs of fire. Their weapons aren't the strongest or the most numerous, but they're the best at bringing all of them to bear at one time.

Scourge have fast ships with middling armour and hull points, but exceptionally potent weapons, especially at close range. Almost all their weapons work a little differently from the 'standard' guns of other factions, like their torpedoes to less damage outright but continue to inflict hurt after the impact. They have a lot of stealth tech.

PHR have the most durable ships, as well as good scan ranges (this, plus the signature of the ship you're targeting, determines whether you're in range) and the most overall guns. They're slower that the other fleets, however, and their weapons are on opposite arcs, meaning you have to position well if you want to unload with everything. Their transport ships use heavy cruiser chassis' rather than normal cruiser ones like other factions. Also, their guns are specialized to hit certain targets (i.e. light caliber batteries get bonuses against frigates, heavy caliber batteries get those bonuses against battlecruisers and upwards).

Shaltari are probably the weirdest. They have the largest scan range, the weakest armour, and the most potent firepower at long range. Their stuff tends to fire in the front narrow arc, though, so they essentially joust with particle cannons. They have terrible armour low signatures, so getting them in range is hard, and they can switch on their shields to reverse this somewhat, granting them a slightly better save at the cost of giving them a massive signature. They don't have troop carries like the other factions, instead they have a mothership with attached warp gates.

>Designed by the same guy. He's literally using this as a chance to fix everything he did wrong in BFG.
Yusssss.
>The game is more about objectives than fisticuffs in space, though.
TAKE ME NOW.

I'm liking the sound of it. Only thing would be trying to figure out what I wanted to play, UCM, PHR, and Scourge all sound pretty fun. What does 'getting into it' entail? What are we talking in terms of dollarydoos and mini/rules investments?

What about when we stick a larvae down your throat? Reincarnate your way out of that?

I'm going to pry open your suit, and eat the delecious insides.

prolly looking at about now, ballpark value of 250-300 for a decent fleet + rulebook, but not totally sure as the retail hasnt been sorted

250-300 USD that is, might be less

Scans when?

Also if you aren't aware, Hawk Wargames is an astounding group. It's like 5 people, started by a guy (Dave) who could 3D model and wanted to make his family of dream wargames. He's their head PR guy too, and even packs models into the boxes. I don't get how he doesn't die of sleep deprivation, or become anything but an amazingly chill dude.

Dropfleet's coming out within the next month or so for general release (right after us kickstarter backers get our shit) and is looking to be /excellent/ on all respects. Models, rules and support.

The game being uniquely about the naval aspect of a planetary invasion and providing space-to-ground fire support is really, really neat as well. As a former BFG player, I simply can't wait.

Stop doing this to me.

The last time I was this hype for a spacegame from a tiny studio who loved their work it was sword of the stars 2 :(

I do have some issues with a lot of the aesthetics (I don't know how this can be, but even as someone who comes from BFG, big gothic cathedrals in space, these ship models look overloaded with detail) but the game sounds dead 'on and the aesthetics aren't *that* bad.

And I assume they're like warhams wargames, unpainted, unassembled?

How much information IS out if the game isn't in retail yet?

Sword of the Stars 2 was made by a team of people who went insane in the wrong direction. Stupid inane detail instead of elegant mechanics that capture the right feel, without being stupid.

So far, we have probably 75% of the rules in common circulation based on promotional leaks and beta players. Only a handful of stat profiles. The ones that are mostly not out are the interactions of ground forces, such as the armored and infantry regiments your troop transports and strike carrier deposit on city sectors as a common mission objective.

The models are unpainted plastic, on sprues. The quality of the plastic is excellent, as evidenced by photos and of Hawk's previous work with the ground game, Dropzone. Non-core ships (ie, Battleships) will be in high-detail resin which honestly, is the best resin I've ever worked with. Firm and holds insane detail.

>And I assume they're like warhams wargames, unpainted, unassembled?
Yes, despite jokes to the contrary

>How much information IS out if the game isn't in retail yet?
You'll see almost all of it discussed here.

>SotS 2
>stupid inane detail
Have you ever heard of EU 4 or CK 2?