Losing Body Parts and Eyes: Permanent wounds thread

In our last session of 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons my Bard character got his hand cut off by a group of fiends and also lost an eye. Ironically my character was a former pirate but he has lost is dominant sword fighting hand. (His right) and now has an eye patch over his left eye.
So where do I go from here?
Have any of you personal characters lost limbs/eyes?
Pic somewhat related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YtyU2PJCk7Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Lost a finger playing that dumb knife game

Did it really effect anything?

-50 to all rolls because of nerve damage after being criticaled. Had to retire the character to drink himself to death as a drunkard of the nearest urban settlement. We were not high enough level to pay for the nerve repair spells required.

I love Rolemaster.

That's depressing,

Also, would something like this work? A medieval prosthetic?

Not really. Only had him for two sessions and I love the realism of the likely fate of most adventurers. Plus this was one of my first characters in the system and I didn't realize how important it was to PARRY. Taught me quick.

Honestly, I love the system. The danger of knowing that at any moment my character could be ruined. You don't get that with shitty modern games. Too many pussy entitled shits playing games nowadays.

For only war, our squad ran into a Tyranid warrior leading some gaunts. My guardsgirl had both her legs eaten down to the bone by its Deathspitter. Luckily some cogboys HAPPENED to be in the area and we're kind of bored, so they gave her some robo limbs.

It's kind of sad/funny because she comes from a feudal world, so she refused to have them installed because she didn't understand them. Her squad drugged her and dragged her to the techpriests who did their work, and now she's pissed off about it.

reminds me of lamentations of the flame princess. pretty much every module written for that game includes multiple ways to become horribly aged and die, lose limbs to hazards and traps, and contract disease that will rot your brain from the inside and open lesions in your flesh.

1) He could train to be better with his left hand. You'd still have shortcomings with being one eyed, but you could still manage.
2) prosthetic hand a la Merle Dixon, with a shortened rapier attachment so you could still use finesse weapons with less penalty. You could also stick with the mini hook fingers as an attachment, so you could cock a crossbow and still hit the trigger with your dominant arm. A bow would be feasible, but you'd have to spend extra to have custom arrow nocks made, so that you could draw back the arrow. To release it, slip your hooks from the nock, and fire. Also for a bow, keep your quiver on your left hip so you can reach down and already have your arrow positioned to be nocked and fired

Every time i play edge of empire i loose a body part. My last char, a twelek lost both arms a leg, and the tip of a tentacle.

Jamie Lannister made it work,

Now lose a leg to a shark and your liver to alcoholism and you'll be back in the pirate business.

Damn how did that happen?

>hand and eye taken by fiends

wew

Here's a really shitty example of the nocks that could be made, and the basic shape and size of the mini hooks for a prosthetic

That could work, good idea.

How would one going about finding a magical eyepatch though?
Like The corsairs eyepatch which allows increased vision

What? Don't believe me?

Enchanted scrying glass orb?

My rogue nearly lost a hand to a trap, but was spared with a decent dex save.

A party NPC got an eye poked out though. The puns were endless.

Have it enchanted so that you can see "aura and magical forces for twenty minutes, and as many times a day as your character level." A long rest needs to be completed in addition though, before you can reuse this enchanted ability

He has disadvantage on perception checks and ranged attack rolls. Also he can't hold anything with two hands and can only hold one object at a time.

Oh, that was in the Dungeon Masters guise anyways so you don't even need that PDF.
it is neat tho

One character lost his left leg and a kidney to a Beholder.

One character lost half her right arm because Orb of Annihilation.

One character lost his hands from a line of acid attack.

I've never had the pleasure of a character being maimed or wounded in a face-to-face melee fight. Fucking magic man...

Good list, thanks!

he had the high ground

>he was the chosen one

Are you me? My Bard lost an eye and got one side of his face Harvey Dent'd while wandering a crypt in a 5e game. (The DM wanted to use a lingering wounds table that would give you permanent effects if you got knocked to 0 HP or got hit by a critical.)

But hey, at least I didn't get my leg bitten off by a Xorn like the sorcerer in our party did. I had to carry him around for the next few sessions using my Goliath strength.

I had a paladin lose an arm once. Luckily, it wasn't the dominant hand, and I got to use the oppurtunity to build character - they didn't just mope around, they wanted to get back into the fight without even waiting for a prosthetic.

Well, for Rolemaster, every COMBAT has those possibilities. Just not parrying enough will get you maimed and probably dead very quickly.

Shatter foe's knee. +9 hits. Foe is knocked down and is stunned and unable to parry for 3 rounds. Foe is at -90.

There is an example of a medium or C class critical strike with a blunt weapon. And with the rules in full force, after combat a check is made to see if any of the negative is permanent or just temporary. Fail the check and it is nerve damage and therefore requires special spells, beyond the normal hit, blood, and bone spells required for healing.

This can happen on any combat. More likely to happen in a combat with moron berserker style players that don't parry. Or noobs, like I was.

And to finish, here is a lesser crit or an A class critical.

Head strike breaks foe's nose. If foe has helm, he is stunned 3 rounds. If not, foe is knocked out for at least 2 hours.

Well you see the first time, i accidentally went to a show down with a bunch murcs out in the desert, all the bad guys had disruptors, i tried to steal their ship, no more left arm, then the left leg had a simaler thing with disruptors. The right arm i completly forgot. Needless to say fantasy flight is brutal with the crit tables.

Bump

>Dick replacement

-Lost both legs by a flame wizard
-half of the head
-an arm
-got impaled by 10 spears simultaneously
-head got cut off

Luckily my character was based on regeneration, im talking wolverine meets alexander anderson levels so most of the time those things meant losing turns or being incapacitated

It was pretty fun because i got cut in half in the first session and all other players thought i was done for, only for my paladin to crawl in the ground to his legs and hold em to the wound till it healed

the mage fled

Dragon tore off my dwarf's arm. Had to go out of my way to enchant an iron arm to use it as a perfect prosthetic so that I could wield greatswords again.

No idea, by it would be groovy.

youtube.com/watch?v=YtyU2PJCk7Y

When a character loses a limb, what should emotionally be happening to them?

Should they be depressed? Should they be trying to keep living their life as best they can, or would the average person be giving up on it?

One character, she lost an arm and a leg, an eye, and her skeleton. Also some organs.

Yes. It would work even better if you had a cannon inside of it.

>her skeleton
Rejoice! One of our brothers is free from his cage of flesh!

*Rattlerattlerattlerattlerattle*

That really depends on the character. Most people in real life have a very hard time coping with it though, especially if it was their dominant hand. An adventurer would probably give up at that point if they didn't have a way to replace their lost limb and aren't abnormally dedicated

Depression meets the will to overcome. It's grueling, but can be rewarding

Story Time?

She suffered a pretty nasty microwave accident. Her skeleton basically rubberized as the bones "boiled from within" and her organs turned to mush. The limbs were lost later on for amputation need due to infection from where the accident took place.

Although she did survive, things only ended up getting worse for her.

>no bones
>lived

The wonders of super medical science!

What's gross to think about is her eyes could flop right out of her head when someone went to move her even slightly, what with "no bones"

How do things get worse from that? seems pretty damn awful to me...

What system did you play this character in?

It's not like her skeleton exploded from the accident, it just lost all consistency. It was later on, under medical procedure, that it had to be actually removed.

She became a cyborg heavily dependent on regular drugs to continue functioning, in a mostly lower tech setting. So for long periods while waiting for deliveries of said drugs, she was basically immobile. Plus some of the cybernetics were obvious so people were generally afraid or suspicious of her, unless she removed them but then was severely crippled.

Eventually she also got tricked into turning into a dragon similar to The Fly, and lost her mind through the transformation process.

That sounds like it would have gotten incredibly boring to play.

She was more a mentally competent and skilled character, so being terribly physically maladjusted wasn't such a hindrance to roleplay.

At that point I hope you let someone mercy kill her

One of my players in Dark Heresy is a psyker. Last session, he horribly botched his Power Test and the subsequent Psychic Phenomena test, leading to Perils of the Warp.

In short, his body couldn't handle the amount of warp energy it was channeling, which manifested as arcing lightning that hit everything within 50 meters. As well as the damage from the psychic overload, the energy cooked off the ammunition on his person, maiming him horribly. He also managed to wound and nearly maim another party member in the process, and turned roughly 8 cultists in smoking meat.

Semi-related, I played an Iron Hands devastator who contracted Nurgle's Rot in his legs during a daemonic incursion. He had a squadmate cut them off to keep it from spreading, and had to be dragged for the rest of the session once he came back around from the shock and blood loss, firing his heavy bolter from the hip. Not much of loss I guess in that case.

>one NPC wears and eyepatch 24/7
>turns out she's impersonating someone who looks exactly like her, who lost an eye in the war

Is this based on anything? I'm considering stealing it for an NPC.

it's partially based on MGSV's plot twist and I'm 100% behind you using it because it's a good idea.

Such a lust for revenge

Dumb frogposters.

Stay mad