My Fucking Head Hurts Edition

My Fucking Head Hurts Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), Veeky Forums made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Mars Needs Women! Rampage of the Nerds! (V1.0.0), a new Veeky Forums made Only War supplement for playing as Skitarii, Cult Mechanicus, and joyriding an Ordinatus!
mediafire.com/?irijme05vbks7q4

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/xzrvbopveegvlsx/Ship_Tokens.zip
mediafire.com/download/9glgorfby279sdd/Spaz_Assets.zip
youtube.com/watch?v=7FPELc1wEvk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How do you spend your XP? As a GM, do you enforce certain rules beyond the common ones? As a player, do you try to RP XP spending? Do you spend it after every session, segment or campaign? Do PCs need to justify their sudden knowledge of acquired skills and talents? Do PCs need to have access to specialized trainers, books or places?

>tfw ded thread
Discuss how you use Necrons in your games or how you've seen Necrons used.

Well, I usually just handwave lore skills as 'the Inquisitor sat you down with this really huge book.' Combat talents and upgrades can be easily excused as 'Hey, I've been getting better at kicking ass. I'm going to try out this new trick on the next heretic we bump into!'

So my GM is running a Rogue Trader campaign soon and I chose Seneschal. I'm excited, but not totally sure how to play this guy besides "sneaky guy who can make lots of money"

Do you guys have any stories that could inspire how to play this guy. Failing that, what are some things I could read/watch?

You have to be the straight man. The Charles Foster Offdensen who tells the captain that plating your macrobatery porjectiles with gold is a waste of thrones.
The Arch-militant job is to save the Captain's life. Your job is to save the entire dynasty.

>putting the title in the name field
+++Thought for the day: A broad mind lacks focus+++

Posting my collections of Ship Tokens and trimmed/converted Space Pirates and Zombies assets again for anyone that likes building space battle scenes.

mediafire.com/download/xzrvbopveegvlsx/Ship_Tokens.zip

mediafire.com/download/9glgorfby279sdd/Spaz_Assets.zip

Once had a Necron Lord join our Rogue Trader party for a few sessions.

It was interesting and fun, but we had to drop the character because he simply wouldn't fit our campaign arc. Combat monster, hyper-intelligent, but he literally could not function in social settings due to his size and his extreme entitlement (even when we disguised him as a servitor).

One of our group made a Cryptek for our party. Even weirder, he made a C'tan shard master. I still don't know how he got that past the GM, or how she even accepted the character in the first place.

It was a short game, but somehow that cryptek had the most emotional mini-arc of all our characters, despite the ending being pretty much a jojo stand battle.

My explorers have just acquired a clan-kin crew. The players have collectively decided that the bulk of the crew resembles St. John's, Newfoundland in temperament.

How have your Rogue Trader groups flavored their ships?

we replaced our crew with robots after the explorator said it would be a good idea

a few hours later we remembered the explorator never has a good idea

An RT GM here. How far do you let Trade (Armourer) go for weapon modification?

I have an Explorator who wants to take two Stormbolters and use it to make them twin-linked together, since by RAW it doesn't say Twin-Linked and Storm are mutually exclusive. However, by RAW when the Arch-Militant Full Autos he's rolling at a BS of 103 at Rank 3 with this thing. However a full auto does use 16 bolt shells but can only generate a max of 9 hits cause the weapons full auto is 4, storm makes it 8, but then twin-linked says it uses twice as much ammo but only gets one extra hit at 2+ degrees of success. It also weighs 18kg.

As a GM would you veto this? I'm unsure since it would make Trade (Armorer) a very powerful skill, it's usually used to just install upgrades you bought outside of the original weapon purchase. However there isn't an actual twin-linked upgrade for weapons that I've seen.

Technically that's an Ork weapon upgrade.

It also depends on when you're applying the modifiers - are you applying the storm modifier AFTER or BEFORE the Twin-Link? Because applying Twin-Link before the Storm gives ((4+1)x2) = 10 hits per shot.It also uses 32 rounds (8x2 Twin Link x2 Storm = 32). It becomes too much effort for too little gain.

I'm assuming since they're storm bolters being twin-linked the twin-linking would apply after the natural base ability of the weapon. In fact I'd argue twin-linking would always follow storm since you're basically taping two storm weapons together so it would follow they would be storm before they were twin-linked.

Also the fire rate is 16 since it's base full auto 4 x 2 storm x 2 twin-linked = 16

So did my group's explorator just commit some major tech heresy?

Twin-linked doesn't double the fire rate. It only adds one extra hit if 2 DoS is scored. Then the Storm Quality doubles the number of hits the weapon generates. So it would be only 10 hits - 4 base, +1 for Twin-link, doubled to 10 for Storm.

And as for if it's heresy or not, it technically is. However, he can then go and add a third bolter to the clusterfuck. Then it magically becomes sanctioned, because he made a Hurricane Bolter.

Awkward, yes.

I need some maps/figures and some nice ideas you used for playing on roll20. Fresh GM, please help

>So did my group's explorator just commit some major tech heresy
If he made something new and an archmagos didn't sanction it after gratuitous amounts of red tape and ritual, then yes, yes he did,

Storytime?

I'm pretty sure we're talking around each other because of my wording, letting me reword what I'm saying.

After another read through I agree that it's twin-linked then storm now.

Twin-linked doesn't double the RoF stat, I know but I was using it more for rate of ammo consumption. So while on the weapon the RoF is still S/2/4 when it's fired it's effectively 2/4/8 for ammo consumption because of Twin-linked doubling that while adding one extra possible hit at 2+ degrees, +20 to BS. This gives us a max hit of 2/3/5 compared to an ammo consumption of 2/4/8 which Storm then doubles to 4/6/10 and 4/8/16 respectively.

I now find it hilarious that they will always miss 2 shots when Semi Bursting and 6 while Full Autoing

That makes sense, only terminators wield a stormbolter with any sense of real accuracy.

Currently playing a seneschal for a rogue trader going full debonair. I am the straight faced utilitarian who does what needs to be done in the background so that the rogue trader doesn't have to worry about it. He can maintain his heroic reputation with a few degrees of separation between his name and the sometimes terrible things I am doing in the background or even between sessions in order to keep things running smoothly and his enemies on the defensive.

How lenient or strict are you when GMing your Psykers, Veeky Forums?

Do you give them Fatigue for not performing their quota of meditations/prayers and thus having mini subconscious mental breakdowns while trying to sleep?

Do you enforce any modifiers to the Insanity/Mental Trauma system?

Do you remind the PCs after installing mental implants without first considering the different mentality of psychically aware Humans that they've just rendered the subconscious and conscious wards of the Psyker in flux?

Obviously there are different sorts of games in which different levels of such things are acceptable, but if a player were to whole-heartedly agree on RPing and suffering the consequences for being a psychically active Human, how far would you take it?

Giving something to players just to fuck them over the m-muh lore makes player start getting excuses to not get to your next session.

So Astropath Transcendents get a +20 to resisting possession. Do all astopaths get that +20 or what?

I'd assume that since they have the whole "gotta bind you so you're actually okay and won't explode into demons on the first day of the job" thing going for them.

Can you make a decent melee character out of a Blood Angels Apothecary/Sanguinary Priest in Deathwatch?

Well, cutting a long story short, one person made a Cryptek who wanted to study biotransference, so as to one day get a flesh body back. He was a C'tan shard master, and his shard was Yggra'nya, the Moulder of Worlds. Its power was the ability to reshape and restore organic material (inorganic material took more effort), so he was pretty much a ridiculously good healer for us (for Jojofags, his shard was half Crazy Diamond, half Gold Experience). As the game went on, we all had our personal arcs - the RT had a rival in xenotech shipping, the explorator wanted to make a great discovery, my arch-militant just wanted to fight people.

But our cryptek was different. He just wanted to be a good doctor and heal people with his shard. He would often post on noospheric message boards about medical breakthroughs and all (on the noosphere, nobody knows you're a Necron). In reality, nobody trusted him for being a xenos, but on the noosphere he could converse with the greatest Magi Biologis and learned adepts. Over time, he struck up a friendship with someone, a sickly woman on some hive world. She was sick for a long time, and always seemed evasive about details, because nobody really liked her, she said.

Well, a bunch of our arcs converge - the Explorator has made a great discovery in plasma tech, which was stolen by the RT's rival. The rival was traced to a hive world in the middle of nowhere. The RT orders an assault, and everyone hops on the gun cutter to bust some heads. The cryptek's friend, meanwhile, has said a final goodbye, as she sees ships in orbit. He realizes his friend is here. So we fight our way through private guards to get to this planetary governor. We keep fighting, until we get to the Planetary Governor. He tells us to come no closer, and he has a woman held as a shield, a needle pistol held to her side. While the RT begins a speech, the cryptek merely asks if she is the person from the noosphere, and then says that he will help her.

1/2

The girl is shocked that her friend is a necron, yet he is here to help. The cryptek is now close enough to realize what happened - she's a blank. Now nobody says a word as the cryptek walks to point blank range, the corrupt governor screaming not to come closer, the girl saying that her father must be stopped. We're all excited to see what happens. The governor, in an absolute panic, shoots his daughter in the gut with the needle pistol. Turns out that was a bad move.

The cryptek manifests Yggra'nya, his shard, and has it punch forward. The GM reminds him that if he does that they'll BOTH get impaled on the shard's claw. The cryptek tells her that that's exactly what he wants to happen. He reminds her of his transmutation ability.

What ends up happening is a series of willpower tests and damage rolls. First, the cryptek punches into his friend, and reconstitutes the toxic needle crystal to before it broke up inside her. During this, he finds out that his friend wasn't sick, but POISONED over time. He adds that poison to the crystal as well. He keeps his punch going into the governor, and releases the crystal inside his heart. Now, his c'tan shard can heal as well. As he pulls back, he declares that he'll minor heal only the hole he left, sealing the shard inside the governor. He completely heals his friend. The governor begins melting from concentrated supertoxin, and the cryptek begins tending to his friend.

End result is we left that world, we ended up chasing the RT's rival thanks to intel we found on world, the explorator got his discovery, I got to destroy people, and the cryptek got a loyal if slightly creepy nurse-assistant.

Good end.

>How have your Rogue Trader groups flavored their ships?
Hoo boy, this is a doozy. We basically flavor each and every ship differently and try to make it a unique setting. They include:
>Revenant's Embrace: A lost Monitor-Cruiser from outside the sector, its crew had slowly starved to death and the commanding Magi had servitorized everyone and then turned themselves into a hive mind of brains in jars hooked into the prime cogitator. Most of the ship was freezing cold to help preserve the servitors, except the few actual living quarters and the replica park to stave off void sickness.
>Prince's Sword: Bargain bin Strike Cruiser made from a Dictator class with a bombardment cannon. Firing weapons shook the whole ship, making a spectacular martial drumbeat that pushed everyone faster
>Fireblood: A creepy fucking ship with Wrathful and Haunted plus a Tenebro Maze. Finding your way around was nigh impossible due to one way and hidden doors, plans that mapped not at all to the actual ship, and lots of creepy hidden shrines full of skulls and crystals.
>Opulent Steed: A heavy raider with a gilded hull that could punch well above its weight class but was also a flying party bus the size of a city.
>Inescapable Justice: A teeny fucking tiny scout sloop from the DAoT (Here defined as .5km long by .2km abeam) with a keel mounted archeotech laser and best-craftsmanship everything. Zippy as hell, sneaky as hell, punched hard, hull made of paper. Was the personal Normandy of an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor.

I hope the ship's main alleyway is called Georges St.

What's a good name/stats for a weapon that attacks people using the psychic death screams of a hundred psykers.

I'm thinking anyone who hears it takes a -10WP test or takes 1d10+5 damage that ignores armor.

You don't stat something like that, user. How you stat it is, you upgrade it to a thousand psyker screams, you give it a name like the Terrorscream Annihilation Wave, you give it to the BBEG, and the players get some amount of turns to disable it. Put down a spindown die or three so can see exactly how long they have left. Once the countdown finishes, everything in the blast radius burns Fate or dies.

If you want not to use standard damage, give it a fear rating and insanity/corruption gain. Or Fatigue, or a semi-permanent egative modifier to WP or Int.

Anybody ever pull a bait and switch on you in regards to what you're actually fighting is?

All astropaths are soul bound, yes.

Still generating flavor, but was considering Water Street, with a more appropriate word than "Street."

The Rogue Trader is still getting used to being addressed as "Cap'n Dear." She lets the crew do it, but she put the first staff officer who tried it in the brig.

Is Rogue Trader a good system for a first time GM? None of my friends know about 40k shit but they want me to run this since they're taking an interest in the lore.

>be wounded sage with a fucking laspistol
>other two acolytes engaged with a powerblade guy
>one already wounded, both missing all their attacks
>laspistol did fuckall damage
>drop it and charge unarmed, missing
>powerblade guy all out attacks me
>imperial robes, 27 toughness, untrained Dodge
>roll unarmed parry because it's the best I got
>penalties cancelled by outnumbering bonus
>roll like shit as expected, basically 25% not to die
>mfw fate rerolling a 25
>mfw sage parrying a powerblade with his hands
>mfw assassin drops him on his turn because no defense
>mfw looting powerblade and concealable mesh

Oh and adding on to this, any good modules or tips on homebrewing? idk if you can even give tips on that

> First time GM
Wouldn't recommend Rogue Trader for a first-timer. Deathwatch is probably the most straightforward game in the system; RT isn't unmanageable, but there's a bunch of moving parts.

> Homebrew
See the OP, but seriously dude, one thing at a time.

noice

Thanks man, I'll bring it up with them.

>Deathwatch
>Straightforward
>Not Only War

What ended up being the ruling on this picture, anyway?

Tau could not technically deploy, therefore total space marine victory.

Other way around.

The group I run Rogue Trader was getting a tad uppity and felling like they're the hottest shit in the Koronus Exapanse.

So, I showed them a bigger fish. In the form of a Necron World and a Tomb Stalker.

Share the story.

>any .... tips on homebrewing?
Homebrew carefully and to fit a purpose. Like, if you want to fill what you see as a mechanical or fluff hole, create story opportunities, or whatever. "This seems like a neat idea" isn't bad in itself, but examine what makes it neat and what impact it might have on story or setting, then make it. Use official stuff as a guideline; you can have things that are wildly out of whack power-wise with the current stuff, but make sure it serves a purpose beyond being cool.
Then, once you have something you're happy with, show it to your friends and Veeky Forums. It will get torn apart. I'm sorry, but pain is temporary, peer review lasts forever and results in a stronger whole. Never expect the general population to treat you with kid gloves, but they will catch shit you never imagined.
t. an inveterate homebrewer who keeps meaning to release his stuff as soon as he gets off his ass and cleans it up

I'm not Shoggy and don't have the time to do a full write up, so I'll post the tl;dr.

>Group made a heavily armed transport in order to maximize Profit Factor.
>Gets a bunch of power armor, plasma/melta guns and power weapons.
>Think their hot shit.
>Turns out they are and are fairly successful, even to the point of being able to make several self sufficient colonies.
>Even when I make sure to show them the consequences of their actions, they're pretty good at mitigating them.
>glovescomeoff.gif
>next system I roll up has an alien civilization on it.
>mischieviousgrin.jpg
>They explore some ruins.
>Group walks face first into a Tomb Stalker.
>They try to fight it but end up getting due to the number of attacks it gets per round that go through power armor like butter and me using hit-and-run tactics.
>insert Run Away! scene from monte python and the holy grail here.
youtube.com/watch?v=7FPELc1wEvk

What, they didn't have a few dozen or so heavily armed guards?

> Only War
> Straightforward
I'm sure a bunch of uninvested greenhorns are going to love getting buttfucked by the regimental quartermaster.

>as soon as he gets off his ass and cleans it up

Justice is what occurred, user.

Powergamer gets fukkin rekt because he can't deploy his forces due to Kroot Infiltrators.

>explorater team lands on a feudal world, dominated by pre-industrial humans
>the navy backed team launches full scale expedition into the dense jungle to research some auspex anomaly
>after clearing away a large swath of jungle and leaving a crater in the earth, they come to a massive, ancient looking vault
>the possibility of an stc and archaeotech is too high for the explorators to ignore, and so they spend months cracking the safe
>the contents of the cache does prove to be ancient, however the machine spirit is alien and tainted
>before proper disposal protocol is able to commence, unspeakable horrors rip through the team, killing most and driving the rest mad
>the military camp stays occupied to attempt to contain the mess while the remaining team evacuates, and the incident is enough to quarantine the planet, despite valuable minerals, population and possible food sources to supply navy and guardsmen
>after a few years of remaining in contact with Imperial capital, the quarantine' s grip tightens, as the feudal world shifts into a death world
>populations and nomadic types near the fallout become aggressive but recede into the jungle, and wildlife twists and mutates into a violent, hellish mockery of what it used to be
>administratum left planetside calls for a priest and so, the Inquisition is alerted of the problem

...any tweaks or other campaign ideas for a party of four Inquisitors, consisting of a Heretek, Crusader, Daemon Binder and SoB surgeon?

Note that after the tournament, in votes amongst attendees, it was changed so that the Spess Mareens would come in anyway, but from one of the sides instead, to promote a "fairer game."

Make everything pop out guns and ammo.

That was the plan

Remember to also make things pop out money.

Don't bother. You made more money selling off your duffel bag of greens than you ever did actually grabbing money pickups.

>Not selling blues or purples you didn't ever use.

Of course you do that, or toss it to your teammates, but the duffel bag of greens never stops being your main moneymaker.

I pretty much played ODDBALL from kellys heros. It was fun

Come to think of it, what is even the point of money considering how easy it is to get ammo from the environment and how shit vending machine guns tend to be?

We ended up having to make regular trips to the Ammu-Nation machines to stock up, but then we were a bunch of FPS scrubs playing Mechromancer, Gunzerker, Commando, and Siren, so our accuracy was shit anyway.

The slot machines dropped legendaries

>Those FUCKING Torgue machines that dropped clusterbombs
We managed to party-wipe a couple times from those due to retardation and greed. Fun times.

>Mechromancer
>Accuracy meaning anything

At least the vending machines in TPS had legendaries for sale semi-frequently.

Same, and I actually got an Emperor or two from those ones

TPS made me cringe the whole way through. I barely beat it and put it right back down. Did I miss anything?

>TPS made me cringe the whole way through. I barely beat it and put it right back down. Did I miss anything?

Literally nothing user