/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Barbarian Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Barbarians are fucking great. Give me the best barbarians you've seen. "Me Grog me smash" need not apply.

You know what makes the best barbarian race? Cat girls - like explicitly pic related. Because they are fast and possibly strong.

Do you ever think about death?

What's the best way to emulate the feeling and quick movement of the fictional grapple gun in a fantasy D&D setting?

I've been playing a Goliath Totem Barbarian for a couple weeks, and I'm loving the fuck out of it. This mother fucker takes hits like a champ. Not to mention, Aspect of the Beast (Bear) and Powerful Build are just fun.

Shadow monk would be good for this, or the thief rouge with its climb speed.
Both?

Just make a gun that shoots grappling hooks? Maybe as a bonus action, or zip to it as an action?

Yes. I look forward to being with God. But I must fulfill my duties to Him on this earth before I depart.

One of those duties is to spread joy others. For instance, cat girls - for instance like pic related as an example of such a cat girl as a 5e D&D character race - make amazing use of the polearm master feat as paladins, giving them very reliable reaction and bonus action outlets in every combat.
Great synergy, especially when you take oath of devotion, since cat girls get a charisma bonus as a race in most homebrews (as they should).

What is a good class for someone who likes Cleric but doesnt want to play a Cleric in my next game?

Depends on what they like about cleric.

Caster that prepares from their entire class list: druid.

Devotee to a god or higher power: paladin.

Spreader of cheer and knowledge: bard.

Thats not a D&D catgirl
THIS is a D&D catgirl

What are some good feats for a chainlock to pick up? It seems like feats are more of a bladelock's thing, but I'm still curious.

I just want something that lets me move up and down quickly.

Wizards and Sorcerers can fly.

No that isn't. That's a furry. You are sadly mistaken.
A real example of a D&D cat girl is one that more aesthetically resembles this explicit example picture of a 5e D&D cat girl that I am attaching to this post for the express purpose of providing a demonstration for the point we're having a conversation over and that I'm articulating in this and in previous posts.

5e D&D cat girls only have hair on their heads, eyebrows, tails, and ears, as, again, exemplified by this image I'm uploading for the express purpose of making such a point clear.

>third session of Curse of Strahd
>follow the hag back to her windmill after seeing her take a kid from its parents
>party confronts her on second floor
>while the rest of the party seems content to banter with her about how much of the pastry is made out of baby, I open negotiations with a firebolt to her face
>several rounds later after the other two night hags join in, the cleric and monk are down, the fighter has about 3 hp left, and the paladin has one foot out the door, and my full HP wizard with two level 1 spell slots left is the only one standing his ground
>meanwhile, Team Night Hag is down one member from repeated applications of scorching ray and smiting, the second one was defenestrated, and the third was negotiating a cease fire
>accept cease fire because I don't want to have to make anyone roll up a new character

Really need to get my bros to work on their tactics. Granted, we bit off more than we could chew with that, but dammit we were following the plot hook we were given.

>My name is Grok, I will smash my way to being a warchief and then smash hobgoblins that almost destroyed my tribe, and then... someone else, yeah, so what did you want me to smash now, shiny piece of righteous boredom?

Spell Sniper and Ritual Caster are decent.

How many ears should a catgirl have?

You'll have to talk with your DM about it then.

Mechanically, I suggest: can be fired as an action to attach to walls or ceilings, 50 foot limit, can then be used to swing from or climb up/down the rope.

This would make it especially good for a thief rogue, who could use it as a bonus action and climb at full speed.

Does "You made my daughter cry, and that makes me so mad I'm going to pull myself back from death and punch everybody responsible for it in the face" qualify as more complex than "me grog, me smash!"?

Can you multiclass the same class and get another archetype on your second 3rd level?

No.

>spell sniper is decent

Two obviously. 4 is silly. Pic related is an example image of a cat girl with the proper amount of ears, so that 5e D&D perception checks can be made with the most efficiency.

Hey, folks? Long story short, I was challenged to try and come up with a PC write-up for Derros; can I get some feedback on the result?

Dwarf Subrace: Derro
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Dexterity (Justification: Dex is the highest stat on the Derro's entry)
Superior Darkvision: Your Darkvision has a range of 120 feet.
Extra Language: Undercommon
Sunlight Sensitivity: You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks based on sight made whilst you or your target is in direct sunlight.
Quick-Moving: Your Speed is 30 feet instead of 25 feet.
Derro Weapon Training: You are proficient in the Derro Hooked Shortspear.
Derro Madness: You have Advantage on saves against being Charmed or Frightened, and Disadvantage on Wisdom saving throws. (Justification: The former part is what Derro get for their Insanity trait, the latter is an attempted balancing addition)
Magic Resistance: You have Advantage on saves against spells and other magical effects.

Playing an EKnight

should I use a greatsword with GWF and GWM, or Sword and Board with Dueling and Shield Master?

all my spells, besides a two cantrips (Firebolt and GFB) will be utility/defense. Shield, Absorb Elements, Expeditious Retreat, Find Familiar, Protection from Good and Evil, Light

any of you play an Eknight? got any input? me and a paladin are the frontliners, and he's sword and board with protection and etc

I would allow that desu, but probably not with an easy way to negate the disadvantages of Sunlight Sensitivity or in an Underdark game.
Magic Resistance is super huge dude.

You should play Battlemaster instead, because you will feel significantly more effective.

EK is "ribbons - the archetype"

way too many features man.

remove magic resistance, that is fucking insane for a racial

Don't want to play a battlemaster. Don't know what you mean by "ribbons - the archetype"

You will when you play battlemaster one day after having played EK senpai~
Just give it time~

Played a battlemaster archer, was fun. Want to play an Eldritch Knight now.

I'm playing a Totem Barbarian who is from a more primitive offshoot of the Drow in the Underdark. His totem animal is mother spider and has little spiders that crawl around in his back. When he goes into "Rage" it's because he has the little spiders inject their venom into him which does the whole angry smash thing.

Hmm, honestly, I'm not too sure about the Derro Weapon Training feature anyway; it just feels like something any Derro Fighter could pick up. If I removed that and made Magic Resistance a level-locked racial feat, ala Svirfneblin Magic and... whatever other chunky racial feats there are... would that bring it back to balance?

Asura is "ME SMASH!" personified.

Does your character wear a mask?

He does but holy fuck, I've just now realised how much Bane quoting I've missed out on...

You're a big elf

For you

That new Wizard from unearth arcana? The one that get Cleric capstone before cleric.

My thief has a 14 in WIS should I think about some Monk levels for better defence or just keep adding Sneak Attack Dice?

You must get better AC from some light armour than the +2 you'll get from Unarmed Defense?

Is there a full list of Deity Domains from 3.5e floating around?

AFAICT, if a rogue makes an improvised melee attack with a ranged weapon, they still get their sneak attack bonus. Is that RAW?

This list makes me glad that 5e cut things down to just 8 Domains, since the Deities and Demigods book recommends you have all the domains available in your god pantheon. Though it does make roleplaying a little harder because now it's all up to the player to make things differeng if you have two clerics with the same Domains in the party.

Does it count as finesse or light or anything?

Can anybody recommend a good program or website to make dungeons with? I just want a grid to draw lines on and put some rudimentary shapes like circles and boxes for statues and altars and other random stuff.

This table of contents shows just how much you have to deal with.

It's a ranged weapon, and sneak attack says:
>The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

I really really want my group's barbarian to refer to my paladin a a shiny piece of rightious boredom. Thats funny shit.

>Party preparing for their prison break mission
>They suddenly remember that the Dwarf fighter is wearing full plate
>Their whole Metal Gear Solid plan can be ruined by his loud ass armor
This will be amusing.

I think RAI is extremely clear on this.
If you want to be pedantic, I guess it works if it says it can trigger on "an attack with a ranged weapon".

So, I've spent far too much time designing a complex and intricate urban based mystery adventure campaign complete with multiple adventure and player based plot hooks. Players are at level 4.

I have an itching urge to include a Deck of Many Things. It will be in the possession of a Green Hag out in the countryside near a small village. She will be terrorising the town for fun and if the PC's go hunting for her she will agree to leave the village alone and move on if any one of them draws from the deck of cards.

Likewise if they kill her they get a Deck of Many Things.In terms of backstory shes simply a servant of a trickster god who likes to sow chaos.

Will this destroy my campaign?

Rope Arrows like from Thief

On the other hand, if you want to make your Bow Master, you can apply Sharpshooter, Great Weapon Master and Sneak Attack to your bow cudgeling. Though you'd also want Tavern Brawler so you can actually hit.

Why does he have armor on if they're in prison?

The fact you're asking means you already know the answer.

Oh, no, they're breaking in to rescue their party member that the Queen imprisoned for killing a priest in front of her by accident and almost killing another person.

Ah, right.
Perhaps he could gather some allies and stay back to charge in if (when) things go bad?

Anons? I got a small rule question. I'm playing a 5th level Evoker Wizard, which means I have access to both the Sculpt Spell feature ad the Fireball spell. If I get on the wrong end of a Swallow Whole attack from a greenvise, can I use Sculpt Spell to shield myself if I try casting fireball inside its guts?

They want to stay on the Queen's good side, they're trying to get in and out without alerting the guards at all.

The rogue is planning to use his cloak of elvenkind and gloves of thievery to his advantage while the ranger helps him, so I imagine their plan is to have the dwarf keep watch for the guards. They don't want to share their plan with me, which is fine, so I'm just going to have to roll with what they do.

I'd allow it

If Tommy Lee Jones can do it, you can do it too

Always good to have a plan B though.
And Co. And, yeah, you get it.

Is there any sort of visitation in the dungeon? If so, why not have the dwarf create a diversion by pretending to visit another prisoner, which should divert at least one guard, and then making a clamor in his heavy armor crying and talking to his 'old friend'? Depending on how no-nonsense the guards are they'll either be distracted momentarily removing him, or spend time consoling him.
Bonus points if he totally breaks down crying talking about his war-torn past or something and the guards wind up taking him to their post for some bread or something.

Hmm, good idea.

They were given the key to their party member's cell by the Queen's brother since he believes the party member is still useful, but he didn't give them any aid with getting in.

The Dwarf is pretty good at getting into his character, I'll use him as the source of their diversion to let the party try and get their companion out of his cell.

The EK in my CoS game uses a maul with GWF, and the damage dice rerolls are really helpful. I expect he'll be taking GWM next level.
His spells mostly seem to be based around giving himself the ability to attack effectively at range, since he felt pretty solid in melee without magic. But if you're a frontliner, taking more defensive spells is a good plan.

GWF if your party lacks a similar melee damage shitter, Sword&Board if they've already got someone dedicated to hitting things with big stick.

If you're unsure err on the side of hitting things with big stick, because vomiting damage is never redundant.

I played an EK/Sorcerer assassin character that focused on Dexterity. I got Fighter level 5 for the extra attack and then went Sorcerer for spell spam. The focus was to get many tricks up my sleeve, but in the end I mostly utilized Shield and Fog Cloud (to disrupt a horde of archers so they couldn't all gang up on us, and to keep some weird creature from blasting us with spells). My focus was a frontliner that simply didn't get hit, but still could do enough to be a threat. I got a cloak of Displacement and it became a joke about how I never got hit since then. My character had 18 AC unarmored due to Dragon Sorcerer traits, got 20+ from magic armor and shield on top of displacement and with shield as a back-up. I also got a ring of spell storing to store Shield in. I basically always had +5 AC. Started out as a monk+fighter that would be an unarmed fighter, but also a master of all weapons, ended up dropping monk as it didn't suit the character and we got another monk. EK was mostly fun because I multiclassed to access more spells and spell slots to spam Shield with. I used Spiderclimb occasionally and never really used cantrips beyond Light. I probably should have used Minor Illusion more though.

>this explicit example picture of a 5e D&D cat girl
Hanekawa Tsubasa? Odd, I never heard of a Bakemonogatari/DnD crossover.

DM Help please folks

>party of 4 lvl 6's
>3 are LG/NG
>1 is LE

I don't know how to make an evil encounter/event for him without the others simply attempting to stop him or not going along with it.

I've considered running him his own separate encounter where he is on his own but then I have three bored players waiting in the wings.

How can I make an encounter which allows him to satisfy his evil side without blowing the other players out.

The only way I think I could get them to really go for it is with the promise of loot.

He is a member of the Zhentarim but has JUST joined.

Sound like a recipe for disaster? Probably better to have the odd one out reroll a character?

What the hell does "Ribbon Archetype" mean?

Nah I don't want to say to him like "I can't think of anything for your guy to do so make a new one."

That's a dick move and if a DM said that to me I'd be pissed off.

A Ribbon is a feature that is not directly for combat, like extra skill proficiencies. A ribbon archetype is one overloaded with such features, at the expense of combat buffers.

A lone Evil dude in an obviously Good party usually never ends well if he's actually emphasizing the "Evil" part. The LE type where the Lawful is the most important part can work sometimes, but just based on your question that's probably not the case.

Every time I've seen an Evil dude in a Good party (which seems to be fairly frequent for some reason) it always ends with the Good people coming to the realization mid-campaign that they're running out of justifiable reasons not to ditch, imprison, or kill the obviously evil douche running around kicking puppies where he thinks they can't see him.

It's been a while, so, after these two years or new content, UAs and supplements, how do I RULES OF NATURE! in 5e?

Fighter with the Champion archetype.
Hit stuff with your sword.

I need help creating a character for a new campaign. The rest of the party is a fighter and a cleric. I was thinking sorcerer or wizard, but I'm not at all familiar with these classes and not sure how to build them.

Would a monk be viable? I know nothing about them and have never considered playing one, so it could be a fun change of pace.

Honestly you have a big melee guyou and a caster so you're good with whatever.
Personally I'd probably play a bard but the real answer is 5e is made so that you'll be fine whatever class combo you guys have.

That's pretty boring, I want to jump hundreds of meters, lift hundreds of tons and run up buldings' walls while cutting enemies. I guess jump distance is still limited to your speed and powerful build and 6th level bear totem still are hated by every GM ever?

*guy

Go play an anime game then.
D&D 5e is just not built for that stuff.

>New group
>Two of the four person party are literally retarded
>The Barbarian evidently has 4 Int (Rolled for stats, evidently without caring that the lowest it can be is 8)
>My character is now a literal tard wrangler
I don't see how this can even be statistically possible. The chances of rolling at least three ones and a two for a stat must be astronomically low.

sigh*...you could in 4e and 3.5e, what went wrong?

Wizard is a safe bet, they've got a wide spell selection which allows them to solve a large number of problems, which is good because fighters don't to much mechanically beyond bonking things with their stick of choice, so it's down to you and the Cleric to solve every not purely roleplay problem that might possibly arise that isn't stick-applicable.

Monk isn't anything special really, you make kung-fu noises and bonk things with your fists instead of a stick.

Maybe not a 4, but a 5 (same bonus) is almost as easy as to get an 18, and you see a lot of 18s, only logical there're some 5s too

"bumping" from last thread

I'm looking for a decent no homebrew build for a Viktor Frankenstein mad scientist

Any of you Stradh bunnies ever seen/ made one?

Thief rogue
You know anatomy (sneak attacks), are very knowledgeable (skillz) and know how to operate on every item ever. Rest is roleplaying.

Why are you designing encounters around the players? Your job is to prep situations and its up to the players to decide how to resolve them. If that way is more evil than good then so be it if they all are happy with that , if not the evil player can work out a way to do it alone or just stay in line with his allies.

cheers guys

>Be me
>Want to play D&D
>Be socially retarded
Is there anything I can do?

That's why I specified.
If it's what you want, play that.
Personally I think it's shite and not what I want from D&D, so I'll stick with 5e.

Rope arrows, Zelda hookshots, crossbow grappleguns.

No problem. Best of luck!
Yeah. Play D&D.

anyone have cool maps from Mike Schley... especialy city one ?

If you got the chem skills to back it up, transmutation rock gnome wizard with artisan

Alchemist and tinker tools with bonus for artifact history checks, inteligence based spell casting, book based focus and a high constitution for that "mad cackling/in the zone" concentration ability

Way too many advantage and disadvantage on this. The advantage on Charm and Fear are countered by disadvantage on wisdom saves, so basically nothing. But you are also having advantage on Magic.

So if someone casts Fear on your derro, they have two advantages and one disadvantage. Rules as Written that means it's just a flat roll if there exist any number of both.

This is way too confusing to mesh with any of the current races. I got a quick look at Derro, maybe give them a charisma point as well instead of all of these advantages? It increases their confidence and they are less than likely to fear something.

The best light armor (barring magic) is AC 12, so... no.

so im in the middle of building my own campaign. Now, i need on your opinion on some stuff... How many main locations are ok to have so players feel they have options ? I mean... how many large cities, villages, ruins and other stuff should i have ? I was thinkong of maybe a capital city, a two smaller ones and maybe around 5 villages. Then maybe ... 5 sites that can be visited for side quests (ruis, towers etc).

The numbers you've got so far sounds pretty solid for an open-ended campaign.

However, it very much depends on the kind of campaign you're running. LMoP, for example, is centred around one village with a handful of locations for all the questing and stuff.