Roll20

What are some of the worst Roll20 experiences, players, or GM's you've ever seen in your life?

One guy forgot his mic was on a took the opportunity to rub one out during pre-game setup.

Someone actually told him his mic was on in text chat. He didn't believe us, then went back to masturbating.

I once had a GM running a Planescape game for 5E where he was rotating between GM'ing our game and playing ANOTHER game.

We realized something was fishy when there were prolonged, weird pauses on skype where the GM wouldn't say anything. Then halfway through the game he left his mic on while he was talking about his character's actions in the other game he was playing.

Played rogue trader for the 1st time last night.
Worst rpg experience ive ever had.
Hours arguing over rules
No plot, no directiin. 100% metagaming.

Never played rogue trader before so was kinda tryinng to take a back seat and learn but holy fuck it was bad.

The RT didnt seem to know what to do, and the gm didnt really have anything for us to do.

I really wanted a good 40k rpg game

Bump.

Roll20 was a mistake.

It's a really good app for online gaming. Just don't use the Looking For Group function unless you feel like playing roulette.

> Unless you feel like playing roulette with a shotgun.

I guess that game really....blew?

I had someone throw a bitchfuck of pretty weird proportions when they realized that my albinistic character was actually a full-blown negro.

After ten minutes of it I said "GM, he leaves or I leave. I don't have to take this kind of shit."

GM tried to get the guy to cool his jets so I just left. No point in being diplomatic with someone who can't handle such a minor detail

a-user...

Bet he didn't know most albinos have the blackest lineage possible, lmao

It's got the usual types of players. Some are good, some are bad, the problem is weeding out the bad ones. Starting using it a year ago, have played with probably thirty or so different people, and have really only ran into one or two terrible people. It's all about how the game is described in the Looking For Group, and the maturity level of the GM and other players.

Had a fucking twelve year old try to join my game. Had a guy who would literally create the most anti-social characters. His cleric just stood in back casting Light on a stupid stone while we were fighting undead and almost dying. Fuck that guy.

But seriously, roll20 is a mixed blessing. If you can find some decent people, it helps curb most roleplay itches you might have. You might have to weed through people—when you can't join or start an irl game, you turn to online methods and this is probably true for many of terrible players—but you can find some decent players. All of mine currently are fantastic cause I've spent the time weeding out the stupid or bad ones.

I once met a guy on roll20 in a game with my brother. He was an edge lord faggot from pol and would constantly try to be edgy even when people told him to quit being a fuck boy It was awful. I felt embarrassed for him, but couldn't stand the fucker. I don't play in that game anymore.

>player wants to play a Warforged
>in Forgotten Realms
>"I want to explore how a creature with little knowledge of the world explores things"
>make the mistake of letting him play it
>game starts
>his roleplay is cringe as fuck
>beep boop, generic robot voice
>wants to craft a pistol penis to "explore the concept of gender"
>dick jokes
>fart jokes
>his chucklefuck act toward some angry cultists almost causes a TPK

My group played on there a few times. The RNG was kinda trash.

I've learned this when it comes to RNGs.

"If you go out of your way to prove your RNG isn't bullshit, your RNG is bullshit."

>playing with friends
>gm, buddy, quiet friend, and me
>quiet friend isn't actually quiet she's quite loud really but hates using the mic as we tend to have issues with harassment and creepers when they find out a chicks present
>numbers are nice as we can do private games easy enough assuming we can't get people or they don't work out
>only get one guy
>seems cool
>game goes on for a few hours
>quiet friend "fixes" her mic during break cause the guy seems legit enough
>takes maybe 30 seconds until he gets really quiet himself and we can hear a bit of heavy breathing
>quiet friend asks half pissed half shocked "Excuse me?!"
>guy just sort of stutters and starts asking quiet friend shit about herself
Gm:"dude. Thats disgusting!"
Random:"don't ruin this for me!"
>gm kicks him and we decide thats enough for one session
>quiet friend refuses to touch roll20 ever again which actually forces us to drive into the city for the only local gamestore or take our chances with the intensely shitty people we set meetups for
>have recently decided its just less hassle to drive my truck to everyones house, pick up their rigs and ps4's, and play overwatch or league since the city where i live is poorly planned and requires 3 hours of oneway traffic jams and searching every parking garage to find the one free spot left before we have to walk 87 blocks to the always crowded mall
I'm pretty sure this is how my involvement with tabletop ends.

Once I played with OP.

Met a guy who insisted to our GM that he was a real life ninja despite sounding like a hick from Louisiana. He'd throw in Japanese words at the end of sentences, talk with vengeance about how much he hated Naruto and tried to make a ninja girl with magical diskblades that only she could wield and that could obey her commands. Also wanted to be able to turn any item into gold. Worst of all, he was dead fucking serious about all this.

Player just posted this in a campaign im running....edge for days

>Vanilrond Gaelwydlon (Stardancer). Elven Ranger/Wizard or Ranger/Druid (haven't decided yet).
This guy is NOT your typical party animal type elf. He's very serious, calculating, and angry. Very angry. Almost Dwarven angry. He belongs to a small conclave of elves in Kyonin who are just appalled at how too many elves fail to recognize the precarious position in which all elves face. The elven people are a shadow of their former glory, and these pissed off elves aim to change that. These elves calculate that they represent about 10% of the elven people, thus, they call themselves The Talented Tenth."
Vanilrond is very multi-talented and seeks to become a legendary leader to lead elves to greater glory. He will kill, and kill and kill ANYTHING that threatens the elven people and their way of life. To do that, he must become stronger. During his studies, he heard about an ancient lost civilization called the Thassilonians in what is now known as Varisia. If by chance, Vanilrond would discover their ancient secrets...
Vanilrond is proud, haughty, a bit arrogant, but a fine bowman and equally skilled in spellcasting. He is well rounded in skills and seeks to become as independent as possible. He will take the lead, but only if he can trust his companions from a backstabbing sneak attack. Not willing to take unnecessary and unwise risks. His motto is, "Knowledge is power, but POWER IS POWER!" He's not evil, he simply wants to secure the elven people from the many foes who want them destroyed

Sounds like fantasy Trump

>typical party animal type elf
What setting even has this sort of elf?

Maybe he meant "carefree" which is common enough trope for elves. It's probably why he used the word "serious" as a way to set him apart from other elves.

All the elves I've ever used were party animals, if you catch my drift.

That's full-blown retarded. Yale university retarded!

His plans are entirely too sensible to be Trump.

He talks so much about this group of elves he's aligned with, but doesn't actually say anything about their views.
The closest we get is
>appalled at how too many elves fail to recognize the precarious position in which all elves face.
WHAT PRECARIOUS POSITION?
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

I think that he thinks "elves are da best and you fucks betta rocognize" is thier core belief

Fuck you. You caught me by surprise and made me laugh and now I know shit like this is funny to me when i'm not expecting it. Fuck you.

Until he starts building a wall around his elven homeland to protect it from murderers, rapists and landscapers.

user. As a person who's done possibly unethical human experiments on this subject i can say without a doubt and the full weight of decades of research and the complete backing of my peers that someday, somewhere, sometime, someone will say the word "pudding" and you will lose your figurative and possibly literal shit. You might not even know the person and the context won't matter and it might not even be soon or the first time you hear it but every time you hear that word it will have a 7% chance of this happening and due to the nature of language the more time goes by the more the clock ticks away.
You're what we in the industry call a type B7. yes i sunk your battleship. Yes i knew you would go there.

>Just don't use the Looking For Group function unless you feel like playing roulette.
*Russian roulette

>Video call feature didin't work for one session. >Once I mistyped a roll function and got error message.

probably bait, but have you tried playing text-only games to avoid random people frantically masturbating over the sound of a female voice?

Honestly we have and we all hate it. It robs RP pretty heavily. Also it was just that one guy. Usually, if they are a problem not everybody is, its mostly lightly hitting on her or asking awkward questions. We hadn't had any REAL creepers until that guy.

But user.... He did know but just didnt care.

Not the most recent game, but the one before that, the GM had to put the campaign on indefinite hiatus because he had life issues going on.