Is there a "Force" in your setting? A source of power that connects all life or similar?

Is there a "Force" in your setting? A source of power that connects all life or similar?

Not really.
There's ghost type and fairy type energy, different frequencies of the same energy which souls are composed of that can be condensed into everstone and saturated with more energy into any other kind of held stone or evolution stone, but it doesn't connect all life as much as it's technically the raw materials to construct spirits. Most golem/construct pokemon are machines constructed from technology based on it core concepts.

Yes. It's magic. The whole world runs on it and almost everybody can use it.

Nope. If you expect to with a battle, expect to walk and wait. A lot.

In my setting the "Jeudis" are a group of space monks gathered around an epic lvl npc teaching them the ways of the force.
The force they are using is actually brutal force, allowing them to channel their inner brute into jumping 10 meters or ripping armored foes in half with their bare hands.
It is said that those of higher rank among the jeudis are able to listen to the force (the voice they hear is actually screaming so loudly that they become deaf and have to rely on their hands to speak)

I dunno what the GM thinks but I built my monk character by this concept. Guy doesn't at all believe in gods.
>tipping intensifies
and he thinks all kinds of magic are just the channeling of an indivual's force/potential, i.e. chakra/ki.

Stealing the concept from Naruto and HxH and filing off the serial numbers

Physical energy/Training + Knowledge/experience = Potential

This "Potential" energy is affected by a sentient being's will and has an expression that can be shaped with training and outlook (i.e. religious people will believe their "potential" is expressed as a divine power of their religion, scientist and scholars will believe their expression is a result of their knowledge of science and magic). This force also is used to bolster and strengthen the body as well allowing those practiced in it's use to do seemingly super human feats from extreme precision craftsmenship to fighting ability.

Does it bother anybody else that "The Force" is just called "The Force"? I mean, it's just so fucking plain and boring.

Yep and its traded like a resource in the afterlife. Mortals don't have enough to actually use it in any significant way, they gotta piggyback on the magic of other more powerful entities

>using the term express/expression for a show of power like a hatsu from HxH

Thats weird, "Expression" is a term used in my homebrew for what is essentially an ability/abilities unique to the user.

Not really. The wording doesn't matter. Its intentionally vague and bland.

Sure.

>Medieval Europe
>the Holy Spirit

To me it's the best neutral word to used without having to call everything a unique name. I prefer my magic to be something that can be studied by academics and just leave unique names to stuff that is cultural or whatever the PCs make of it so expression can means spells or specific techniques a fighting type would use.

No because the vague simplicity is exactly what helped give the Force and Jedi their original charm.

Midichlorians were a mistake

Yes and no. It's the will to live and act, everyone has it, it's described variously as a flame, a torrent of a water, a howling wind and a spark, and it's an actual thing inside a person's soul. There is a nebulous elemental force, not in the magic sense of defined elements although they are given those descriptions to describe what they CAN be, in a person that enables them/gives them agency to be.

The is force, for most people, stays as a single white hot ember, still lake, steady breeze or spark for their lives, it's the the blacksmith who is really good at axe heads, or the baker who makes the best cakes in the kingdom, but for some people, heroes and legends, that flame is a raging firestorm, a gushing rapids, a swirling hurricane or explosive storm, an actual force that is grown within them and half-enables legendary acts.

It's an ingrown, subconscious sort of magic.

But those forces can destroy a person. That firestorm can consume everything around it, that torrent drown, the hurricane blow away, that storm destroy. Lust and desire and greed and obsession are borne of it. It's what vampires are made of, out of control wills, aimless and heedless. Sometimes, that fire burns out, the stream dries up, the wind sighs silent and the storm dissipates. People can go hollow and empty, dark inside (and darkness is real force, even if this is more metaphysical). It's variously believe that the people this happens to go mad, or die, or become envious demons that seek to snuff out life.

What actually tends to happen, ultimately, is in this reverse/inverse gnostic setting, they stop reincarnating, their featureless, mindless souls have no drive to go back in the Archons can't catch them, so they go back out into the Godhead's stagnant chaos.

I think maybe some people realize this power of potential, this force of will and can use it in some way, consciously. These rare people are invariably legendary, essentially total masters of their own fates.

Yes. But i'm playing Star Wars so...

> !surprise

Yeah, We play Jojo. The DM's gotten a little wild this time around- alongside the ripple and stands, he has thrown in "Ideals," essentially resonating gestalt stands.

It used to be a tree, now it's fragments of the tree that all sentient beings carry with them. If they lose it they're screwed.

what system.i would kill for a jjba campaign.

It's actually the Veeky Forums homebrew with tweaks. GM kinda plays fast and loose with the rules- we spend more time playing detective and trying to figure out the enemy's stand-of-the-week than we do looking at our sheets.

Can't you just use Mutants and Masterminds for Jojo?
Alternatively, Monsters and Other Childish Things could be reflavored to be buff/pretty men and Stands rather than kids and monsters.

is that a boy or a girl

Im intrigued, please go on.

Can't too much, players might be lurking, further detail will spoil them.
Long story short? You know those "spirit science" vids on youtube? imagine that technology refined and weaponized with cybernetics.

Hmmm not familiar, but ill check it out. I asked because im also running a pokemon campaign. Mine however is a refluffed version of the original red/blue.

Mine is not based on any game, but relies heavily on concepts discussed in gens 3-5. Also, if you haven't seen Spirit Science, don't. It's basically Extra Credits' Extra History segment, right down to the animation and voices, but for hippie bullshit and conspiracy theories, from a perspective that believes them true. If you haven't stumbled upon it on your own time, don't waste your time purposefully looking for it.

Thanks for the warning.

That's Sai from Naruto, who is male.

>Can't you just use Mutants and Masterminds for Jojo?
You can, yes. Just run the Stand as a Summon power with a Mental Link feat and Feedback drawback.

Well, either way was fine.

Belly shirts for ever!

Magic. Basically mana is present in the air and the ability to cast magic is present in all living things but only sentient ones with the gift to cast can manipulate that latent mana in the air. This manifests itself as phyiscal phenomenon through casting magic. While in the past people could use magic to preform more mystical feats of magic, modern magic is more based on real physics and stuff. In any case, mana is contained within everything and expelled in the case of casting spells.

Does it really matter, user?
As long as it's cute?

Yes. But it's evil and twists all that it touches towards corruption and ruination.

(I'm running a game set in grim darkness of the 41st millenium)