Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

How weeaboo do your Pathfinder games get? How weeaboo are you as a player or GM?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq (embed)

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Horror Adventures: imgur.com/a/r2TOH
imgur.com/a/odYOE

New leak from DSP: Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warriors: docs.google.com/document/d/1dX4UYdtwTQKhY71Q45IHLtcu193zq1ZO5jHQ5_PnTl8/edit

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1xyipiJ_CyykmZhqNnjFOFcz-btTuQhMDh2HKngDV5c0/edit?usp=sharing
paizo.com/threads/rzs2jqf5,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So apparently some people have access to Horror Heroes Handbook early and there's a little thing in there called the "Pact Wizard" which, if what they're saying is accurate, is horribly overpowered.

Anyone willing to scan an image of the pages?

Medics are cute! CUTE!

>posting one of the worst mabinogis as a thread OP

How the mighty have fallen. At least the OP topic isn't quite as shit as the last time this happened.

>wizard archetype
>horribly overpowered

It can't be more overpowered than the Instructor archetype.

>Instructor archetype.
come on man

So im going to be playing pathfinder for the first time. What should I expect?
I have some xp with dnd, and other games aswell.

What are the major differneces between 3.5 and pathfinder?

>how weeb as a player
I try to contain my power level, but I'm still pretty stuck on the kuudere character type for more recent campaigns. It got extra bad with the game we started last night, in which I'm essentially playing Lust from FMA (DSP succubus) in Rise of the Runelords.

>how weeb as a GM
I've made references in the game I run to four or five Ghibli films, at least two more well-known anime, and a straight expy of Erza from Fairy Tail. My players have no idea what any of it is and are enjoying the game thoroughly.
inb4 "group of normies reee"

Instructor isn't even that good. The cohort you get is a pretty shitty wizard; you could get a better one by just taking Leadership later on.

GM wants to run his homebrew campaign and asked for our character ideas several months ago so he could customize stuff from the beginning to the party. I told him I was going to play a Lizardfolk Unchained Barb//Hunter (feral type).

Tell me, people who know this game a hell of a lot better than I do, how do I make him a monster in melee as a natural attack fighter? Or should I just use weapons and not worry about it?

None, they're fully compatible with only minor conversions

Natural weapons are decent at lower levels, especially if you have multiple primary attacks, but otherwise lose a lot of the flexibility that normal weapons have, like ease of enchanting and not needing a shitty Amulet of Mighty Fists.

There are no differences that make conversion from 3.5e to PF impossible, because PF originally began as an attempt to 'fix' 3.5e. It failed, utterly, and when 4e was released, Paizo made PF into its "own" system, which simultaneously publishing as much of the 3.5e OGL as their own product as they could.

That's not to say there aren't differences. There are. Tons of them. Almost nothing is perfectly identical; nearly everything has at least SOME change in it somewhere. It's a whole lot of tiny, often irrelevant or illogical changes that did nothing to address any of the systemic problems 3.5e had. If anything, the caster/martial disparity is worse in PF than it was in 3.5e, because at least 3.5e had ToB to give them nice things.

Alright. So don't expect anything different. got it.

>At least 3.5 had ToB
Path of War...?

Talking about natural attacks reminds me that in addition to being pissed about Eldritch Scion being shit, even with any of the homebrewed fixes, the magus itself is a fucking pain in the ass to get working with natural attacks. I guess there's always the PDG's full class Dragon Disciple, but it's just not the same, y'know?

>How weeaboo do your Pathfinder games get? How weeaboo are you as a player or GM?

Almost all major NPCs in my campaign are shameless expies of anime/VN characters. For some of them I even use the same art. One of them has the same picture and even the same name.
No one has caught on because I'm the only one who watches weebshit in my circle of friends. One of my friends watches "manime" like jojo, so I'm a bit careful around him, but that's it.

Our Paladin is head-over-heels for his squire, who is totally not Saber, but is doing the whole "mission first" thing. Meanwhile, the Warder is planning to propose to their potionmaker's homunculus "daughter" that is essentially Chaika.

They've both talked with me privately about me being very good at writing compelling romance-interest characters.

I do not know, actually. I've never played a magus.

Paizo put all their creative efforts into spellcasting, and forgot to make hitting things with weapons more interesting than that, leaving just about anything that isn't wiggling fingers, chanting incantations, praying to your god or Diplomancing in the 'mostly shit options' section.

Where do I go if I want to be a mighty whitey in Asia?

Let me guess, Artoria is the squire and uses short-haired androgynous blonde token art.

What's stopping you?

Why is Charisma the most useless stat in Pathfinder? Not only do most martials ignore it, nobody even uses it for their character's fluff!

Wow, dude, are you a psychic?
How did you guess that?!

Dude it was a 50% chance, for all I know he could've gone for Chaika.

>Short answer? It's a giant ball of arcane awesome!

>Long answer, you get a witch's patron (and those spells added to your book), the ability to sack spontcast your patron spells with any of your spells save your specialty school extra slots, you can prep your spell for the day in 15 minutes rather than an hour and prep hastily in a minute, at 5th you get an oracle's curse and get to add whatever bonus spells it gives you if it gives you some to your spell book for free, at 10 you can roll twice take the better result when rolling a Caster level, check concentration check, initial check, or saving throw 3+1/2 Int per day, at 15 to get to add your Int to those rolls and reduce the spell level of metamagic spells from your Patron spell list or oracle curse by 1 to a minimum of their original level, and the 20th if you roll a nat 20 on that you auto succeed regardless of whether or not that's possible.

>All that for the low low price of scribe scroll and I believe all your bonus feats. And now I totally want to play it.

No major issues. Some problems got solved, a few new ones were created. Prestige classes and multiclassing in general is not that great in Pathfinder, and there are a ton of archetypes that serve as minor tweaks to the classes. Some people think it sucks, I enjoy it, but it takes some experience weeding out the good options from the bad ones.

What sort of classes did you like playing in 3.5, so we can tell you how they fare in Pathfinder.

Hm, I never actually considered this last night, but now I can't not think of it:
With a magus's spellstrike, if you use a spell with a range of touch, and miss their normal AC but still are within the range of their touch AC... does that mean you would set the spell off, but not the weapon damage?
Or does the attack with spellstrike change from having to hit touch AC, to normal AC?

The way that's written only makes me angrier
Who the FUCK
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
PAIZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That's 3PP. The world outside the /pfg/ bubble doesn't allow 3PP very often.

>the Warder is planning to propose to their potionmaker's homunculus "daughter" that is essentially Chaika

Damn man that's pretty gosh diddly darn cute.

Chaika too flat, she'd make a terrible waifu.

Logically, it should discharge the spell without doing weapon damage, because your scimitar bounces off his well-oiled abs but it still makes contact.
RAW, though, fuck if I know.
I'd let it work.

>proposing to a construct
What the shit, constructs don't have real emotions.

Hey /pfg/, this jackass again. Gonna post another link to this setting I'm working on. Stupid-high magic, powerful races. That kinda deal.
docs.google.com/document/d/1xyipiJ_CyykmZhqNnjFOFcz-btTuQhMDh2HKngDV5c0/edit?usp=sharing

There's not too much done of it, just most of the races and most of one class, along with some feats and two creatures, but the outline is there, and I'd really appreciate any kinda feedback.

What are the most fun pathfinder modules ? Theres not a lot of content for 5e so Im turning to the pathfinder trove.

>constructs don't have real emotions
homunculi are made differently from constructs and could potentially be fluffed as having emotions
in fact i'd go so far as to say that it's an acceptable piece of fluff to have constructs that have free will also automatically start developing emotion

lol

Modules in general are shit.

Pathfinder's especially are garbage.

Homebrew something.

>an acceptable piece of fluff to have constructs that have free will also automatically start developing emotion
No it isn't, Constructs by the very nature of their creature type are immune to emotion effects. They're incapable.

If you're just starting out, I'd recomend running the Falcon's Hollow adventure modules.
They're geared toward newbie groups and have both open-endedness and module continuation if you want to make them into an actual adventure path.

>constructs don't have real emotions
Says who? Pretty sure anything with an intelligence score and a charisma of at least a few has emotions unless stated otherwise.

Technically constructs are also supposed to be incapable of having free will but somehow that happens anyway.

>What the shit, constructs don't have real emotions.
>implying my homunculus doesn't have real emotions

Say that to my fucking face and not online, I dare you.

Being immune to emotion effects doesn't mean you don't have emotions, you ninny.

What next, immunity to sleep effects means you can't sleep?

Wow guys, don't all take the bait at the same time.

>and the 20th if you roll a nat 20 on that you auto succeed regardless of whether or not that's possible.

What the fuck does that even mean?

i'm sorry, did i besmirch the honor of your robo-waifus

Can psychic "spells" be affected by metamagic feats?

my street sign said jesus....fucking straight up jesus.

Psychic spells are spells, so yes. Why is this even a question? It's just another type of spell, like arcane or divine.

You can crit concentration checks, caster level checks and saving throws. As in, if you roll 20 + 13 against a DC of 400, you'll succeed anyway.
Also, it implies you can "auto-succeed" initiative checks which I assume is false or for some fucking reason it lets you go first no matter what on a 20, which I wouldn't put past them.

...yes, psychic spells are spells. No need for quotes.

If you meant Psionic Powers, which are a whole other thing, then no.

It's the best looking, freshest bait we've had in a while, user. We're awfully starved for them lately, since people keep throwing out the same ones.

>robo-waifus
>not daughterus

Those smiles are for protecting

Since when did Mabinogi have furries?

Other than the that one unbearable guy of course.

KINETICIST

MONK

PATH OF WAR SUCKS

Someone explain to me why the fuck people play this stupid ass homebrew "beguiler" class when there's a proper version of it by a respectable third party publisher
I'm talking about Trickster here
You know, the GOOD "sneaky illusionist" class?

KITSUNE
KITSUNE
MOMJI AWOOOOOOOOOOO
VIGILANTE TALENTS

If he wasn't an actual bear I'm going to be sad...

Iomedae

I don't think the races balance well against each other (the dragon thing in particular strikes me as not well adjusted) and I'm not entirely sure if I'm a fan of the big stack of racial feats.

So if some Paladin took a Vow of Chastity and I rolled a natural 20 to seduce her, she'd break her vows for me?

GARETH'S ERRATA
W
WH
WHE
WHEN
H EN
E N
N

He was, half the time.

Well, I don't know what kind of roll that entails, but if it's a concentration check, caster level check, or a saving throw on your end, then yes. Yes you would.

It's the other ninja instructor. Yes. They introduced "ninja" skills. No they were actually kind of neat, mechanically, but the animations for the weapon you had to use were total dogshit.

Guy in the OP is a Kitsune, this one is a Tanuki. They have a dinky little sidestory where you have to help them get their scroll of secret techniques back from enemy ninjas.

Ey man, Tarlach had a rough life, give the guy a break.

I have heard some good reviews of Dragon's Demand, and some APs have imo good modules, though they often require some assembly, especially between modules. Do you have any particular tastes?

I can see that. Everything's in its infancy, right now, so I'm a little more focused on hashing out the racial identities than much in the way of balance. The racial feats are here to stay, though, since I want them to have a bigger impact mechanically, but I WILL be making changes to them mechanically in the future to make them more balanced.
When I usually end up playing most RPGs, I can't help but feel that races are only as different as ethnicity, and I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of that. I have plans to eventually throw in Paragon classes to allow even further delving into races to make them even more pronounced.

Which race make better wives, Kitsune or Tanuki?

I'm asking for myself.

SWASHBUCKLER
WASHBUCKLERS
ASHBUCKLERSW
SHBUCKLERSWA
HBUCKLERSWAS
BUCKLERSWASH
UCKLERSWASHB
CKLERSWASHBU
KLERSWASHBUC
LERSWASHBUCK
ERSWASHBUCKL
RSWASHBUCKLE
SWASHBUCKLER

Tarlach is probably my favorite Mabi NPC.

I haven't played since uh... they introduced the transformation mastery skill. I think alchemy and shadow stuff came out then too, but I can't recall.

Kitsune, without a fuckin' doubt.

Fair enough. It'll be interesting to see how things end up; I'm always interested in reading about high-powered games.

*since I want the races to have a bigger impact mechanically

Thanks, by the way!

woops I can link

Is it true that Changelings are commonly born as hermaphrodites? I want to make a Changeling but I don't want to make one with a penis, that just seems misogynist.

You're a PC, you don't need to be an average member of your race.

No, it's not, and you're a shit-stirrer.

What the fuck is with this "PCs should be special snowflakes" mentality
Fuck off

It's not true, no.

Changelings in PF are female.

A major developer at Paizo wanted to make Changelings hermaphroditic, how is that not evidence enough they should be that way?

What did dragons do during the Age of Darkness?

They ruled Tian Xia.

Hey Guys, I'm running the Skull and Shackles campaign for my group, and I'm making a DMPC, which I've never done before (since I've never DM'ed before, and our usual DM wants to actually play the game for once).

I'm torn between two ideas, based on Aeron and Victarion Greyjoy. The first is a Saltbeard Dwarven Cleric (Herald Caller Archetype), CN, Cthulhu Deity. This would be based on necromancy and summoning outsider creatures from beneath the waves. His CN alignment would be so that he could reasonably justify going along with whatever the party wanted.. His only aspiration would be to sow chaos among the seas and keep them free of any sort of rule of law as a heaven for pirates. He'd also be batshit insane. He'd also be decent non-healing support particularly if a player goes with my next idea, which I am strongly suggesting would be useful (and to be honest I would use as my DMPC if none of them took him up for the incredible synergy he'd have with this cleric).

The thing is, I don't want the DMPC to impact too much, and Necromancers tend to upset the flow of battle, in my experience.

How the fuck do you build a Living Grimoire?

see

>All PCs should be generic and stereotypical

Do you try and call human characters special snowflakes when they include slightly uncommon things like a fraternal twin or upperclass parents in their backstory?
Those are uncommon or rare in the game world, too.

DMPCs are almost always horrible.
Try your best to just not do it.
Like, anything a DMPC brings to the party can be done with loot instead.

Is there any actual lore or fluff on Lizardfolk?

I don't know what it is but you could extract the souls from ~300 people and make pages out of their skin and then put their souls back into their skin-pages and make sure they're constantly awake and aware of their new position in life as pages in a book.
That sounds pretty necromantic, huh?

No, because Paizo are hack frauds.

>Do you try and call human characters special snowflakes when they include slightly uncommon things like a fraternal twin or upperclass parents in their backstory?
Are you implying these aren't special snowflake traits, user?

>any sort of individuality is special snowflake territory
Enjoy assimilation you fucking drone.

I bet you kiss girls you fucking faggot.

I compiled the 1000 tiefling traits thread, you may have seen it, but evidently there aren't 1000 after cleaning up and removing some duplicates. The thread is at paizo.com/threads/rzs2jqf5, there's still dupes so please point out any errors, add names, make up new shit, whatever. Thanks.

Well, it depends on the kitsune. Some were pretty good waifus but many were pretty horrible monsters that would use their shapeshifting powers to murder and eat people.

In contrast, tanuki were just straight up tricksters and pranksters. They would use their shapeshifting powers to trick people and make them feel stupid, but they rarely ever resorted to outright murder.

holy shit dude good job

>I bet you kiss girls

>PCs are gifted with rare and sometimes unique talents such as spellcasting talent, innate magic bloodlines, or elite martial prowess
>They're also part of the tiny percentage of the population that forsakes stable safe income and goes out risking their life on adventures
>They're the tiniest percentage of that tiny percentage who actually survive, surpass the limits of normal people, and become richer than entire cities

>What, you want your PC to have some rare and special traits or backstory that makes them stand out from everyone else? Don't be ridiculous, user.

How slow should progress feel. I thought it was just me because I went from a 5e campaign to pathfinder but my group took 5 minutes to do an arcane knowledge check and this shit is killing me on the inside.

What are you talking about? All Changelings are born female and many turn into hags (who are also all female).

A hemaphroditic Changeling might be possible in some kind of one-off unique way, but it's not how they work and it's not how they've ever worked.