Terry Pratchett appreciation thread

Terry Pratchett appreciation thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MC0S60Gp5rM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Too soon.

I'm sorry, but... I can't. I love the man's work too much.

Great, trans-temporal baneposting.

Favourite non-discworld work? I'd say Dark Side of the Sun

Pretty overrated desu. Everything I've read of his has been bland.

>NLB
hello singapore

May you live in interesting times. and you shut your whore mouth

Funny, user, just earlier today, I was just remembering one of my many favorite quotes from him.
>"It is said that whomsoever the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad. In fact, whomsoever the gods wish to destroy, they first hand the equivalent of a stick with a fizzing fuse and Acme Dynamite Company written on the side. It's more interesting, and doesn't take so long." -Soul Music

>It's already been over a year
My god, it still feels like yesterday. And yet also an eternity ago.

I still haven't managed to get myself to read his last book. It's just sitting on my shelf, there for whenever I can handle it.

>whispered granny, in a hoarse whisper.

wow that is terrible writing

should also be "for you, i mean"

looks like his brain had been going for a while lel

Baneposting and good writing are natural opposites

You should remove the menhir you have up your ass, it'll help you understand

I recently (well, kinda, past six months) had the pleasure of reading Carpet People.

The version I read (I don't know if it's every version or a reprint) claimed to be a collaboration between Terry Prachett, 16, and Sir Terry Prachett, 40. I also found it remarkably good for a rather small-scale and woolly setting.

Goddamn, I miss him.

Oh, and pretty clearly a spiritual precursor to Nation, I think.

I wrote to him on World Book Day back when I was 12 and lived in England. He gave a personal reply and a signed photo, which I still have well over a decade later.
I absolutely love his books. One day I hope to read The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents to my kids.
Night Watch has to be the book I've read more than any other. If anyone's getting into the Discworld novels and is enjoying them then I highly recommend the City Watch sub-series.

pic related. Nevertheless, as good as Pratchett is, I'm not sure if an appreciation thread for a novelist qualifies as Veeky Forums related.

Are those teardrops on the photo?

Guards, guards!

His passing was not taken lightly in this household.

What's that tied around your left wrist?

Dialogue doesn't have to be standard grammar desu.

Jokes on you, I read Death's voice with a Jamaican accent

>not reading it in Pratchett's voice

>NOT READING IT IN DEATH'S VOICE

IT'S ASTONISHING REALLY, NO ONE EVER SEEMS TO GET THE INFLECTION QUITE RIGHT.

He was okay, I guess. It's always sad when people die. That's all I can really give him since I didn't know him personally and his work was overrated.

I enjoyed Wyrd Sisters (Or Pyramids, whichever was first.) to Feat of Clay. Everything after that just fell into a routine.

Still better than Douglas Adams though.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

One of those is not dialogue.
>Whispered twice in one sentence

That is inexcusable. I'm not even the user you're replying to.

>she whispered a hoarse whisper
>they died horrible deaths
It's not a mistake, I don't know what the exact term is, but it's a form of repetition.

I've been looking to pick up a copy of that. But not just any, the ridiculously expensive original print with the whimsical illustrations on the cover. The yellow one.

>Sir Terry's Death
>March 12 2015

>Germanwings flight 4U crashes with no survivors in Les baines
>March 24 2015

Coincidence? I think not.

Get this hothead outta here

Unpopular opinion incoming:

The Light Fantastic is his his best book, and the Ankh-Morpork city watch books are the low point of the Discworld series.

Vimes' moment on the barricade, vowing to tell time to go fuck itself, is one of the top moments in the series

That's a fine opinion to have, user. I mean, it's wrong, but who am I to stop you from being wrong.

>trans-temporal baneposting

Truly, the greatest shitpost of our time.

I actually agree.
After that, the characters were reduced to one-dimensional parodies. I mean, his writing style has definitely improved with later books - and that's what saves them - but the plot sways too much in the favor of humor.
Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic were both fantasy and humor in equal parts - they complemented each other.
After that, fantasy took a nosedive and became an unimportant sidekick to comedy parts.

:'(

Now that you mentioned it, I just looked at the entry to Sir Pratchett's sword.

F

I bet you use adverbs for every proclamation of dialogue too you hack

>Meet Terry at a book fair
>Get him to sign Diggers, my favorite book by him
>3 Years later intend to show it to qt 3.14 Pratchett fan.
>Can't find it.

I mean I won a limited edition of Mort last year but still.
Fuck Veeky Forums, it hurts.

I'm afraid that constant exposure and being told how awesome Terry Pratchett is (along with some pretty obnoxious fans) I don't think I'll ever read one of his books for fear of hating it outright.

my dad owns all of them in a big shelf

there's maybe 5/40 I actually enjoyed

He's not awesome, he was just fun and interesting. We mourn his passing because he was important to us, not because his works are some kind of literary masterpieces.

That's really good to hear, the books and what people say they like about them never really interested me and I don't want to get them just to be like "I WAS RIIIIIIIGHT"

Veeky Forums hates fantasy.

We will never hear his voice again.

Veeky Forums has terrible taste in books and actually cheered when Pratchett died. Fuck that place.
I mean, yeah, Veeky Forums and all, but there are limits.

>a novelist
A Knight, with a starmetal sword.
That alone makes him Veeky Forums-related, to say nothing of the words he built and the influence over our community. Even the few fools that haven't read his works know of him and of his main characters - is there anybody here that hasn't heard of Commander Vimes and his 'boots' social theory?

youtube.com/watch?v=MC0S60Gp5rM

>Commander Vimes

Don't say that name. I have a friend with a boner for that guy and I hope to dear god missed the purpose of the character because I'm afraid that if I read anything he's in then I'll get pissed off.

There are no limits, but there is such a thing as a sense of decorum. Or at least style.

This desu senpai

>Veeky Forums has terrible taste in books
So does Veeky Forums.

See: this thread

>That alone makes him Veeky Forums-related
No it doesn't. Nowhere in your post did you say anything about traditional games

Don't be a troll

IIRC we had a nice memorial thread on /v/

>is there anybody here that hasn't heard of Commander Vimes and his 'boots' social theory?
I've never heard of any of this garbage

Starmetal sword.
It doesn't get more Conanesque than that, without stripping down to a loincloth.

>we
>/v/
VERMIN GET OUT REEEEEEEE

>Conanesque
That's a cool traditional game there bro

Oh wait you're still just sucking some dead dude's unfunny British cock

Stop being a troll, dude.

Don't take cheap bait.

>Night Watch has to be the book I've read more than any other.
Yeah, those Russians make pretty good books.

I loved the low-key characteristic of the supernatural stuff in the movie. You were never quite sure if something supernatural was going on or maybe it was just something that looked weird or was coincidental.

This thread is cheap bait. I can't believe anyone ever actually liked Terry Hackett.

He was just some geek chic fad, like girls who claim they love Legend of Zelda but don't actually play the games

Go to bed, /tv/

>but the plot sways too much in the favor of humor.
Wait, his books are anything but humor?
According to his fanbase, everything he does is lolsorandumb shit.

Pratchett has a very British, very irreverent style of prose. Think Douglas Adams, but fluffier. If that's your kind of thing, you'll love Terry. If you dislike that kind of thing, you'll hate it to death. Personally, I love his writing.

He also was, well, one of us. He was a gigantic nerd, an habitual roleplayer, a nitpicker with the best of us, and a common sight in the old BBS boards back when imageboards weren't even an idea. So people liked him as a person, too.

>A Knight, with a starmetal sword.
OH SO MEMETIC

But it's fucking hard to ignore the Prettchy Wankers.

> dead dude's unfunny British cock

Does the fact that he's dead make his cock unfunny? Or the fact that he's British? And would it be a good thing to have a funny cock? I'd rather not have a girl end up laughing upon seeing it...

(inb4 as opposed to crying)

>Think Douglas Adams, but fluffier.
But is he less salty than Adams?
Because fuck, half of the Hitchhiker's books were filled with references to pet peeves that Adams was taking revenge on.
It also didn't help that the final book was fanfiction by a misguided idiot who landed in the Harry Potter trap of explaining every single fucking throwaway line in the prior book as a part of a massive chekhov's gun, instead of leaving that shit be as random references that increase the scale of the setting.

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness

>one of us
A memeturd with shit taste?

>Sir Terry was Kek Incarnate all along
it all makes sense now

Sounds like he's a faggot who doesn't know how to budget.

Was that supposed to be profound?

Stop being a troll.

What's sad is I totally exodcted such a pitiful "witty" response from you

>He also was, well, one of us.
A wanking self-congratulatory fatass neckbeard who's unironically an atheist worshipper of a divine personality cult and rams memes into the ground?

>He was a gigantic nerd,
>teheehehe NEÖÖÖÖÖRD!!!

Ok, yeah, apparently that's exactly what you identify as.

Seriously, what the fuck is up with Terry Pratchett fans also being gigantic wankers?
Like, why can't the guy have a fanbase that doesn't give you the urge to strangulate someone?

>everyone who disagrees with me is a troll get out muh hugbox REEEEEEEEEE
No

>that filename
DAMMIT NOW I CAN'T HELP IT

FUCK YOU user

Worst thread on Veeky Forums right now.

This makes me sad.

On your first line I thought it was about the free shit that rich people get for being rich.

Then it turned retarded. The ability to find quality has to be acquired as a skill. There is nothing preventing cheap shit from being superior.

A disposable razor is infinitely cheaper and better than the ones that all the dumb faggots buy, for example.

F'real. I got nothing against the guy but his godawful fanbase makes me glad he's too dead to churn out more garbage britwank novels

>Worst thread on Veeky Forums right now.
Can't be.

About 75% of all Veeky Forums threads nowadays are stale memes that get reposted on a constant schedule by some kind of bot created by some dumbfuck. At least I hope it's a bot with a neural network to vary the wording of the OP post, instead of an actual autist who goes full futa spammer without futa every single day of the entire fucking year.
And even the few original threads are shit like this one.

Veeky Forums has stopped not being shit long ago.

I've come back after a month's absence and I'm saddened by this.

And kind of glad I got off the ride now.

Never saw any of this fanbase, It showed up after he died like it happens with every celebrity or I'm just as blind as I'm deaf?

>About 75% of all Veeky Forums threads nowadays are stale memes that get reposted on a constant schedule by some kind of bot created by some dumbfuck
Are you implying that Terry Pratchett isn't a constantly regurgitated stale meme?

You're probably part of it, champ

I'm not disagreeing with you. You are just throwing out random insults.

Like a troll.

HE WAS A GHOST TERRORIST PROVE ME WRONG

>Never saw any of this fanbase

Same here. The one guy who does ruin Prachett for me was already the kind of guy who ruins whatever he likes for everybody so I don't even blame Prachett for it.

>stale memes

I have literally only heard this from my friend's Freshman-in-highschool brother.

When did Veeky Forums start caring about memes?

Ironic, considering all you've done is call everyone around you a troll for daring to question His Supreme Memeness Pratchett

Veeky Forums has always been about the memes