How would you run a game with a tone similar to Bojack Horseman?

How would you run a game with a tone similar to Bojack Horseman?

Primetime Adventures, maybe.

I bet the right group could do a Fiasco with that tone. I've had a few games of it come close by accident.

Can't. Games need to have a strong atmosphere no matter what and the shows all about pulling 180s. You can't run a joke game then expect the players to be interested in it. The best I could do would be have a very dark oppressive game with strong hope spots that turn out to be false. The other thing you'd need to do is run a game that has at the very least a tendril towards real life. The best I could think of is a Unknown Armies game set in LA. Have the players be either up and coming artists in the community who start realizing what they have to sacrifice or burnt out mages trying to recapture their time in the lime light. UA is absurdist at most times and making a silly game dark is pretty easy to do if you don't try to do 180s

Swinging between hilarious, depressing, and occasionally kind of uplifting?

I did that once.

It was called Dark Heresy.

Operating from memory here but I think the system is called Nicotine Girls, basic premise is entirely social 'combat' where you can help or hinder other players wit the ultimate goal being to undermine your fellow players and try not to sink into depression

This?

That's it

Everyone is John with John being the drug addled star of a very famous TV show

>tfw shes dead

Why even live? ;_;7

Unknown Armies, despair and self-defeat based adept school or an avatar of The Fuck-Up or Inverted Fool

>that spoiler

Thank god I binge-watched the new season as soon as I could

God fucking damn it. You better be fucking with me or I will cut you.

Would have to be investigative, political, or somehow just set up for a specific thing with a specific group who is down for that shit

Literally who.

You get your gaming group together, and you start drinking. You keep on drinking. You throw up, pass out, wake up, and then you drink again. If one of the members of your group wants to stop, you violently throw them out of the house and never speak to them again. You keep on drinking. The allure of drinking starts to wear off, but you keep on doing it, and maybe mix in some hard drugs to spice things up. You start to get sick of your groups company, but you keep hanging around with them because you have no one else. Keep on drinking.

Keep on drinking.

Lose your group.

Keep on drinking.

this got a little too real for a second

It does get easier. The trick is you have to do it every day, and that's the hard part. But it does get easier.

Why are you even in a thread about Bojack Horseman without being up to date?

Shadowrun set in Hollywood with a lot of SURGE guys around. Make sure to take lots of flaws for more money to buy booze/drugs