Map Thread

Rate my current campaign's map

10/10, would start War of Northern Aggression in your campaign.

1/10
biomes look like aranged on a grid
weak sense of scale
unpleasant ductus that strongly betrays the digital brushes
weak transition of biomes
incohesive naming

Here's another unfinished map.
Input?

Like this much better, you can tell there is something unique to this world going on with the beacons and notable caves.

Work on clear label placement. And do you really need the hex grid? It is distracting and it should at least be behind the labels.

7/10 factoring in it's incarnate.

I really like it aside from one single thing: the labels hurt my eyes. I'm not familiar with Incarnate so I don't know how to fix it but they are entirely unreadable.
The rest looks pretty good.

Is there a reason that nothing is labeled beyond the mountains and the Oun?

>unfinished

You need to work on your nomenclature.

I didn't make it,
And all the names are of cities and towns in Spain

Pretty good, you managed to make a decent-looking stylized map.

>And all the names are of cities and towns in Spain
Yes, but everything else is written in English. Lake Abierto, Secorian Planes and so on, and so on, sounds weird and false. It's also rather jarring seeing such a well known as Sevílle in the middle of a fantasy land if it isn't meant to indeed be set in Spain.

I think the Inkarnate Notes system doesn't have different font sizes, but I'm not sure.

Put the text over the grid, not under it, you swine.

Speaking of languages, I keep getting confused when I make maps. Should I translated regional names, like those for towns, forests, and whatnot, into English equivalents for people to understand, or leave the proper names in the foreign language while translating stuff like "river," "forest," "mountain," etc?

In the map above, I left most things in foreign, like Fassagh Kelley (Virgin Forest), but then I worry that its the kind of unpronounceable fantasy nonsense that makes people put down books.

Yeah, I was a bit annoyed that my DM just decided to steal the names of Spanish cities. His excuse for it was that when you're in a new land you wouldn't understand the names and stuff; and he's been to Spain and we haven't so we wouldn't have known all the Spanish names.

I like this one, did you make it?

It's from Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity.

Don't play the game; it's boring.

This is the southern part of the Kingdom my campaign is currently taking place in. It's probably the most complete map I've made, the word map and the full region map are still a bit lacking or just older

bump

I like me some Black Company. There's very little of what the books don't visit at some point, though.

What'd you use to make this map? Looks pretty awesome.

Just photoshop and a lot of time and planning

Here's the region map, you can see the section of the previous map is near the center of this one

finally, here's the continent map (about 1/5th the world) probably my 2nd favorite of the large scale maps I've made, the first being the first one I posted in the thread, I also have a city map and a few rinky dink town maps I can post if people are interested in more of my stuff

And here I thought I was cool for using Donjon and slapping some text over a pregenned map. Great work.

Where's the Blacklake District? And the docks district is too small. The layout is all wrong too.

The entire city is too small, it takes up about the right size (for a population of 23,000) but the buildings are MUCH too spread out, it'd be 23,000 with tightly packed buildings and 2-3 story buildings everywhere

Here is a map I'm working on for a worldbuilding project.

Current world building im doing, did the shape on inkarnate first and then photoshop for the rest.

working on defacto control map too

Something I posted a few threads ago

The "notes" are only there because clicking on them produced background info text. I haven't properly labelled anything yet, i just wanted you to see the placenames.

Please explain.

I have no idea how to do that in inkarnate. It's probably because that's not text but notes.

Also, beyond the Oun everything is supposed to be plains, only sometimes used for agriculture, and mostly just wide rolling fields with some few groups of trees. Beyond the mountains the map is, as said, unfinished.
Why does your water look like water? How did you manage to make your riverbanks look so shaded and clear?

Also, that depends entirely on your setting. In DnD specifically human Common is said to integrate elements from other languages a lot.

Things are named goofily. Some of them are real places (Seville, Ft. Sumter,) some of them are from video games (Daedric Shrine,) and some of them seem overly generic or even made up on the spot (Ville, Farmhouse)

I am not the OP.
I'm another guy who made a map () and wanted some input.

Scaling problem with the southwestern river delta.
Either you have a 25km wide river cutting through the continent, or a normal river suddenly widens to a hundred km wide sea which looks suspiciously like a normal river delta would.

Is there just nothing of note north of the mountains? The scale is small enough (someone could march six hexes a day at a reasonable pace) that you'd think a lot of people would go up and have a look.

>unfinished
>Beyond the mountains the map is, as said, unfinished.

There is supposed to be one other "metropolis" city

If that's the case, and it's meant to be seen at that scale, the text could use a little formatting. All the names are overlapping each other

see
>The "notes" are only there because clicking on them produces background info text. I haven't properly labelled anything yet, i just wanted you to see the placenames.

>when you're in a new land you wouldn't understand the names
This is true. But then it's almost always better to either make up names that follow a basic nomenclature, which you should be able to make up in a couple of minutes at most.

That or using a real foreign language and translating words into it, not just steal already existing place names straight off. For example, a small town standing on or around a hill could simply be called Hill, which when translated into a different language can come out as, among others; Montem, Hiwwel, Colina, Cnoc, Kulle, Mäki, or Hoyde.

Are there any good unmarked / unlabeled ones floating around?

I just want to cop a map.

The rivers are a little goofy, but it could serve

>You dumb Americlaps don't know the names of Spanish cities, amirite?
>Good, so... your adventures take you to the mystical city of Toledo...

>"this map looks amazing, who's the artist?"
>one reverse image search later
>"deviantart? aw, SHIT."
>"okay, okay, maybe it's not that bad."
>map by Karbo
>deviantart Core Member
>vore artist

Got any more maps? Especially on the scale of the smallest one

>Why does your water look like water? How did you manage to make your riverbanks look so shaded and clear?
I just didn't color in the water? I painted the entire map with the fill tool and then carved out a river with the remove fill tool. The "land" layer in Inkarnate is a separate layer that automatically generates shadows over the lower "water" layer that is the default Inkarnate texture when you open the editor.

Hm, okay. But if the setting you've made is explicitly not speaking English, how much do you translate?

The setting is about pieces of civilizations throughout time and space being transported via wormholes to a plane where no civilization survives long because giant monsterwomen walk the earth, eating everyone in sight. These women are immune to all weapons too, so your fate as an adventurer is to be eated.

Please tell me that the face door makes you answer riddles. I love that shit.

>The Girt
pic related

Well... at least we know how to spot him.

another fucking vorefag

What's wrong with "The Girt?" It comes from the expression
>Girt by the sea
and the original city that was founded in that subkingdom is circled on three sides by the rivers of the region.

And eventually the region brought under their control was bounded on four sides by rivers and sea, though the sea isn't visible on the map.

One of the countries of my homebrew.
Recommendations on improving?

Each town and village has a name as well, but I'm not putting that on a bloody map.

That harbor inlet looks like the cross-section of a vagina

>land tool
I never realized that, because the water has borders while land doesn't

What do you mean?
"the setting does not speak english" is utterly meaningless, because the main language will end up being translated into english anyway.
so what sounds old timey in english will be the equivalent of old timey [main language]. So You translate exatly as much as the characters speaking only the main language would understand.
No one would understand what "London" means nowadays, but people could understand "Westham".

Similarly in my setting
-i left "Twoville", "Millbridge" etc translated,
-"Caldsteadt" and "Isquillborg" semi translated in old english,
-while "Hanud'uhnäd" is in a foreign language, and the meaning in dwarven is explained in the description, same with "Minnuialelei" and "Tinnelei"
-while "Aretiel" and "Venea" are just names reminescent of one language or the other

Kek, you're not wrong

Yes, the face door does tell riddles, but now it's pulling a real doozy on us and is asking for a "shepherds pie"

One of the towns in my setting, Penlac is rather small but important thanks to it being situated right next to one of the springs that feeds into the Regic River System

The ways your bodies of water are different colours and divided by borders makes it difficult to figure out. If Alderon and The Abyssal Expanse are different colours does that mean Bal'Gharn is also a different ocean?

Here's a first pass on my current DnD campaign region. Part of a larger map that is in piss poor shape right now.

Older map I made. Added some color in post to get a rough idea of what it'd look like.

Said piss poor map...

And, because I'm a piece of shit, here's another map from last year's campaign.

maps are highly political, so just think about what the mapmaker would want.
i.e.
>humans invading elvish forest
just make it human names for things coz fuck elves
>humans and elves are buddies
they'd probably use elvish names for things
>elvish map of human lands
probably in elvish because elves think they're better than humans (or whatever)

I like the retro look.
What is this made in?

Earth Kingdom?

>Similarly in my setting
That's exactly what I mean. You left the Dwarven name untranslated because it's foreign, but I'm just wondering if, for proper nouns like town names, person names, etc. if the setting is that the people here speak a specific language, should I translate that into English equivalents or not. So it seems to me that you decided to translate it, i.e. Twoville, Millbridge, etc. That would lead me to translating things like Cass Kell into Stalkwood or Salljey Cur into Saltlick Swamp.

I was just wondering specifically which works better for players; translate, or leave alone. Which works better to immerse them in the world, but doesn't go full-on special snowflake.

Were you the guy running quest?

Alderon is clearly another land's territory.

I look forward to seeing the completion of your map so I can add it to my collection of maps.

That makes sense.

Map for a quest I never got around to finishing the intro for.

that i have no idea about i haven't actually GMd yet i was just trying to do some generic fantasy worldbuilding.

Don't listen to this user It's a pretty good game. Play it.

The graphics are fine and the gameplay works, but the story is boring. Granted, I gave up after playing that town with the human sacrifices and elf incest but I didn't feel like the main story was hooking me after the initial meeting with the priest of that deposed queen of the gods.

>a single farmhouse shows up as a significant location nearly equal in scale to a city

>Inkarnate

I give you 2/10, only better than 0 for a decent naming sense.

That's the only map I have at that size, but here's a city map I made for use in a few sessions

d-did you just repost my map?

I'm kinda tickled that it was liked enough to save

Here is the map from my King Arthur campaign last year. Took about two weeks to complete.

Does Fort Sumter often get attacked by rebels?

Yes, but they're all too green to understand what they're trying to do, so they go away after a few tries.The smart ones keep tabs on the fort's activities and either leave when they get bored, or get conscripted after a few surprise attacks that impress the soldiers.

How did that campaign turn out? I remember seeing this in some map threads.

MS Paint.

>face door/10

It went well for a while, I started running out of written material and one of the players moved so we had to put the game on hiatus. We made it from 485 AD to 506 AD. I tried to start it up again but couldn't get anyone that interested so we started a different game. I kept the notes and will probably run it again maybe online or something.

Not that guy, but been following you for a while through these threads and others. Glad to see that Fuck-Gorgeous map got used for something worthwhile.

10 million hours in MSpaint.

Thanks man! I will be doing more maps in the future for sure. There is a group building a Post-Apocalyptic setting and game in my area that I might be doing some work for.

Started in Inkarnate and copied it over to GIMP when I ran out of space. I wanted to squeeze in some sort of generic snowy mountain area but I don't know how to fit it in when there's already a desert and a jungle-like area (Duldatha and the island below it) so close.

Haha you Dixie motherfucker

I'm gonna get some AD&D 3rd edition going again with my boys

Man, looking at all these super awesome maps is making me insecure about my own shitty unfinished map. I'm pretty much learning Photoshop as I make this.