Traveller General

Docking Complete. Freight 4 weeks late fucking pirates Ship maintenance Due definitely not paying that Ship Mortgage Due not paying that either Living costs Due can I afford to eat this month? hmmm... If I want that Beam Laser, I better eat cheap.... 400 Cr for living costs Have you Paid Your Crew? Shit! totally forgot about them... I guess I'll just pay the marine, that way if the others mutiny, at least He'll be there to stop 'em. Price of Refuel: 37,000 Cr Shieeeeeeet. Well boys, looks like we're gonna have to skim fuel again. Jumping's gonna be dicey...

What is Traveller?
1d4chan.org/wiki/Traveller

Traveller Folder and Pastebin:
mediafire.com/folder/r778br7g7ux9q/Traveller
pastebin.com/swinsu7x

Music to Explosive Decompression to;

>Old Timey Space music
youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4&list=RD02FH8lvwXx_Y8

>Slough Feg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZM7DJqiYonw&list=PL8DEC72A8939762D4

>Goldsmith - Alien Soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=jwCcrhUdgOI&list=PL56A81A723975A961

>Herrmann - The Day the Earth Stood Still
youtube.com/watch?v=3ULhiVqeF5U

Just picked up Marc Millers Traveller at a Half-Priced Books. Did I make a mistake?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/lcajhdj00lsyo/MONGOOSE_TRAVELLER
mediafire.com/folder/puqo88hi0x9vs/TRAVELLER
mediafire.com/folder/uhnoo7g5lr5mj/CLASSIC_TRAVELLER
mediafire.com/folder/24622bifkjr8x/Travelller
mediafire.com/view/318ckye7j8zyaev/Traveller_-_Mongoose_-_Supplement_9_-_Campaign_Guide.pdf
drivethrurpg.com/product/189470/MgT-Traveller-GM-Screen
archive.org/stream/TheSpaceGamer/The Space Gamer 040#page/n7/mode/2up
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Someone should update the pastebin, a lot of those links don't seem to work.

Wait. Some of them work?

Old timey space music seems to.

Shit, used a fucking ancient thread starter
Mongoose Traveller (MgT)
mediafire.com/folder/lcajhdj00lsyo/MONGOOSE_TRAVELLER

Other Traveller folders:

Main Folder:
mediafire.com/folder/puqo88hi0x9vs/TRAVELLER

Classic Traveller (CT)
mediafire.com/folder/uhnoo7g5lr5mj/CLASSIC_TRAVELLER

Other Traveller Folder
mediafire.com/folder/24622bifkjr8x/Travelller

Campaign Guide
mediafire.com/view/318ckye7j8zyaev/Traveller_-_Mongoose_-_Supplement_9_-_Campaign_Guide.pdf
That should be up to date, albeit without Mongoose 2e. Anyways, is T4 any good?

>Anyways, is T4 any good?
ANY good? Yes.
ALL good? Not even close.

How do I get into a group? Are there any someone can direct me to?

I think both the Mongoose board and Citizens of the Imperium have player locator threads.

>Just picked up Marc Millers Traveller at a Half-Priced Books. Did I make a mistake?
>Anyways, is T4 any good?
Aside from the core task mechanic being a bit odd, the rulebook is pretty solid. The other books range from pretty good to mostly useless.

You're going to need this.

Yep the mongoose forum has a player locator thread. check the latest post and see if there's anyone in your area!

Is the book any good?

So in the game I'm running, the players have managed to get stuck on a TL6 world in the middle of a world war. Their ship has been impounded by a neutral power, so they've stolen a flying boat (think PBY Catalina) and are trying to make enough money to pay the fine. Other than getting them outright killed, I could use some suggestions for obstacles. Help?

>open up Fate of the the Kinunir to give it a read
>get one page in
>pause to look up something in the Traveller Integrated Timeline

>four hours later I'm still reading the Timeline and following it to articles about the Third Imperium
>Still on page 1 of FotK

At this rate it'll take me about 400 hours of reading to finish this book .

hey Veeky Forums do you use some form of DM screen or SM notes? Or just shuffle trough rulebook during play? I'm prepping for my first traveller game and searching for DM screens online were fruitless. I want to play mong 2e specifically.

Oh, and if someone got their hands on High Guard for 2e, please feel free to share!

Man, you've basically got World War II going on, I'd bust out the Casablanca references.

Or maybe give the party offers to be hired as agents to screw with one side or the other. That would likely get them in more trouble with the neutral power, but could be lucrative.
(Also you get to offer them missions to disrupt the enemy morale and cause them to waste resources reacting to the spies, which is great fun. I'd crib ideas straight out of Eric Frank Russell's classic SF espionage novel Wasp.)

Appreciated. It looks as if some of the players are picking sides, so there's that too.

T4 is good in the technical aspects of the game. Fire, Fusion, and Steel is a great supplement and T4 handled weapon damage better than some other versions.

For the game I used, I had a mismash of Mongoose, with T4 equipment & tech, and bits of Megatraveller's trade added in as well.

T4's version of Fire, Fusion & Steel would have been much better without the typographical fuck ups, which is why I generally stick to the TNE version of the book.

Sometimes I wish I had a better grasp of the sciences so as to better reconcile my ideas for planets with that which is within the realm of scientific plausibility.

The ongoing exoplanet search keep finding weird shit. Aside from very much air on worlds smaller than size 4, Traveller may not be weird enough.

drivethrurpg.com/product/189470/MgT-Traveller-GM-Screen
This one's decent, otherwise I use a bunch of snippets from the PDF mixed with a bunch of notes for my game specifically gathered up in a OneNote doc I could post, but it's easy enough to just snip out whatever you'd personally find useful, most of the tables are relatively close together.

Kinda makes me wonder if MgT2 made more planet variance and stuff. Like, I still use MgT, but the planet size only goes up to 10 and we've found some much bigger stuff out there.

Godzilla is, IIRC, about Size 17, but most of the super-terrenes have been size 9-12 (Earth being an 8). T5 does allow bigger worlds than size 10.

Whups. More like Size 20, assuming the density is the same as Earth.

It's only got a radius of 2.35 Earth radii.

8x2.35=18.8

So about a size 19. Still a big bruiser.

Is the Size scale linear like that?

Up through 15 at least.

Shit must be so weird on planets of that size. I feel like you'd need a whole book on just planetary mechanics in order to do making planets justice, kinda like how MegaTraveller did. Shit, I still refer back to that book just because it's jam-packed with grognardy shit only I'd care about.

Godzilla is apparently really close to its star, but a super-terrene out further could probably support life. Just not tall life.

>apparently
It's even closer in than Mercury is to Sol.

Hey, do you guys think MgT's High Guard ruleset is good for building orbital bases, like, ones drilled out of asteroids towed into orbits and stuff? Or is it meant to be used for ships only?

Not sure how big it gets for MGT2, but even the usual maximum of one million displacement tons is really not very large as asteroids go.

I know Classic High Guard better than MgT, but I know that Asteroid ships work fine....

So how does one Traveller? I can't quite picture a typical game of it. Your players are crew members with a mortgage on their ship and have to make constant payments by selling and buying through dice rolls? Where's the action? Are there any good examples of a typical game of Traveller anywhere?

On the other hand, the costs for asteroid hulls from some earlier editions are still useful for figuring out much larger installations die to being formula based. CT High Guard, for example.

But for bases, you probably just want to skip the stats.

>by selling and buying through dice rolls?

Well, if you really want. But it's set up so you are probably not going to make it as a trading vessel, so you need to earn money on the side. Which means adventuring.

Heck, you don't even need the ship, just be space hobos, it's great.

The Guardians of the Galaxy movie without the Gem handling BS at the end.
All of Firefly.
Add Farscape and Babylon 5 to taste.

The trade and speculation rules are intended to be the background noise for shore leave shenanigans, attempted hijackings, snakes on planes, life during wartime, and the occasional bout of Big Damn Heroes.

Read "Aboard the Leviathan"
archive.org/stream/TheSpaceGamer/The Space Gamer 040#page/n7/mode/2up

That's a great read. I love the low-tech airlocks.

It was eye opening to read new many years ago, as my youthful Traveller games were very much "Y So Sryus?"