MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

100% Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

deckstats.net/decks/68074/554287-heartless-hidetsugu/en
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/riku-the-conductor-of-the-value-train/.
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw when you tweak your deck and still go 0 -3 with just shit in hand every game

God that proxy on the left looks like trash
So much wasted card space. Literally half the card is wasted on the border or nothing

The wording in the first Melek doesn't allow you to copy spells when they are cast from your library due to sources other than Melek. 0/10

It's a Hearthstone border.

Wow that looks like shit.

Obviously. That doesn't make it good though.
UNBAN BALANCE AND LIMITED RESOURCES

What is the best foreign language for pimping out your deck?

Probably german or japanese.

>What is the best foreign language for pimping out your deck?
Japanese

Russian comrade

Put a list together on TappedOut and post it here when it's finished. It may not be me, but someone will have suggestions.

Italian. Read every card loudly in an Italian accent.

Is Melek gonna be the new Shu Yun for awhile? All his fan boys (myself included) seem to be crawling out of the woodwork these past few weeks.

>wormspiralmaschine
>mfw

Rightio, need to figure out what control will work for now. Most of the wheel recommendations from before were pretty cheap, and I already have day's undoing, so this should be a fun deck to put together.

Diminishing Returns could be an okay card for once, and I'd love to see it not be terrible.

>mfw playing sliver tribal
I fucking love Slivers holy shit. Every game is something different.
>mill someone to death with screeching
>make a player durdle for 5 turns using mesmeric
>gemhide+heart Sliver for immediate ramp
>going infinite with Sliver queen

I think this is my new favorite deck for EDH by far!

German for human languages. Pic related.
Hieroglyphs are pretty good, too. Extra cred for traditional chinese, so far only card I've seen with is that super ultra rare Starlit Angel and Mindslaver. I like russian and korean hieroglyphs the most.

Man i'd love to play slivers but I din't play standard in the blocks they were released, and I can't justify the cost behind a sliver deck.

Most slivers are piss cheap though. It's the manabase that costs.

I think that's more or less what I meant. Some of the cards are pricey as fuck, and it's another issue of ordering cards as my locals aren't the ones to keep slivers, in fact I have a hard time finding good Elf cards locally. And I don't wanna have to pay 120$ for a bunch of cards worth 50$ just because I have to buy from 6 separate stores in the US.

Unless you find the cards from a single or two sellers in MCM or local store, I wouldn't bother. Most of the slivers are under 10 cent cards, not counting legendaries, which can be pretty costly, Sliver Legion is insane, and Sliver Queen is pretty expensive too, but she's definitely the strongest of all 5 colour commanders.
But keep in mind, when you have a good manabase, you're not gonna regret it even if you end up disliking slivers, as it can be reused, while most of the slivers are only good for slivers.

>majority of world doesnt use romanised script
>calls roman script human language
Amerifag confirm

Well, the majority of the world is Chinese, and they definitely aren't people

It's Americuck now. Keep with the times memester

Post decks y'all

Mayael is closer to Goodstuff than anything else. Everything is so jumbled there's no coherent theme except "Is it power 5 or greater? Does it do something neat? Yes? Throw it in the deck".

And it works, for some mad fucking reason.

Not gonna bother making a new image because I'm a filthy phoneposter but list instead:

-Brion Stoutarm pet deck

-Memnarch artifacts

-Ryx infect

-Ghave creature combo

-Gitrog combo

-Hanna stax

Mogis creature&hand hate (Rakdos Enchantress)

-Bladewing dragon tribal

-Rith tokens

-Wrexial sub 50€ casual

-Tibor&Lumia spellslinger (Need sleeves and few cuts)

-Experiment Kraj combo (WIP)

-Espertai Wizards&Zombies (building for casual new meta 'bar nights casual')

What do you guys think of Marchesa? I'm starting to lean towards building her.

She's certainly flavourful. Might be good for casual play

Why is Sliver Legion so expensive? Low print run?

I pulled a Bitterblossom the oter day from a MM pack. Should I throw it in my Oloro deck? Since I'll be gaining life every tutn I can easily spare the one to fill my board with tokens

See if you can get the premium deck series, it's a good start.

>never once built with green
>feel dirty because of it
It just doesn't appeal to me as a color, everything I look at feels very one-note

She looks like a great Stax commander.

You are cancer.

>only ever built green
>all the different color sets with green
Believe me, I feel dirtier.

Yeah, because it was only printed in Future Sight. I don't know if it's actually played in any format, but I do not think so. It's pretty good though, one sided Coat, but not good enough to justify the price in my opinion.

Shouldn't it be pretty cheap then due to all the people buying FS boxes for Goyf?

What's your favorite uncommon in edh? Mine is pic related. Almost won me the game once.

Skullclamp

Price of Progress

Duh.

Dumb question: can you use Phelddagrif's first ability multiple times to give him multiple instances of trample?

And by first ability I mean green ability, shit, it's listed as first in the oracle text

Yes

Oh boy!

>tfw I run the same decks but with an Ayli deck as well
>tfw you retired your maelstrom and mine is so good it never loses
We should mirror match user, but be warned, I'm a spike in Timmy's clothes.

Well I build a lot with red

I just don't like playing creature-heavy decks for some reason, and that's green's whole schtick. I do have one deck that's creature-focused, but they don't stick around, I blitz them in and sac them EOT

deckstats.net/decks/68074/554287-heartless-hidetsugu/en

The RKF art looks fucking awesome in the new frame

>tfw Gix will never get his own card
>You will never be able to make a Gix deck

AT LAST

I would love to have that proxy on the left for some of my commanders

i think thats the back of a sleeve?

Its a staple in pretty much every deck of mine

That's actually really tough, because most of the good shit I use is rare.

Any of the Behemoths will do, then. I think Kalonian Behemoth is uncommon. 9/9 with Shroud fucks my opponents over horrendously every time, it's glorious.

You best resolve it at the speed of light though. I play 2 myself and it's fine as long as you don't slog down the game.

My favorite uncommon? Hymn to Touarch and Ashnods aren't bad.

I've won a few games with this, saves my board from tons of boardwipes only to help me rebuild a new board.

Oh man, there are days when I regret taking apart MW, believe me.
It turned into a EMA box though so there's that.

I think the best way I've seen it used is my opponents trigger it during my turn if they want to look at the top cards for a bit longer than 2-3 seconds, or they pop it in their turn to do all the things with the stuff in 2 seconds.

I don't have a problem with that. What I hate is people who spend 20 minutes on their 7 extra turns, get nothing more than 2-3 mana sources in the 6 turns and then wipe everybody in the last turn. If you can't do your combo to kill people in 2-3 turns, don't do extra turns because you're a cunt wasting everybody's time.

If I see an opponent take more than 3 turns, I scoop. They generally take 10-15 minutes to resolve it, and I just want to play magic, not see you turn land sideways to play Part the Water Veil or something like it for the 7th time.

First off, just grab all the monarch cards. Its in theme, means more card draw, and some of them reward you for keeping the monarch like the one that poops out dragons.

Grab Iroas, god of victory, and load up on deathtouch creatures. They now have to assign 2 creatures to block anything you swing with, meaning your deathtouch assassins get 2 things to pick from what to kill. AND attacking creatures you control don't take damage, so you won't even lose your assassins for having done so.

This comes with the benefit of an indestructible blocker if you can get him to creature mode.

Also grab things like viridian bow which let you use your creature to ping their creature. Deathtouch works across that ping, so you can just put it on Marchesa/one of your assassins and basically make it 'destroy target creature ones a turn'.

Dragon Throne of Takir, and put it on the biggest dude you got. Gives all your other creatures +X/+X and trample, which if you beef up anything with deathtouch means they deal 1 damage to any blocker (killing them) and the rest overflows to the player. Unless you have Iroas out, in which case you kill two creatures and then the same.

Grab the few good mardu raid cards, like the one that makes things cheaper when you attack with him. Make sure you have an answer to indestructible, but you have white in your colors so exile shouldn't be hard to get. Giving your creatures vigilance and first strike are also great, because those both play well with the deathtouch you should be pooping out.

Have you ever just accidentally locked a player down? I dropped a turn one grafdigger's cage because I could in a game that had melek. Turns out that shut down his entire gameplan because he built his deck heavily around flashback+library manipulation.

I get away fine with a manabase of trilands, basics, and a tiny number of rainbow lands

Archetype of Courage is probably the most efficient way of giving everything first strike. Power of fire is very cheap on the mana and you can slap it on the queen immediately thanks to haste. Vampire Nighthawk has probably the best combination of defensive and evasive abilities to keep the monarchy and get it back. Chandra's Ignition is pretty cool with deathtouch and even moreso with lifelink. Basandra might be neat to make opponents creatures attack each other (since you have deathtouchers out) and also on theme by being in conspiracy 1. Maybe even Alhammaret's Archive might be good in that deck but I'm not sure. New grenzo helps by both goading their creatures and drawing you some of their cards. Planeswalkers probably work well with her too if you can rattlesnake attackers away from you.

I usually do something similar. When I run top or any of the various tutors, I usually pop it on my opponent's turn, or assuming they're not going to mill me, futz around during their turn to make sure no one has to watch me shuffle for 10 minutes.

I always feel that extra turns are a little like stax, if you have a string wincon they're good, otherwise you're just fucking around making everyone miserable while you pray for magical Christmasland.

>OOOOONA MAAAAHGIIIIAAA

When I play my RGW Ramp/Mayael Goodstuff deck, when I search for lands I call out what i'm searching for, unless it lets me search for nonbasic.

IE, play Nissa's renewal "Looking for 2 plains, 1 mountain, pass turn". That's if my opponents are strict/competitive. Otherwise I just say "Nissa's renewal, pass turn while searching through this massive stack of cards"

I can't stop reading this in Captain Falcao's voice
>MALDICH COMMUNESH

You'd think so, but Goyf wasn't that great when it first came out, and it's price was bad. I remember people trading playsets for Akroma at that time.

I've had it happen to me. Someone hit me with a turn 2 Stigma Lasher when I was playing a lifegain deck.

They didn't know it was a lifegain deck.

>goyf wasn't that great when it first came out
Goyf has always been a good card in Standard/Legacy, and in Modern. It was bonkers the day it was released, just nobody really thought of it as anything but "A dumb 2/3 for 2 that is sometimes a 3/4". Yeah it was like a 2 or 3 dollar card right at release, but not because it was bad, because people were bad at judging how good it was.

Same reason Time Reversal was pre-selling at 50 dollars, just backwards.

Yep you have good etiquette. I always announce what I'm grabbing, assuming I need to.

I'm actually building uril at the moment, got any r/w/g goodstuff I should include? So far it looks like the deck wants to go wide, drop Uril, then use lure or taunting elf to swing for maximum overkill. If I'm lucky the turn after Uril comes out I should be able to give him all sorts of goodstuff and the deck has an enchantment subtheme.

I'll be honest, I have no real idea. Gift of Immortality is a good one, I think. I think the best way to go is just Uril+Enchantments and go nuts, that's what he's designed for.

Hope your opponent doesn't have Natures Reclamation (or whatever the "destroy all enchanments" card it).

Make it an enchantment deck and just grind value.

So what is everyone's "ideal" number of players? I prefer 4, but I'm fine with 5. I don't really like 2 (but that's because my group is multiplayer focused, so the decks tend to either blow out or GET blown out in 1v1 a little too much), I absolutely hate starting a game with 3 people, and I won't do 6 or more because it takes too long.

I'm happiest with 4. 2's too few, 6 is too much.

I have two people who are almost always around to play with, one guy who doesn't play much magic and doesn't have his own deck, and a few people who show up once in a while for bigger games. One of the first two has sort of gone off the grid, and I'm starting to get a little worried.

Yeah, same. 4 is my happiest point, but I'll let a 5th in without much fuss. 2 is too few, 3 turns into 2v1 within 10 minutes every fucking time, and 6+ is just unwieldy. The games take forever, you pretty much HAVE to use limited range of influence or you'll get your shit randomly board wiped by the guy 3 seats away from you. Plus, even discounting how long the games themselves take, it takes for-fucking-ever for your turn to wheel back around.

Wrote up a shitty Melek decklist since I'm probably gonna try getting a friend or two into Commander and MtG in general and was thinking of picking up the Mizzix precon as a way to balance things out. Despite that I'm still probably gonna build Selvala, Karrthus, or Marcheesi next

If those are supposed to be STAND names, you could do better.

Who said anything about it being Stands?

>dream halls on board
>Nekusar out with psychosis crawler
>wheel and deal for everyone out in one turn

I'm loving this commander so far. Why do you guys hate this guy, again?

The Nekusar player is the only one at the table having fun.

okay which motherfucker started this anime deck name bullshit

1) Every Nekusar deck that has ever existed is the same fucking deck. I'd say there's a maximum of like 10 cards different between any two given Nekusar decks that I've seen, and I've seen literally dozens.

2) It's hard to interact with because the wheels make it difficult to plan ahead. You know you're not untapping with any of the cards in your hand, so it basically becomes a game of "tap out for big dumb shit".

3) Ties into 1, Nekusar kinda... builds himself. No shit you're gonna put in fifty wheel effects and all the Howling Mines and Mikokoros and Underworld Dreams. It's just a deck full of redundancies so it plays the same every time, but people think they're so clever for building it. Like wow yeah, you're such a hardcore super-secret-tech builder, putting Pyschosis Crawler in a deck with 20 wheel spells.

Where's Running In The 90s?

gA

Nearly everyone plays blue at my meta, so no one has fun anyway.
I like my edh decks like I like my edh decks: a concise game plan that has an achievable goal besides "big, trampley creatures" or pillowfort for 2 hours

I would love some feedback on my Riku deck, I am still going through and tweaking when I play but I think having a bunch of people look at it could help more.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/riku-the-conductor-of-the-value-train/.

Which is reasonable. I'm not condemning you for that.

But you asked why people hate Nekusar, and I told you.

I got mine for $12 and it is the sex.

tfw your deck curves out into a t5 hard lock win
>t1 land Faithless
>t2 Slobad
>T3 Trinisphere
>T4 Thran Dynamo Scultping Steel Dynamo
>T5 Wildfire then Lodestone Golem

I also wasn't trying to come off as defensive, I just have nothing better to do and keeping a dialogue open is fun.

On that note, is there any way to build this guy besides that? I could try a stax version and go for a more grindy setup

>tfw lodestone golem + trinisphere doesn't make everything cost 4
why live

Wanting to try something new and build new Odric, any suggestions welcome. Was the Darien player from a week or so ago. That didn't work because my mets are faggots and only fort then swing for lethal

Pic for those too lazy to google

infect