Cool Fantasy/Sci-Fi Scripts

What nice and developed fantastic scripts there are that one could use? Doesn't really need a working conlang behind them, just a nice script, that look cohesive and neat. Just something that I can write English words in, so it looks fantastic enough and can even be deciphered, if that ever becomes a plot point.

I know there are Tengwar, Cirth, Klingon, Star Wars and Cyrrodilic scripts, but what others?

Also, fantasy languages thread, why not.

Other urls found in this thread:

at.mansbjorkman.net/sarati_phonetic.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=5GFW-eEWXlc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There are countless actual historical languages you can use. Go by setting and find an obscure tongue from an associated culture.

>an associated culture

I give bonus points for people who get rid of this part.

Scripts ain't got no nationality.

True. They have a culture.

Not even a culture.

They are lines we associate meaning to.

Pattern of though shapes language and language shapes script. Few things are as intimately interwoven as those 3. The written word is the primary multiplier for culture throughout history. Separating them is pure autism and leads to a less and less coherent game world.

That's fine for puzzles, but if you're building a campaign world then dissonances like an out of place alphabet tell a story. Ignore it at your own peril.

Your post is lines devoid of meaning.

I suspect a mythical mad Arab

Tsolyáni from MAR Barker's Tékumel is gorgeous in a bizarre way, but not really usable.

> Separating them

Separate? Nah dude, you place script with a different culture all you are doing is re-arranging things. The pieces of humanity are extremely interchangeable, on account of all of us being human.

Sure.

I've always wanted to use the Dale runes. They can be carved into wood or stone, as well as written on paper.

I won't get into nature v nurture with you.
I also imagine you to be a last word obsessive, so let's see it...

I'm a fan of writing where the text is laid out in weird shapes, not just lines.

Also works for maps

Warframe has some cool ones.

If you like tengwar, look up sarati. It was a sort of proto-tengwar Tolkien developed, and had some funky writing styles. And a fuckload of letters.
at.mansbjorkman.net/sarati_phonetic.htm

I've always loved Ogham inspired scripts. Anyone got more?

Get glagolitic alphabet. You can use it as bootleg dwarf runes or something.

bump

Fuck it, I'll start dumping my collections in the hopes that other people will too.

Here's the basic Draconic.

Ar Ciela, from Ar Tonelico.

A simple Galifreyan how to.

Unitology, ala Dead Space.

Relatively certain this next oine is Klingon.

Daedric, of the Deadric Princes, from Elder Scrolls.

This is the witch's alphabet from Madoka Magica.

Aurebesh, also known as Galactic Basic from Star Wars.

The Sith language

Norse Runes, though I think these might be modified somewhat.

Dragon Script, from Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

Al Bhed, from Final Fantasy X.

Ancient Hylian, from Zelda: Wind Waker. Unfortunately, it only translates into Japanese Hirigana.

The Eorzan Alphabet, from Final Fantasy XIV.

Vesperian, from Tales of Vesperia.

uh, excuse you. that is Atlantian.

I totally thought this was going to be a thread filled with links to good fonts.

Yevon, alphabet of the Aeons from Final Fantasy X.

Yiddish, because it looks funky, and who knows, you might need it to impress a nice jewish girl/guy.

This... I have no idea what this is. It looks like it was done in PAINT, regardless.

Ah, you are indeed correct. My bad. I was watching the damn film the other day and everything.

This is Norse Runes in a fortune telling context. More symbol than actual language, but I'm running out of stuff.

District 9 Prawn

There are font making programs which you can use to make your own script or edit an existing ones. They even have context sensitive signs so that you can use non-alphabet writing systems.

Some of the game of thrones languages have scripts, look up David Peterson. The guy actually managed to become a professional conlanger, which must be the nerdiest job after elf sex expert.

Personally, I've invented a few scripts for fun and execise during my linguistic study, but I have none at hand right now.
Also did a simple script for my new job. Working in IT I need a lot of passwords, and having them on paper is more secure and convienient for overview.

Of course if you do such a thing all passwords you write down will be burned into your memory forever, making the script pointless. Only did it to slack off during work anyway.

You wouldn't happen to have any links or names to these programs, would you?

Fookin' prawns

That's just bizarre.
Have some hobo runes.

That looks far too complex to ever actually write.

I see your hobo runes, and I counter with SCP hobo runes.

Check out omniglot.com

The alien language bits in arrival's trailer look like this, seemed like a great take

Yautja language

>sucker
Tehehe

Font Forge, Fontlab, Glyphr, there are others.

I think most of them cost money for full functionality.

If you just want to make images with your script, you can also just use any vector program like inkscape.

youtube.com/watch?v=5GFW-eEWXlc

Huh. Thanks dude, I think I'll give 'em a looksee.

Well, there goes an hour of my day.

Just remembered this thanks to , .

It's basicly hobo signs for a post apocalytic setting I made based on the molemen of /k/ when we had two threads back in like May.

My favorite word is now 'be'.

Stuff like this would be cool for an OSR dungeon crawl. Got any more?

Ah yes, Unnaground. I hear the vacationing sights are just amazing.

Just that one and this one.

Indeed they are. The holy gardens - or grave trees depending on your view - of Remanea, the mound fortresses of Naground and the countless little chapels along Pilgrim's Path.
My, the other day I met some bubba hunters that told me they came via chain road that went over the great lake. A bunch of crazy guys are those builders in the League, just building stuff bout ground.

I'm about 3000 words into faction relations , like 10 out 80 entries. Once work gets a bit less stressfull I'm gonna psuh through this and upload here.

Oh shit, you're still working on it? Hell yeah.

>"they are lines we associate meaning to"
>somehow this proves they have no culture, which is itself a collective group of meanings

Alphabet of the Magi
(Hebrew for comparison)

WHY CAN'T I STOP WATCHING THIS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Realworld English alternatives are pretty neat

Probably not practical for the players to decipher them though

Fucking Mormons, man.

What's the matter? They not teach "Reformed Egyptian" were your from? ;^)

"If you don't know, just make shit up." -Ancient Egyptian proverb

Very cuniform.

I came here to post this. You're a good guy, Tenno.

Vulcan calligraphy is nice.

This is all nonsense neo-pagan nonsense. We know essentially nothing of what the Elder Fuþark runes meant.

>be a gun nut with a vicious dog in similarly-minded neighborhood within a block of police station that dislikes hobos
>draw all the benevolent hobo runes on your fence so the suckers come and get some

...wut?

>be a gun nut with a vicious dog
>ATF's face when

lol pure liberalism

Bumping with Matoran alphabet from Bionicle.

do 12+ numericals just add another circle in the centre or they start combining at some point?

They're digits, so I'd guess that you have a 1 and a 2 next to each other, and then you have 12. Or 21.

I think they just work like Arabic numbers. There is no distinct symbol for 12, you just put "1" and "2" next to each other, in decimal system.

Quite a shame come to think of it, because the symbols really look like they should extend further, perhaps forming a duodecimal system, instead of decimal.

huh? they ain't duodecimal? i just thought that the artist omitted 10-11 simply out of habit

Yeah, from what I remember in Bionicle games, comics etc. the numbers where written in decimal system.

then again, no one forbids me to use them as duodecimal system if i so desire, if i use it outside bionicle universe

Certainly, especially that they design would make more sense that way.

ningiuq igluqaqatiqaqłuni irngutaminik qarmami nirutuluanngittumi. qatanngutiqanginnirmingnut ajuqsaqtummariullutik. amisuunngittunut inungnut qaqiarijaunnginnirmingnut nattirmik niqitaaqtitauvakłuni qulliatalu uqsuksanganik tunijauvakkilluni. ullurivaktangatta ilanganni kaaktummariulilauqtut. kaaluarnikumut nukappiakuluk qialiqłuni.

ᖃᓪᓗᐱᓪᓗᐃᑦ
ᓂᖏᐅᖅ ᐃᒡᓗᖃᖃᑎᖃᖅᖢᓂ ᐃᕐᖑᑕᒥᓂᒃ ᖃᕐᒪᒥ ᓂᕈᑐᓗᐊᙱᑦᑐᒥ. ᖃᑕᙳᑎᖃᖏᓐᓂᕐᒥᖕᓄᑦ ᐊᔪᖅᓴᖅᑐᒻᒪᕆᐅᓪᓗᑎᒃ. ᐊᒥᓲᙱᑦᑐᓄᑦ ᐃᓄᖕᓄᑦ ᖃᕿᐊᕆᔭᐅᙱᓐᓂᕐᒥᖕᓄᑦ ᓇᑦᑎᕐᒥᒃ ᓂᕿᑖᖅᑎᑕᐅᕙᒃᖢᓂ ᖁᓪᓕᐊᑕᓗ ᐅᖅᓱᒃᓴᖓᓂᒃ ᑐᓂᔭᐅᕙᒃᑭᓪᓗᓂ. ᐅᓪᓗᕆᕙᒃᑕᖓᑦᑕ ᐃᓚᖓᓐᓂ ᑳᒃᑐᒻᒪᕆᐅᓕᓚᐅᖅᑐᑦ. ᑳᓗᐊᕐᓂᑯᒧᑦ ᓄᑲᑉᐱᐊᑯᓗᒃ ᕿᐊᓕᖅᖢᓂ. ᐊᓈᓈᑦᑎᐊᖓᑕ ᓂᐱᖃᖁᙱᖦᖢᓂᐅᒃ, ᑭᓯᐊᓂᓕ ᑐᓵᙱᓴᖅᑕᐅᓂᕐᒥᓄᑦ ᐊᓈᓈᑦᑎᐊᖓ ᓂᙵᒃᑲᒥ ᖃᓪᓗᐱᓪᓗᖕᒧᑦ ᐊᐃᔭᐅᖁᓕᖅᖢᓂᐅᒃ ᐊᐅᓪᓚᕈᑎᔭᐅᓂᐊᕐᒪᑦ. ᑕᕝᕙᐃᓐᓇᓗ ᖃᓪᓗᐱᓪᓗᒃ ᐅᐸᑲᐅᑎᒋᖕᒪᑦ ᐊᓈᓈᑦᑎᐊᖓᑕ ᐃᕐᖑᑕᑯᓗᖕᓂ ᐊᒪᖅᑕᐅᑎᒃᑲᒥᐅᒃ ᑕᑯᒃᓴᐅᔪᓐᓃᑲᐅᑎᒋᓪᓗᑎᒃ. ᖃᖓᙳᖅᑎᓪᓗᒍ ᐃᓅᖃᑎᖏᑦ ᓇᑦᑎᑲᑕᑦᑎᐊᓕᕋᒥᒃ ᓂᕿᖃᑦᑎᐊᓕᖅᖢᑎᒃ. ᓂᖏᐅᕐᓗ ᐅᒡᒍᐊᓕᖅᖢᓂ ᐃᕐᖑᑕᑯᓗᓂ ᐊᒪᖅᑕᐅᑎᓚᐅᕋᒥᐅᒃ ᓇᒡᓕᒋᙱᑕᒥᑎᑐᑦ ᐅᑎᖁᓕᕋᓗᐊᖅᖢᓂᐅᒡᓗ. ᐃᓅᖃᑎᒥᓄᑦ ᓂᓪᓕᐅᓯᕇᓐᓇᓕᕐᒪᒍ ᐊᓱᐃᓛᑕᐃᓐᓇᕐᓕ ᑕᕝᕙ ᓄᓕᐊᕇᒃ ᐃᑲᔪᕐᓂᐊᕐᓂᕋᓕᖅᖢᑎᒃ. ᓗᐱᓪᓗᖕᒧᑦ ᐊᐃᔭᐅᖁᓕᖅᖢᓂᐅᒃ ᐊᐅᓪᓚᕈᑎᔭᐅ

welcome to the arctic, boyo