Ideas for Creature Hybrids

In my current campaign I'm playing a wizard trying to create magical hybrids. I need some ideas. If you could take any two creature- mundane or magical, and create a hybrid of them, what two creatures would you combine? Also, what are some creatures with useful/interesting abilities or characteristics that could be interesting to see passed on to a half breed? i.e., a doppleganger's ability to polymorph & detect thoughts, or the Trance feature of the high elf race in 5e.

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencealert.com/water-bears-turn-into-glass-when-they-dry-out
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_Creatures
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You know how they say owlbears are the misbegotten results of a mad wizard's attempts at creating the perfect guardbeast?

You could one up him. You could create the owlpangolin. All the silent agility and flight capabilities of an owl, all the impenetrable armor and long tongue of a pangolin. Think about it; this thing would be fucking invincible.

bump

Gorilla with a crocodile head, but make its scales cover the gorillas body too for armour

Foxsquirrels. They fill the role of raccoons.
I'm lurking in this thread to find combo creatures created by a crazy Keeper of Deformity a couple hundred years ago. Only a few varieties are still left.

>Drowsplacer
A tauric creature with the body of a Displacer Beast and the torso of a Drow. It's also insane.

>Boarilla
These horrors resemble a gorilla with the head and tail of a wild boar. They are extremely aggressive and will eat ANYTHING they can reach.

>Strix
Harpy/Stirge hybrids. Semi-intelligent (2-4), they use their captivating song to immobilize prey then suck their blood with their proboscis-like tongues.

Great Dane and a human baby, the body of the dog with the face and hands of a human child, it cries constantly and crawls/ bounds towards you

>Mantaur
A centaur with the lower body of a man on all fours

>Centotaur
A minotaur with the torso of a centaur for a head

>Manotaur
The body of a man, with the head of a giant man-eating human

>Drowsplacer and not Drisplider

always loved pic related

CAT-SQUID

What is this from?

a great third party book- bastards & bloodlines: a guidebook to halfbreeds by green ronin
heres another gem from it

also worth checking out is encyclopedia arcane crossbreeding: flesh and blood.
its got stuff like pic related

Amazing, thank you

These are pretty great!

happy breeding anons. both books should be pretty easy to find on google

>If you could take any two creature- mundane or magical, and create a hybrid of them, what two creatures would you combine?
Owls and Bears. I call them: Owlbears.

You can't use that idea though OP, it's mine.

Definitely plan on using Mantaurs.

Also, anyone have the picture of that gorilla-centaur hybrid?

Only crazy creature I've ever used is the Undead Sharkenbear.

That's an awesome idea. Is that your art too?

These give me an idea.
>Generic, multiracial adventuring party rolls into town
>Fuck all the bitches
>Bitches get knocked up
>Bitches all give birth at about the same time
>Resultant bastards bond over their shared origins
>They go adventuring to find their dads

A kitten and a python of course.

Yes. Definitely. Do not research further into this statement's accuracy.

love it, i may use that at some point myself
have another favorite of mine from those books

An old timey favorite, i updated him to 5e and convinced my DM to let me use him as a warlock familiar

Take creatures that are just mash-ups of animals or magical animals and use specises of those animals not ussually used to make them i.e. a Griffin that is a Snow Owl and a Siberian Tiger, a Chimera that is a Cheetah, with a Gazzelle middle and a Cobra tail.

speaking of chimeras

Water bear and Hippo.

Build a moat around your wizard tower.

Never be fucked with because you have a giant 8 legged hippo with a face made of teeth who has DR our the ass because it forms glass armor reactively to any attack swimming around.

>save vs. poison or die the next round
Jesus Christ, at least when I poison my players I give them a few days to say their goodbyes or find a cure.

What's the environment you're in?

Do you have access to all the real worlds animals? or those native to specific geographical regions?

Thinking something like a bearrhino maybe.
Claws and jaw of the bear, but a horn and thick skin of the rhino.

yeeaaa thats not a trait i carried over to the 5e version

A baboon and a potato.

spider+bird
snake+bird
snail+bird

What? Glass armor? I just read the wikipedia page on tardigrades and it doesn't say anything about that. Are you making that up?

1. Bearcats are real animals
2. My university has a bearcat for a mascot (It's not that school)

1. I know this.
2. It's not my university either.
3. A bear-cat hybrid would still be dope.

Yeah it would be. You know what, I'm sticking bear-cats in my setting now.

Dragon and a Hydra.

Cassoary + Porcupine
Pangolin + Badger
Komodo dragon + Boar
Rhino + Hercules Beetle
Bombardier Beetle + Mouse
Goose + Honey Badger

sciencealert.com/water-bears-turn-into-glass-when-they-dry-out

Huh.

Oh yeah! My friend made up the Nemean hydracore a few years ago. It's a combination between a Nemean lion, a manticore, and a hydra. You have to kill it by choking all of its heads at once. While it's stinging and biting you.

Here's a classic.

wolf spiders
head of wolf, body of a spider.
big as a boar

>Goose + Honey Badger
Jesus Christ why user

>Goose + Honey Badger
that shit would beat the fuck out of a red dragon without even blinking

also heres another old favorite

>I'm playing a wizard trying to create magical hybrids
I think the word is chimera. I like the idea of a wizard grinding up dinosaurs bones and putting the powder in modern bird eggs to create a half modern-bird half dinosaur chimera.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_Creatures

Should be required gaming for biomancers.

Sadly the gameplay and 90% of combinations are shit.
I so wanted this game to be a thing.

ha i remember this game
it was shit like this user said but it was still kind of fun mixing creatures

Jade Cocoon did fusing creatures together much better but as an RPG instead of RTS.
You capture monsters that you can level up and fuse together. The first monster in the fusion is the base and the other is the skin, but they share the elemental typing of both.
I really wish the sequel was more true to the original.