/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General

In Gloriam Mechanicus Edition

Share the tale of all the awesome inventions (tech-heresy or not) and discoveries you made, as well as the enemies of the Omnissiah you have slain.

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), Veeky Forums made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Mars Needs Women! Rampage of the Nerds! (V1.0.0), a new Veeky Forums made Only War supplement for playing as Skitarii, Cult Mechanicus, and joyriding an Ordinatus!
mediafire.com/?irijme05vbks7q4

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

drivethrurpg.com/product/123026/Rogue-Trader-Faith-and-Coin?filters=0_0_44242_0_0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Does anybody know if the Cinerus Maleficum has been expanded upon in Rogue Trader? I'm trying to homebrew a region to be recently "discovered," and I want it to be both "accurate" to existing material and completely unique. I haven't found anything in any of the supplements, but I may have missed it.

>group has a Librarian, Apothecary and Tactical Marine

Should I be an Assault marine or Devastator?

>Not engaging in glorious Close Combat for the Emperor
That''s fucking heresy user you already know the answer

True. Devastators seem potentially very OP even with the Righteous Fury errata. I guess if you pick them off early or force them into melee, but still..

Assault marine, close combat is more fun than you think.

Devistator is just extra dice.

I have a bunch of friends who know almost nothing about 40k and I want to run them through OW so I can have their mission briefing say stuff like "as you all know, orks are a weak and cowardly lot" and they believe it.
Is this bad?

No, it is perfectly in-character. To prove it to them, show them a copy of the Uplifting Primer.

Has fantasy flight stopped deving 40k RP? I haven't seen any news about new stuff since January.

Gotta get that sweet star wars money

Yeah, there's no more official 40kRPG books. The only books coming out now are the ones Veeky Forums and Shas makes.

Won't they be skull fucked the moment a Horde shows up? You kind of NEED devastators.

>Not frenzying and going full RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS with dual chainaxes to decimate hordes

So do you guys watch people playing 40k on twitch/youtube?

Geedubs had no chance against the Great Mouse.

I wish FFG would at least do reprints. I prefer physical copies to pdfs but fucking Rites of Battle for instance is $70 on Amazon

Nah I play either Rouge Trader or Only War every weekend so my need is sated.

so what all has everyone been running lately?

I do, for battle reports. Dies anyone record or live stream their 40k rpg sessions?

LOL yeah, it's running for that much at used bookstores. Very annoying.

what's the best way to use tyranids in these?

In either a Deathwatch game or in a chaos space marine Black Crusade party.

but not against only war or DH2e dudes?

If you play them straight, only a regiment with a vehicle and up stands a chance. Genestealers and lictors for DH2e are already near tpk material.

I've had success using nids against RT players, but they had carapace, bolters, plasma, and several dozen armsmen providing human shields and cover fire. And even then they made a beeline for the heavy power armor with auto-stabilized heavy bolters ASAP.

So basically fighting like space marines.

Space marines with a protective bubble of armsmen, yes.

Did you ever throw one of the bigger nids at them like a carniflex or a zonathrope?

No, it was a rogue infestation of an Ecclesiarchy treasure ship that had washed up at a breaker yard. They got a deal that boiled down to "This ship has bad juju inside. You go in and clean it out, you get to keep a discreet amount of the shit you find inside, we give it back to the Ecclesiarchy, backrubs all around."
Then they went in and found the place was full of Gaunts, Rippers, Lictors, Warriors, and Warrior Primes, plus an absolutely awful and disgusting birthing-nest snuggled up to the plasma reactor, which got purged with extreme prejudice (Read: Fire, then emergency plasma venting). Turns out it had managed to survive a tentacle brush from a hive vessel but had gotten infested, this went unnoticed until they entered warp, the basic plot of Alien happened, ship goes adrift in the warp with the Gellar field still on, ends up re-translating in the cursed breaker yard system where this exact shit happens way too much for comfort.

You wouldn't happen to have a set of homebrew genestealer hybrid rules lying around would you?

Genestealers are in 2e already. Just ctrl+F 'brood' in Enemies Without.

Yes, I know I'm looking if anyone has made Hybrids rules to use for a Genestealer Cult, I haven't had any trouble finding rules for the Xenos themselves

The rules for the Goleph are strange. It says Unnatural Agility under traits, but it doesn't have a multiplier or any number along the statline that indicates it has a different agility bonus. What gives?

Assuming those are the ones from Radical's Handbook,
meaning the underlying system is DH 1,
meaning it's most likely Unnatural Agility (x2)

What are your favorite ways to handle allies/minions/subordinates?

If they're generic mooks, they get a generic "Armsman", "Guardsman", or "Stormtrooper" statblock and an appropriate redshirt name.

If they're someone actually important in some way, they may get a full statblock or just "Roll so and so tasks at TN X". Players may get to control them if they need a backup character for a scene or session.

I'm working on altering or messing with the Minion creation system from BC so that it can make real people and things instead of these "literally can't function outside of their one focus" minions the system makes now. really it's just significantly upping the characteristic allotment and possibly upping the characteristic ceiling a bit for the stronger teirs, as well as specific allowances of "you can straight up use xyz npc profile if it fits x criteria, or with slight modification if it meets y criteria"

Lorewise, is there anything which states abhumans can't express psychic potential?
Say I was making a Rating world for my Rogue Trader group to discover, is there any reason the Queen couldn't be a psyker who overthrew the ancestral rulers?
Trying to create a pro-Imperium faction, or Imperium sympathetic faction on the planet, and a group of angry Psyker-haters who want a revolution and are happy to accept offworlder help sounds pretty good to me.

i suppose i should bump this so it doesn't fall off completely

Has anyone home brewed up some of the new(ish) mechanicum stuff from the skitarii or the cult mechanicus like the Kastelans? Seeing as new books are kill and all.

Check Mars need Women on the OP

Can't belive I missed that, was looking in the homebrew folder like an idiot. My thanks exactly what I needed :)

Played Dark Heresy for the first time today, ended up being a tech priest. I know nothing about the lore or system, what do I need to know?

I've been in your shoes once. Hoo boy... Being a Techpriest is a lot of baggage.

At its very basics, the Cult Mechanicus pursues knowledge. However, they believe that mankind has already discovered everything worth discovering during the Golden Age, and thus reclaiming THEIR knowledge and inventions is far superior to inventing anything for yourself... Hence the existing patterns of any technology are sacred, hailing from the distant past, and tinkering, modifying and in general mucking with them is sacrilegious. There are ritualised methods to maintaining and using any piece of tech, and using them in any other manner is, at the very least disrespectful to the machine spirits, and, at worst, heretical.

Machine spirits, you may ask? Of course! All machines (except for, of course, the forbidden Abominable Intelligences and dreaded Xenos-tech) possess a Machine Spirit, which can be appeased with maintenance, prayer, incense, and a general respectful demeanour shown towards the item in question. Even the lowliest peashooter possesses a machine spirit, but the more ancient and advanced the technology in question, the more venerable and quirky the machine spirit within - in other words, ancient and advanced works of technology have a sort of mind of their own due to advanced micro-cogitation systems, but to the Mechanicus' dogma, so long as it ain't an Abominable Intelligence, anything from the quirks of a piece of workshop equipment to the autonomous decisions of an ancient Battleship is the work of Machine Spirits.

Since you start as a lowly techpriest, you know little about the scientific principles that make anything work. You are told that It Just Works(tm) and doing X and Y ritual will appease the machine spirits, ensuring optimal operation. You may also be abel to take apart and put back together things, without having any idea what their parts do. You'll however learn actual science as you climb the ranks.

A lot to get into, damn. Haha. These are things I'll definitely be looking up, machine spirits especially... Such a strange system. But I love it? I'm excited to see how my lowly techpriest evolves.

Screenshotted so sober me can use this for referral

Just beware of the cover image.

Guise. You need to help me, please. I'll be running several games in wh40k rpgs but I need shit ton of maps, handouts and tokens for roll 20. Also some advice is needed, if someone is bored or up to helpin me - much apprieciated.

My rogue trade group has reached end game so its getting hard to scare em. Luckily they have several fate points. I want to burn said fate points. What some good things that could instant kill a PC but still be avoidable and in turn killable by end game characters. Im guessing greater demons and demon princes but what else?

Why do you want to force them to? Throw them against impossible odds.

I always feel like a dick if I just go "ya dead!" and they had no real chance, so a slim chance would be better.

Make them go into necron tomb.

Just started DMing DH 1st edition a couple of days ago.

I never believed the whole "you will never expect what your players will do" schtick until now.

Just one example of their shenanigans:
>Group of 3 guardsman, one assassin, one techpriest, and one psyker are to meet up with a planetary governor
>They're dropped at a star port opposite the governor's palace; it's a straight shot directly forward
>Instead of walking like normal people, they just fucking jog
>a group of heavily armed asshats jogging in the middle of the street
>whenever somebody stops them they just fucking flash inquisitorial badges and keep running
>It comes to a point where they're just running with them continually held out
>They get stopped by one trooper, finally
>He ends up with his face melted off even after being KO'd
>They leave him there in the street
>And just run into the distance...

Emperor bless

Thats why subtelty should mean something.

What are some ship building tips for Rogue Trader? We are using the Mathhammer re-balancing (+12 damage to macrocannons, but no salvos)

What would you say is the best ship in each class?

Any ways to make ship combat in Rogue Trader interesting for characters that don't have the typical skills for it?

I have a RT as a pilot, a Void Master as a gunner, and an Explorator for technical stuff. I also have an Arch Militant, Navigator, and Seneschal who twiddle their thumbs.

The Seneschal in particular feels useless and hates ship combat.

Have them defend a boarding action maybe? Ship combatants focus on enemy fleet, the rest mop up intruders?

My advice: Decide early what you want the ship to be doing and build towards that. Do you want to be a lumbering trade vessel carrying enough goods to crash a major economy? A short-range ambush predator raider? A "fuck this planet in particular" invasion cruiser? A super long range deep space explorerer ship? Decide your ship's role early and build towards that purpose. You simply do not have the points to build for every contingency, so specialize. Mathhammer makes armor very nice, so consider taking a zippy Raider and slapping on extra armor and excessive armor to make a moderate speed, heavily armed and armored combatant.
Also, if you have access to Archeotech components, modify the engines, every fucking time. 2 SP for 4 Space and 1 Speed is an amazing trade, never ever pass it up.

Navis Primer gives you some shit to fuck in space with your nav, like emergency jumps and jamming the enemy.

Seneschal should be at the scanners detecting positronic radiation from the enemy ship and/or menacing the crew with a lash depends if he is more a bookworm or a quartermaster

Arch Militant could be the gunner if he is not hit and running, VM can pilot and the RT could be more a "leader", hamming orders and buffing the entire thing.

More like hearsay

That's a good idea. Would you run that as a side combat or as a series of narrative checks?

Also great ideas, especially for the Arch Militant. I don't think some of them have fully explored their options.

Side combat. If you wanted to make the Seneschal feel like a badass, let the enemies board through perhaps a maintenance bay, where he or she could funnel them to make them easier targets for one person.

So I have a plot. The problem is that I am unsure of what 40k system to house it within. My best guess would be Only War as the players would be Schola Progenum students that get conscripted into a real war effort as the world they are on erupts into messy civil war where neither side has sprouted horns nor painted their gear with blood and rust. The problem is that I am tempted to use Dark Heresy given that I am keen on mixing the players up in the intrigue of why this war is happening and how its actually the result of multiple levels of schemes all bouncing off of each other.

I'm going to spell out the plot here for feedback. There once was an Astartes world that was only ever ruled from afar. Eventually the regime that supposedly ran the planet for the Astartes realized that the Astartes weren't really looking closely at what they were doing at all. This regime tries to take advantage of the fact that there are no Imperial tithes by rapidly industrializing this world so that it becomes a center of industry and commerce in their region of space and make them filthy rich. Eventually they realize that perhaps stunting the flow of recruits to the Astartes would be a bad idea so they purchase some illicit technologies and hire the services of black market Genators to do some fiddling to make sure they produce boys worth sending to war. Lo and behold, a few of them discover a gene already present within a few individuals of an ethnicity that makes up the current regime that guarantees they will survive the implantation of gene-seed. People in power rejoice. They have a means of producing recruits without resulting to covert genetic engineering! They just need to institute a pogrom of eugenics and ethnic cleansing to make sure that the right people replace the wrong people. They do so and marginalize all other people on the planet and for a while they were very happy.

Time goes on and the world is pretty much run like your standard Imperial world. Other Imperial institutions get invited where they do not belong and some accept. This is why there is a Schola Progenum academy on this world. The church simply cannot resist gaining influence where they do not belong. Unfortunately, terrorists successfully assassinate the planet's steward and every liberation front, ethnic state, traditionalist rebel, progressive rebel and religious sect with a bone to pick seize their opportunity to use violence and everything goes to shit. The players as students will be conscripted to fight for the current regime but I want to push the idea that perhaps the Astartes not punishing the current regime is not silent approval of the changes the planet has undergone and that perhaps rebellion would not be against the Imperium but against those who rule falsely.

Turns out, this is the result of two other factions plotting against each other. Those off-world heretek genators actually had some mortal disciples of the venerable Fabius Bile in their ranks. This trait that ensures that they will not reject the gene-seed is artificial and a trap as well. Turns out that there are literal incantations to the dark gods jumbled up in that gene that need to be activated by sorcery to reorder themselves into a spell that wracks the body with unholy but very controlled mutation. It deliberately targets the gene-seed and warps it into what I am tentatively calling 'ambulatory gene-seed'.

It turns the organ into an independent organism capable of locomotion. Its also a parasite. Any Astartes that are carriers of this gene will find their flesh rebel against them at a signal and their own gene-seed tear off their head with new razored appendages to scuttle off and implant themselves into the spine of an unaugmented human. They influence the brains of these humans and warp them into post-human soldiers. This New Breed are inferior to Astartes in just about every way except logistics as they can turn a population of the most devout fanatics into disciples of the Dark Gods and a population of the softest weaklings into a fighting force that are individually stronger than the Astra Millitarum. These devotees of Bile dared not stand in the way of his long-standing ambition to equal and eventually surpass the Emperor's own efforts in creating the perfect post-human killers. They wanted to pursue an alternate direction so as not to earn their master's ire.

On the other side of the coin are the Eldar of a minor Craftworld. Their seers have seen the birth of this New Breed and they cannot allow it to come to pass. Humans are already malleable enough in the hands of the ruinous powers. Their only solace is that individually humans are pathetic, verminous and worthy of contempt. Should this come to pass it could tip the scales in an unfavorable direction. They assassinated the world's Astartes appointed steward. They manipulated every malcontent to rise up on this world at once. They do so to present this Chapter of Astartes with a scenario they cannot ignore. They have been especially hands off these past few centuries because they had almost all been away on Crusade. They have earned many accolades with peers in other Chapters and so they would bring many compatriots with them to pacify their world swiftly. The Eldar wish to use this fact to guide the agents of Bile to act thusly:

The Astartes do not know about the nature of why the people of this world are so compatible with the gene-seed. The Astartes can be tricked into believing this a plot to destroy this world because of how many potential candidates to recruit. One in every hundred boys could become an Astartes here given the chance. If the war on this planet rages on indefinitely, the Astartes who rule this world will begin replacing their losses from the world's population. There are more than enough potential recruits to refill the ranks of the compatriot Chapters that come as well. The forces of Chaos could wipe out many thousands of loyalist marines and create a large pool of New Breed soldiers with a single operation.

The Eldar desire for this to happen because it forces the pawns of Chaos to commit many resources for deployment on this world as well. The Astartes will never surrender. The forces of Chaos will believe the longer the conflict continues the greater the reward will be. Both will over-commit to the planet while the Eldar set up a means to destroy all life from the surface of the planet while they are weak once the Eldar fleet arrives in earnest. This would prevent a dangerous tool from coming to the hands of the Great Enemy as well as slay many soldiers loyal to the Dark Gods and the God-Emperor.

So, what do you think? Too convoluted? I had hoped for the campaign to last entirely on this one world. There's more than enough content to reach the high tier from the bottom rung.

Is there much in the way of tile sets and pre-made maps for digital gaming? I'm a map making gm and wondered if there was more than the Roll 20 Googleables for 40k?

In our rogue trader session, my players just found a planet floating in space. On the surface, it seems like a forge world. In reality, its a forgotten datacenter created sometime before the emperor's crusades. There is knowledge that could upset the entire galaxy inside that thing. Knowledge that could restore the emperor, fold the galaxy into the warp or awaken all the remaining necron worlds at once. It all depends on what my players intend to do with it, considering one of them is "warp touched". he has secretly started worshiping khorne after a run-in with a chaos-marine detachment.

>my players just found a planet floating in space
As opposed to what, a planet floating in Jello?

Can someone please post a better version of Faith and Coin that isn't a scan? it's been 2 years

Oh yeah, standard 40K plot hook #3

I want a version of the Koronus Bestiary that isn't as corrupt as Abandon.

If you were to run a Black Crusade game where every PC was all aligned to the same god, which would it be easiest to run such a game for and why?

Nurgle.
Chances of backstabbing are lowest.
They all want the same thing.
Nurglite are generally bro-tier to other Nurglites.

>As opposed to what, a planet floating in Jello?

I think he means a Rogue Planet, just hanging in the void completely alone.

drivethrurpg.com/product/123026/Rogue-Trader-Faith-and-Coin?filters=0_0_44242_0_0

Look you guys spend like $300 on minatures every day one of you buy the goddamn pdf and upload it

DH2 question.

>Accurate
>When a character fires a single shot from a single Basic weapon with the Accurate quality while benefitting from the Aim action, the attack inflicts an additional 1d10 damage for every two degrees of success beyond the first (to a maximum of an extra 2d10).
So a pistol (Needle Pistol for example) with Accurate doesn't generate extra damage when Aiming, right?

Correct. There is a talent in Only War that rectifies this, but the only bonus nonbasic weapons get is the additional +10 for aiming.

I think he means not orbiting a sun

>but the only bonus nonbasic weapons get is the additional +10 for aiming.
I feared as much. I guess I have no choice but to go with plasma, again...

A sun made of jello?

Needle weapons are pretty shit anyways.

So what exactly attracts individuals to Nurgle? A sense of kinship and community? Is Nurgle the elderly father figure of the Chaos Gods?

Can't recommend you a system, as I have only played DH1. For the worldbuilding, I like it. I'm light on the lore, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Depends on the wielder. A Needle Rifle does at best what, 3d10+1d10 poison? And Weapon-Tech allows you to add your IB in damage (which is 8 for my character)

Weapon-Tech increases both damage AND penetration by your IB.

Which becomes hilarious when you have a techpriest with a plasma cannon using it.

merely a plasma cannon? think about a multi-laser or the most ridiculous combination by raw, a xenarch death arc

What year in the timeline is DH/RT/DW/etc usually assumed to be at?

815.M41 is the starting date of DH1

Most come to Nurgle in despair

Shame it doesn't covet Las

Oh, interesting, I didn't know they removed that since ascension

Yeah, but what do willing worshipers think they'll get in return? I kind of get it for the other three gods: knowledge, pleasure, bloodshed; all of them satisfy a thirst. What primal thirst do acolytes of Nurgle hope to quench?

Security and certainty.
Sure you look like a a pustulated sack of shit.
But you're stupid fucking hard to kill, and your God actually loves you.

Nurgle might be the most peculiar of the bunch.

Life.

Help, i've made my acolytes too scared and now they refuse to advance without being under the sniper cover of half their party.

how the hell did you do tha?

Give a sitrep then we can probably help you.