Good looking ayyliens

any good looking aliens? Can't seem to find it here. Why do people assume aliens should be ugly? fuck em. Post nice extraterrestrials

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/5784971/how-to-create-a-scientifically-plausible-alien-life-form
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

*tried* to draw some based on the op

they look like pokemons tho

I think it's just people taking the alienness to far. You don't want an alien to look too familiar to a human audience, then they'll just think of it as a mutant Earth animal. It's why features of deep sea animals show up so often in aliens, even when they make no evolutionary sense, because we're land dwellers. And the easiest way to evoke that sense of the foreign is to make a creature ugly as sin, because those traits that we associate with "prettiness" are those that evolution has encouraged us to find desirable in our habitats and fellow inhabitants of those habitats.

>Why do people assume aliens should be ugly?

Because "they should look weird." But this is silly. Beauty is an indicator of health, a product of the interplay between inheritance and geometry. Symmetric features and certain curves are difficult for an organism to develop and maintain and proximity to those forms creates what we call beauty. It's attractive to us because it indicates that the individual is not sickly or inbred.
These shapes and forms are based on math and physics that will be probably very similar on any roughly terrestrial world, so we'd expect aliens to be roughly in the same range of beauty that we see in terran animals.

Aliens with mottled, oozing skin that looks like it's covered in sores are designed by artists specically to elicit a reaction of fear and disgust in sci-fi horror films and such -- no species would normally look like it was covered with malignant infections, not unless it was a dying species.

(The Birrin are a handsome species, IMO. Not gorgeous, but still pleasing to the eye. They are a little bit weird-for-weirdness sake, though, and I'm not fully sold on how justifiable they are from an evolutionary standpoint.)

seems like a very good explanation

Ugh. I'm not inherently opposed to the idea of Yautja having boobs, but considering the way their mouths work...

...hmm. Maybe predators don't grow in those mandibles until much later in life?

This

Imo I think humans, if you think about it, aren't really aesthetic.

they are pretty kewl

how can one draw this with a straight face

Jet force gemini has qt ants

bumparino

if you guys are curious, I'm reading this really cool article io9.gizmodo.com/5784971/how-to-create-a-scientifically-plausible-alien-life-form

even in a low gravity planet there is no way something like this could be alive

Cool article, but it's guilty of meme-ing poor old H.P. Lovecraft:
>Even the great H.P Lovecraft's beloved, unthinkable horrors are commonly depicted as hybrids of six or seven species of arthropod with a squid thrown in.
>Le tentacled horror meme
>mfw

What is a gug? What is a nightgaunt? What is the color out of space? The majority of Lovecraft's many weird beasties don't have tentacles at all, that's just the pop culture flanderisation of Lovecraft talking.

I dunno, it'd be a little inefficient with that exaggerated curve, but I think it'd be feasible. It'd have to be like a peacock's tail, though, a strong maladaptation to show fitness.

40k xenos are technically aliens, and look at them!

nice elves

last bumperino

>peacock's tail

Do you mean a heavy tail?
Like a kangaroo?

The peacock has a huge, beautiful tail as a display to attract the peahen.
This tail has a huge drawback, however, since peafowl are a favored delicacy of tigers, and peacocks can be readily caught by a tiger grabbing their long tails as they trail behind them.
This further proves the survivors' fitness to the females, though, since you have to be a pretty wily and alert peacock to avoid being dinner while still having a magnificent tail.

Is there a difference between 'ugly' and 'uncanny'?

Pretty and weird can definitely coexist. I mean, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, obviously, but that's how I feel.

It's a diplomat who glued a mask to its torsor to make communication easier, I'd assume.

Here's a tacticool snek.

>Specops
>Not snekops

A more pressing matter is how one can into body armor without fingers.

>grey/wolf

So is it a wolf.. Orrrrr?

You tryna say sneks can't be friendly?

>antropomorphic
>boobs
>high heels
shit/10
op said good looking aliens, not alien looking humans