/5eg/ Fifth Edition General - Best Plane Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Thread: Topic starter (and continuation of a discussion from last thread): what is your favorite setting/plane to run a campaign in?

Pic related is mine, too bad my group hates it.

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.rem.uz/Advanced D&D (unsorted)/Setting - Dark Sun Campaign Setting (Revised).pdf
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dark Sun is really easy to figure out; it's basically a fairly pure example of the Dying Earth subgenre, which was popular at the time.

Warlocks are best.

I'm running FGG's Lost Lands setting, myself.

I'd just have a lot of fun making every Sorcerer-King a variation on That Guy. I can't help but want to inject a little comedy.

Eberron because places like Sharn and things like the lighting rails provide great set pieces for action.

I think the creator of Dark Sun left the reasoning/explanation of who/what the Sorcerer-Kings are vague on purpose, so that DMs could bend them into whatever they needed to be. I know some have names and backstory with them, but these are from 2e days.

Personally, I think that one of the kings is one of the gods made physical, to try and salvage/restore the plane back to its former glory. Another is probably a case of "what it says on the tin" in that it is literally a powerful Wizard or Sorcerer who declared himself King and no one could stand up to him because magic. I know one turned into a dragon after throwing some powerful creature into their equivalent of Alcatraz, only to keep said creature in there he needs to make a yearly sacrifice of 1,000 people to keep the prison's magic afloat.

they made an important decision when they made eberron that novels would be non-canon. it prevents the setting from building up lots of shit they need to sort through whenever they decide to make a campaign book.

they also decided that there would be less high-level characters, and many of those characters would be rooted in place. quite literally in the example of the highest-level druid, who is a tree. and the most powerful cleric can't leave her cathedral without losing most of her levels.

i think a lot of the decisions when they made eberron were made deliberately with forgotten realms in mind, responding to some of the common points of criticism.

That's pretty accurate, I feel.

It bothers me, though, because I'd love to run Eberron--but have no time to create my own campaigns to run there. There really isn't any long campaigns that are pre-written, either.

>i think a lot of the decisions when they made eberron were made deliberately with forgotten realms in mind, responding to some of the common points of criticism.

Valid ones too.
It just annoys me how they never seem to be the complaints people most frequently make. It reeks of the "I can't be bothered to check for myself but I heard in Veeky Forums" thought pattern that I find tedious and a little sad.

My Eberron is slowly being populated by the high level characters of my previous campaigns, but 5e has been a blessing for that.

Previously I ran my various campaigns at concurrent times in different places. Now I want to revisit some of the locations of my old campaigns with time moved forward because the high level characters aren't nigh-invincible gods in 5e. Even if they are the strongest individuals, they don't have the same network and resources of major NPCs, so they won't necessarily be in a position to solve all the problems of the current PCs.

One of my favorite ideas for one-shot Eberron stories is to have a courier group from House Orien or House Lyrandar that has to make dangerous deliveries and picks ups.
It's basically Planet Express

Princes of the Apocalypse works well in Eberron. In addition to what PotA actually says about using it in Eberron, Eberron has the Ashbound druid faction who opposes arcane technology. Major things like the lightning rails and airships function due to bound elementals inside crystals.

Magic planet express sounds like it'd be fun as fuck to play.

My question is, how do you stat them? Bender's probably the Rogue, Leela seems like a good Monk expy (do you think bad depth perception is a racial feature?), and the Professor is a high level artificer. What about the rest of them?

So, reading through a wiki article on some of the named Sorcerer-Kings, and this shit is hilarious.

One got his soul shoved into a giant gem, broken, and then had those pieces thrown off Athas (that's the name of the plane Dark Sun is set in) by his high templar and shoved into Ravenloft, which is a pretty lofty feat in and of itself, because Ravenloft is hard to get into as-is. Not to mention the fact that Athas is a dying plane and is hard to Plane Shift into or out of.

Half of the sorcerer-kings also killed off most of the other humanoid races: no orcs, ogres, goblins, gnomes, lizardmen, trolls, and wemics (humanoid lion-headed centaurs). There's little to no mention of Dwarves, hell one of the kings acquired the title of "Butcher of Dwarves" from a prior king that he killed and assumed his power, so it's possible that Dwarves don't exist anymore.

I'd have to go and look, but I think the only playable races from Dark Sun are humans and githyanki. I think there's stats for elves to use too, but considering most people will kill an elf on sight...

Fry is the bard getting by on dumb luck.

Amy is the wizard or perhaps an artificer herself.

Zoidberg is a death cleric who believes he is a life cleric.

>I'd have to go and look, but I think the only playable races from Dark Sun are humans and githyanki.

Dying Earth-style novels rarely have traditional fantasy races, and thus they were very much downplayed in Athas.
The Githyanki show up because the Githyanki show up everywhere except in Dragonlance because they're literally fantasy space pirates.

Does anyone have a statblock for wendigos in 5e?

Amy is the lower leveled apprentice Wizard. which means the professor is just the DMPC Questgiver.

Zoidberg's class is perfect.

Dwarves exist on Athas but they are hairless, illiterate slaves. The Butcher of Dwarves failed in his mission.

Muls exist because dwarves still exist, and they're one of the coolest races.

Halflings are druidic cannibals.

Elves are desert nomads and might also be cannibals.

Fry is a commoner who got time-shifted forward to present-day thanks to magic back when things weren't as advanced. Zoidberg is a bumbling Druid stuck in a weird lobster-humanoid wild shape (which is why he sucks at medicine: crab hands), Hermes is a Wizard (you can't tell me he doesn't use magic to keep that business afloat), Amy is a novice artificer/bard multiclass with rich parents from another continent trying to study under the Professor, only to realize he's crazy.

Zap is a level 2, 6 Int. Fighter who somehow got appointed head of the guard. Kipp is a 4 Con., 20 Dex. level 2 Fighter trying to cover for Zap's mistakes.

IIRC they were all powerful generals back in the mage-wars.

I would really love to run something in Eberron. However, I'm running two games already so I don't have the time.

Someday, though.

>Muls exist because dwarves still exist, and they're one of the coolest races.
Muls are kinda funny, because in some campaign settings duergar are human-crossbreeds (Greyhawk) created by Illithids for more psychic potential, and in FR apparently dwarves and humans CAN interbreed but the result is just a slightly taller then average dwarf.
Which just proves the absolute superiority of dwarven blood over elven blood.

Eberron (haven't yet, but I REALLY want to!) and custom settings. I really want to set a campaign in the world of the Books of Bayern because it has some interesting social structures I would love to explore in a campaign setting, but I'm having difficulty getting the magic consistent (which I may just say "Who cares?", but I'm trying) with bringing 5e over from. My best figuring is to instead take the Sorcerer chassis as the only caster class and just restrict spells to the different forms of "speech", the way magic is used in the setting.

Headcanon'd so hard.

I haven't ever run a game in a setting that wasn't my own creation. Though i suppose if I had to pick one, it would be shadowrun's setting.

If I wasn't stuck DMing for people who refuse to learn anything other than DnD, I would be running shadowrun. Or maybe star wars. Or maybe 40k.

Don't forget, Dark Sun is also the birthplace of the Thri-Kreen and Half-Giant PC races, as well as featuring support for pterodactyl-folk (Pterrans) and Aarakocra (bird-forlk). I'm sure I also heard somewhere something about a race of lizardfolk called Ssurans, and I know 3.5 added elans and maenads.

I've only ever run games in FR-lite settings. Basically my homebrew patterned after FR (generic / heroic fantasy), to whimsical fantasy in the same setting.

I would love to run something gritty / survivalist (Dark Sun I suppose), but I would also love to do something more primitive / ancient.

Also cyberpunk only because I've never done it before.

Don't forget thri-kreen.

What's the fastest we can make a 5e character? I got one up to 1640 feet per round using Boots of Speed, Haste, monk/barb speed, Action Surge and Cunning Actions. Is there anything I missed?
>inb4 "greater teleport"

I like creating my own settings, but I use the greyhawk pantheon of gods for any setting I create.

Just use the zombie stats. Same thing.

Proof that 5e is even edgier than its predecessor.

The new gender rules are further proof of this.

I don't know if you missed anything other than understanding the rules you're using.

Not even close.

Dark Sun, aside from being far more Jack Vance then most D&D settings even if they copy his magic system, also pretty heavily resembles stuff like the Barsoom novels where all the heroes are scantily clad manly men living in a brutal desert world fighting against cruel overlords and the alien-ness of everything is emphasized.

Boots of speed only increases walking speed, not flying speed.

I have a quick question about paladin's divine sense, does it tell the player what subtype the monster is that they detect? For instance, if they detect an undead, do they also know if it's a zombie/skeleton/vampire or do they only know "there's an undead nearby"?

Actually, Elk only works on walking speed too.

Mobile.

RACE
Wood elf - 35ft

CLASS
Monk 13 - +20ft
Barbarian 5 - +10ft
Elk barbarian - +15ft (while raging)
Fighter 2 - extra dash action (Action Surge)

SPELLS
Longstrider - +10ft
Haste - x2, extra dash action

EQUIPMENT
Boots of Speed - x2

ACTIONS
Action dash - +speed
Action Surge dash - +speed
Step of the Wind dash - +speed
Haste dash - +speed

BOONS
Boon of Speed - +30ft

FEATS
Mobile - +10ft

35 + 20 + 10 + 15 + 30 + 10 = 120
120 * 2 * 2 = 480

480 * 5 = 2,400 feet per round

Then add some abilities that a wendigo would have, fagot. Make your own goddamn stats, we are not your slaves. Understand me, motherfucker?

Is the fighter way op or have I misunderstood it so far? I'm running tyranny of dragons and one of the characters in my group is a half-elf two weapon fighter that somehow managed to 1v1 Cyanwrath in greenest. He's level 2 and the boss is like CR 4

Forgot to mention that I used that, too.
What rules am I not understanding?

You only get one cunning action, because you only get one bonus action.

What exactly did he do? Fighters are really strong this time around (which is awesome I love fighters) but he shouldn't be soloing a CR4 creature at level 2 without the blessing of the dice gods.

2WF falls off eventually but is pretty strong at the beginning levels. other than that probably just lucky rolls, though fighters have a decent chance of fighting that NPC iirc

Fighters used to be pretty based in 2e days too.
Wizards had more raw power but took longer to level and were REAL finicky; their more poweful spells could instantly end a fight but took awhile to get off, and if they got hit even ONCE they'd loose the spell before casting it, not to mention in most cases be halfway to dead.

Not the same user,

He's using two short swords with Dex 16, he only has about 18hp. Basically waited for the breath weapon and after succeeding the death save, used his second wind. Also used his action surge for a third attack during the fight.

Other than that he basically stood still and swung

>succeeding the death save
So he nat 20'd his death save?

While I'm not familiar with the monster you were using, wouldn't its breath weapon recharge?

Anyways, even on the round he Action Surged, he's be doing at most 3d6+9 damage, which averages out to 19.5, a fairly respectable amount, but still not quite enough to solo a CR4 monster.

So, just read through last thread with the whole paladin/necromancer stuff, and it gave me A GREAT IDEA
Uncontrolled undead go around killing folks, so wizards who wish to learn necromancy spells have to go join a knightly Order, where they are paired with a paladin buddy. As they are trained in necromancy, they have to go around the land solving local issues with their magic, and the paladin buddy makes sure no undead scurry off to eat people. After a time, the wizards gain the title of necromancer and are able to go do their own thing again.

Ah, yeah. The wording of Action Surge made me think there was another bonus action. My mistake. Thank you for correcting it.

it's piss poor wording.

Why not an aaracokra?

Necromancer swears that he wants to only do good with his powers.
Church puts a Paladin on him like a parole officer.

Let the sitcom begin.

Though I could see a fighter beating a CR 4 creature by themself in this edition, thanks to bound accuracy and most low CR creatures having a sub 14 DC, this sounds more like a case of lucky dice rolls. Also did you mean dex save or did he actually roll a natural 20 on his death save?

They have a slower walking speed than wood elves, and boots of speed only work on walking speed.

>bound accuracy
What's that?

> its piss poor wording

Par for the course in the 5e rule books.

tl;dr Wizards basically has a set range of numbers they want to have dice rolls/stats/DCs fall within. Hence the standardized progression of the proficiency bonus, AC being very hard to increase, a hard cap on stats, etc. This is in contrast to 3.5 which was unbounded, so you could expect to eventually do stuff like have a perception check of +20 (or higher), have a +8 to stealth at level 1, a strength score of 30 and so on.

Eberron is steampunk lite, it's better for a system like GURPS than DnD. It's also full of edgy crap, literal anime rip offs and it explains everything with "lolmagic" so it can pretend it's not steampunk

I'd rather play decent steampunk in a nonDnd (i.e. better designed) system where the developers haven't had their ass stuck up their ass for get past twenty years and pretend that shit like character background rules is a new concept.

If someone wanted your opinion they'd have fished it out of a public toilet.

A concept that dilutes your characters abilities even further and means a 20th level character is only 20% better at hitting than a 1st leveler. Same for skills. Bounded accuracy would be great in another dice mechanic but when a not 1 is just as as common ass a 10, it kinda fucks up the game.

It's better than previous editions so Veeky Forums fellates the concept without understanding how Shitty it is. Which is pretty normal for Veeky Forums but still.

I'm completely fucking stuck trying to write content for my next session.

Basically, the party has been running from a group of Yuan-ti who are rampaging through a jungle. The end goal of the Yuan-ti is to reach a nearby city, so they can sacrifice all its citizens in the hopes of turning one of their leaders into a god. Due to some recent cosmic shakeups, the plan of gaining divine power via sacrifice might actually be possible, and the party is pretty nervous about it. They're going to reach the city at the start of my next session.

I see a few ways to approach this:

>Abandon plot. This entire plothread has been kind of bad an railroady, so maybe they get to the city, people evacuate, and we move on to more interesting things. Sort of an extreme measure, would prefer not to.
>Introduce difficulty. The city doesn't want to evacuate, and doesn't believe the party. They have to find some way to convince them: either convince their mayor, convince their high priest, or convince the townsfolk directly. I can possibly add a ridiculous amount of corruption to the actual elected officials.
>Merge in other plot threads. The Yuan-ti were only able to stop the rampage because the party agreed to kill a Naga for them. The party agreed to kill the Naga because it had one of their NPC friends hostage. It would be contrived, but it's feasible that the Yuan-ti may have captured their NPC friend, leading to a possible search and rescue mission after the city is evacuated.
>Twist mechanics. The city is unable to be evacuated in time, but they can damn sure cover the city and surrounding area with traps! Have a lot of the session be focused on coordinating a trapping effort, with some battles spliced in.
>Interesting diplomacy. The city is ruled by some sort of powerful creature in disguise as a human. The party has to bargain with him/her to save the city.

Which do you think would be most fun to play?

If I wanted your opinion I'd ask you, but only after putting the hook into that elf's mouth and yanking hard to rip out her dental plate and let her brains seep into her sinuses.

That all sounds fucking terrible, you should probably quit Gming. Not even me memeing, but those are the poorest adventurer ideas I've seen in my 20 years of DM experience.

On the topic the OP raised... what are the opinions on the Elemental Planes and the Elemental Chaos? Which do you prefer, and why?

Myself, I prefer the Elemental Chaos. It's got all the glorious fantasy whilst not being mindbogglingly abstract - "oh, wow, there is lliterally nothing but an infinite sea of roaring flames in all 3 dimensions; fire above me, fire below me, fire to the left and right, and to the front and back!" - or hypocritical ("so, there's floating islands in the Plane of Air? Doesn't that mean that you got Earth in it somehow?").

With the Chaos, I can get my walking forests of metal trees gamboling majestically alongside the shores of a lake of liquid lightning, as a glacial anti-volcano of liquid ice is swept through the "sky" above on a whirling vortex of flames, and it actually makes sense for the region to have all that shit.

Kill everyone before the yuan ti get there.

>get to the city
>it's completely empty
>something worse than the yuan-ti beat them to it

>>Twist mechanics. The city is unable to be evacuated in time, but they can damn sure cover the city and surrounding area with traps! Have a lot of the session be focused on coordinating a trapping effort, with some battles spliced in.
>>Interesting diplomacy. The city is ruled by some sort of powerful creature in disguise as a human. The party has to bargain with him/her to save the city.

Present both of these as options and come up with a third and fourth option. It's currently railroad-y because you want the group to stop the yuan-ti but you haven't left open enough possibilities for how it can be done.

Go away Virt. No one likes you.

Basically this The bounded accuracy system has it's flaws but I like it a lot more that what 3.5 did with being completely unbound to the point to where creatures could become gods before level 10.

A 20th level character is 20% more accurate, but 400% more damaging. It's a much better tradeoff.

As I said, this plot thread is pretty shit, and I would like to abandon it. I actually struggle with DMing a bunch.

The overall plot of the entire campaign boils down to "Elder God came back, decided he didn't like how many small gods there were, told the gods they had a short period of time to impress him and that he would kill all those that didn't at the end of it." So the entire world is slowly falling into chaos. Unfortunately, ever since that was revealed, I think my campaign has started to become terrible. I need to introduce a more concrete antagonist for a bit, or something.

Oh, this might be really interesting, actually. There's quite a few groups that might have done something like that, some of which tie into character backstories, or the party's past actions. They have lied and said they were going to the city before.

For a while Tiamat was frantically trying to track down the party because they had something that could harm her, so there's a good chance she sent a dragon to torch the entire place, just in case they were actually there.

The cleric's twin sister did a bunch of not-nice things to Drow in the area as well. So there's a possibility that the drow may have sought to gain revenge on the mostly-elven City.

Do both of those sound terrible?

Yeah, that's why I hate this plot thread in general. It's a mega railroad, which I didn't realize until I was already way too deep.

I've actually apologized to the players for it and promised that things will get less railroady immediately after they finish. That's actually the reason why I wanted to just abandon the plot thread, which is starting to seem like a much better idea than it was before.

I'll try to come up with some other possible solutions to this problem.

Either of those could work. Building stories based on player actions and backgrounds is the best way to go about it.

How do I break the blood hunter class? I heard it was op but it looks pretty tame to me.

I've been playing it in CoS. It's really balanced so far as it is.

>Ah, adventurers! It's good that you warned us. Aaah, worry not, everything will be okay, thanks to you.
>Yes, the Yuan-Ti are a scourge upon this land, but a great many deal of years ago, my forefathers made a pact, and one that thanks to your warning, we will be ready to call upon
>Mayor pulls a macguffin
>The town square fills with citizens
>Now my people, give it our choir
>the mcgufin shines as the Yuan Ti crest upon the hill
>A great Deus Ex Machina incurrs. A great guardian comes, or the people are armed to their teeth or imbued with the spirit of crazy badasses
>The yuan ti are defeated, the day is saved
>Haha, did you truly believe you were the only ones of competence out in the world? Nay, but we are grateful to you. It took time
>Ah, but the charge has been expended. We are somewhat more defenseless without it
>Adventurers, you have done so much for us, won't you please do us this one last solid? Go to the QUEST for us, and renew our vow. Only then can we be again safe for good

That just continues the railroad, though. There's a lot of other stuff the characters in the party would like to do.

So for the next campaign I plan on running, I'm wanting to make a setting where some cataclysmic magic event happened that has flooded the world so that only roughly 10% of the world will be land. However I'm not the most familiar with water based creatures, outside of the koa tua, merfolk, merrow, and sea hags. What other water based creatures are there that I could have thriving in this world?

>Yuan Ti are preparing to attack the city when a dragon begins to circle it overhead, apparently investigating their forces from afar
>Scouts report that a drow raiding party is skulking about on the other side of it
>Massive 4 way shitfest ensues
This is how the Hobbit ends, right?

Aboleth for sure would make fantastic antagonists. Were sharks, sea elves, elementals, dire sealife also come to mind.

nah, it gives you a get out of rail road free coupon

The QUEST might just be THE TEMPLE OF ODIN'S BEARD in THAT TOWN OVER THERE where YOUR CHARACTER PERSONAL STORY arc lies.

There's no rush to it, the imediate threat has been neutralized, and you get a cheap reward along with whatever else you deem necessary to advance to the story that you want to do in the first place

as someone from the last thread I whole heartedly approve of this idea. 100%, sounds like a hilarious way to tie two back stories together.

Large/dire sharks and other such creatures will be used but not often. I definitely plan to put sea elves into this world in great amounts. Aboleths seem like a very interesting creature type to have causing great mischief and blight throughout the world, with very few of them helping people in exchange for slaves or something else. They would make deals and even enslave pirates, merrows/seahags, adventurers, seafolk, and so forth. Thanks.

Glad you guys are doing a thing on different planes and settings. I was looking for ways to incorporate the World Serpent Inn to my game. I want that to be the main base and was wondering what would be a good bar trinket I could casually give my players for their characters to hold onto that would allow them access to the bar when they need it?

Also Eberron is doable in 5th ed right? I liked Eberron more than FR and tire of all the FR stuff.

Eberron has it's own unearthed arcana blurp, so yeah, very doable.

I would say they can tell how powerful it is and overtime recognise certain common creatures.

A 10 foot trade iirc is most likely worth being able to fly.

it isn't a 10 foot trade, with all the doubling that is going on. But this is also theory crafting the fastest possible character, so your response, while probably accurate, is irrelevant.

is there a pdf? :) xxx

Additionally since the goal is renewing their vow, the adventurers don't actually have to return. Pull something so they get rewarded over in the new turn and they never have to look back.

Somehow, I saw kuo toa as koalas, and I wanted to ask you where the aquatic koalas were at.

Sure, here ya go.
dnd.rem.uz/Advanced D&D (unsorted)/Setting - Dark Sun Campaign Setting (Revised).pdf

I like Dark Sun, but I never know what to run there.

If I'm typing out a homebrew, is there any font or way I can make it fit in with the official handbooks?
I'd like to have a nice looking pdf, if possible

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/

Mad Max. Just run mad max adventures.

Ah thank you.

I haven't paid attention to 5e in a while. What setting resources are available out there? Last I paid attention it was just the Sword Coast Player's Guide.

For that matter, what splats are out?