Not-DnD thread

I'm attempting to get my group to play something that isn't DnD, as some of us are sick of dungeon crawling and a ruleset that is 90% combat-oriented. The only suggestion so far has been Ryuutama, but I'd like to know what else is out there.

The setting we're going for is airships the-sky-is--ocean age of sail type deal.

What should we play?

Other urls found in this thread:

easydamus.com/CustomCharacters.html#BasicD20
fate-srd.com/
pastebin.com/By7xZAQL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

While this looks interesting I don't think it's quite what we're looking for user.

Maybe you need to stop being butthurt and spamming dumb threads about how much you dislike a popular game?

All these lies about the limitations of D&D or all these empty criticisms just serve to reveal your motive, and it's not to find a game other than D&D for your imaginary group, but to get a nice little soapbox for you to bitch and moan.

Why be such a fag? Just ask for game recommendations if you actually want them, and don't act like a dumb cunt.

What.

Oh, I see there is another not-DnD thread in the catalog. I really didn't know user.

Next time, text your friend so you can coordinate your spam better.

Or better yet, just both of you stop being fags.

Adapt the racing for exploring.

You could always use first edition 7th Sea. Highlfying swashbuckling sky pirates sounds amazing to me.

Inverse World.

>describes a Ryuutama setting
>posts Ryuutama in the OP pic
>needs to ask what game to use
JFC I don't even know how to...
Nah I'm done, I give up, take me away from all this, Candlej

Don't worry about

He's just some sperg who shows anytime someone badmouths 3.X for the shitty system that it is.

To keep it on topic though, nWoD does have a supplement for running games that go cross country.

Oh look, it's eternally triggered bitch-user.

You could say the same about

Don't forget to include Basically, one triggers the next, and it all starts from a few idiots who will be eternally triggered by D&D's popularity.

You're the one who came into the thread sperging out and accusing people of being trolls.

The thread wasn't even badmouthing D&D specifically, OP was asking for a change of pace and here you are, throwing a bitch fit for no reason.

Get help, or just stop going into threads that trigger you this much.

lolwut? OP didn't do shit. You're the one who came in and started going full retard because someone wanted a change of pace. No wonder nobody wants to play dee an dee anymore if they have to deal with spergs like you.

>tfw you will never be this mad over a game for children.

Feels good man.

I think The One Ring has good rules for traveling.

C'mon now, ETBA.

Let's not pretend. OP could have asked a simple question, but instead decided he first wanted to repeat the same kind of bullshit you always spew about how D&D can only do one sort of campaign.

Hell, think about it logically. If OP actually played D&D, he'd have tried something other than dungeon crawling and combat, and satisfied his group quite easily. In fact, with his next setting involving airships, he could have looked at Eberron for inspiration and rules.

It's a troll thread, and here you are. Now, tell me more about how OP just wanted system recommendations, when system ultimately has nothing to do with any of his expressed concerns and changing systems wouldn't intrinsically fix any of his issues.

There is no conspiracy to troll you. Step away from the computer, get a juicebox, and clean the sand out of your vagina. You are acting silly.

Could you possibly be any more triggered user?

ETBA, let's keep things simple.

I'm not talking conspiracy. I'm explaining what OP did, like you think that it's hard to see.
Like OP didn't do everything as I described.

You might be willing to pretend that your silly "D&D can only do one thing" and "Changing systems fixes everything" mantra can be repeated unchallenged, but that's hardly the case. It's just the same compound lies you've been oft-repeating, and frankly, as long as you believe in them, people playing D&D will continue to upset you.

If you're sick of DnD try pathfinder.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The only one that's upset ITT is you mate.

Are all 3aboos this easy to trigger?

It's the same shit, just slightly different issues.

>not even trying to hide being a troll anymore

I guess that's it. Didn't take long for you to break down tonight.

>So buttflustered he thinks the multiple people disagreeing with him are one "troll"

Please, take a nap, we're all very worried about you. Why does it even matter if people don't like your pet system? Accept it and move on. It's not like you can do anything about it anyway, even if you wanted to.

Been playing a ryuutama game for a few months.
Right now the party is working as maids and butlers to help out by a large group of dignitaries that arrived at a seaside hotel early.

Really? I thought it was pretty good. How about exalted?

Exalted is good but only if you don't really take it seriously.

Then again, I only played it once like four years ago so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Dude please, I can only laugh so hard.

And I call you a 3aboo because you come into a thread and go into a tard tantrum just because someone, somewhere, *gasp* doesn't like D&D.

Log off the computer and reevaluate your life if this is what you do in your spare time.

Ayyyyyy, wonder what the most powerful configuration is....

FUCK Ryuutama. Game's fir worthless fucking weebs.

Last game of it I played had two players roleplay undressing a little girl together while the GM acted out the responses.

>This sytem is shit because the people I play with are shit.

okay...

I think this has a lot more to do with your friends than the RPG. Nothing is stopping people from doing that in DnD.

You're right our DnD turned into an elf being brought to orgasm through her ears, by her changling ward within 3 sessions.

I'm not sure what is worse. That you are lying about this for some sick sexual fantasy or that you are actually playing with faggots who would do this shit.

You'd hate to hear the shit my Nechronica group did, then.

I'm sure I would but do tell anyways.

>describes a Ryuutama setting
Uh...
>The setting we're going for is airships the-sky-is--ocean age of sail type deal.
I'm not seeing it, user. Really not seeing it.

There was handholding, snuggling, and even group bathing

Oh, and also one's a zonbie cannibal that ate their way through a mutated zombeast after drilling its face off

>ETBA
...East Texas Beekeeper's Association?

Aw come on, you have to finish saying 'candlejack' first, otherwise how would he even be able to get y

Somewhat related, I'd like to play d&d5e (because it has tons of good third party stuff) using file related for PCs but it isn't really compatible.

I just really like the idea of having a sort of classless system and the skill system. Is there any way to make it compatible or am I just shit out of luck?

I've read through it and I think it's a pretty cool melange of systems. Because of the sprawling nature of the d20 System it's very open ended. Intimidating, because it requires a lot of cross-system mastery from a GM to make full use of much of its potential.

I'm not totally sure why you couldn't just run it as is with 5e materials. Just use the HP option for health and the suggestions for using D&D armor/weapon damage (that is, not using Dodge or Parry), and just use everything as is in the given module. It should still function well enough.

There are Ryuutama rulesets for ocean going vessels and airships, and scenarios for each. It's a Ryuutama setting, if you want to play that way.

Dunno how hard to find, but there's an old game from last decade called 'Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies'.
It uses PDQ, a variant on Fudge. (I think? I dunno, but it's a really simple system.)
If nothing else, I remember the writer being a cool guy, and giving decent swashbuckler advice. One of the best writers in Pyramid magazine, too. Shame he seemed to vanish off the map.

1E 7th sea would work for dueling and such (though it may require some numbers jury-rigging), but if I remember correctly, the actual rules for ship stuff were...lacking. Just as a rejoining warning.

1e Exalted is good, if you don't take it seriously and/or accept that taking certain character options will cause the game to implode and explode at the same time.
2e Exalted actually requires you to take everything SUPER SERIOUSLY, because they decided what was really important was ridiculous number-crunching.
3E is good once you've drank enough lye straight out of the bottle.

Not to derail thread, but...is Ryuutama worth taking a look at? I mean, I only kind of get what it's trying to do, but does it at least do it in a good, fun way?

It's a lot of fun but very much not DnD.
The focus is on exploring and interacting with people.

Thing is I tried making characters for both 5e and Basic D20.

The problems that came were ability saves (Con saves, Dex saves, etc.) Are lumped into three categories, fortitude, reflex, and will. You can now just focus all of your power points into 3 when it should be on proficiencies. And with that comes to mind skill ranks.

In 5e the max bonus for a skill is 11, 17 if you have double proficiency. So... how do you go about distributing skill rank limits between levels? Do you cut the absolute maximum off at 11? Or 17 if you have a Profession skill rank in bard? Well now players just have more PP to spend on feats and spellcaster levels they shouldn't have.

In fact I even "converted" some 5e characters into Basic D20. A human variant druid (circle of the land) at 20th level usually has about 40 pp left.

Pic related is what I'm feeling right now.

>Cutting it off at 11 or 17
Sorry, meant 6 and 12. Forgot that I was including ability modifiers in that.

I think that you need a pretty good group that's on board with what the game is about (lighthearted adventure, heavy emphasis on the lightheartedness, and the travel), but if you do, then you're gonna have a pretty good time.

If you're really worried, then increase the cost of saves and other combat skills and lower the max skill rank cap.

Regarding the PP investment to make a cheesed-out 5e Druid, I think you may have added something up wrong: just for the 20 profession ranks, lvl. 9 druid spell slot access, and the normal druid spell list it's running at 145 PP. That doesn't leave a lot of room for maxing out toughness and saves, even if you limit saves to 6 ranks.

You need a good group and a good DM.

I also feel its important to read the book carefully. It's a specific system designed to do specific things and I feel like all the pieces have an important role.

>exploring and interacting with people

My D&D games have a lot of exploring and interacting with people though...

>Normal druid spell list is running at 145PP
How? Isn't it only 2 pp for a druid spellcaster level?
Or are you talking about spells costing PP? (Because I have no idea wtf it meant by that)

>Candlejack

Really? Can't we leave these fucking memes back in 2007 where they belong? Seriously, it's like saying "Mi

Why is it harder to be a Martial-type in a combat oriented game?

pls resbond
I've never played M&M or 3.5, just Pathfinder and 5e so I have no idea what it means when casting spells has XP costs.

Put skill ranks in Fight, Shoot, Fortitude, Reflex, Profession (martial class), and your martial classes advantages. Enjoy minmaxing with left over PP.

I was more referring to the way it says that combat oriented campaigns should make the cost higher for raising physical ability scores (Strength 3, Dexterity 4, everything else 2).

It feels like an unnecessary cost that just makes playing a Martial sort of character more costly.

I have never heard of these before. I want them.

Well, to be fair spellcaster levels cost 2-5 pp.

Yeah, but their Ability increases are only 2. Then again, it looks like each skill increase only costs 1 PP? Or is it cumulative so it's one per level so buying a sixth rank in something costs 6 PP?

It's each skill increase costs the same. They aren't cumulative.
You only get 10 pp per level so that would kind of be retarded if it was cumulative.

You get 1 to...I don't know, maybe as much as 5, PP per session if you're participating well. Once you cross a level threshhold that raises some ceilings on what you can do.

Don't forget that you have to also buy the spells, plus the prerequisite profession skill for that spellcasting. As a martial you could skate buy largely on feats, especially if your GM considers Fantasy Craft kosher for game content.

Oh, plus by default the Fight skill can also count as Fighter level for feat prereqs.

Im setting up a game of FATE core. its good because its story and character based. Plus it encourages you to invent your own setting, so you aren't limited to generic fantasy.

GURPS would work pretty well. Its kinda hard and time consuming for the gm, start with GURPS lite and work your way up.

Ah. I guess I assumed this was just a way to keep the disparity between Casters and Martials intact, but it looks like I was wrong.

At the same time, it feels like the system expects me to know a few other systems in order to use it properly.

Also, when they talk about Unearthed Arcana, which one are they referring to? The 2e Unearthed Arcana (Which those were articles, right?), the 3e book, or the 5e testing ground?

>Also, when they talk about Unearthed Arcana, which one are they referring to?
I looked into it and by the way it's referred to in other Basic d20 stuff, it's definitely talking about the 3e book.

Speaking of, the guy who did this has a hell of a lot of companion content and different rules options on his site.
easydamus.com/CustomCharacters.html#BasicD20

>the system expects me to know a few other systems in order to use it properly.
Yeah. I'm the kind of guy that likes learning new RPGs and playing around with those subsystems, and this is pretty intimidating.

I feel like it'd be a lot more comfortable if I was more familiar with Mutants and Masterminds.

I don't mean to discourage you, but be ready to make some stuff up if you plan to use super-natural abilities, i.e. magic, psionics, power armor because winging such things tends to be difficult in the long run.

If you want to those kinds of things in your game I would also suggest reading the Fate Toolkit book

is right; Fate Core is more of a toolkit system. It's good for a lot of things, but depending on how you want the game to express some concepts it can require a lot of under-the-hood finagling. Pulling more finished, pre-made stuff from other Fate books or the Toolkit can save some headaches.

They added a lot of stuff like that to the SRD to help with that, though: fate-srd.com/

I don't think you should buy spells, instead they should come with spellcaster levels. Anyways, I came up with the following for 5e.

>Limit max skill ranks at 2 for 1st level, 3 for 5th, 4 for 9th, 5 for 13th, and 6 for 17th, like proficiency bonuses. This excludes Profession (class), Toughness, and Fight/Shoot for the sake of fighter class feats (but attack bonuses are limited like normal skills). Because of this, skills not mentioned previously now cost 2pp to advance.
>Spells are included when buying a spellcaster level
>Spell Save DC is treated as such: 8 + spellcasting ability + spell level
>The Spell Penetration combat stat is now used instead of spell attack, it is treated as such: current max skill rank + spellcasting ability modifier

I used this to make a 3rd level sorcerer and it seemed fine. I'll make a 3rd level fighter next.

Oh fuck, I forgot to list this under
>Limit max skill ranks

>If you take 2 or more ranks in Profession (Bard), skill rank maximums are now doubled.
should this also make all skills cost 1 pp again? Or keep it at 2pp?

I keep fucking forgetting shit. Last post til someone responds, promise.

>Backgrounds offer no bonus proficiencies, skill ranks, or feats. You have the option to buy your optional background feat, but the main purpose of backgrounds is starting items.
>Racial bonuses cost nothing and are automatically applied to your character.

>I feel like it'd be a lot more comfortable if I was more familiar with Mutants and Masterminds.

Honestly, it'd be a little better if it were more self-contained and just listed out the rules it's referring to, and maybe put like a blurb referring to the book it's from, the page, etc.

I don't know if I'd raise the price of skills across the board. I feel like changing PP required to hit each level seems like more of a sure-thing to balance that, when married with the new rank caps. That's more work, though. Hm. How about increase the standard broad skill cost to two, but also up the 'freebie' PP/session from 1 to 2?

I think, as far as helping push skill-monkey types go, I'd offer a new feat/advantage that raises the max skill rank of a skill category each time you take the feat. The question there is, by how much? I say by 2. Spellcasting level/slots are still capped as they're powers, not skills.

I was going to note that I'd have 5e's Expertise class feature, and 'double proficiency' things in particular, apply only to specialty skills--but then I realized that's already how it works per Basic d20.

>Spell Save DC is treated as such: 8 + spellcasting ability + spell level
Oh, I like this. It makes using higher-level spell slots more valuable than they normally are in 5e.

There's something kind of like that on that Basic 20 page, but it's still vague here and there. The game's apparently based mostly on rules options from M&M's "Mastermind's Manual", along with the D20 System SRD in general. Custom Characters is a kind of less-universal precursor for Basic d20, by the same author. Most of the compatible Custom Characters content was repackaged with Basic d20 in mind in the "Basic d20 Class Advantages" PDF.

Attached is the Rules Checklist, which runs through various mechanics, many with commentary about how they're used, along with page reference numbers from the Masermind's Manual.

>How about increase the standard broad skill cost to two, but also up the 'freebie' PP/session from 1 to 2?
What freebies are you talking about? Do you mean increasing the 10 PP gained at level 0? I think that could work... I actually tried making that 3rd level fighter and after maxing the combat skills (like any player would) and buying the fighter feats, I found little room for armor and weapon proficiencies.

>I think, as far as helping push skill-monkey types go, I'd offer a new feat/advantage that raises the max skill rank of a skill category each time you take the feat. The question there is, by how much? I say by 2. Spellcasting level/slots are still capped as they're powers, not skills.
Yes when I said "when you take 2 or more ranks in Profession (Bard) what I meant to say was "when you take the Expertise bard feature" of which you already noted. However I don't know what you mean by capping spellcasting levels/slots? (I just realized now and will delete everything i was about to say, let me explain how i think spellcasting should work and thought how it worked at first)

You gain spell levels and slots as you progress with buying the spellcasting powers (Wizardly Spellcasting, Druid Spellcasting, etc.) as if you were leveling up a normal 5e spellcaster i.e. gaining slots and spells. However you can only buy a spellcaster level up to the Profession (spellcasting class) skill rank you have. For example if Johan has 1 rank in Profession (Bard) and 2 in Profession (Sorcerer), he can take Bardic Spellcasting one time and Sorcerer Spellcasting two times. Thus he will gain the known spells for a bard at 1st level and the known spells for a sorcerer at 2nd level.
The spell slots in which you are able to cast work just like multiclassing spellcaster classes. The earlier mentioned Johan being 3rd level and putting ranks into Bardic Spellcasting and Sorcerer Spellcasting will have four 1st level and two 2nd level spell slots.

cont.

Cont.

And before I forget, I will mention that "skill proficiencies" you gain from your race are Skill Focus feats, where explained in the Basic D20 PDF, add a bonus of +3 to a specialty.

>5e specialties
I made this thing as well
>Athletics
(Acrobatics)
(Athletics)
>Awareness
(Insight)
(Investigation)
(Perception)
>Interaction
(Deception)
(Intimidation)
(Persuasion)
>Knowledge
(History)
(Religion)
>Performance
>Science
(Arcana)
(Medicine)
>Thievery
(Sleight of Hand)
(Stealth)
>Wilderness
(Animal Handling)
(Nature)
(Survival)

>What freebies are you talking about?
The "reward for showing up" bit under Advancement.

Ah, yeah I would increase it to 2 as well.

Anyways here's the modified rules for basic d20. >pastebin.com/By7xZAQL
Anything missing or I forgot to change?

Pic unrelated

>You need a good group and a good DM.
Doesn't that describe all systems though?

Some more than others. I find that systems with skills and tools for the players to interact with the world in a number of ways naturally lend themselves to creating interesting scenarios.

Mostly what you would need in other systems is just the good DM part and the players just need to be not assholes.

what does it mean by buying spells and xp costs?

>The setting we're going for is airships the-sky-is--ocean age of sail type deal.
People have mentioned that there's literally a Ryuutama setting for this. I haven't seen the setting, but it sounds like a really good fit for the game, especially if you're trying to emphasize the "Big wonderful world out there" side of the idea.

Play Ryuutama.

That actually sounds quite lovely with the right group of people. Roleplaying that isn't purely "evil vs good" or "the world is full of monsters and we are all struggling". Pretty cool, user.

bump

>Candlej
That's not how the meme works.

There was a pretty good Ryuutama atmosphere thread yesterday, with a literal shit-ton of images...

Can't find it in the archive though? :/

Aherpaderp, maybe because it isn't in the archive yet? :3